PDA

View Full Version : Gary Stevens

Mad Scientist
05-11-2014, 10:10 AM
It seemed like for awhile that Gary Stevens was winning every big race and now the last few months he has gone ice cold. I wonder if he is just in a slump or if his age is beginning to catch up to him a little bit ...

olddaddy
05-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Yea no buzz for stevens these days.

Mineshaft
05-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Hes 23% this year nothing wrong with that

Mad Scientist
05-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah his overall stats for the year are still good but I think that's mostly because of how hot he was before. I have not done the math but I am almost sure if you look at just his last 6 weeks that he is not close to 23% ...

Fingal
05-11-2014, 12:34 PM
Both the old guys are doing pretty good in terms of the money per start list.

#1. Mike Smith 26,192

#2 Gary Stevens 25,519

If Stevens is in a slump, I'd say most jocks would want that to happen to them.

TheEdge07
05-11-2014, 12:41 PM
Costas interviews Assmussen on the Peta video,,,,

no interview with Stevens and Lukas? :confused:

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 04:16 PM
Horrendous ride by Gary on Silentio.

Yikes.

bks
05-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Why? Because he tried to win?

I bet the 4 heavy to win, and endorse the ride. If I had 2-4, I'd be upset but I'd understand.

horses4courses
05-17-2014, 04:38 PM
Horrendous ride by Gary on Silentio.

Yikes.

He ran into a buzzsaw today.
Obviously is back somewhere close to his best - at least for now.
Fractions were solid.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 05:30 PM
Why? Because he tried to win?

I bet the 4 heavy to win, and endorse the ride. If I had 2-4, I'd be upset but I'd understand.
Here's why.

Because he took his horse out of his game while keeping the front runner IN his game. The front runners game is go as fast as possible and he's shown he can go as fast as possible and still win. Gary's horse needed to sit 2nd and go slowly and hope the frontrunner "overrated".

His ride wouldn't have been so bad if he knew what the front running horse was all about, but he just rode as if he didnt know that horse. He wasnt going to hurt that horse by pressing him, but he took his own horse out of that horse's game and cost himself 2nd for really no reason.

cato
05-17-2014, 08:55 PM
TwinSpires stats for Gary Stevens

Last 14 days 10 20.0%

Last 30 days 22 13.6%

Last 90 days 71 21.1%

therussmeister
05-17-2014, 09:56 PM
Here's why.

Because he took his horse out of his game while keeping the front runner IN his game. The front runners game is go as fast as possible and he's shown he can go as fast as possible and still win. Gary's horse needed to sit 2nd and go slowly and hope the frontrunner "overrated".

His ride wouldn't have been so bad if he knew what the front running horse was all about, but he just rode as if he didnt know that horse. He wasnt going to hurt that horse by pressing him, but he took his own horse out of that horse's game and cost himself 2nd for really no reason.
Maybe he did exactly what the trainer told him to do.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 11:25 PM
Maybe he did exactly what the trainer told him to do.

I don't think too many people are giving Gary Stevens instructions, but i think Gary just took it on himself, if you ride like Gary rode, nobody can criticize you because he can just say "i tried to win" and you can't really argue with an aggressive ride, i just think that in this particular situation, riding like that would have only been good if the front runner was a horse who needed a slower pace to perform his best...but that winner has shown the ability to travel high rate of speed and keep going..i felt he could have ridden to the situation better.

Hard2Like
05-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Saw post race interview with G Stevens on derby day undercard after winning ride on Global View(I believe). Said horse he trailed pooped all over him during the race. Yes, he was wearing quite a grin.

Racey
05-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Rajiv a new one after the derby called him out on a careless ride cutting several horses off with no respect for the other riders....... accurate as Rajiv sucks big time.

the little guy
05-19-2014, 01:36 PM
Rajiv a new one after the derby called him out on a careless ride cutting several horses off with no respect for the other riders....... accurate as Rajiv sucks big time.

It wasn't accurate, as it was Nakatani's mount that was drifting, and tightened things up on Candy Boy with Stevens riding, who had to check when Rajiv held his ground on Wicked Strong. Stevens was wrong to lash out at Rajiv after the race.

Dark Horse
05-19-2014, 02:45 PM
I'll never forget Rajiv on Caleb's Posse. He's a good rider. Not very classy from Stevens to call him out. Compare to Napravnik who said nothing, even though Borel (on the #6 horse next to her) completely took her out of the race on #5 Bayern (a speed horse) with one of his 'Cajun' left turns out of the gate, no doubt intended for #3 California Chrome. Watch the head on view out of the gate if you haven't seen it.

As to Stevens. Riders go through hot and cold spells, much like gamblers. Among two or three riders I was down on just last year, one was called ... Espinoza.

PhantomOnTour
05-19-2014, 02:48 PM
I'll never forget Rajiv on Caleb's Posse. He's a good rider. Not very classy from Stevens to call him out. Compare to Napravnik who said nothing, even though Borel (on the #6 horse next to her) completely took her out of the race on #5 Bayern (a speed horse) with one of his 'Cajun' left turns out of the gate, no doubt intended for #3 California Chrome. Watch the head on view out of the gate if you haven't seen it.

As to Stevens. Riders go through hot and cold spells, much like gamblers. Among two or three riders I was down on just last year, one was called ... Espinoza.
Ring Weekend got bounced around in that melee also....took him out of his speed game.

Show Me the Wire
05-19-2014, 04:10 PM
It wasn't accurate, as it was Nakatani's mount that was drifting, and tightened things up on Candy Boy with Stevens riding, who had to check when Rajiv held his ground on Wicked Strong. Stevens was wrong to lash out at Rajiv after the race.

Agree. Steven's should have held his tongue until he had seen the whole view of the race and not relied on his limited subjective view during the race.

Show Me the Wire
05-19-2014, 04:15 PM

Calvin is notorious for this maneuver. He drove Gomez on Looking at Lucky coming out of the one hole into the rail. Nothing new on Calvin's part.

Dark Horse
05-19-2014, 07:15 PM
Calvin is notorious for this maneuver. He drove Gomez on Looking at Lucky coming out of the one hole into the rail. Nothing new on Calvin's part.

I know. He's taken out many a big favorite that way. And it's not even mentioned in the horse racing media. He should have been DQ'd. As long as he's not, he'll continue to do it.

Stillriledup
05-22-2014, 07:54 PM
Nice ride by Gary in the last race at SA.

:eek:

JohnGalt1
05-24-2014, 08:32 AM
For the first time since 1998 at Del Mar Gary and his older brother Scott will ride against each other in the Met Mile on Belmont day.

Good video story on HRTV.com about the Stevens brothers.

Stillriledup
06-11-2014, 09:12 PM
Another "nice ride" by Gary.
http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/noseda-critical-of-stevens-grandeur-ride/1671447/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

Striker
07-10-2014, 11:30 PM
http://www.hrtv.com/videos/hrtv-exclusive-gary-stevens-sidelined-needs-knee-surgery/

Stillriledup
10-31-2014, 01:40 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoLs0V8T5AA

JustRalph
10-31-2014, 02:14 AM
Watched an HRTV spot on his surgery. The fact that he is riding this week is amazing if you ask me.

Tough

Mineshaft
10-31-2014, 09:02 AM
no mounts since July and hes riding in the Breeders Cup?

very good jock but its like he wants to be in the limelight and wants some mounts for the BC. Selfish?

Grits
10-31-2014, 09:31 AM
no mounts since July and hes riding in the Breeders Cup?

very good jock but its like he wants to be in the limelight and wants some mounts for the BC. Selfish?

C'mon, are you serious? If what you do for a living earned you the level of income that riding has, Stevens, wouldn't your goal be getting back? His total payday last year for, both, the Classic and the Distaff wins alone were staggering. .... Nah, don't think this is about selfishness and limelight.

Mineshaft
10-31-2014, 11:02 AM
C'mon, are you serious? If what you do for a living earned you the level of income that riding has, Stevens, wouldn't your goal be getting back? His total payday last year for, both, the Classic and the Distaff wins alone were staggering. .... Nah, don't think this is about selfishness and limelight.

Very serious

OverlayHunter
10-31-2014, 11:33 AM
Mineshaft, whether or not you are correct about Stevens being selfish, I find it very difficult to believe that trainers and owners are going to give him live mounts in a Breeder's Cup race if they believe Steven's is not fully up to the task. This is not a day for loyalty or prayer - too many $$$ on the line and there are too many other competent jockeys available. If Steven's is up to the task, then he's a good choice.