PDA

View Full Version : Bejarano

Dark Horse
05-10-2014, 05:47 PM
Bejarano just took a major spill with Gameboy Luke. Looked horrible.
Man, I hope he's ok. Pray for that guy.

precocity
05-10-2014, 05:49 PM
man that look bad !!! praying for you Bejarano.

nijinski
05-10-2014, 07:08 PM
He's in my prayers .

Skanoochies
05-10-2014, 07:10 PM
Haven`t seen it. Certainly hoe he comes out of it with as little
damage as possible, as well as any horses. :( :2b:

breezing
05-10-2014, 07:14 PM
that was especially ugly (they all are but he appeared to get trampled by several horses) - nothing but well wishes for him.

JimmyQ
05-10-2014, 07:37 PM
Went to the hospital complaining of shoulder pain

JimmyQ

Dark Horse
05-10-2014, 07:59 PM
Went to the hospital complaining of shoulder pain

JimmyQ

Would be great if he got off with a few scratches.

Horse didn't make it. :ThmbDown:

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/bejarano-taken-to-hospital-after-santa-anita-spill/

nijinski
05-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Broke his shoulder blades , collarbone and rib , per agent .

May he have a speedy recovery !

breezing
05-10-2014, 10:19 PM
glad there is no head/spinal injuries!

Robert Fischer
05-10-2014, 10:58 PM
Such a tough sport.

BettinBilly
05-10-2014, 11:19 PM
Saw this on HRTV. Horrible. The only part of our sport that is gut wrenching. Thoughts and prayers for Rafael for a speedy and full recovery, and condolences to the Owners and Trainer for the loss of Gameboy Luke.

Tall One
05-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Flipped over from the NFL draft , and caught it live too, Billy. Did he just take a bad step? I rewound it a few times, and I didn't see anything else that caused it.

JimmyQ
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
Crazy how stewards tell DRF the guy had some shoulder pain and it turns out to be broken shoulder, ribs, and collarbone.
Hoping for a speedy recovery. It will be interesting to see what jock benefits the most from his absence.

JimmyQ

Mad Scientist
05-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Best wishes to Bejarano for a speedy recovery.

I know there is talk about Garret Gomez being very close to a return. The jockey colony in Southern California was already pretty thin even before the Bejarano injury. Gomez could end up picking up a lot of live mounts upon his return.

Knowclew
05-11-2014, 09:40 PM
Not a fan of his at all, but I suspect Kent D may be lurking and benefit
a ton, if he can stay away from GoGo and PVal.

Tall One
05-11-2014, 10:27 PM
Not a fan of his at all, but I suspect Kent D may be lurking and benefit
a ton, if he can stay away from GoGo and PVal.

He won at SA today, and I believe they said he picked-up mount.

Greyfox
05-12-2014, 12:37 AM
If Bejarano is healthy, he's as good or better than I've seen in decades of watching racing.

He is "at one with the horse" at any point in a race, with respect to balance and timing, and hence maximizes that horse's potential on any given race or day.

precocity
05-12-2014, 12:39 AM
If Bejarano is healthy, he's as good or better than I've seen in decades of watching racing.

He is "at one with the horse" at any point in a race, with respect to balance and timing, and hence maximizes that horse's potential on any given race or day.
:ThmbUp: right on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 06:27 AM

He's the best in the game. If i were to rank jocks in America, he would be ranked first on my list.

Thebigguy
05-12-2014, 06:53 AM
He's the best in the game. If i were to rank jocks in America, he would be ranked first on my list.

I would have him somewhere around 10. I know he got hurt and that's to bad, but I think some of you are being overly generous.

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 05:03 PM
I would have him somewhere around 10. I know he got hurt and that's to bad, but I think some of you are being overly generous.

You can have a mulligan, it was early in the morning when you posted this, we will let it slide because we like you. :ThmbUp:

Mad Scientist
05-12-2014, 09:00 PM
In my opinion ...

Best big race rider - Mike Smirh

Best rider day in and day out - Russell Baze

Bejarano would not even crack my top 10. Sure he was cleaning up at SA but really who else is riding out there ? Talamo is really the only other top level jock. The rest are mostly just Los Alamitos jockeys. Not that they are bad, but it's obvious that Bejarano is going to get most of the live mounts.

dannyhill
05-12-2014, 09:10 PM
In my opinion ...

Best big race rider - Mike Smirh

Best rider day in and day out - Russell Baze

Bejarano would not even crack my top 10. Sure he was cleaning up at SA but really who else is riding out there ? Talamo is really the only other top level jock. The rest are mostly just Los Alamitos jockeys. Not that they are bad, but it's obvious that Bejarano is going to get most of the live mounts.
Everything you said above is 200% true for Russell Baze.

Mad Scientist
05-12-2014, 09:12 PM
Here is 10 jockeys just off the top of my head in no particular order that if I owned a derby horse I would rather have ride for me than Bejarano ...

Mike Smith
Russell Baze
Joel Rosario
John Valesquez
Julien Leparoux
Rosie Napravnik
Jose Ortiz
Joe Talamo
Calvin Borel
Joe Bravo

And that is just the first 10 that came to mind. I am sure I left at least another 10 out that if I sat and actually thought about it I would come up with.

If Bejarano is on chalk than he's not going to screw it up. He's a competent rider. I just rarely ever see him move horses up ....

Mad Scientist
05-12-2014, 09:15 PM
Did you mean to say that you thought everything I said was correct except for Baze being best day in and day out rider ?

ultracapper
05-12-2014, 09:41 PM
Good luck to Bejarano. He's been one of my favorites for years. Having said that, there were a number of times over the past 4 or 5 years when he and GoGo would be dueling with the 2 best horses in the race, and Gomez would school him. Now I know Gomez at the top of his game is exceptional, but Bejarano has some work to do it would seem to get to Gomez's level. And he can move a horse up, particularly if it's a closer. His timing is pretty sharp to the wire.

ultracapper
05-12-2014, 09:42 PM
And I'll take him over Talamo any day. Talamo can get a little rough with his mounts in the stretch.

dannyhill
05-12-2014, 09:54 PM
Did you mean to say that you thought everything I said was correct except for Baze being best day in and day out rider ?
What you said about Bejarano applies to Baze at Golden Gate.

dasch
05-12-2014, 10:15 PM
If Bejarano is on chalk than he's not going to screw it up. He's a competent rider. I just rarely ever see him move horses up ....

I STRONGLY disagree with this statement. Bejarano is the ONLY rider who rides socal day in and day out that improves horses he rides on a daily basis over other jockeys and its not even close. Thats why he won the last meet by about 40 wins over the next rider.

Mad Scientist
05-12-2014, 11:30 PM
That's a fair point that Baze gets the vast majority of live mounts at Golden Gate similiar to Bajarano at SA, but Baze has been doing it consistently at Golden Gate for MANY years and it was not always like it is now . Baze was getting a lot of winners back when their was a very strong jockey colony at golden gate/ bay meadows.There was a time they had Baze , Hansen , warren, r .gonzalez, m. Castaneda all riding there at the same time and blaze was still getting it done.

Stillriledup
05-13-2014, 02:28 AM
Here is 10 jockeys just off the top of my head in no particular order that if I owned a derby horse I would rather have ride for me than Bejarano ...

Mike Smith
Russell Baze
Joel Rosario
John Valesquez
Julien Leparoux
Rosie Napravnik
Jose Ortiz
Joe Talamo
Calvin Borel
Joe Bravo

And that is just the first 10 that came to mind. I am sure I left at least another 10 out that if I sat and actually thought about it I would come up with.

You don't see him move horses up? You don't watch So Cal races carefully i'm guessing.

Stillriledup
05-13-2014, 02:43 AM

Mike Smith
Russell Baze
Joel Rosario
John Valesquez
Julien Leparoux
Rosie Napravnik
Jose Ortiz
Joe Talamo
Calvin Borel
Joe Bravo

And Jose Ortiz just printed out this post and framed it on his wall. :D

GMB@BP
05-13-2014, 10:06 AM
Sorry to see he was so badly injured.

I think RB is a fine rider, though doesnt he seem at his best kinda away from the biggest stages? His rides in the BC and Triple Crown have sometimes been head scratchers, at least that is my recollection right after the races were run.

Stillriledup
05-13-2014, 03:34 PM
Sorry to see he was so badly injured.

I think RB is a fine rider, though doesnt he seem at his best kinda away from the biggest stages? His rides in the BC and Triple Crown have sometimes been head scratchers, at least that is my recollection right after the races were run.

His success or lack of success in Big races doesn't change how he rides cheap claimers and maidens in overnight races during a lazy, hazy thursday afternoon out at the great race place.

As a person who bets more than just grade 1 races, to me, it doesnt matter how he rides those races from a tactical standpoint or if he makes the occasional error in judgment, i don't know the context of his big race rides, he could be riding under instructions so his "Error" may be on the owner or trainer. In overnight races, its less likely he's riding with a strict plan and i mostly go on one thing.

How fast does this rider make horses run and i've found out that Bejarano makes em run as fast or faster than anyone in the game right now. Someone said "he's one with the horse" and that's really true in some instances.

People see "leading rider" and just assume he's almost always on the best horse, but RB has ridden plenty of "bums" and gotten them higher board placings than anyone out there.

Dark Horse
05-13-2014, 05:47 PM
Looks like Bejarano is out for several months. DRF reports broken collarbone, rib, and both shoulder blades.

At least he'll be able to ride again.

I'd like to take this opportunity to blast out at the idiotic culture, by racetracks, that doesn't even give updates about the health of a jockey after a serious spill. SA continued like nothing had happened, while their leading rider could have been dead for all the public knew. No other sport acts like this when somebody gets injured, so F*CK YOU for your lack of respect towards riders and the public.

The only reason they do it is because they don't want to put a damper on people's betting moods. Greedy a**holes.

precocity
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM
Looks like Bejarano is out for several months. DRF reports broken collarbone, rib, and both shoulder blades.

I'd like to take this opportunity to blast out at the idiotic culture, by racetracks, that doesn't even give updates about the health of a jockey after a serious spill. SA continued like nothing had happened, while their leading rider could have been dead for all the public knew. No other sport acts like this when somebody gets injured, so F*CK YOU for your lack of respect towards riders and the public.

The only reason they do it is because they don't want to put a damper on people's betting moods. Greedy a**holes.
AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stillriledup
05-13-2014, 06:52 PM

100% true.

TVG is guilty of telling the public that they'll give "updates" on stricken horses, but never come back an hour later (or whenever) and say "remember that nondescript cheap claiming race that ran an hour ago, we are sorry to tell you that the horse didn't make it"

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 12:45 AM

The only reason they do it is because they don't want to put a damper on people's betting moods. Greedy a**holes.If word had gotten back that had been killed, I guarantee you they would have canceled whatever was left of the card. Faux outrage just for faux outrages's sake never looks good on a person here.

Dark Horse
05-14-2014, 02:42 AM
If word had gotten back that had been killed, I guarantee you they would have canceled whatever was left of the card. Faux outrage just for faux outrages's sake never looks good on a person here.

I waited to express it until I knew he was ok. Otherwise it would be in bad taste. As far as faux outrage, how would you know? You don't think it outrageous that horse racing, of all sports, does not inform the public of the consequences of a serious accident that happened before their eyes? If you want to support that 'please-continue-your-business-as-if-nothing-happened' attitude with an argument that the non-cancellation of the rest of the card is a reassurance of its own, permit me to file that under faux sincerity and/or real insensitivity.

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 05:25 AM
If word had gotten back that had been killed, I guarantee you they would have canceled whatever was left of the card. Faux outrage just for faux outrages's sake never looks good on a person here.

He could have been paralyzed or in a coma or had some other life threatening situation and none of that was known until they ran a few more races and basically completed the card.

They continued on as if nothing happened.

Good to know that as long as he's alive, they'll continue to race.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 09:46 AM
He could have been paralyzed or in a coma or had some other life threatening situation and none of that was known until they ran a few more races and basically completed the card.

They continued on as if nothing happened.

Good to know that as long as he's alive, they'll continue to race.What makes you think THEY knew anymore about his condition than YOU did after he was put in the ambulance and whisked away.

There is also this new thing called privacy...and maybe a jock doesn't want the world to know of his condition until at least his family does. I'm pretty sure it's against some law to release private medical info without a person's consent these days...you must consider this as well, which of course you and dark horse do not.

Some of you will complain about anything when it comes to racing.

turninforhome10
05-14-2014, 09:56 AM
What makes you think THEY knew anymore about his condition than YOU did after he was put in the ambulance and whisked away.

There is also this new thing called privacy...and maybe a jock doesn't want the world to know of his condition until at least his family does. I'm pretty sure it's against some law to release private medical info without a person's consent these days...you must consider this as well, which of course you and dark horse do not.

HIPAA and good judgment keep this information form being released to the general public. You make a great point.

elhelmete
05-14-2014, 12:23 PM

I was at SA that day and saw it unfold right in front of me.

Your post has no relation to what actually transpired.

Oh, that and HIPAA

Dark Horse
05-14-2014, 02:51 PM
What makes you think THEY knew anymore about his condition than YOU did after he was put in the ambulance and whisked away.

It has nothing to do with complaining or privacy. It's purely about maintaining a certain climate for betting.

Have you never watched a NFL game? Updates on injured players the whole time. And, as recent as last year, a coach that collapsed by the sideline was headline news. Half the world wanted to know if he was ok. That's the other extreme.

I simply want to know that the jockey is ok. I won't even go on about the horses that are euthanized at the track without our knowing. So how much effort would it be to follow up on an injured jockey? Why would anyone want to turn that into an argument? There are those who want to know, and those who don't. So do it as a service to those who do want to know.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 02:54 PM
It has nothing to do with complaining or privacy. It's purely about maintaining a certain climate for betting.

Have you never watched a NFL game? Updates on injured players the whole time. And, as recent as last year, a coach that collapsed by the sideline was headline news. That's the other extreme.

I simply want to know that the jockey is ok. I won't even go on about the horses that are euthanized at the track without our knowing. So how much effort would it be to follow up on an injured jockey? Why would anyone want to turn that into an argument? There are those who want to know, and those who don't. So do it as a service to those who do want to know.And I'm telling you, there are limitations involved in letting the public know.

You act as if they are holding back on you, when in fact, they probably are about as in the dark as you are concerning a jockey's status once he's driven off in the ambulance.

And again, given HIPAA laws, a business such as the track might get into some trouble releasing medical information publicly about a jockey without said jockey's consent. I know the rules are a lot stricter now...but I could be wrong about this one.

In any event, it's only turned into an argument because you are expecting something that is likely not available to the people you are expecting it from.

Dark Horse
05-14-2014, 03:14 PM
And I'm telling you, there are limitations involved in letting the public know.

You act as if they are holding back on you, when in fact, they probably are about as in the dark as you are concerning a jockey's status once he's driven off in the ambulance.

And again, given HIPAA laws, a business such as the track might get into some trouble releasing medical information publicly about a jockey without said jockey's consent. I know the rules are a lot stricter now...but I could be wrong about this one.

In any event, it's only turned into an argument because you are expecting something that is likely not available to the people you are expecting it from.

It's a sport that is dangerous to the riders. I grew up with Formula One in Europe, back in the day that drivers would die with some regularity. I can assure you that the commentating on the race did not ignore the consequences of bad accidents. A mainstream sport simply can't afford to do so. Too many people are concerned. It is the job of the commentator to answer the question in the mind of the viewer, isn't it? "He was breathing". "He was talking". "He walked off on his own power". Comments as these serve a purpose and are very common, except in horse racing, where the only related jockey info is who replaces the injured rider in the next race.

I actually cried out (I never do) when that horse went down, and then watched in disbelief as the rider seemed to be trampled by a number of trailing horses. The one question on my mind was if the rider was alright. The rest of the card seemed irrelevant. And the track never addressed it. If horse racing ever wants to make it back to the mainstream, it better start realizing that we live in an information age.

Grits
05-14-2014, 03:48 PM
News flash, I'm sorry, Dark Horse. Diagnostic medicine doesn't reside in the information age. Certainly not until they have their facts and their permission to release them.

You went from this:

Bejarano just took a major spill with Gameboy Luke. Looked horrible.
Man, I hope he's ok. Pray for that guy.

To this:

To this:

And finally, to this: "He was breathing". "He was talking". "He walked off on his own power". Comments as these serve a purpose and are very common, except in horse racing, where the only related jockey info is who replaces the injured rider in the next race.

You're wrong on this last one. Or, maybe you don't watch NY racing. NYRA wouldn't ignore this. Not a chance.

---This is some pretty tough ranting, in spite of the logic that you've been reminded of. The answers you're seeking are not only private, by law. Too, these answers are not always possible before the end of the 3rd quarter, or after the next race! ... Forget Formula One, this isn't Europe.

Hopefully, you've not been seriously injured in an accident wherein you're taken to the nearest hospital. CTscan is performed. ER doc says, "nothing broken, just a partially collapsed lung, bruises and abrasions." ... Still, they transport you to a major trauma center. Scanned again, numerous xrays. Hours pass. You wake up in ICU, loaded on morphine. The local ER doc and radiologist, somehow, missed your eight broken ribs that caused your lung to collapse, along with the tear in your pericardium. :bang:

You need to let this go, and be glad, as you were in the beginning, that Bejarano lived to ride again. His recovery will be quite a long one.

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 04:04 PM
I was at SA that day and saw it unfold right in front of me.

Your post has no relation to what actually transpired.

Oh, that and HIPAA

Um, Why not let us know why DH was wrong? Pretty please?

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 04:05 PM
It's a sport that is dangerous to the riders. I grew up with Formula One in Europe, back in the day that drivers would die with some regularity. I can assure you that the commentating on the race did not ignore the consequences of bad accidents. A mainstream sport simply can't afford to do so. Too many people are concerned. It is the job of the commentator to answer the question in the mind of the viewer, isn't it? "He was breathing". "He was talking". "He walked off on his own power". Comments as these serve a purpose and are very common, except in horse racing, where the only related jockey info is who replaces the injured rider in the next race.

I actually cried out (I never do) when that horse went down, and then watched in disbelief as the rider seemed to be trampled by a number of trailing horses. The one question on my mind was if the rider was alright. The rest of the card seemed irrelevant. And the track never addressed it. If horse racing ever wants to make it back to the mainstream, it better start realizing that we live in an information age.

I agree, they moved on as if it never happened. They moved on as if they were hoping you wouldn't notice.

Tom
05-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Call the hospital yourself and ask what his condition is.
Let me know what they tell you.

Tom
05-14-2014, 04:11 PM
I agree, they moved on as if it never happened. They moved on as if they were hoping you wouldn't notice.

And what would you have done?
Cancelled the rest of the races?
Send the talking heads out with a hand held camera to storm the hospital and demand answers?

Ever see a football game where they take a guy out on a stretcher?
They keep playing as soon as the field is clear. Would it be better if they all sat at midfield, Indian style, holding hands and sing Kumbyah?

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 04:12 PM
I agree, they moved on as if it never happened. They moved on as if they were hoping you wouldn't notice.You're becoming more idiotic by the moment...along with a few others on this board.

And I rarely call someone a name on here...even if I'm 0 for 19

Dark Horse
05-14-2014, 04:16 PM
You're becoming more idiotic by the moment...along with a few others on this board.

Most of us discuss as adults, without insulting others.
Those who do not agree with you are not idiotic. Maybe try a horse a little less high?

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 04:17 PM
You're becoming more idiotic by the moment...along with a few others on this board.

lol, ok.

What i said is exactly what happened. They scraped the guy off the track, loaded him into the Waaaaambulance, and drove him off and that was the end of it. Are you saying they cared?

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 04:23 PM
And what would you have done?
Cancelled the rest of the races?
Send the talking heads out with a hand held camera to storm the hospital and demand answers?

Ever see a football game where they take a guy out on a stretcher?
They keep playing as soon as the field is clear. Would it be better if they all sat at midfield, Indian style, holding hands and sing Kumbyah?

And the guy on the stretcher gives "thumbs up" to the crowd to show he thinks he's at least going to live. What happened at SA? The guy layed on the track far away from the live crowd, they put up a big tarp and that was it, you didnt see what happened to the jock, no thumbs up, no nothing. The races went on as usual, without a hitch while the fans at the track, well, at least the ones who gave a crap, were wondering if the guy was even going to live.

PaceAdvantage
05-14-2014, 04:24 PM
Most of us discuss as adults, without insulting others.
Those who do not agree with you are not idiotic. Maybe try a horse a little less high?I RARELY insult with name calling here on the horse side (and even in off-topic)...you know this

So that should tell you something about how silly some of this sounds.

Yeah, THE TRACK DOESN'T CARE...they HOPE YOU WON'T NOTICE....what kind of baloney is this? It's idiotic, plain and simple. There is no better explanation for some of the stuff that has been posted.

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 04:26 PM
I RARELY insult with name calling here on the horse side (and even in off-topic)...you know this

Yeah, THE TRACK DOESN'T CARE...they HOPE YOU WON'T NOTICE....what kind of baloney is this? It's idiotic, plain and simple. There is no better explanation for some of the stuff that has been posted.

I accept your apology. :D

In what way did they care, or hope you didnt notice? I know you think those are "idiotic" comments, but cmon, explain to me what the track, or Trevor Denman specifically, did or said to make you think that it wasnt just "business as usual" at the old great race place?

Dark Horse
05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
I RARELY insult with name calling here on the horse side (and even in off-topic)...you know this

Sorry. That's a textbook example of subjective reasoning.

Back on topic. There are always those who will defend the status quo. That doesn't make them 'idiotic'. And there are those who would like to see improvements. That doesn't make them complainers.

Enough of this already. Hope to see you back soon Rafael.

affirmedny
05-14-2014, 07:13 PM
If you were watching HRTV they reported within 15 or 20 minutes that he was moving and obviously breathing when they put him in the ambulance. Only the people watching TVG were in the dark.

Stillriledup
05-14-2014, 07:26 PM
If you were watching HRTV they reported within 15 or 20 minutes that he was moving and obviously breathing when they put him in the ambulance. Only the people watching TVG were in the dark.

And the people at the track.

Dark Horse
05-14-2014, 07:38 PM

I was watching Cal racing. Uninterrupted feed from SA. Not a word. It was pretty obvious that they were under instructions not to say a thing. Michelle Yu, who often interviews Bejarano, and as a knowledgeable handicapper does the prerace with the linesmaker, sounded distracted and just off, especially for the next race. Baze, who had won the race, was looking back in horror at where Bejarano had fallen. Other jockeys as well. It was on everyone's mind. Elephant in the room feel to the whole thing.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2014, 03:01 AM
I was watching Cal racing. Uninterrupted feed from SA. Not a word. It was pretty obvious that they were under instructions not to say a thing. Michelle Yu, who often interviews Bejarano, and as a knowledgeable handicapper does the prerace with the linesmaker, sounded distracted and just off, especially for the next race. Baze, who had won the race, was looking back in horror at where Bejarano had fallen. Other jockeys as well. It was on everyone's mind. Elephant in the room feel to the whole thing.Yeah, I'll bite my tongue here, because I wouldn't want to offend you twice in 24 hours.

But seriously man...who knew you were this out there?

Now it's obvious people were "under instruction" not to say a thing? Holy cow...how do you even approach this line of thinking considering how far removed you are from the topic of your rant? You have no clue what kind of "instruction" anyone was under.

What, exactly did you want them to say? What do you think they knew that you didn't? Do you think track management has a two-way live feed linkup to the ambulance? Or maybe the emergency room where they wheeled him in? And then they were in constant contact with his emergency room doctors, because hell, THE MOST IMPORTANT THING is to let YOU know how he's doing...forget about doctors wasting time treating the fallen jockey...they need to get on the horn and let SRU and Dark Horse know the scoop...first priority is to get that info out there.

So, apart from knowing what you already knew and witnessed first hand, do you really think track management knew all that much more than you?

Dark Horse
05-15-2014, 03:22 AM
Let me spell it out for you, since you really don't get it.

As reported by another poster, HRTV did give some kind of thumbs up after 20 minutes. You understand what that means? HRTV. As in: HRTV is not SA. The direct SA channel did not say a thing. You do the math. If that's not too much to ask, of course.

thaskalos
05-15-2014, 04:18 AM
Is the horseplayer asking too much if he said that he would like to know whether a jockey is still alive, or if he died on the track...after a horrific spill such as this? We didn't want an immediate, detailed report on his injuries. Just to know that the man didn't die on the spot.

I have to agree that this supreme secrecy is because there is a need to keep the customers in a betting mood.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2014, 09:52 AM
My last reply on the subject.

Do you two (thask and dark) think that if a jockey were to die on track or even an hour later in the hospital (and the track was informed as much) that they wouldn't immediately call off the rest of the races?

Name one time that actually happened...jock dies during racing day due to a spill and they continued to race....never happened yet AFAIK.

So rest assured, if a jock is killed during a race card, you'll know about it.

GMB@BP
05-15-2014, 10:18 AM

Do you two (thask and dark) think that if a jockey were to die on track or even an hour later in the hospital (and the track was informed as much) that they wouldn't immediately call off the rest of the races?

Name one time that actually happened...jock dies during racing day due to a spill and they continued to race....never happened yet AFAIK.

I saw some caddie on a pro golf tour died right there on the 18th hole, they scooped him up, sent him on his way and started playing. Racing has more scruples?

keenang
05-15-2014, 10:33 AM
I think you (P.A) are like O'Reily always Right.

Geno

affirmedny
05-15-2014, 10:47 AM
Let me spell it out for you, since you really don't get it.

As reported by another poster, HRTV did give some kind of thumbs up after 20 minutes. You understand what that means? HRTV. As in: HRTV is not SA. The direct SA channel did not say a thing. You do the math. If that's not too much to ask, of course.

Who's on the SA track feed that doesn't work for HRTV except maybe Trevor Denman?

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 03:02 PM

Yes, they'll get right on that. Right after they tell you that Bob Baffert is guilty of no wrong doing and right after they announce the results of the "investigation" into the past posting that happened at a track near you.

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Who's on the SA track feed that doesn't work for HRTV except maybe Trevor Denman?

I don't have Dish Network so i don't ever see one second of HRTV, but i do see the SA "Feed" and due to that feed, i couldn't tell you one person who works at HRTV. Now, i happen to know who works there because i pay attention to the industry and hear stuff thru the grapevine on occasion, but i wouldn't know who works at HRTV just by watching the SA "Feed".

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2014, 03:05 PM
I think you (P.A) are like O'Reily always Right.

GenoMy 0 for 19 run in my contest against Mad Scientist proves otherwise.

And this isn't about right or wrong. You can have an opinion and defend it, as can I.

Seems like with sensitive issues such as this, there really is no right or wrong answer, but there is common sense.

And common sense dictates that if something really terrible were to happen, they would cancel the rest of the card, as has been done on every occasion I can remember where a jockey was killed on track.

And everything else, the info will come out when it's ready to be disseminated.

In other threads, SRU will write how tracks consider us nothing more than addicted gamblers, never able to resist a bet, but here, he's telling us that if tracks were to tell us the real scoop on an injured jockey, they fear we will stop betting.

You can't have it both ways...

PS. Oh look, I have replied again in this subject even though I had said my prior reply was going to be my last. See keenang, I'm WRONG again... :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2014, 03:07 PM
Yes, they'll get right on that. Right after they tell you that Bob Baffert is guilty of no wrong doing and right after they announce the results of the "investigation" into the past posting that happened at a track near you.Try and stay on topic

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Try and stay on topic

I am. You too.

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 03:09 PM
My 0 for 19 run in my contest against Mad Scientist proves otherwise.

And this isn't about right or wrong. You can have an opinion and defend it, as can I.

Seems like with sensitive issues such as this, there really is no right or wrong answer, but there is common sense.

And common sense dictates that if something really terrible were to happen, they would cancel the rest of the card, as has been done on every occasion I can remember where a jockey was killed on track.

And everything else, the info will come out when it's ready to be disseminated.

In other threads, SRU will write how tracks consider us nothing more than addicted gamblers, never able to resist a bet, but here, he's telling us that if tracks were to tell us the real scoop on an injured jockey, they fear we will stop betting.

You can't have it both ways...

PS. Oh look, I have replied again in this subject even though I had said my prior reply was going to be my last. See keenang, I'm WRONG again... :lol: :lol:

I never said anywhere on this message board that tracks fear we will stop betting if they know the scoop on an injured jockey.

PaceAdvantage
05-15-2014, 03:10 PM
I never said anywhere on this message board that tracks fear we will stop betting if they know the scoop on an injured jockey.Hmmm...I thought I read that in this thread.

Then why do you think they are "withholding" this info?

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 03:19 PM
Hmmm...I thought I read that in this thread.

Then why do you think they are "withholding" this info?

I don't think they're withholding the info on purpose, i think they're just too stupid to think the customers might want to know. Now, the theory
that they don't want to talk about a serious injury or death over the public address system could have an effect on current and future business, i don't think that's a terrible theory, but i don't think they're smart enough to know to even do that.

Dark Horse
05-15-2014, 03:38 PM

If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman around to hear it, is he still wrong?

affirmedny
05-15-2014, 06:59 PM
I don't have Dish Network so i don't ever see one second of HRTV, but i do see the SA "Feed" and due to that feed, i couldn't tell you one person who works at HRTV. Now, i happen to know who works there because i pay attention to the industry and hear stuff thru the grapevine on occasion, but i wouldn't know who works at HRTV just by watching the SA "Feed".

Let me help you out then, they ALL work for HRTV as well as being on the track feed. And it would not make sense that they would be allowed to announce Bejarano's condition on HRTV and be banned from mentioning it on the track feed.

Stillriledup
05-15-2014, 07:23 PM
Let me help you out then, they ALL work for HRTV as well as being on the track feed. And it would not make sense that they would be allowed to announce Bejarano's condition on HRTV and be banned from mentioning it on the track feed.

I havent seen them at all on the track feed, maybe Jon White's voice comes across, but if there's an interview, you only see that on HRTV. Being employed by HRTV and hearing their voices on the in house feed are 2 different things.

As far as being "allowed" to announce his condition, i don't have HRTV, so i don't know what they do or what they're allowed to say.

Dark Horse
05-15-2014, 07:45 PM
And it would not make sense that they would be allowed to announce Bejarano's condition on HRTV and be banned from mentioning it on the track feed.

Follow the money. People watching HRTV are playing multiple tracks. People watching the track feed are primarily betting SA.

Don't you think it strange they never mentioned him? Not even a "Man, I hope he's ok." Nothing. After watching a spill like that... Could it be any more obvious? It's standard practice after a horse breaks down. And here they extended it to the jockey. Same reason as with a horse. Money.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Follow the money. People watching HRTV are playing multiple tracks. People watching the track feed are primarily betting SA.

Don't you think it strange they never mentioned him? Not even a "Man, I hope he's ok." Nothing. After watching a spill like that... Could it be any more obvious? It's standard practice after a horse breaks down. And here they extended it to the jockey. Same reason as with a horse. Money.So it's you who thinks the tracks don't broadcast this type of thing because they fear people will stop betting?

Stillriledup
05-16-2014, 02:45 AM
So it's you who thinks the tracks don't broadcast this type of thing because they fear people will stop betting?

I think the bottom line is that they don't broadcast it. TVG is a great example of this, whenever a horse falls, the host always says "we will get more information on that and pass it along" yet, they rarely, if ever, do. I'm not sure what their reasoning would be, but i think in a nutshell, this is kind of how the industry deals with injuries..if its a non descript horse or any jockey, they don't want to talk about it because, lets face it, discussing horses who got euthanized or jocks who broke bones isn't going to get people to bet more. It might not cause them to bet less, but its not going to get them to bet more, so TVG's theory might be to just ignore it and hope you forget.

Or, maybe there's another reason, do you have any idea why TVG would SAY "we will update you on the condition of the fallen runner" and they never do?

With the modern era of twitter and such, its quite possible that "word" would get back to the customers that a jock died on the track, but i have to admit, the racing industry has let a lot of people down over the years, i wouldn't trust them to dispense important info over the P.A. system as far as i could throw them.

Why they wouldn't announce death and injury is anyone's guess, you seem to be adamant that it would NOT be because of lost business, but don't you think injury and death COULD have a damper on business?

Dark Horse
05-16-2014, 02:59 AM
So it's you who thinks the tracks don't broadcast this type of thing because they fear people will stop betting?

Why do you think the track never tells the public when a horse was euthanized?

Once you turn that corner, we can go on to jockey info. But if you can't or are unwilling to see the connection between negative news and the business interest in a positive betting mood, even when it comes to horses, we really have nothing to talk about in this regard.

Actually, I have nothing more to add. This is too slow. You either see it or you don't. I have no interest in educating you, or listening to you telling me what an idiot I am.

Grits
05-16-2014, 08:54 AM

Once you turn that corner, we can go on to jockey info. But if you can't or are unwilling to see the connection between negative news and the business interest in a positive betting mood, even when it comes to horses, we really have nothing to talk about in this regard.

Actually, I have nothing more to add. This is too slow. You either see it or you don't. I have no interest in educating you, or listening to you telling me what an idiot I am.

Dark Horse, this stuff simply is not true. At some point, we need to realize our accusations are seldom absolutes and we all are capable of being wrong. You refuse, and carry on and on.

Larry Collmus and NBC?

http://www.nbcsports.com/horse-racing/secret-compass-euthanized-after-breeders-cup-accident

They were really concerned about the BETTING and about what it would do to the Breeders' Cup events this particular afternoon. In the live track feed, I don't think Denman commented, or so I've read. But no, not so on the nationwide live coverage. Collmus was all over this, the moment Secret Compass and Johnny V went down.

You may say, "Its BC, everyone's watching." This isn't an excuse as I've heard Tom Durkin do the same on a quiet afternoon at Belmont.

PaceAdvantage
05-16-2014, 09:53 AM

Actually, I have nothing more to add. This is too slow. You either see it or you don't. I have no interest in educating you, or listening to you telling me what an idiot I am.So on the one hand, there are threads where people characterize horseplayers who will keep betting no matter how high the takeout goes, tracks know they can get away with basically anything and keep rates high because they know nobody is going to stop betting...but on the other hand, if tracks start releasing immediately the condition of both horse and rider after a bad spill, THAT'S the thing that will make horseplayers stop betting, cowering in the corner, shaken to their core?

This makes no sense to me. We agree to vehemently disagree.

garyoz
05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Not to sidetrack this debate, but it would illegal for an organization such as CDI to release information concerning a medical condition under HIPAA unless they received the consent of the individual. It would be considered Protected Health Information (PHI).

Stillriledup
05-23-2014, 07:57 PM
Raffy is home from the hospital.

Hurry back RB. :ThmbUp: