PDA

View Full Version : Durkin retiring after Saratoga

FantasticDan
05-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Congrats on a great career.. thanks for the memories! :ThmbUp:

http://www.drf.com/news/durkin-retiring-nyra-end-saratoga-meet

jballscalls
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Best ever IMO. Too many great calls to even start listing. Smarty's Belmont still my favorite.

breezing
05-10-2014, 10:53 AM
it will be hard to replace him and i hope he enjoys his retirement. i only heard him live once at saratoga but i will definitely miss that voice and his calls.

jk3521
05-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I hope this doesn't get the Durkin detractors cheering . Are there any announcers out there who anyone thinks might be a suitable replacement? And don't say John Imbriale, please !

Shelby
05-10-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm really really going to miss him.

TheEdge07
05-10-2014, 11:05 AM
I hope this doesn't get the Durkin detractors cheering . Are there any announcers out there who anyone thinks might be a suitable replacement? And don't say John Imbriale, please !

Durkin gets it...he knows its time, great career will be miss greatly on big racing days..
Agree not Imbriale

Sam Mckee would be my choice.

wiffleball whizz
05-10-2014, 11:08 AM

What's wrong with Johnny I?

lamboguy
05-10-2014, 11:10 AM
this proves how great a man he is, he is going to retire on top. what a great guy who knows how to tell funny jokes.

best of luck to you Tom, i hope your horses win plenty of races and now you can go in person to watch them.

ArlJim78
05-10-2014, 11:23 AM
He'll be missed but he's earned his retirement. a class act and great race caller.

jk3521
05-10-2014, 11:39 AM
What's wrong with you? :eek:

Nothing exactly "wrong" with him, just the wrong man. I can't picture him calling the "classic" races. He's okay for the mid-winter bottom rung claimers.

Grits
05-10-2014, 11:47 AM
As if the races weren't enough. Now, a greater reason to be there Belmont Week, and to be at Saratoga during August .. his last season, his last summer in the booth.

To sit in the grandstand in the afternoons looking out over the track and the turf courses. I smile when I hear this man say the words ...

"Welcome to beautiful Belmont Park."

"I will miss you and I thank you, Tom Durkin. Blessings of joy and good health throughout your retirement. You're .. Simply The Best!"

jk3521
05-10-2014, 11:48 AM
As if the races weren't enough. Now, a greater reason to be there Belmont Week, and to be at Saratoga during August .. his last season, his last summer in the booth.

To sit in the grandstand in the afternoons looking out over the track and the turf courses. I smile when I hear this man say the words ...

"I will miss you and I thank you, Tom Durkin. Blessings of joy and good health throughout your retirement. You're .. Simply The Best!"
DITTO !! You've said it all !!

FantasticDan
05-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Best ever IMO. Too many great calls to even start listing. Smarty's Belmont still my favorite.That one's too tough for me to link ;) , let's go with Afleet Alex's Preakness.. :ThmbUp:

KfFzODoD7YY

EDkHBaf1U70

FantasticDan
05-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Bloodhorse article with more race video (http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84983/nyra-track-announcer-durkin-to-retire)

mannyberrios
05-10-2014, 12:29 PM
How about the guy from Hollywood park

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2014, 12:33 PM
Best ever in my opinion.

Instead of offering up the usual detached description/commentary as his peers, Durkin and his race calls somehow managed to become an integral COMPONENT of the race itself. Often times as much a part of the action on the track as the horses themselves.

Durkin was a master of his craft, and revolutionized modern day race calling. Think of how many of his calls stick with you to this day. Some of them stay with us after 20+ years! How many other announcers can you say that about?

The man and his race calls will be greatly missed. A retirement more than well earned.

pandy
05-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Best ever in my opinion.

Instead of offering up the usual detached description/commentary as his peers, Durkin and his race calls somehow managed to become an integral COMPONENT of the race itself. Often times as much a part of the action on the track as the horses themselves.

Durkin was a master of his craft, and revolutionized modern day race calling. Think of how many of his calls stick with you to this day. Some of them stay with us after 20+ years! How many other announcers can you say that about?

The man and his race calls will be greatly missed. A retirement more than well earned.

Well put.

JustRalph
05-10-2014, 12:51 PM

It might take a stick of dynamite to get Vic out of California.......I think he likes the west coast too much

rstp354
05-10-2014, 01:00 PM
My two favorite Tom Durkin calls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf0wQzq9Yzg

ArlJim78
05-10-2014, 01:05 PM
so many of his calls are emblazoned in my memory, he is a master performer too, I love his comedic calls like Doremefasolatido, etc.
One of the most chilling was when he said "the incomparable, the unbeatable, the invincible, Cigar"

olddaddy
05-10-2014, 01:06 PM

If offered I cant see him passing up this premier gig unless he know Denman is calling it quits soon and hes the heir apparent. If hes umping high school games he cant be made of money. He would be a good fit , hope its offered to him.

Hoofless_Wonder
05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
His Breeder's Cup calls during the first few years back in the mid 1980s contributed greatly to me becoming a lifelong fan of the sport. Gets my vote for top caller in the last 30 years.

Interesting he spent some time at many different tracks, including Cahokia and Quad City Downs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Durkin

PaceAdvantage
05-10-2014, 01:50 PM
There are no announcers in the Racing Hall of Fame...he should be the first one inducted...

FormalGold1
05-10-2014, 03:12 PM
The Vin Scully of horseracing. I Will miss Tom Durkin.

PhantomOnTour
05-10-2014, 03:22 PM
"Dehere has been defeated - there's a new kid on the block, and his name is Brocco! And he is sensational..."

Stillriledup
05-10-2014, 03:24 PM

lol that guy is a regular poster here, ask him yourself!

Halyard
05-10-2014, 03:56 PM
There are no announcers in the Racing Hall of Fame...he should be the first one inducted...

Absolutely. I'll second that.

JustRalph
05-10-2014, 04:38 PM
Check out Durkin and Enberg

I don't even recognize him

hwhcS1VPccA

jk3521
05-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Check out Durkin and Enberg

I don't even recognize him

hwhcS1VPccA
He was a svelte devil back then, Huh?

Tom
05-10-2014, 05:32 PM

Johnny I would be a geat replacement.

BettinBilly
05-10-2014, 05:35 PM
They were playing snippets of his calls on HRTV this afternoon.

My favorite, "Coming down the stretch, it's AAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGHH!"

I'll sure miss him. Would love to be at Saratoga during his final race call.

BlueShoe
05-10-2014, 06:00 PM
And don't say John Imbriale, please !
John Imbriale. Have always liked Johnny I. and consider him underated.

wiffleball whizz
05-10-2014, 06:21 PM
John Imbriale. Have always liked Johnny I. and consider him underated.

Dave Rodman, Johnny I and ken warkentin are the 3 most underrated announcers in racing

ronsmac
05-10-2014, 06:24 PM
Dave Rodman, Johnny I and ken warkentin are the 3 most underrated announcers in racing
Dave Rodman has been under the radar for almost 25 years now.

Exotic1
05-10-2014, 06:28 PM

Really nice way to put it, Grits.

wiffleball whizz
05-10-2014, 06:39 PM
Dave Rodman has been under the radar for almost 25 years now.

Ronsmac and the whizz are huge on Dave Rodman.....we may have to take a trip to the announcer booth when timonium opens up.....

Track collector said he gave us a shoutout before the card one day....I'm sure he lurks on here but doesn't post :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

TJDave
05-10-2014, 08:03 PM
They should get that Keeneland caller.

The one before Becker.

samyn on the green
05-10-2014, 09:24 PM
Have to credit Tom Durkin for pulling me into this game - also improving the vocabulary of racefans from coast to coast. He is the greatest sports broadcaster in my eyes and helped establish racing as one of my favorite diversions.

ronsmac
05-10-2014, 09:33 PM
Ronsmac and the whizz are huge on Dave Rodman.....we may have to take a trip to the announcer booth when timonium opens up.....

Track collector said he gave us a shoutout before the card one day....I'm sure he lurks on here but doesn't post :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
He gave you and T.C. a shout out last year, T.C. and I went up to the booth and he and the gentleman for equibase were both very friendly. I remember Dave Rodman going to C.T. on Saturday nights and talking with him a few times back in the early 90's. Always a very humble and down to earth guy.

The Hawk
05-10-2014, 10:30 PM
How long of a contract did Collmus sign? :)

Hoofless_Wonder
05-10-2014, 10:44 PM
They should get that Keeneland caller.

The one before Becker.

Silence is golden?

Milkshaker
05-10-2014, 10:53 PM
NYRA will hire another caller--but no one will be "replacing Tom Durkin." It can't be done.

The National Museum of Racing & Hall of Fame has a great opportunity here to both do the right thing and gain some good PR: They should announce over the 2014 induction weekend at Saratoga that starting next year, announcers will be eligible for inclusion in the HOF.

v j stauffer
05-10-2014, 11:33 PM
NYRA will hire another caller--but no one will be "replacing Tom Durkin." It can't be done.

The National Museum of Racing & Hall of Fame has a great opportunity here to both do the right thing and gain some good PR: They should announce over the 2014 induction weekend at Saratoga that starting next year, announcers will be eligible for inclusion in the HOF.

Great post. :ThmbUp:

Show Me the Wire
05-10-2014, 11:44 PM
John G. Dooley a prospect to fill the slot.

FantasticDan
05-11-2014, 12:00 AM
John G. Dooley a prospect to fill the slot.According to some twitter comments I saw, he's your prohibitive morning line favorite. :cool:

pandy
05-11-2014, 12:10 AM
I agree about the Hall of Fame, announcers should be included, and Durkin should be first in.

As for his replacement, I really would love to see Vic Stauffer get the job.

If they hire a guy with a thick British accent, I will be watching, not listening.

theiman
05-11-2014, 12:12 AM
I wonder if Anthony Cantore will be retiring along with Durkin?

plainolebill
05-11-2014, 01:19 AM
I agree about the Hall of Fame, announcers should be included, and Durkin should be first in.

As for his replacement, I really would love to see Vic Stauffer get the job.

If they hire a guy with a thick British accent, I will be watching, not listening.

Oy can agree with the all of that, particularly the last part.

v j stauffer
05-11-2014, 01:47 AM
I wonder if Anthony Cantore will be retiring along with Durkin?

Only if he calls his office. ;)

BettinBilly
05-11-2014, 02:09 AM
If you have not seen this, here is Tom competing on "Match Game" back in the 70's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjO2LEsYbQc

Tall One
05-11-2014, 02:20 AM
John G. Dooley a prospect to fill the slot.

I remember watching Thistledown's replay show with host John G Dooley. This was back when the Ohio circuit was on the 7/7 format.

If you know who isn't the choice, I'd be ok with this.

TheEdge07
05-11-2014, 05:55 AM
Dooley is underrated hes real.good..Rodman will also be a great hire..
Ive listen to Sam Mckee from the Meadowlands he does a great job..

Easy Goer vs Sunday Silence breeders cup classic call was my favorite..

As Sunday Silence started to make his move durkin said "The stage is set"..as they pas the wire..he called it a racing epic..

fmolf
05-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Durkin simply the best ever.No nonsense calls it like he sees it no cutesy catch phrases used over and over. every call is fresh, intuitive and honest.I'm gonna miss his calls,the inflection in his voice......and the quick wit.

KingChas
05-11-2014, 07:57 AM
Durkin the best in my book also.
Will definitely be missed.
Good Luck Tom.

Better sign V J Stauffer as quickly as possible.
Personality and racecalling a fit for NYRA.
That would make for a very smooth transaction.

OF course Vic may have too invest in a couple of new winter coats. ;)

olddaddy
05-11-2014, 10:23 AM
If Dooley gets the NY gig Id love for Stauffer to take the FG and AP gig. I know he wouldnt because HS baseball in chicago is no where near premier as s. cal.

v j stauffer
05-11-2014, 10:50 AM
If Dooley gets the NY gig Id love for Stauffer to take the FG and AP gig. I know he wouldnt because HS baseball in chicago is no where near premier as s. cal.

N.Cal ;)

BlueShoe
05-11-2014, 11:56 AM
The nation's race callers seem to be playing musical chairs this year, or more correctly, musical booths. :) Collmus to Churchill, Travis Stone to Monmouth, John Dooley to the NYRA? Vic to ?? If JD moves to New York, who gets Arlington? Peter Galassi moves over from Hawthorne? Or?

Grits
05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
How long of a contract did Collmus sign? :)

Behind Tom, imo, the finest announcer in the business. But he made his move, too soon, down the backside. He would've been great for New York racing. Instead, now he's locked in.

Working for the biggest hack outfit in country. :lol:

"Larry, please know, I'll be listening to all your Triple Crown and Breeders' Cup race calls. Wouldn't miss 'em for the world! .... Like Tom, you may have enjoyed Italy or the south of France during the winter." ;)

Lasix67
05-11-2014, 01:54 PM
I love Tom. He is my favorite caller and I am glad I made it to Saratoga for 3 different seasons to experience his race calls.
That being said, I believe John Dooley will be the next voice of NYRA racing as he mentored under Durkin's and posted on his Facebook page a few weeks ago about having some big decisions to make soon. Vic would be awesome at Arlington and the Fairgrounds (my home track), and even though John will be missed if he moves on, I think Vic would fit and would enjoy both cultures of New Orleans and Chicago. Oh and Louisiana has some great H.S. and college baseball Vic.

theiman
05-11-2014, 01:58 PM
I nominate Peter Berry or Michael Wrona. Both have put in their dues and both do a great job.

Of Course if Wrona got the job that would open GGF to Goof.

If Goof got the NYRA job he would have to really hustle to go from Belmont to Broadway to watch all of those Musicals that he likes.

SmartyParty
05-11-2014, 06:58 PM
In my book "They Call the Horses" Tom is chapter one, and racing will not be the same without him. Robert Geller is chapter ten, and he is right up there with the top callers in the country. And he is certainly another one who has paid his dues for many years at Emerald Downs and Sunland.

wiffleball whizz
05-11-2014, 07:03 PM
Pretty sure Dooley called the aqueduct inner meet about 10-15 years ago

thespaah
05-11-2014, 07:20 PM
Congrats on a great career.. thanks for the memories! :ThmbUp:

http://www.drf.com/news/durkin-retiring-nyra-end-saratoga-meet
It just won't be the same without his voice emanating from the PA speakers at NYRA tracks. 24 years is a great run.

fmhealth
05-11-2014, 07:25 PM
My vote (if I had one), goes out to Mike Chamberlain here @ TUP. Sharp, crisp, accurate & exciting calls. He's buried out here in Phoenix where the national exposure is somewhat limited to say the least.

I believe that the NYRA truly has a unique opportunity to be creative & bring a new level of excitement & flavor to their product. Here's their chance to bring their entire organization a new voice that will energize their customers nationwide.

Be Well,
fmhealth

thespaah
05-11-2014, 07:26 PM
Durkin gets it...he knows its time, great career will be miss greatly on big racing days..
Agree not Imbriale

Sam Mckee would be my choice.
Mc Kee is a good technical announcer.
I've not heard him call Thoroughbred races. And his very noticeable regionalism is an issue.
Quite frankly, I think Ken Warkentin is a better choice.

thespaah
05-11-2014, 07:28 PM

Better words could not have been stated.

thespaah
05-11-2014, 07:29 PM
Waiting for a post from Vic.

thespaah
05-11-2014, 07:36 PM
Best ever in my opinion.

Ya know what? I cannot think of many of those that 'stick with you' from other announcers.
Some of Vic's I can recall quite easily. Same with TD....
It would be a shame to not have BOTH of these fine race announcers no longer in the booth.
Of Course Tom's retirement is well earned. He's done his thing. He has called most of the most prestigious races in the sport. I guess if he'd called the Grand National or the Arc de Triomphe, that would REALLY be a career to look back on.

thespaah
05-11-2014, 07:47 PM

I agree 100%...There is no replacement for a talent such as Durkin.

Peter Berry
05-11-2014, 08:44 PM
I nominate Peter Berry or Michael Wrona. Both have put in their dues and both do a great job.
If I were NYRA I would snap up Wrona in a nanosecond, assuming he is interested in the job. Personality, experience at the top level (Hollywood Park, Arlington, Fair Grounds) and has called with great flair some of the biggest moments in racing history.

PhantomOnTour
05-11-2014, 09:53 PM
If I were NYRA I would snap up Wrona in a nanosecond, assuming he is interested in the job. Personality, experience at the top level (Hollywood Park, Arlington, Fair Grounds) and has called with great flair some of the biggest moments in racing history.
Wrona is sharp

I am a Rodman fan and would love him to get the job...not a Dooley fan (he tends to yell).

v j stauffer
05-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Waiting for a post from Vic.

Here I am.

George Sands
05-12-2014, 09:39 AM
http://around2turns.com/

Tall One
05-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Pretty sure Dooley called the aqueduct inner meet about 10-15 years ago

Forgot about that. Nice call, whizz :ThmbUp:

I believe that was just before he got the gig at AP?

v j stauffer
05-12-2014, 11:24 AM

Of Course if Wrona got the job that would open GGF to Goof.

If Goof got the NYRA job he would have to really hustle to go from Belmont to Broadway to watch all of those Musicals that he likes.

I think Broadway is dark one day a week. My chance to take in IV's and recharge. Maybe I could set it up so NYRA direct deposited my check straight to Ticketmaster.

levinmpa
05-12-2014, 12:55 PM
Durkin is my all time favorite, and it's a wide margin back to #2 on the list. I remember him calling Hialeah Park and Meadowlands Harness in the 80's and was so happy that NYRA hired him after Marshal Cassidy retired. He was so smooth, so crisp and so accurate with his calls. Even now, when I watch a replay of a Breeders' Cup race from the 80's or 90's I get a chill. When I hear those calls, it feels like a big event. I don't get that with any announcer. I never got the sense that he rehearsed his calls, although I could be wrong. I know some announcers know what they're going to say if a certain horse wins. Nothing wrong with that, but I always thought Durkin let the call come to him. I thought his few lines of commentary after the horses crossed the wire was exceptional. I have so many fond memories of calls he made, but I guess my all time favorite was the '87 BC Classic when "...the 2 Derby winners hit the wire together."

You will be missed Tom. Enjoy the good life, you deserve it. Thanks for your outstanding contributions, and all the thrills.

bks
05-12-2014, 02:04 PM
It may be cliche by this point to note it, but the final minute of this call is sheer perfection, including the single greatest racecalling line of my lifetime uttered at the 1/8 pole. You all know which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvXybwNkPQ8

1st time lasix
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Today....I just booked my flight to be at Saratoga for four days in late July. So glad I will be hearing Mr Durkin's voice calling his last meet. At my Florida simulcast spot...we only turn on the volume for his calls only. An old friend of mine has had him on his radio show a few times in the past...says he is the nicest gentleman in the world. A favorite for him.

Saratoga_Mike
05-12-2014, 02:43 PM
It may be cliche by this point to note it, but the final minute of this call is sheer perfection, including the single greatest racecalling line of my lifetime uttered at the 1/8 pole. You all know which one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvXybwNkPQ8

Phenomenal selection...."...imploring Real Quiet..." Perfection.

levinmpa
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
Durkin was on Steve Byk's At the Races radio show today in the first hour.

Tom Durkin on At the Races with Steve Byk (http://www.thoroughbredracingradionetwork.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=1744&year=2014&month=05&day=12&Itemid=35)

The interview starts at about the 33 minute mark of Hour 1. Enjoy

classhandicapper
05-12-2014, 04:41 PM
http://around2turns.com/

Enjoyed it.

Most of the time I'm so preoccupied with my bet I don't even notice the call. But sometimes, the call is so good, it becomes a permanent part of the memory. Durkin had a few of those for me.

Good piece.

the little guy
05-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Tom has had so many great moments over the years that it is impossible to distill his legacy to a few race calls, but his " a dramatic stretch drive awaits " call as they turned for home in Rachel Alexandra's Woodward is one that will live with me forever. It captures his ability to not just capture a moment, but to understand the game well enough to predict the future with a brilliance that befits the truly special moments.

Tom doesn't need to insert himself into the game....he is an integral part of the game.

JustRalph
05-12-2014, 06:01 PM
Tom has had so many great moments over the years that it is impossible to distill his legacy to a few race calls, but his " a dramatic stretch drive awaits " call as they turned for home in Rachel Alexandra's Woodward is one that will live with me forever. It captures his ability to not just capture a moment, but to understand the game well enough to predict the future with a brilliance that befits the truly special moments.

Tom doesn't need to insert himself into the game....he is an integral part of the game.

Just about my fav race from the last five years or so.......... :ThmbUp:

ysO_Fhc8Fpw

Wins with her ears pricked........

cnollfan
05-12-2014, 06:11 PM

I am a big fan of Wrona, but I was under the impression that few shared my enthusiasm.

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 06:47 PM
Just about my fav race from the last five years or so.......... :ThmbUp:

ysO_Fhc8Fpw

Wins with her ears pricked........

"Rachel Won"

Amazing call, one of his best ever in one of the most exciting races ever run in NY.

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 06:48 PM
I am a big fan of Wrona, but I was under the impression that few shared my enthusiasm.

Wrona is great, no denying that.

PaceAdvantage
05-12-2014, 06:52 PM
"Rachel Won"

Amazing call, one of his best ever in one of the most exciting races ever run in NY.His 1994 Travers call, and the race itself, ranks right up there with me as one of the most exciting races ever in NY, that I've been around to see anyway...

"And there's cause for concern...."

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 06:56 PM
His 1994 Travers call, and the race itself, ranks right up there with me as one of the most exciting races ever in NY, that I've been around to see anyway...

"And there's cause for concern...."

"Holy Bull wins. What a hero"

No doubt, amazing call, amazing race.

v j stauffer
05-12-2014, 07:31 PM
Durkin was on Steve Byk's At the Races radio show today in the first hour.

Tom Durkin on At the Races with Steve Byk (http://www.thoroughbredracingradionetwork.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=1744&year=2014&month=05&day=12&Itemid=35)

The interview starts at about the 33 minute mark of Hour 1. Enjoy

Listened to entire interview. Good job by Steve. Hearing those calls reminded me of just how far behind the rest of us really are.

He incorporated things into his calls that I wouldn't have even thought to try. Much less execute.

Truly great announcers allow us to remember iconic races partially BECAUSE of the call. He has hundreds of those.

The best ever and it tain't even close McGee.

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 07:33 PM
Listened to entire interview. Good job by Steve. Hearing those calls reminded me of just how far behind the rest of really are.

He incorporated things into his calls that I wouldn't have even thought to try. Much less execute.

Truly great announcers allow us to remember iconic races partially BECAUSE of the call. He has hundreds of those.

The best ever and it tain't even close McGee.

You mean Bobby Flay isnt as good? :D

This has been posted quite often here at PA, but i could watch this again and again and again. Durkin in rare form!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPPsZ9t54dg

Tall One
05-12-2014, 08:08 PM
Classic..

In the fog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCMKmAI479E)

Milkshaker
05-12-2014, 08:31 PM
Wonder if NYRA would consider bringing back Frank Dwyer?