PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of the TVG announcers ?

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 06:38 PM
I think Rich Perloff is the most entertaining announcer. I like his no nonsense style and the way he interacts with viewers through emails and twitter.

Paul Lo Duca is by far the best handicapper out of the bunch in my opinion. He is always giving out live horses and a lot of them are at a price .

I find Todd Schrupp impossible to listen to. I find him to not only be the most annoying person on TVG but possibly the most annoying person on all of TV. I have no idea if he is a good handicapper or not because when I see him on TVG I have to either hit the mute button or just change the channel. I am shocked he still has a job at TVG with their high turnover rate. I would think he would be the first to be shown the door.

I was just curious what other people thought ....

lamboguy
05-09-2014, 07:08 PM
they have 2 new girls on their network that seem to be good handicapper's

duncan04
05-09-2014, 07:21 PM
I think Rich Perloff is the most entertaining announcer. I like his no nonsense style and the way he interacts with viewers through emails and twitter.

Paul Lo Duca is by far the best handicapper out of the bunch in my opinion. He is always giving out live horses and a lot of them are at a price .

I find Todd Schrupp impossible to listen to. I find him to not only be the most annoying person on TVG but possibly the most annoying person on all of TV. I have no idea if he is a good handicapper or not because when I see him on TVG I have to either hit the mute button or just change the channel. I am shocked he still has a job at TVG with their high turnover rate. I would think he would be the first to be shown the door.

I was just curious what other people thought ....

From what I hear Schrupp gets the best ratings

ishman17
05-09-2014, 07:37 PM
I like the guys on the quarters a lot.

Stillriledup
05-09-2014, 07:47 PM
From what I hear Schrupp gets the best ratings

Wow, that's not saying much. :D

Just kidding, we love you Todd, we know you lurk here, so its all good!

Zydeco
05-09-2014, 07:52 PM
they have 2 new girls on their network that seem to be good handicapper's
Well they had to replace Christina and Michelle

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 07:54 PM
I agree the guys on the quarters are good. I like when they have the original group on Mike Joyce, Dave Weaver, Les Onaka.

Yeah I saw the two new girls. I have not really heard enough of their picks to judge their handicapping , but they are both easy on the eyes

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Are you serious that Todd Schrupp gets the best ratings ??? I would have never guessed it ....

Stillriledup
05-09-2014, 07:56 PM
I agree the guys on the quarters are good. I like when they have the original group on Mike Joyce, Dave Weaver, Les Onaka.

Yeah I saw the two new girls. I have not really heard enough of their picks to judge their handicapping , but they are both easy on the eyes

ICE COOOOOOLD!

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 07:57 PM
I think both Christina and Michelle are at HRTV now ...

WJ47
05-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Rich Perloff is my favorite too, but I enjoy watching Todd Schrupp. He looks like a person who really enjoys his job, horse racing and life in general. I like how he bursts into song sometimes. :)

But I know what you mean. There are some people on TV, not on TVG, that I can't stand looking at either. :)

My 92 year old grandmother used to have an angry reaction whenever Sarah Palin was on TV. She'd curse and throw things at the TV. I used to laugh, because Grandma didn't really know anything about politics. I'd never seen her vote or make any sort of political comment. I don't even know if she's a democrat or republican. She just couldn't stand looking at Sarah Palin's face or hearing her voice.

Some people just get on your nerves, I guess. :)

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 09:49 PM
That's hilarious that you use Sarah Palin as a example because I actually really like her lol.

tanner12oz
05-09-2014, 09:55 PM
They are all good imo..i think some of them are entertainers and some are handicappers...nobody gets on my nerves though. I have met alot of them in person and they have been down to earth and accessible..schrupp is probably the worst out of the bunch

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 10:19 PM
I agree some are entertainers and some are handicappers which brings me to my next point ....

Juaquin Jaime ( spelling ??? ) anyways I am sure he is a nice guy off camera but watching him is like watching paint dry. He Definently does not fall in the entertainer category. And his handicapping is so bad that it defies mathematical probability. The guy usually always picks chalk which would make you think he would get at least some winners from time to time but despite chalking out all the time he still manages to somehow rarely even hit the board with his picks much less actually win a race. He Definently is not a handicapper .

So if he's not a entertainer and he's not a handicapper than how does he still have a job ???? I would much rather them give rich Perloff a few extra shifts or maybe give that new girl Brittany eurton a few shifts.

andtheyreoff
05-09-2014, 10:57 PM
I believe his proper name is "4 Time Major League All Star" Paul Lo Duca.

JustRalph
05-09-2014, 11:07 PM

I just call him "The Juicer" not a big fan...........at all

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/paul-lo-duca-tagged-mitchell-report-article-1.271946

His response

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080216&content_id=2375341&vkey=news_was&c_id=was&fext=.jsp

GMB@BP
05-09-2014, 11:09 PM
You would juice too if everyone else was and it got you a 20 million dollar contract.

SandyW
05-10-2014, 12:07 AM
My favorites are Gino & Nick Hines, both are colorful and enjoyable to listen to.
Gino is so enthusiastic, reminds me of my youth and how my friends and I could not wait to go to the races on the weekends.

Nick Hines a good guy with plenty of knowledge.

SharpCat
05-10-2014, 01:20 AM
I don't play the quarters but handicapping wise I think Les Onaka is the best of the bunch.

duncan04
05-10-2014, 05:00 AM
The Quarters crew is good. I'd take Todd Schrupp over Gino anyday!

Stillriledup
05-10-2014, 05:29 AM

Lol no doubt. I don't think he's ever been introducted as anything but.

The ironic thing about introducing him as a 4 time all star is that in horse handicapping, you're only as good as you're next winner and what you did in the past, even yesterday, means nothing. We all start the day out as equals, we all start every day out with a 0- 000 slate and as the day wears on, we earn our stripes.

Of course, Loduca has earned his stripes long ago in a different sport....so, in THIS sport, he needs to be "celebrated" for having success in another field?

rrpic6
05-10-2014, 07:07 AM

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/paul-lo-duca-tagged-mitchell-report-article-1.271946

His response

http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080216&content_id=2375341&vkey=news_was&c_id=was&fext=.jsp

I always get Dutrow and LoDuca mixed up. What position did Big Brown play again?

RR

johnhannibalsmith
05-10-2014, 11:00 AM
I agree some are entertainers and some are handicappers which brings me to my next point ....

Juaquin Jaime ( spelling ??? ) anyways I am sure he is a nice guy off camera but watching him is like watching paint dry. He Definently does not fall in the entertainer category. And his handicapping is so bad that it defies mathematical probability. The guy usually always picks chalk which would make you think he would get at least some winners from time to time but despite chalking out all the time he still manages to somehow rarely even hit the board with his picks much less actually win a race. He Definently is not a handicapper .

So if he's not a entertainer and he's not a handicapper than how does he still have a job ???? I would much rather them give rich Perloff a few extra shifts or maybe give that new girl Brittany eurton a few shifts.

I don't know what it is about that guy, but he's one of the one's that I just can't do. I think I catch him on solo duty more often than not and it's that Radio Announcer 101 inflection draped over a Rich Perloff motif/impression, but the Perloff character just doesn't work for him sort of problem.

"Okay Jim, okay Jim, Jim from... Tallahassee... I get it.

I, I, I, I,... I can see your perspective here. Doesn't mean I agree... doesn't mean I agree... Jim... from Tallahassee...

But hey... but hey... Jim... I get it. I, uh, I do get it. I do. Jim. From. Tallahassee. Thanks.

Cal from Baltimore writes to ask how many consecutive days I can possibly do the same schtick..."

Stillriledup
07-06-2014, 07:08 PM
Mike Joyce, eating food. Just what i want to see instead of horse races.

Wonderful.

BettinBilly
07-06-2014, 07:58 PM
I think I "mentally" cut Race Announcers some slack. This is because I don't have the skill set to hold facts and figures in my head like they seem to do at THAT level of detail. I am not able to talk ad nauseam for hours about each horse race being telecast and each horse in each race. I'm OK with the generalities, but I can't quote you how ABC horse owned by XYZ and trained by 123 broke his Maiden on such and such a date ridden by whomever the Jockey was. I just can't commit that kind of trivia to long term memory. Perhaps if I did it for a living? I don't know.

I only get TVG for a few hours a day via NBCSN, and from what I've seen, I'm OK with the announcers in general, although it seems to me that TVG announcers are indeed trying to coax you into placing a bet. Sort of like watching an infomercial. Whereas HRTV, seems to purely cover the races. I also like HRTV's Commentators. From Millie Ball to Brad Free, I like them all.

duncan04
07-06-2014, 10:42 PM

I only get TVG for a few hours a day via NBCSN, and from what I've seen, I'm OK with the announcers in general, although it seems to me that TVG announcers are indeed trying to coax you into placing a bet. Sort of like watching an infomercial. Whereas HRTV, seems to purely cover the races. I also like HRTV's Commentators. From Millie Ball to Brad Free, I like them all.

Of course TVG is trying to coax you into betting. They have an ADW they want you to bet through.

thespaah
07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
I cannot stomach Schrupp's man crush on Del Mar.
I don't care for the goofing off and contrived banter between the on camera people.
As a far as likes are concerned, Perloff is my preference.

thespaah
07-07-2014, 10:47 AM

His response

Here's the rub..Just about every major league ballplayer was juicing.
Lenny Dykstra came to the Mets in 86 weighing in at 165 lbs. When he led the NL in total base hits ( 194 in 1993) to go along with his 19 hr's Dukstra was tipping the scales at around 200lbs
And of course there was the worst egg on the face of Major League baseball for the most obvious use of illegal substance. Barry Bonds.....From age 35 thru 39, Binds led the NL in Hr's and RBI's.Including the highly improbable 73 hr's in 2001...When he was in his late 20's and early 30's he was a rather wiry guy who weighed around 190 lbs.
When he was hitting the ball into orbit at a time in his life when normal athletes are losing their physical prowess, Bonds was weighing in around 230 lbs.
Juicing? Nah.....Can't be...

thespaah
07-07-2014, 10:49 AM
Of course TVG is trying to coax you into betting. They have an ADW they want you to bet through.
One thing I find wrong with TVG is every show host pitches horizontal bets FIRST

BettinBilly
07-07-2014, 03:20 PM

I realize that. TVG is my primary ADW. Churchill owns a piece of HRTV and you don't see HRTV constantly pushing people to TwinSpires.

I was just making an observation regarding TVG VS HRTV. I don't think it would hurt TVG to back off on the sales pitch to bet once in a while. When I do get TVG every now and then on NBCSN, I enjoy the change of pace from HRTV and really enjoy the HDTV. But the "Infomercial" aspect of it at times is a bit bizarre.

Clocker
07-07-2014, 05:14 PM
An old but interesting take on TVG and HRTV from Joe Takach (http://www.joe-takach.com/Beat_The_Beam/Banners/printorder/DRF_Article/new_touts/new_touts.html).

duncan04
07-07-2014, 05:16 PM
I realize that. TVG is my primary ADW. Churchill owns a piece of HRTV and you don't see HRTV constantly pushing people to TwinSpires.

I was just making an observation regarding TVG VS HRTV. I don't think it would hurt TVG to back off on the sales pitch to bet once in a while. When I do get TVG every now and then on NBCSN, I enjoy the change of pace from HRTV and really enjoy the HDTV. But the "Infomercial" aspect of it at times is a bit bizarre.

I believe Churchill cut ties with HRTV.