PDA

View Full Version : Cramer Strikes Again

badcompany
05-07-2014, 08:13 AM
Fortunately for him, he has no shame. So, he can't be ashamed of himself.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/475e370833717d7d62590b9795a0816d_zpsf2f328de.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/8011584a57dde9dad15a164535bfb0bc_zpsde186a2b.jpg

DJofSD
05-07-2014, 09:00 AM
What? Is this about a $2 drop since the recommendation was made?

lamboguy
05-07-2014, 09:03 AM
he'll bust you every time!

badcompany
05-07-2014, 09:04 AM
What? Is this about a $2 drop since the recommendation was made?

Look at the pre-market.

DJofSD
05-07-2014, 09:06 AM
Ouch!

I hope you don't have a lot of exposure here.

badcompany
05-07-2014, 09:44 AM
Ouch!

I hope you don't have a lot of exposure here.

None. I just happened to catch him touting the stock about a month ago and thought about it when I saw the pre-market.

DJofSD
05-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Good observation. I caught a falling knife or two after listening to JC. But, that was a while back and now, when I watch his show, it's for the CEO interviews and that's about it. But, even then, the CEO interviews are not to be taken at face value. Best as just a source of entertainment.

_______
05-07-2014, 06:17 PM
I'm unclear why anyone would care about the advice of a tout whose only defense of his market cheerleading into the 2008 collapse was that he's an entertainment figure not a financial guru.

It's hard to track his record as he doesn't make it easily available. But what little is available isn't good.

http://www.erictyson.com/articles/20080922#.U2qt_Nq9KSM

pandy
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
I like Cramer. Let's face it, he's not only the best commentator, everyone else is boring. But, I do wonder how many winners he's actually picked? Does anyone keep track of it?

reckless
05-07-2014, 07:12 PM
This morning, Jim Cramer did in fact mention that Whole Foods has missed six or seven quarters in a row!

But, because the co-CEO of Whole Foods -- I believe his name is Robb -- appeared on CNBC, then that's a 'good' sign where since others may have ducked the softball questions.

Egad... he is worst than horse racing touts.

lamboguy
05-07-2014, 07:14 PM
the greatest guy i ever saw on television was Dan Dorfman, he gave out a stock on television, automatically a $20 stock went right to $22. a week later the stock was less than $20 and everyone that followed in got destroyed. he was on the network before CNBC called FNN. it was the greatest thing i ever saw, then Cramer started with his show and the same thing happened for awhile. today most people have sharpened up. they don't chase those bad numbers. Dorfman might have been a fraud, Cramer is legit

_______
05-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Nate Silver wrote a book on prediction which I would recommend to anyone.

A very small part of it discussed our prejudice toward those who sound certain versus those who make predictions that are hedged. We love to hear that something is a 100% lock and are more likely to act on such a prediction than we are on someone providing a more realistic assessment of say, a 55% probability of an event.

The fact is that what makes entertaining TV (loud voices and certainty) isn't necessarily the recipe for a true understanding of any issue.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Signal-Noise-Many-Predictions/dp/159420411X

I personally find Cramer's morning zoo approach to TV unwatchable but I understand a lot of people clearly disagree. There's room for all kinds obviously. I just don't get what's entertaining about a guy giving seemingly random and often wrong advice with sound effects.

Booyaa!

DJofSD
05-07-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm unclear why anyone would care about the advice of a tout whose only defense of his market cheerleading into the 2008 collapse was that he's an entertainment figure not a financial guru.

It's hard to track his record as he doesn't make it easily available. But what little is available isn't good.

http://www.erictyson.com/articles/20080922#.U2qt_Nq9KSM
There's a lot more to JC than the rant that was heard 'round the world.

He's not just some yahoo off the street. He does have a history beyond '08 and he does have some cred.

badcompany
05-08-2014, 07:11 AM
There's a lot more to JC than the rant that was heard 'round the world.

He's not just some yahoo off the street. He does have a history beyond '08 and he does have some cred.

Like all touts, he can talk the talk, but, the only difference between him and some hustler selling stock tips is the size of his platform.

RaceBookJoe
05-08-2014, 09:05 AM
Cramer also had the ceo of REGN on his show when the stock was $5, so I guess he gets credit? I would trade a $12 loss on WFM for a $300 gain everytime, so if anyone wants to give me $300 in crumpled "Bens", I have 12 crisp "gw's" waiting for ya :) Cramer is great at what he does...fundamental research ( usually ) and entertainment..he is always saying that he wants you in the game. What he sucks at is timing. Take his ideas, run them through your research/IBD ratings whatever and then make your own decisions both in buying and selling or shorting then covering.

PICSIX
05-08-2014, 09:13 AM
Cramer also had the ceo of REGN on his show when the stock was $5, so I guess he gets credit? I would trade a $12 loss on WFM for a $300 gain everytime, so if anyone wants to give me $300 in crumpled "Bens", I have 12 crisp "gw's" waiting for ya :) Cramer is great at what he does...fundamental research ( usually ) and entertainment..he is always saying that he wants you in the game. What he sucks at is timing. Take his ideas, run them through your research/IBD ratings whatever and then make your own decisions both in buying and selling or shorting then covering.

Agree 100% on his horrible timing, and timing is everything! My neighbor has done well waiting for the big down moves in Cramer's picks before he buys.

tucker6
05-08-2014, 10:51 AM
This morning, Jim Cramer did in fact mention that Whole Foods has missed six or seven quarters in a row!

But, because the co-CEO of Whole Foods -- I believe his name is Robb -- appeared on CNBC, then that's a 'good' sign where since others may have ducked the softball questions.

Egad... he is worst than horse racing touts.
That's the problem right there with Whole Foods. There can be only one CEO. Someone has to lead with one voice. Pick one and let the other go.

badcompany
05-08-2014, 12:35 PM
That's the problem right there with Whole Foods. There can be only one CEO. Someone has to lead with one voice. Pick one and let the other go.

Whole Foods need to capitulate and admit that paper bags suck, especially in bad weather. Having your bag full of groceries continually fall apart gets old after a while.

badcompany
05-08-2014, 03:37 PM

In 2006, Cramer told viewers to Avoid REGN. Also note the Sears recommendation at a top.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/0b276f12f80fef0f151f618c88aefacd_zpsf1091044.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/90e9051df173cdba173216f0bfb1a912_zpsfabbce34.jpg

As I said, Cramer's skills are talking the talking and self-promotion. His results for investors are abysmal.

RaceBookJoe
05-08-2014, 06:26 PM
That article was from august 2006, looks like SHLD went up $20 from there, nice profit..worst case if someone was smart was a stoploss at breakeven. Cant remember what year he started his show, but REGN didn't run until a couple years later, kept basing. He talks stocks, biggest issue most "investors" have is that I think they expect him to give sell signal/profit targets..which he doesn't. That's why I say, listen to him if you want, then take it a step further with your own research/timing etc.