PDA

View Full Version : re-writing history

lamboguy
05-06-2014, 01:12 PM
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/05/california-school-district-gives-students-jaw-dropping-holocaust-assignment-in-attempt-to-meet-common-core-standards/?utm_campaign=ShareButtons&utm_source=email&utm_medium=story

Saratoga_Mike
05-06-2014, 01:19 PM
This has nothing to do with the Common Core. It stems from a school district with no common sense.

lamboguy
05-06-2014, 01:21 PM
i hate to tell you this, i don't like common core, and i don't like the school district.

Ralph got the right idea with his bullets, he is prepared

Clocker
05-06-2014, 01:30 PM
This has nothing to do with the Common Core. It stems from a school district with no common sense.

It happened in California, which certainly needs no guidelines from Washington to be on the cutting edge of politically correct insanity.

I will post the following without comment, other than to say that it is from the local media, and not from The Onion:

Interim Superintendent Mohammad Z. Islam was set to talk with administrators to “assure that any references to the holocaust ‘not occurring’ will be stricken on any current or future Argumentative Research assignments,” a statement from district spokeswoman Syeda Jafri read.

TJDave
05-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Interim Superintendent Mohammad Z. Islam was set to talk with administrators to “assure that any references to the holocaust ‘not occurring’ will be stricken on any current or future Argumentative Research assignments,” a statement from district spokeswoman Syeda Jafri read.

It would be interesting if the superintendent were to complete the assignment. ;)

JustRalph
05-06-2014, 01:48 PM

Maybe, but with an agenda

JustRalph
05-06-2014, 02:02 PM
Similar story

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/05/06/watch-what-happens-when-one-parent-speaks-out-at-a-school-board-meeting-about-a-controversial-book-assigned-to-his-daughter/

DJofSD
05-06-2014, 02:04 PM
I have a son in public school. Common Core is mentioned as a part of the description of the regular curriculum all of the time.

Is it? That's hard to say since there's little to base an evaluation of what is exactly Common Core.

The school has been taking a series of test the last week. They're separate from the normal test given periodically but these are being described as for Common Core.

Some how the justification for using iPads is involved. When it comes to using iPads some subjects are well suited while others are not. For example, the way they're trying to teach algebra absolutely sucks. The recent course work has been fundamentals of radicals ( SQRT(A*B) == SQRT(A) * SQRT(B)), the Pythagorean Theorem and combining both of those to apply to solving problems using Cartesian coordinate diagrams, general problems using plane geometry and real world problems. IT SUCKS!

Tom
05-06-2014, 03:56 PM
Forget common core - go back to readin' writin' and 'rithmatic.
Stop graduating morons with political agendas.
You can be PC after you stop being illiterate.

Saratoga_Mike
05-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Maybe, but with an agenda

If Bill Bennett* had developed Common Core (with no changes to it), I think you and others would support it. It's higher standards. It isn't a lesson plan or a specific "agenda" (i.e., question the Holocaust). We now have many conservatives espousing the same crap about "teaching to the test" (don't know where you stand on this matter) that Dems have babbled on about for years. "Teaching to the test" is a great thing. It's how kids learn. They study, absorb and synthesis information, then we give them a test to see if it all happened.

It's the same thing with Medicare. Years ago, when Reps/conservatives wanted sensible Medicare reform (i.e., reduce the rate of growth), liberals demagogued the issue to death. As a result, nothing happened. Now just to score political points, Reps/conservatives are playing the same game with Obama. He was right to make reductions in Medicare spending. I just didn't/don't like where he redirected those monies, but that isn't the argument Reps are making. They're making the same damn "he hates your grandmother" argument that Dems previously lobbed against Reps. Disgraceful. More importantly, it will make serious entitlement reform even more difficult in the future.

*I'm guessing he's on record opposing it, but I standby my claim here.

Saratoga_Mike
05-06-2014, 05:21 PM
It happened in California, which certainly needs no guidelines from Washington to be on the cutting edge of politically correct insanity.

I will post the following without comment, other than to say that it is from the local media, and not from The Onion:

I have no earthly idea what some whack-job has to do with the Common Core. Why conflate the two?

classhandicapper
05-06-2014, 07:00 PM
The problem with standards being implemented at almost anything other than a local level is not that a bunch of reasonable people can't agree on most things. It's that eventually some unreasonable people or people with agendas will gain political power and use it to implement standards that a lot of reasonable people don't agree with and don't want their children taught.

The people in favor of these things are generally the people currently in power. It's not until they aren't in power and someone diametrically opposed to them is trying to create standards that they don't approve of that they begin to understand the greater principle.

I have a very liberal friend from NY that moved to Georgia. Some of the things they are fighting about in the schools down there drive him crazy. He wishes there were some federal standards. He never even considers the possibility that some of the folks in Georgia he disagrees with may be the ones making the federal standards someday.

Dave Schwartz
05-06-2014, 07:39 PM
Perhaps we should rewrite history because some ethnic groups might be offended by reading or hearing about reality.

Or, maybe, this could be a wake-up call for the fact that there is sometimes a thing called TRUTH that neither knows nor cares who is offended.

It was not a coincidence when Jewish people said that we must remember the Holocaust so that it is never repeated. Apparently, now we must remember it in order to prove that it ever happened.

This is just WRONG!

Tom
05-06-2014, 09:20 PM
Anyone who denies the Holocaust is a liar. I make the exception here and suggest they be beaten senseless by a crowd. It would be a history lesson for them. This school needs to be closed and the staff fired.

DJofSD
05-06-2014, 10:31 PM
If Bill Bennett* had developed Common Core (with no changes to it), I think you and others would support it.

Well, think again.

Central planning does not work when it comes to education. If it was such a wonderful thing, the educational system of the former Soviet Union would be the model to follow.

Oops, we're doing it any ways.

Saratoga_Mike
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
Well, think again.

Central planning does not work when it comes to education. If it was such a wonderful thing, the educational system of the former Soviet Union would be the model to follow.

Oops, we're doing it any ways.

It isn't central planning. That's laughable. It isn't the Soviet school system.

Guess what? The American educational system isn't working. Asking school districts to aspire to higher standards is hardly the Stalinization of America. Again, if Bill Bennett had come up with these standards, most on the right would support them. ZERO doubt in my mind.

To improve our education system, we need higher standards, better teachers, a higher degree of parental involvement and more charter schools and vouchers.

lamboguy
05-07-2014, 11:24 AM
i don't care how good the schools are these days. the other day i sent a kid to put $2 in quarters in the parking meter. the kid went to the bathroom before he went outside. by that time the meter ran out and a parking maid probably was waiting for the time to expire. the kid comes back with the parking ticket, i asked him what about the quarters i gave you. he said he put them in the meter!

DJofSD
05-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Fine, Bill Bennett is a god and his words and deeds are never, ever disagreed with by right-wing robots.

Not central planning? Not a soviet style system? Who's fooling who?

As usual, while the goals are laudable, the means to achieving them fail miserably.

Saratoga_Mike
05-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Fine, Bill Bennett is a god and his words and deeds are never, ever disagreed with by right-wing robots.

Not central planning? Not a soviet style system? Who's fooling who?

As usual, while the goals are laudable, the means to achieving them fail miserably.

The goals are laudable? How so? What parts?

Saratoga_Mike
05-07-2014, 11:55 AM
i don't care how good the schools are these days. the other day i sent a kid to put $2 in quarters in the parking meter. the kid went to the bathroom before he went outside. by that time the meter ran out and a parking maid probably was waiting for the time to expire. the kid comes back with the parking ticket, i asked him what about the quarters i gave you. he said he put them in the meter!

The product of the Marxist Common Core agenda, no doubt.

DJofSD
05-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Laudable goals -- what you said:

To improve our education system, we need higher standards, better teachers, a higher degree of parental involvement and more charter schools and vouchers.

Let's start with social promotions. When was the last time a student was held back?

JustRalph
05-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Let's start with social promotions. When was the last time a student was held back?

I've been taking some classes on weekends. One of my classmates is a school teacher in Grand Prairie Texas. 15 yrs and taking classes on weekends to bail out. He was a principal for two years and this year went back to teaching a regular 8th grade US history class because he says that Principals are figure heads. No tools for enforcement of anything on teachers or students. The schools fear the parents, who are constantly threatening lawsuits.

He says the teachers are more and more individuals with advanced degrees that can't find work in their field and are counting time, nothing else. Never wanted to teach but find work due to their education, as a last bastion they become teachers.

He tells me that he hasn't seen a student held back or "failed a grade" in almost ten years. They basically get a pass right through to high school where diploma requirements kick in, by then it's too late. They realize in high school they now have to meet requirements to graduate, after being able to coast for 7-8 yrs it's all downhill from there.