PDA

View Full Version : Preakness Field

Smarty Cide
05-04-2014, 03:47 PM
From what I just read on twitter by @drfderby looks like we might have a have time getting 10 in the field let alone the max of 14...

Saratoga_Mike
05-04-2014, 03:53 PM
I read Cali Chrome may skip the Preakness - he's going cure world hunger that weekend instead. Once this news is out, I'd expect a full field.

horses4courses
05-04-2014, 03:56 PM
It could turn into a match race between CC and Strong Mandate.... :rolleyes:

Mad Scientist
05-04-2014, 06:05 PM
I can just imagine a match race between Chrome and Strong Mandate. Chrome could give him a 10 length head start and still win under wraps.

TMQ
05-04-2014, 06:08 PM
:rolleyes:

bks
05-04-2014, 06:11 PM
I read Cali Chrome may skip the Preakness - he's going cure world hunger that weekend instead. Once this news is out, I'd expect a full field.

Now Mike, I understand it's just a figure of speech, but world hunger doesn't need "curing": it needs advanced capitalist countries to stop burning crops, paying farmers not to produce food, and practicing other forms of supply suppression.

Izzy2742
05-04-2014, 09:35 PM
According to the Preakness website, here are some names so far:

California Chrome
Commanding Curve
Ride On Curlin
Pablo Del Monte
Kid Cruz
Dynamic Impact
Bayern
Social Inclusion

Also possible:

Ring Weekend
Strong Mandate

Valuist
05-04-2014, 10:28 PM
Social Inclusion scratched out of a Gulfstream stake yesterday. Wonder if he's hurt.

If Bayern, Social Inclusion, Ring Weekend and Pablo Del Monte all show up, California Chrome is going to have to prove his versatililty.

SecretAgentMan
05-04-2014, 10:37 PM
Social Inclusion scratched out of a Gulfstream stake yesterday. Wonder if he's hurt.

If Bayern, Social Inclusion, Ring Weekend and Pablo Del Monte all show up, California Chrome is going to have to prove his versatililty.

Hope they all show up & more........that way I can get 6-5 on Chrome.

Racey
05-04-2014, 10:41 PM
3-5 no higher...

SecretAgentMan
05-04-2014, 11:06 PM
I remember all the rambling about how Chrome was gonna be 6-5 in the derby, lol!

Edward DeVere
05-04-2014, 11:08 PM

Counting yesterday as a Big Win - and I do - the horse now has five Ainslie Big Wins in a row. That's all the versatility I need to see.

Doesn't mean he can't lose; they all can lose. But no horse in the Preakness will be more versatile than California Chrome.

Mad Scientist
05-04-2014, 11:10 PM
You left Danza off the list of Preakness possibles. Peltcher said he was 50/50 to run ...

Valuist
05-04-2014, 11:17 PM
I remember all the rambling about how Chrome was gonna be 6-5 in the derby, lol!

And he wasn't close to 6-5.

luisbe
05-04-2014, 11:41 PM
According to the Preakness website, here are some names so far:

California Chrome
Commanding Curve
Ride On Curlin
Pablo Del Monte
Kid Cruz
Dynamic Impact
Bayern
Social Inclusion

Also possible:

Ring Weekend
Strong Mandate

Commanding Curve doesn't belong in the Preakness field, they should skip it for the Belmont where he's got a huge chance.

BetHorses!
05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Commanding Curve doesn't belong in the Preakness field, they should skip it for the Belmont where he's got a huge chance.

I thought they already said Belmont next?

luisbe
05-04-2014, 11:42 PM
Counting yesterday as a Big Win - and I do - the horse now has five Ainslie Big Wins in a row. That's all the versatility I need to see.

Doesn't mean he can't lose; they all can lose. But no horse in the Preakness will be more versatile than California Chrome.

Bayern did not prove it last time out.

iceknight
05-05-2014, 12:32 AM
Now Mike, I understand it's just a figure of speech, but world hunger doesn't need "curing": it needs advanced capitalist countries to stop burning crops, paying farmers not to produce food, and practicing other forms of supply suppression. Cali Chrome might be starting a presidential campaign then, they did nt call it the year of the horse for nothin

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 12:36 AM
Counting yesterday as a Big Win - and I do - Why? According to what I remember of Ainslie's work, the Derby does not count as a big win.

He was not pulling away, and he did not win by at least two lengths.

SecretAgentMan
05-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Why? According to what I remember of Ainslie's work, the Derby does not count as a big win.

A win is a win.......& in a 19 horse field, its a huge win!

Valuist
05-05-2014, 11:41 AM

Why doesn't he fit in the Preakness? He just finished in front of 17 other Derby runners. And those late rallying runups in the Derby often don't run well in the Belmont.

Clocker
05-05-2014, 11:51 AM

Based on his record, he didn't belong in the Derby either. :p

I didn't pay any attention to him until Andy Beyer mentioned him in his recap of the race. The horse had one win lifetime, a Mdn41K at CD in November. He sneaked in with 20 points from a 3rd place finish in the La. Derby. Looks like he needs about a mile or so just to get warmed up.

horses4courses
05-05-2014, 12:39 PM

You would think, by what you're saying, that the horse was full out,
and couldn't have won by more.

That wasn't the final quarter mile I saw.
That horse could have won by daylight if he'd been urged.

Dark Horse
05-05-2014, 12:42 PM
You would think, by what you're saying, that the horse was full out,
and couldn't have won by more.

That wasn't the final quarter mile I saw.
That horse could have won by daylight if he'd been urged.

Yes. And Espinoza confirmed that by saying he was saving energy for the Preakness.

Robert Fischer
05-05-2014, 12:53 PM

Tom Ainslie had a definition of winning by a certain style that he referred to as a "Big Win".
Ainslie lists this twice in his book."Complete Guide To Thoroughbred Racing".

On page 267 in the 58 plus factors chapter.

Last race a big win: The most powerful kind of victory is that in which the horse leads at the stretch call, or is close to the pace, and wins going away.

He lists it again in the chapter how to build your own system on page 296.

Principle 15: Play a contender that won its last race by gaining in the stretch after leading or running within 2 lengths of the leader at the stretch call, provided the race occurred within two weeks.

Reasoning: The big win is the most reliable sign of powerful, winning form. But if the horse is kept out of action for more than 2 weeks, one must assume that illness or injury has prevented the trainer from cashing in again.

KidCapper

- not sure if you are an Ainslie buff and just joking or whether this was new to you (it was new to me before this board), but posted this for everyone's benefit anyway.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 01:15 PM
That horse could have won by daylight if he'd been urged.One of the biggest myths connected to racing, for the most part...a horse "could have won by a lot more if he was asked."

Rubbish.

horses4courses
05-05-2014, 01:26 PM
One of the biggest myths connected to racing, for the most part...a horse "could have won by a lot more if he was asked."

Rubbish.

Each to their own.
That horse was not urged inside the eighth pole.
He ran as he pleased.

California Chrome could have at least doubled his winning margin
had he been ridden more aggressively late in the race.
Say rubbish all you want.......

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 01:28 PM
Each to their own.
That horse was not urged inside the eighth pole.
He ran as he pleased.That's fine. However, there is no way that horse wins by 3+ lengths if he was whipped inside the eighth pole. That's what some of you are saying.

For that to be the case, Commanding Curve would have had to come to a virtual crawl, and that wasn't happening...

horses4courses
05-05-2014, 01:31 PM
That's fine. However, there is no way that horse wins by 3+ lengths if he was whipped inside the eighth pole. That's what some of you are saying.

For that to be the case, Commanding Curve would have had to come to a virtual crawl, and that wasn't happening...

It has nothing to with Commanding Curve.
That horse, and all those close behind him, were foot to the floor.
The winner was not.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 01:35 PM
It has nothing to with Commanding Curve.
That horse, and all those close behind him, were foot to the floor.
The winner was not.So then, California Chrome wouldn't have won by much more "if asked," would he?

How much more do you really think Chrome had at the end of that 10f race? You really think he could have won by 3+ lengths if Espinoza had been pushing him?

horses4courses
05-05-2014, 01:36 PM
So then, California Chrome wouldn't have won by much more "if asked," would he?

How much more do you really think Chrome had at the end of that 10f race? You really think he could have won by 3+ lengths if Espinoza had been pushing him?

Yes

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 01:38 PM
How does he gain over a length on his hard closing rival just from being pushed by his jockey? Do you realize what kind of effort that would entail in the relatively small distance of ground we're talking about?

horses4courses
05-05-2014, 01:43 PM
How does he gain over a length on his hard closing rival just from being pushed by his jockey? Do you realize what kind of effort that would entail in the relatively small distance of ground we're talking about?

I see what you're saying if the pressure is exerted on the horse too late.
Had Espinoza been more aggressive on the horse from between the quarter pole to the eighth pole,
they could have put more distance between himself and the rest.
He didn't have to.
The race was over, and the horse was still running easily.

dannyhill
05-05-2014, 01:51 PM
The key factor for me in situations like these is how hard he was asked from the top of the stretch to the 1/8 pole. If you feel he was all out till the 1/8 pole then likely he would not have won by many more lengths. The subjective part of trip handicapping.

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 01:55 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are some of you saying the reason CC was ahead by 5 at one point but only won by 1.75 is that his jockey wasn't pushing him?

dannyhill
05-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Just because a jockey is not whipping and slashing on a horse doesn't mean it can go a lot faster. Not so easy to shut a 950 lb horse down as some may think. Often a horse will run all out no matter what the jock on his back is doing. Especially 1 that is not dog tired.

BettinBilly
05-05-2014, 06:08 PM
Got the Tweet today from Bloodhorse that Hoppertunity is out for the entire Crown after Surgery in Lexington.

Commanding Curve taking Preakness off, but will Target Belmont.

horses4courses
05-05-2014, 06:34 PM
Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Are some of you saying the reason CC was ahead by 5 at one point but only won by 1.75 is that his jockey wasn't pushing him?

You're saying he was weakening as others were starting to do their best running.
That wasn't the race that I was watching.

Tall One
05-05-2014, 07:03 PM

Seemed the field was backing up, more so than him drawing off.

The slower horses caused a lot of traffic for the majority of the late runners.

Stretch run, other than the CC's, it looked like a game of dodge ball out there.

Mad Scientist
05-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Victor was not even urging the horse at all and in fact struck a victory pose well before the wire and commanding curve was all out till the end with his jockey asking him for everything he had and you say that it's "rubbish" that he could have won by more lol !!!!

It's bettors like you that make me very happy that horse racing is a pari-mutuel game ....

San Felipe .... Chrome sits right off leader and effortlessly opens up by 5 in the blink of a eye and romps home under wraps ...

Santa Anita Derby ... Ditto

Kentucky Derby .... Ditto

Sensing a pattern here ?

But hey load up on Bayern or Social Inclusion or whoever it is you like in the Preakness. Your 100% right. Chrome is a fluke , and the only reason he won the last 5 races so easy was because of the dream trips he got ...

Like I said gotta love the pari-mutuel game !!!!

Smarty Cide
05-05-2014, 07:24 PM
Looks like the Preakness field will be less then 10 horses... Gonna be hard to make money betting chrome... gonna have to hit a pick 3 or 4 singling him

Rex Phinney
05-05-2014, 07:40 PM
All I see in here is fanboys of CC and haters, noone of real reason. That's too bad.

Let me tell you how I saw it, Espinoza rode the horse same as he always has, at the top of the stretch he shook the reins at him, then even though CC was drawing off, Espinoza did a very smart thing, knowing this stretch was longer than CC is used to, he got on the horse, made sure to keep him going.

I'm a fan of CC but I'm not dumb enough to think that modern thoroughbred is going 10 furlongs, beating 18 other horses and not using it all up. They where catching him at the end, but the race is 10 furlongs, not 11 so what does it matter?

Good handicappers should know from what they saw of CC Saturday that the Preakness will be friendly to him, someone who has watched enough of these races knows that it's harder to win the Preakness from the clouds than the Derby, the track is much friendlier to stalkers and speed in general. It's the reason horses like Shackleford and Oxbow found the winner's circle and it's the reason connections want Bayern and Social Inclusion there.

MY guess is, noone will beat CC from the front end, he has already passed the toughest test for that, he won the Derby while the 5 horses who ran nearest him thru the first half of the race backed up badly.

If he gets beat (and he isn't unbeatable, again the voice of reason here) it will be Birdstone version 2.0

onefast99
05-05-2014, 07:45 PM
All I see in here is fanboys of CC and haters, noone of real reason. That's too bad.

Let me tell you how I saw it, Espinoza rode the horse same as he always has, at the top of the stretch he shook the reins at him, then even though CC was drawing off, Espinoza did a very smart thing, knowing this stretch was longer than CC is used to, he got on the horse, made sure to keep him going.

I'm a fan of CC but I'm not dumb enough to think that modern thoroughbred is going 10 furlongs, beating 18 other horses and not using it all up. They where catching him at the end, but the race is 10 furlongs, not 11 so what does it matter?

Good handicappers should know from what they saw of CC Saturday that the Preakness will be friendly to him, someone who has watched enough of these races knows that it's harder to win the Preakness from the clouds than the Derby, the track is much friendlier to stalkers and speed in general. It's the reason horses like Shackleford and Oxbow found the winner's circle and it's the reason connections want Bayern and Social Inclusion there.

MY guess is, noone will beat CC from the front end, he has already passed the toughest test for that, he won the Derby while the 5 horses who ran nearest him thru the first half of the race backed up badly.

If he gets beat (and he isn't unbeatable, again the voice of reason here) it will be Birdstone version 2.0
CC got a real clean trip, the first turn in the derby took 3 horses out of the race completely. Bravo made a great run while getting mugged and left for dead, commanding curve made up some real good ground. I like front runners in the Preakness it will be a real interesting race.

Smarty Cide
05-05-2014, 07:49 PM
Looks like 9 in consideration

California Chrome
Danza
Ride on Curlin
Bayern
Dynamic Impact
Kid Cruz
Pablo Del Monte
Ring Weekend
Social Inclusion

if you can toss 3 of them out of the super and box the rest under california chrome the wager will cost you 60 bucks

lowest payout on a super was 2004 paid 230

super paid 1192 in 2008 big brown's year

Mad Scientist
05-05-2014, 08:06 PM
Yeah that's exactly what I am saying.

Just like the start of the race when Chrome wanted the lead but Victor would not let him go and he settled in a stalking position. During the stretch run Victor had put away the whip and was planning his victory pose and he was just letting Chrome gallop home as he pleased. Meanwhile Bridgoham was all over Commanding Curve causing curve to have his head down and in a all out drive.

When you have one horse in a all out drive and the other horse just galloping home under no urging it makes sense that the horse in a all out drive is going to be making up some ground.

If you were really that unimpressed by Chromes performance than I don't know who really impressed you than because nobody came close to beating him.

Let me try to explain to you the difference of a horse being ridden under a drive and a horse being allowed to gallop. Remember the Preakness that Rachel won. Remember how Mine that Bird was coming at her at the end, and after the race they asked Calvin if he saw MTB and he said he had him spotted 3 jumps to the wire and he just put his stick away and let her gallop home .

What he was saying was that he knew he had the race won so he stopped pushing her because there was no way MTB was going to catch her.

That's not a perfect comparison because Chrome had the race won well before Rachel did but I hope you get the idea. Victor knew the race was won mid stretch and did not want go ask the horse for anything more because he knows the triple crown is the goal with this horse and Bridgoham and every other jockey that was within 6 or 7 lengths of the lead were in all our drives to get as high of placing as they could .

I can't tell you exactly how Chrome would respond if Victor really got to work on him and they got to the bottom of him because he's been winning with such ease that his stretch runs are nothing more than victory parades ....

PICSIX
05-05-2014, 08:09 PM
Got the Tweet today from Bloodhorse that Hoppertunity is out for the entire Crown after Surgery in Lexington.

He was my Derby pick & I like this move :ThmbUp:

Mad Scientist
05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
The only interesting part of the Preakness will be who completes the exacta underneath Chrome ....

MNslappy
05-05-2014, 08:32 PM
The only interesting part of the Preakness will be who completes the exacta underneath Chrome ....

I think if you go back and watch Social Inclusion's races, especially the Wood, you might change your mind on whether the race for 1st is going to be interesting. I'm not saying he's going to win the Preakness, but listen, SI is a damn serious racehorse. This race isn't a foregone conclusion.

BettinBilly
05-05-2014, 08:42 PM
He was my Derby pick & I like this move :ThmbUp:

One of my exotics, I Capped Curve to Show in a Trifecta with Chrome and Danza, and luckily Boxed it. Almost didn't. Curve was on the outside of my picks, and a last minute add on that exotic. I admit, I overlooked Curve. Big mistake for me. I also had a few exotics with Wicked, but he just couldn't overcome that outside post position run to the wire. 4th was a good job for him, IMO. I believe we would have seen a different race if Wicked had a central post position, but that's history now and no use debating it.

Capping the Preakness will be interesting. As stated, by others above, I'll probably see what exotics I can construct around Chrome.

onefast99
05-05-2014, 08:52 PM
Tell us who you like to complete the exacta, trifecta and superfecta, please.

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 01:02 AM
You're saying he was weakening as others were starting to do their best running.
That wasn't the race that I was watching.I never said he was weakening...where did I say that?

What I said was he wasn't going to win by much more had his jockey been whipping and slashing...

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 01:04 AM
Victor was not even urging the horse at all and in fact struck a victory pose well before the wire and commanding curve was all out till the end with his jockey asking him for everything he had and you say that it's "rubbish" that he could have won by more lol !!!!

It's bettors like you that make me very happy that horse racing is a pari-mutuel game ....

San Felipe .... Chrome sits right off leader and effortlessly opens up by 5 in the blink of a eye and romps home under wraps ...

Santa Anita Derby ... Ditto

Kentucky Derby .... Ditto

Sensing a pattern here ?

But hey load up on Bayern or Social Inclusion or whoever it is you like in the Preakness. Your 100% right. Chrome is a fluke , and the only reason he won the last 5 races so easy was because of the dream trips he got ...

Like I said gotta love the pari-mutuel game !!!!I'd be happy to go head-to-head with you in a picks contest to see who is the better handicapper.

Picks in the night before so that it is a level playing field. I'll even let you name your track.

And I've started deleting your more spammy CC posts...not every thread about the Derby needs a sarcastic "I told you so" type of reply...

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 01:07 AM
Yeah that's exactly what I am saying.

Just like the start of the race when Chrome wanted the lead but Victor would not let him go and he settled in a stalking position. During the stretch run Victor had put away the whip and was planning his victory pose and he was just letting Chrome gallop home as he pleased. Meanwhile Bridgoham was all over Commanding Curve causing curve to have his head down and in a all out drive.

When you have one horse in a all out drive and the other horse just galloping home under no urging it makes sense that the horse in a all out drive is going to be making up some ground.

If you were really that unimpressed by Chromes performance than I don't know who really impressed you than because nobody came close to beating him.

Let me try to explain to you the difference of a horse being ridden under a drive and a horse being allowed to gallop. Remember the Preakness that Rachel won. Remember how Mine that Bird was coming at her at the end, and after the race they asked Calvin if he saw MTB and he said he had him spotted 3 jumps to the wire and he just put his stick away and let her gallop home .

What he was saying was that he knew he had the race won so he stopped pushing her because there was no way MTB was going to catch her.

That's not a perfect comparison because Chrome had the race won well before Rachel did but I hope you get the idea. Victor knew the race was won mid stretch and did not want go ask the horse for anything more because he knows the triple crown is the goal with this horse and Bridgoham and every other jockey that was within 6 or 7 lengths of the lead were in all our drives to get as high of placing as they could .

I can't tell you exactly how Chrome would respond if Victor really got to work on him and they got to the bottom of him because he's been winning with such ease that his stretch runs are nothing more than victory parades ....Jocks can say whatever they want...doesn't make it true. In reality, neither jock really knows how much faster their horse could have gone at the point they "stopped asking."

My theory is and will always be, neither horse could have gone all that much faster...maybe you would have gotten another .25-.5 length at the wire if they were asking for everything...

Valuist
05-06-2014, 10:11 AM

IMO, this is a mistake. The horse is very sharp right now. 3 year olds often pair up big efforts. Those deep closers in the Derby often struggle in the slow paced Belmont.

Hopefully the rest of his 3 YO season will go better than the post Derby 3 YO season for Golden Soul.

Smarty Cide
05-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Ria Antonia to the Preakness

Mad Scientist
05-06-2014, 11:12 AM
Well I won't be able to give my official Preakness picks until I know who is going to be in the race, but I can say that I am a big fan of Kid Cruz so if he runs I imagine I will be using him some underneath Chrome.

Mad Scientist
05-06-2014, 11:15 AM
So how do you want to do it ? That we have a pre determined hypothetical amount of money to spend on each race or card ?

Valuist
05-06-2014, 02:48 PM
Ria Antonia to the Preakness

Run 6th against fillies in the Oaks.....seems logical to take on the best males :bang:

Either that, or the Preakness is her prep for the Ohio Derby.

thaskalos
05-06-2014, 03:35 PM

It might have been a "huge" win to you...but it wasn't a "Big Win" according to Ainslie -- who coined the phrase as it's used in this context. In fact...Ainslie was suspicious of horses who lost 3+ lengths down the stretch -- especially after a good trip and a comfortable pace.

I agree with PA here. This was no "Ainslie Big Win" by CC.

Smarty Cide
05-06-2014, 04:03 PM
Pablo Del Monte and Ring Weekend are easy tosses

I like Kid Cruz to hit top 4 at a price

Rex Phinney
05-06-2014, 05:18 PM
It might have been a "huge" win to you...but it wasn't a "Big Win" according to Ainslie -- who coined the phrase as it's used in this context. In fact...Ainslie was suspicious of horses who lost 3+ lengths down the stretch -- especially after a good trip and a comfortable pace.

I agree with PA here. This was no "Ainslie Big Win" by CC.

I think you are right, let's stick to the theory and find a horse in the Preakness who is coming of a Big Win and hasn't been out longer than two weeks. Wait.......

The theory he discusses involves horses being able to carry the Big Win form to the next race, and that he thinks that form is lost after two weeks time. So I'm not sure how applicable it is here, or in any modern race.

PhantomOnTour
05-06-2014, 05:34 PM
Does anyone else think this Preakness field is shaping up with a ton of quality speed?
Does anyone think this will hurt the chances of Cali Chrome?

My major question about him before the Derby was how he would handle the fast pace...well, that fast pace never happened. It almost surely will in Baltimore if Social Inclusion, Bayern, Pablo Del Monte and Ring Weekend go.

That's a lot of pace for Cali Chrome to be in and amongst and still put them all away. This race may be a truer test of his abilities than the Derby.

Looing forward to the next challenge.

fmolf
05-06-2014, 05:41 PM
Does anyone else think this Preakness field is shaping up with a ton of quality speed?

My major question about him before the Derby was how he would handle the fast pace...well, that fast pace never happened. It almost surely will in Baltimore if Social Inclusion, Bayern, Pablo Del Monte and Ring Weekend go.

That's a lot of pace for Cali Chrome to be in and amongst and still put them all away. This race may be a truer test of his abilities than the Derby.

Looing forward to the next challenge.I totally agree.All those speed types and need the lead types and noone but samraat went to the front.CC may stil lwin but i think it will be a tougher race than the derby.

Rex Phinney
05-06-2014, 05:54 PM
I totally agree.All those speed types and need the lead types and noone but samraat went to the front.CC may stil lwin but i think it will be a tougher race than the derby.

I think he showed in the Derby he can be slowed when asked, he had every intention of going on under the wire the first time and Espinoza was able to reign him in. I also think the Preakness is in general better for his style of running, so I'm not to worried about the speed in the race.

This race will be tougher for him because of the 2 week turnaround and the distance of his last race, so it's a question of whether he can bring his A game, if he does he can win even with all this speed, but the chances are greater he will not have his A game.

precocity
05-06-2014, 06:20 PM

think Social Inclusion can win it!
who is the closer in this race ride on curling?????

Smarty Cide
05-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Social Inclusion faded in the Wood at 1 1/8 and Bayern is probably best at a mile. Ring weekend faded big time in the Calder derby and im pretty sure he lost by like 9 lengths..

BlinkersOn
05-06-2014, 07:15 PM
What are the owners/trainers thinking entering Ria Antonia in the Preakness? That seems beyond stupid.

Smarty Cide
05-06-2014, 07:30 PM
so obviously stupid that you gotta wonder what do they know that i dont?

bks
05-06-2014, 07:35 PM

Speed, yes. Quality speed? At a classic distance? Not at all proven.

Anyway, I see Chrome sitting behind the speed at classic distances, and if several want the lead in the Preakness it only plays into his hands. As in the Derby, it would project to a trip where he gets firs run on the closers, and that's likely to be lights out at the shorter distance.

Smarty Cide
05-06-2014, 07:38 PM
kid cruz looks like the only closer in this race

precocity
05-06-2014, 07:44 PM
kid cruz looks like the only closer in this race
who in the hell is that! :D

Mad Scientist
05-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Pace Advantage .... Where is the thread you said you were starting for our contest ?

Mad Scientist
05-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Kid Cruz is not only the only closer, but he is also the 2nd best horse in the race. As good as his last two races were on paper they are even better in real life. He closed into very slow fractions on days that were not friendly to closer types.

He is not California Chrome but he is easily better than anything else that will be running ....

Grits
05-06-2014, 08:32 PM
Pace Advantage .... Where is the thread you said you were starting for our contest ?

I'm not PA, but if you're waiting on him? You're backing up! :lol:

Its where he posted it 9 hours ago, in the selections folder, under the header, "Beat the Host PA style".

Conditions included.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113393

TheGarMan
05-06-2014, 08:37 PM
What are the owners/trainers thinking entering Ria Antonia in the Preakness? That seems beyond stupid.

Having read in detail about the owners of Ria in that other thread, the guy sounds like a real jackwagon.

Oh, and this is now his third trainer in four months.

Crazy decision. That poor horse will get destroyed in the Preakness.

I actually feel bad for her.

:bang:

Rex Phinney
05-06-2014, 08:52 PM
Having read in detail about the owners of Ria in that other thread, the guy sounds like a real jackwagon.

Oh, and this is now his third trainer in four months.

Crazy decision. That poor horse will get destroyed in the Preakness.

I actually feel bad for her.

:bang:

Agreed on all counts, when I heard of the trainer switch and the Preakness bid, my first thought was for the horse.

Smarty Cide
05-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Agreed on all counts, when I heard of the trainer switch and the Preakness bid, my first thought was for the horse.

lets just all hope that she holds up well and gets out of the race healthy

precocity
05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Kid Cruz is not only the only closer, but he is also the 2nd best horse in the race. As good as his last two races were on paper they are even better in real life. He closed into very slow fractions on days that were not friendly to closer types.

He is not California Chrome but he is easily better than anything else that will be running ....
so I guess in the derby you had the 2-3-4 best colt too? sure you did! you had too? I mean you picked a 5/2 winner! your a great capper? :liar:

precocity
05-06-2014, 09:06 PM
:D :D :D go to selections thread!!! claimer you will get destroyed!!!!

PaceAdvantage
05-07-2014, 12:55 AM
Pace Advantage .... Where is the thread you said you were starting for our contest ?Haven't you heard? I just sold the website and am running from you in fear to the other side of the world.

thaskalos
05-07-2014, 01:12 AM
The Mad Scientist is taking a huge jump in class here...IMO.

Smarty Cide
05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
is there a morning line on this handicapping contest?

Smarty Cide
05-09-2014, 10:19 AM
general a rod in for preakness

Mad Scientist
05-09-2014, 01:33 PM
I am not sure what the morning line is, but I am like California Chrome taking on pace who is a 5000 maiden claimer from moutaineer ....

Smarty Cide
05-09-2014, 01:43 PM
I am not sure what the morning line is, but I am like California Chrome taking on pace who is a 5000 maiden claimer from moutaineer ....

shots fired!!! shots fired!!!