PDA

View Full Version : Will 2014 give us a Triple Crown winner?

horses4courses
05-03-2014, 10:20 PM
Even with as visually impressive as he was today,
California Chrome still has a mountain to climb in the next five weeks in order to win the Triple Crown.

Do you think he can do it?

ArlJim78
05-03-2014, 10:26 PM
I vote yes, but as we all know the Belmont is unlike any other race, a true test for champions. we'll see.

TMQ
05-03-2014, 10:44 PM
I don't know if he can handle that distance. Some of the derby closer's will sit out the Preakness and wait for the marathon. I sure hope he can take down the TC though! :p

Zydeco
05-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Looks pretty good to me

thaskalos
05-03-2014, 11:06 PM
No.

nijinski
05-03-2014, 11:09 PM
He was a real pro today but it's too tough a task .
Not as many horses to get banged around so he could have
more of a challenge going forward .

Speed Figure
05-03-2014, 11:22 PM
I would love to see Untapable run in the Preakness! I think she would make the race very interesting.

JustRalph
05-03-2014, 11:39 PM
I would love to see Untapable run in the Preakness! I think she would make the race very interesting.

Toss in Social Inclusion, it gets real good.......

Thebigguy
05-03-2014, 11:41 PM
Toss in Social Inclusion, it gets real good.......
He was scratched out of a Preakness prep today.

SecretAgentMan
05-03-2014, 11:49 PM
IMO, he will win the Preaknes by 3 to 5 lengths......he won the derby by 1 3/4 lengths I believe but that was due to Espinoza celebrating & standing up before the finish line .

The Belmont track has been visited by 12 other horses trying to win the crown since the 70's only to be turned away.......the closest we came was 1998 with Real Quiet......lost by a nose.

Im pretty sure Baffert will have Hoppertunity running at Belmont. Baffert tried 3 times to win the crown but failed so I'm sure he wants to be a spoiler. Possibly Bayern & Chitu pressing the pace & Chrome hard?

Like Espinoza said, now the pressure starts going forward. I watched Espinoza in several interviews & this jockey looked like he had ice in his veins.

He did everything right riding Chrome. I'm pretty sure they win the Preakness but as a trainer, what kind of plan do you have for the jockey when everyone is trying to keep you from winning it all?

Maybe Chrome is a freak & when they press him at Belmont, he will just pull away from the rest.........

nijinski
05-03-2014, 11:53 PM

Her races with the exception of one were usually spaced .

bigbrown
05-04-2014, 12:35 AM
I hope so for the future of racing ... the story is already great and can be an inspiration for many ...

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2014, 12:40 AM
he won the derby by 1 3/4 lengths I believe but that was due to Espinoza celebrating & standing up before the finish line .Or else he might have won by 1 4/5 lengths...

bks
05-04-2014, 09:08 AM
I watched Espinoza in several interviews & this jockey looked like he had ice in his veins.

I'll be very surprised if he loses a TC race because of Victor. He was one of the top jockeys in America for a period of time 10-15 years ago, competing against a colony with several HOFers like Pincay, Delahoussaye, McCarron, Stevens, as well as Desormeaux, Solis and Garrett Gomez in their prime. Mikes Smith in there, too. The stage won't spook him and I doubt he'll make any big mistakes in a race.

The far bigger issue is the horse's quality during the gauntlet that is the TC. He's not a favorite to win the Crown in my book.

Smarty Cide
05-04-2014, 09:09 AM
something always goes wrong at belmont

fmolf
05-04-2014, 09:25 AM
I think that at least one of the speed horses will set a fast pace in the preakness.This did not happen in the derby despite all the so called "speed" horses in the starting gate!....He really had everything his way in the derby.It may not break that way in the next two races.If he loses the preakness he may not run in the belmont.

SecretAgentMan
05-04-2014, 09:32 AM
I think that at least one of the speed horses will set a fast pace in the preakness.This did not happen in the derby despite all the so called "speed" horses in the starting gate!....He really had everything his way in the derby.It may not break that way in the next two races.If he loses the preakness he may not run in the belmont.

If he loses in Baltimore, they will probably retire him but I don't see that happening because he will win the Preakness :)

Shelby
05-04-2014, 09:34 AM
No.

mostpost
05-04-2014, 12:21 PM
If he loses in Baltimore, they will probably retire him but I don't see that happening because he will win the Preakness :)
Barring an injury. I don't think there is a chance they will retire him this year and probably not next year. These guys are having too much fun; the horse is doing well and there are races to be won after the Triple Crown.

rstp354
05-04-2014, 12:28 PM
With his ability to get into the race early, high cursing speed and push button accleration, I say he wins it. It is about time! :ThmbUp:

raybo
05-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Good horse but probably too much to ask any 3 yo nowadays. So, NO, but one can always hope!!

clocker7
05-04-2014, 02:11 PM
I voted no because I think that his schedule will eventually rise and bite him.

But I caution. I saw Affirmed at the KD close up in the paddock at CD, and CC has a lot of his playful, nothing-intimidates-me qualities about him that Affirmed displayed. What an at-peace ham he was. (I ignored it at the time, and went with the nervous-energy Alydar instead. I learned from that mistake.)

This colt has not been tested during his run so far, but if he has some similar steel in him, it could carry him through. We just don't know.

SecretAgentMan
05-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Barring an injury. I don't think there is a chance they will retire him this year and probably not next year. These guys are having too much fun; the horse is doing well and there are races to be won after the Triple Crown.

If he wins the crown, there's no doubt in my mind they retire him.....why risk an injury where they may have to put him to death?

His stud fee will be expensive after he wins the crown (if he wins) & their dream is to ein the crown just like Coburn stated, he had s dream.

Dreams do come true & if they win it all, I'm pretty sure they retire him.

But there's always that outside chance these guys are crazy enough to keep running him, I definitely would not after winning the crown.

classhandicapper
05-04-2014, 02:21 PM
Unless there was a wind "against" in the stretch, Chrome did not finish well enough for me to think it's any kind of lock he's a 1 1/2 mile horse.

Relwob Owner
05-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I think he will win the Preakness and lose the Belmont

clocker7
05-04-2014, 02:26 PM
But there's always that outside chance these guys are crazy enough to keep running him, I definitely would not after winning the crown.
These guys are pretty old. There comes a point after which money importance recedes and having a crazy blast of a lifetime becomes a bigger deal. These guys are pretty grounded when it comes to priorities; the insurance payout in case of a disaster is probably good enough for them.

Jens
05-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I voted yes!! Obviously it's no slam dunk by any means. However, so far this year all of CC's races have looked like paid workouts (including the KD!!). Some seem to think he was tiring badly at the finish. Not much reason to push on a horse with two more big races coming up soon (hopefully) with the race already in the bag. The KD was a strong workout for CC and he didn't appear to be blowing all that bad when he returned to get his picture taken!! Just my personal observations fwiw.

Smarty Cide
05-04-2014, 02:42 PM
if he wins the triple crown and they plan to retire him i wanna see them get on this horse to run all the way to the wire. i totally get it but this horse gets eased before crossing the wire every race...

if u win the Preakness and plan to retire him after Belmont I say ride him like he's F***ing Secretariat

SecretAgentMan
05-04-2014, 02:47 PM
He won't be eased in the Belmont.......Espinoza will be on him unless he's up by 10 lengths.

Smarty Cide
05-04-2014, 02:48 PM
He won't be eased in the Belmont.......Espinoza will be on him unless he's up by 10 lengths.

even that is not good enough, if hes getting retired then let it all out in the belmont, no easing up. even if ur up 30 lengths

clocker7
05-04-2014, 02:53 PM
Just judging by how he has handled himself so conservatively during this stretch, I have faith in Sherman to do things right by this colt.

Forget about the TC. Right now, CC is my early fave to win the BC Classic. Home court, so to speak. Proven 10 furlonger. And better than any of the krap that ran last year, pardon my language.

andtheyreoff
05-04-2014, 08:13 PM
If he wins the crown, there's no doubt in my mind they retire him.....why risk an injury where they may have to put him to death?

His stud fee will be expensive after he wins the crown (if he wins) & their dream is to ein the crown just like Coburn stated, he had s dream.

Dreams do come true & if they win it all, I'm pretty sure they retire him.

Brililant logic. By this thinking, every horse who wins a G1 should be retired automatically, lest the owners have to "put them to death".

if he wins the triple crown and they plan to retire him i wanna see them get on this horse to run all the way to the wire. i totally get it but this horse gets eased before crossing the wire every race...

if u win the Preakness and plan to retire him after Belmont I say ride him like he's F***ing Secretariat

I think Kent Desormeaux tried this idea with Real Quiet, and it didn't work out so well.

As to the question at hand- I would love to see it happen, but it won't.

Rex Phinney
05-04-2014, 08:44 PM
You only mention the triple crown after the 3rd Saturday in May not the 1st.

Remember that always!

One step at a time.

raybo
05-04-2014, 10:55 PM
You only mention the triple crown after the 3rd Saturday in May not the 1st.

Remember that always!

One step at a time.

That's why I never bet the futures or the lottery - LOL. Heck I didn't even bet the Derby due to all the possibles and the low odds on the winner.

Robert Fischer
05-04-2014, 11:05 PM
No.

However, I hope he does win the Triple Crown.
Would really be a big boost.

iceknight
05-05-2014, 03:19 PM
I respect CC's derby win and I hope he wins the preakness (easily) and then the Belmont..

but I don't think he can handle the Belmont and hold off a victory from a closer, while also handling the stalkers pace setters well. It just feels like it will be one of those Birdstone/Empire Maker type scenarios.

One race at a time right now!

The WindfallAngler
05-05-2014, 10:41 PM
Yes, this is the year.

BettinBilly
05-06-2014, 09:04 PM
I need to see Chrome run in the Preakness, then I'll vote.

Too early for me to even have an opinion yet. However, I'd love to see us have a Crown winner this year. And Chrome would be a wonderful story and a boost for our sport.

goatchaser
05-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Bred in California...of course i'm rooting for him and probably not betting on him again. I'll be happy just watching the race and hoping for the best.

Dark Horse
05-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Nope. CC is great, but a longshot takes the Belmont.

RaceBookJoe
05-07-2014, 05:18 PM
I voted no. Of the derby runners, I like Commanding Curve in the Belmont. Of horses who didn't run, I will throw in Bay of Plenty if he runs.

riskman
05-09-2014, 05:24 AM
It would bring a lot of exposure to racing if CC won the Preakness. I think he has good chance.
The Belmont is a different story. Fresh horses, longer distance, short time between races, all obstacles not in his favor. Personally, hope he does it.
It appears he has the talent, now prove it to us.

Smarty Cide
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
It would bring a lot of exposure to racing if CC won the Preakness. I think he has good chance.
The Belmont is a different story. Fresh horses, longer distance, short time between races, all obstacles not in his favor. Personally, hope he does it.
It appears he has the talent, now prove it to us.

agreed but something always goes wrong at belmont

onefast99
05-10-2014, 02:35 PM
agreed but something always goes wrong at belmont
Social Inclusion will be the one to keep CC from advancing any further towards a Triple Crown. Save your money!

clocker7
05-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Social Inclusion is a lightly raced colt that might turn out to be the second coming of Spectacular Bid for all we know. Or, that another race might be the bridge too far for CC. Also, CC might not like the surface, or become exhausted after all of the shipping.

But here is one caveat when it comes to betting the Preakness: I think that he is an honest horse, and people bet against honest horses at their peril.

It's not only that CC has performed well under trying circumstances so far, either, that makes me feel that way. I base it upon what the connections say, too. He likes crowds. He likes to engage other horses in training. Those are personality traits that likely may create real repercussions for colts who test him and those who want to make back their KD losses next Saturday.

tanner12oz
05-10-2014, 03:29 PM
Social Inclusion is a lightly raced colt that might turn out to be the second coming of Spectacular Bid for all we know. Or, that another race might be the bridge too far for CC. Also, CC might not like the surface, or become exhausted after all of the shipping.

But here is one caveat when it comes to betting the Preakness: I think that he is an honest horse, and people bet against honest horses at their peril.

It's not only that CC has performed well under trying circumstances so far, either, that makes me feel that way. I base it upon what the connections say, too. He likes crowds. He likes to engage other horses in training. Those are personality traits that likely may create real repercussions for colts who test him and those who want to make back their KD losses next Saturday.

couldn't not liking the surface be said for just about everyone in the race?

fmolf
05-11-2014, 07:44 AM
of course it could.I think a more logical reason he does not win is that he would be tired and a fresh horse knocks him off in either the belmont or preakness.

tanner12oz
05-11-2014, 02:06 PM
Espinoza needs to pay close attention the pace and fractions this week...on paper there is ALOT more speed then the derby..as a rooting interest I dont want to see cc get fried

turninforhome10
05-13-2014, 08:18 PM
Ok, if CC looses at Pimlico (bare with me), is there any reason for him to go to the Belmont. The Derby at Los Al will be expecting him I would have to think.

Smarty Cide
05-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Ok, if CC looses at Pimlico (bare with me), is there any reason for him to go to the Belmont. The Derby at Los Al will be expecting him I would have to think.

if he gets upset id skip belmont go home to the los al derby then prepare for the haskell