PDA

View Full Version : A closer look.....

taxicab
05-03-2014, 08:56 PM
Slow final time:
Judging by the way the flags were whipping around I would think a pretty strong headwind had alot to do with the slow final time.
Early speed types:
The horses that were in front or near CC early all finished up very tired.
Samraat deserves a ton of credit for laying close to CC and finishing up well.
Drop of a hat:
It's amazing that jockey Victor pushed a button and CC opened up as many lengths as desired......that's freaky stuff.
The final sixteenth:
This horse was not tiring,the race was over.
Time machine:
When CC won the Santa Anita Derby he went faster than Affirmed/Sunday Silence.......wrapped up.

chadk66
05-03-2014, 09:00 PM
that had to be one of the slowest first half mile's in Derby history. they were crawling.

ArlJim78
05-03-2014, 09:09 PM
I never believed that it would be a fast pace, although that is what everyone and their mother was predicting. true, a large number of these horses had forward running styles, but ALL of them were questionable to move forward at the distance. none of then had what you might call, "slip away from the field and steal it" type speed. so I gathered that all of them would run conservatively trying to carry themselves as far as possible.

taxicab
05-03-2014, 09:24 PM
that had to be one of the slowest first half mile's in Derby history. they were crawling.

2014 (California Chrome)- 23.0/47.1/111.4.
2011 (Animal Kingdom)- 23.1/48.3/113.2
2008 ( Big Brown)- 23.1/47.0/111.1

Like I said,the horses running with CC early were nowhere to be found at the wire.

dannyhill
05-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Judging by the races surrounding the Derby it has to come up a low number figure wise. Not to mention We Miss Artie lost by only 8.:confused:

rastajenk
05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
Actually, I thought he could have been the Commanding Curve kind of play. Eight lenghths, though...not bad.

taxicab
05-03-2014, 09:53 PM
1979 (Spectacular Bid)- 47.2/112.2/137.3
1980 (Genuine Risk)- 48.0/112.4/137.3
1984 (Swale)- 47.2/111.4/136.3
1988 (Winning Colors)- 46.4/112.2/137.3

Headwind today.

Mad Scientist
05-03-2014, 10:02 PM
Chrome ran his race. He sat right off the leaders and than Victor gave him his cue as they were entering the stretch and he opened up and put the field away and than Victor just let him gallop home without any urging.

He ran as fast as he needed to. What did you want Victor to do ??? Put this horse in a all out drive so his final time would look better to all his critics ???

They are thinking triple crown with this horse so why would they use him up when he already has the race won considering he know has the Preakness in 2 weeks and the Belmont three weeks after that ...

First it's he is a cal bred and than it's he has not beaten anybody and now it's his final time was slow. ...

The horse has just effortlessly demolished every horse he has faced the last 5 races and there are people still trying to knock him.

I guarantee you that even if this horse wins the triple crown that it still won't be good enough for a lot of people ....

Smarty Cide
05-03-2014, 10:07 PM
Chrome ran his race. He sat right off the leaders and than Victor gave him his cue as they were entering the stretch and he opened up and put the field away and than Victor just let him gallop home without any urging.

He ran as fast as he needed to. What did you want Victor to do ??? Put this horse in a all out drive so his final time would look better to all his critics ???

They are thinking triple crown with this horse so why would they use him up when he already has the race won considering he know has the Preakness in 2 weeks and the Belmont three weeks after that ...

First it's he is a cal bred and than it's he has not beaten anybody and now it's his final time was slow. ...

The horse has just effortlessly demolished every horse he has faced the last 5 races and there are people still trying to knock him.

I guarantee you that even if this horse wins the triple crown that it still won't be good enough for a lot of people ....

AMEN

depalma113
05-03-2014, 10:27 PM

Some can't see greatness when they are staring it in the face.

SecretAgentMan
05-03-2014, 10:28 PM

A lot of his haters are pedigree followers & the fact he was a cheap buy. I'm loving that people spend millions trying to win the derby & along comes blue collar people/workers & have their dreams come true.

Some things money can't buy........

ArlJim78
05-03-2014, 10:32 PM
A lot of his haters are pedigree followers & the fact he was a cheap buy. I'm loving that people spend millions trying to win the derby & along comes blue collar people/workers & have their dreams come true.

Some things money can't buy........
apart from the wagering and racing, I love this part of it. a blue collar nobody takes on all of the regally bred 3 and 4 hundred thousand dollar yearlings and leaves them in his wake. I'm a sucker for an underdog story like this.
although I have to admit I don't much care for the owners.

breezing
05-03-2014, 10:35 PM
i think dale romans said it best:

I do want to say one thing on the record. I didn’t think that California Chrome had any chance going into this race and I was very, very
wrong. Whether the crop’s a good crop or not, that’s a special horse. I was wrong. I was a very big skeptic; I threw him out of all
my tickets in every spot. I didn’t think he fit the profile to win the Derby. I’m very impressed the way he came into it, the way he
looked, the way he was prepared and the way he ran. Now he has a new fan.”

http://admin.kentuckyderby.com/sites/kentuckyderby.com/files/u64720/20140503%20Kentucky%20Derby%20Trainer%20Quotes.pdf

i like california chrome because i've had the pleasure of watching him run and workout here in California. he is one of those horses that, while not the most physically impressive, just loves to run and makes it look easy. he's also one of those horses that seems to enjoy the spotlight and attention. he's also a little bit of a ham.

Fager Fan
05-03-2014, 10:38 PM

You're going overboard.

I'm ecstatic by the win, and it doesn't bother me that people are discussing the facts regarding this race. They are what they are, and that's what handicapping and this sport are about.

None of it means he isn't an exceptional horse and won't keep showing it. Relax. He's the real deal.

holmmd
05-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I tried to beat him. I lost. He's a freak. Good on him. He earned it.

SecretAgentMan
05-03-2014, 10:42 PM
apart from the wagering and racing, I love this part of it. a blue collar nobody takes on all of the regally bred 3 and 4 hundred thousand dollar yearlings and leaves them in his wake. I'm a sucker for an underdog story like this.
although I have to admit I don't much care for the owners.

One of the owners, Coburn is someone that gets caught up i n the moment & tends to get cocky a bit. I don't think he does it on purpose, I really believe his excitement of his horse has him talking before thinking.

Most of the blue collar people in this sitiation wouldn't know how to handle the prestige/excitement/money/etc......that comes with what's going on with them & their horse. Its unbelievable story & will probably be made into a movie.

I'm happy for everyone involved & especially for the trainer. To win the derby with Swaps as an excersise rider & then train the derby winner over 50 years later is an amazing story in itself.

What we are seeing is like 3 or 4 story's intertwined & coming together that will make this movie a good one.

On to the Preakness.......

ArlJim78
05-03-2014, 10:48 PM
One of the owners, Coburn is someone that gets caught up i n the moment & tends to get cocky a bit. I don't think he does it on purpose, I really believe his excitement of his horse has him talking before thinking.

Most of the blue collar people in this sitiation wouldn't know how to handle the prestige/excitement/money/etc......that comes with what's going on with them & their horse. Its unbelievable story & will probably be made into a movie.

I'm happy for everyone involved & especially for the trainer. To win the derby with Swaps as an excersise rider & then train the derby winner over 50 years later is an amazing story in itself.

What we are seeing is like 3 or 4 story's intertwined & coming together that will make this movie a good one.

On to the Preakness.......
no doubt. Think about what a monumental day this must have been for Art Sherman a guy grinding away for decades, suddenly catches lightening in a bottle. yes it could make a good movie from many angles.
it' so improbable what happened to them

ArlJim78
05-03-2014, 10:50 PM
as far as the owners, I guess you have to respect the humility of them naming their stable "dumb ass partners" :lol:

MNslappy
05-03-2014, 11:01 PM
haters

Motion to autofilter this word via the VBulletin admin panel.

:bang:

jettroofer
05-03-2014, 11:21 PM
I hit the Super and the tri for a nice score on the race. Admittedly, I had chrome 'thrown in' all three (and four) holes as insurance. I had no doubt he was the one to beat, I was just heavier on Candy Boy and Intense Holiday at the price. I'd rather be lucky than good. My best cash. Looking back, I would have had way less at play had I singled him. lol

ArlJim78
05-03-2014, 11:32 PM
I hit the Super and the tri for a nice score on the race. Admittedly, I had chrome 'thrown in' all three (and four) holes as insurance. I had no doubt he was the one to beat, I was just heavier on Candy Boy and Intense Holiday at the price. I'd rather be lucky than good. My best cash. Looking back, I would have had way less at play had I singled him. lol
nice one.

SecretAgentMan
05-03-2014, 11:36 PM
as far as the owners, I guess you have to respect the humility of them naming their stable "dumb ass partners" :lol:

LoL.....I love that they named it like that & have a Donkey as their logo.......

Edward DeVere
05-03-2014, 11:45 PM
Headwind today.

And they ran into that headwind TWICE, the second time dog-tired.

(Well, dog-tired except for CC and CC.)

Tall One
05-03-2014, 11:52 PM
I tried to beat him. I lost. He's a freak. Good on him. He earned it.

I think this sums it up best..

Jim, awesome score today. Congrats, bud... :ThmbUp:

jettroofer
05-03-2014, 11:56 PM
nice one.
Thanks, Jim. Just read about your score on another thread. Kudos to you. My super ticket was $199 so I can't brag too much when I had the ambulance and the tractors in there. Lol. You weren't the guy in front of me carrying out those straps at the IRS window at Lone Star clubhouse level today, where you?

ArlJim78
05-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Thanks, Jim. Just read about your score on another thread. Kudos to you. My super ticket was $199 so I can't brag too much when I had the ambulance and the tractors in there. Lol. You weren't the guy in front of me carrying out those straps at the IRS window at Lone Star clubhouse level today, where you?
yes you can brag because to hit it on such a small wager is a huge feat.
no i'm up around arlington way, so that wasn't me at LS.

jettroofer
05-04-2014, 12:04 AM
:ThmbUp: yes you can brag because to hit it on such a small wager is a huge feat.
no i'm up around arlington way, so that wasn't me at LS.

PaceAdvantage
05-04-2014, 12:59 AM

I guarantee you that even if this horse wins the triple crown that it still won't be good enough for a lot of people ....How long have you been a fan of this game? And if not long, have you ever looked back on its history?

Secretariat had doubters (I guess today they would be called HATERS). Seattle Slew had tons of doubters who thought he was beating nothing. Nobody thought Holy Bull could get 10 furlongs...the list goes on and on of great horses who continued to have their doubters as they were proving their greatness.

That's how you earn respect. That's how you become a great horse. You silence all the doubters.

I still have my doubts about CC. I wish I didn't, but I still do...