PDA

View Full Version : That elusive place-horse...

thaskalos
05-03-2014, 07:18 PM
I have an idea for a new handicapping book. "How to come up with the place-horse in the Derby".

It has the makings of a best-seller...IMO.

dannyhill
05-03-2014, 07:36 PM
I have an idea for a new handicapping book. "How to come up with the place-horse in the Derby".

Can't wait till a poster whose name begin with a T responds.

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2014, 07:37 PM
I had the place horse underneath in my exactas...I posted him before the race as a horse I was using underneath...I just didn't have CC on top... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Robert Fischer
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
based on prior runnings, I tried some patterns:
Speed
Speed
Closer

and

Closer
Speed
Closer

also
S
S
S

and
C
C
C

- didn't have the closers 2nd (SCC), and didn't invest that deep, to catch a horse like Commanding Curve, regardless of running-style groupings.

The Derby is hard. If you do try to make coverage plays, you have to spread a lot compared to the 6 horse fields we often see.

I took some narrow shots at horses that appeared to be overlays. No such luck.

bugboy
05-03-2014, 07:53 PM
congrats coach, you had the second and first , nice ex.

good going

Greyfox
05-03-2014, 07:55 PM

Take the board underneath your key and hope for a boomer.

Tom
05-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Can't wait till a poster whose name begin with a T responds.

T?

Take the lowest Beyer number and use if for the place horse.

BMustang
05-03-2014, 08:30 PM
I had the place horse underneath in my exactas...I posted him before the race as a horse I was using underneath...I just didn't have CC on top... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Same here, for the second year in a row, come up with the big price in second but fail to use the winner. Used Samraat, Wicked Strong, Dance with Fate and Wildcat Red on top. Even had Danzig third.

Tough game!

davew
05-03-2014, 09:26 PM

is it ALL?

MNslappy
05-03-2014, 09:44 PM

Me too, thanks to Timeform touting him and me taking another hard look at him last night.

That's two freakin years in a row I had the bomb in second and didnt have the winner in my exacta AND didn't bet the bomb to WPS.

If I took the money I spent on exactas and trifectas the last two years and just bet Commanding Curve and Golden Soul to Place I would've been way better off.

Valuist
05-04-2014, 03:35 PM
Both horses trained by Dallas Stewart, both deep closers and both prepped at the Fair Grounds.

Dark Horse
05-06-2014, 03:03 PM
Right.

I'm getting this Jamaican sprinters vibe. Too much to request out-of-competition testing for this trainer's horses pointing at KY Derby? Don't be surprised if Commanding Curve fizzles out like Golden Soul, who never ran better than 5th after placing in the Derby.

goatchaser
05-06-2014, 03:09 PM
I guess I'm wasting my time researching next out after being Crapped on in a race.

Little Watermelon
05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Right.

I'm getting this Jamaican sprinters vibe. Too much to request out-of-competition testing for this trainer's horses pointing at KY Derby? Don't be surprised if Commanding Curve fizzles out like Golden Soul, who never ran better than 5th after placing in the Derby.

Now wait a second there. Golden Soul was running on a wet track, which may have suited him. This was Commanding Curve's third race of his 3-year-old campaign, had increasing Beyers in his first two races from his 2 year old Beyers, and closed on a fast track with slow early fractions (for the Derby). He may end up with Golden Soul's record, but he looks to me like a different horse entirely.

Robert Fischer
05-07-2014, 06:14 PM
Golden Soul was 2nd because he had the same pace scenario as Orb (make 1 run vs tremendous earlypace / Palace Malice etc...) , and he saved 80! more feet of ground (8-10 lengths!) than Orb.

It's what you call a dream trip.

It's still cool that a "working class" trainer put some horsemanship into the horse, managed to get him in, and ran 2nd to boot, but there is no reason to look for anything nefarious.

A bunch of horses could have ran that well with that same trip.

dansan
05-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Tvg gave u the place horse lol