PDA

View Full Version : Hellmers is friggin' nuts...

PhantomOnTour
05-03-2014, 01:18 PM
but he sure can pick some winners.
Interview just now on NBC was waaaaaaaaay out there :lol:

Shelby
05-03-2014, 02:04 PM
LOL I cracked up the whole time. I'd love to have a beer with him! Oh, and he had my favorite sunglasses with him ;)

kingfin66
05-03-2014, 02:41 PM
He isn't very articulate when he goes off on his mystical tangents. That leads to believe it is a put on. If he were really knowledgeable about it, he would quickly get into his element when discussing it even with a camera and microphone in his face. As it was, he came of as Nuke Laloosh. Definitely a great handicapper. As for the wardrobe, it speaks for itself.

SandyW
05-03-2014, 03:39 PM
That was a statement jacket he was wearing.

Shelby
05-03-2014, 04:17 PM
And that's a statement hat that Johnny Weir is wearing……...

kingfin66
05-03-2014, 04:19 PM
Maybe they can get together and make a really big statement. What is the statement they are trying to make? Actually, never mind, I am afraid to know.

Tom
05-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Does Conte have a statement magnifying glass today?

Stillriledup
05-03-2014, 05:50 PM
Does Conte have a statement magnifying glass today?

:D

That's harsh, but i had to laugh.

comet52
05-03-2014, 06:26 PM

His lipstick is a bit too far into the pink spectrum for my taste.

classhandicapper
05-04-2014, 11:30 AM

Why do they use people that know nothing about horse racing in any of the commentary or lighter pieces?

It doesn't all have to be serious handicapping or serious stories about the owners, trainers and riders. Interviewing and using celebrities is probably good marketing. But even for the lighter stuff they should use people that know the game a little or major celebrities with an interest in the game. That piece was a woeful waste of time.

Shelby
05-04-2014, 11:32 AM
His lipstick is a bit too far into the pink spectrum for my taste.
:D He sure wears way more makeup than I do.

Shelby
05-04-2014, 11:33 AM
Why do they use people that know nothing about horse racing in any of the commentary or lighter pieces?

It doesn't all have to be serious handicapping or serious stories about the owners, trainers and riders. Interviewing and using celebrities is probably good marketing. But even for the lighter stuff they should use people that know the game a little or major celebrities with an interest in the game. That piece was a woeful waste of time.

While I understand NBC wanting to target different audiences, I agree that they should have used different people. Or maybe just one fashion type segment using Tara and Johnny. I would have loved to have Bobby Flay doing some commentary.

DJofSD
05-04-2014, 11:34 AM
NBC believes in the theory of flies: eat sh*t, 10,000,000 flies can't be wrong.

classhandicapper
05-04-2014, 11:37 AM
While I understand NBC wanting to target different audiences, I agree that they should have used different people. Or maybe just one fashion type segment using Tara and Johnny. I would have loved to have Bobby Flay doing some commentary.

Right. Flay is a celebrity that a lot of people outside of racing know, but he has a major interest in the sport. There has to be others that we don't even know about.

DJofSD
05-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Yep, Bobby's already got a BC win under his belt.

BettinBilly
05-04-2014, 02:18 PM
I have a lot of respect for Christian Helmers. I don't know if his "uniqueness" is part acting or not, but whatever the case, it's a "unique" brand he is building and I respect that. I think it was on "Horseplayers" that Christian said something like, "Most people would not think I'm Normal". He is aware that his mannerisms and lifestyle are a bit different, but so what? It's America. As my French friends would say, "C'est la vie! Viva la differance mon ami, bien sur!"

Christian and I follow each other on Twitter and he and I share some common interests and lifestyles. We both like running and working out, we are both Horseplayers, and we both like the ladies. I'm a partial Vegan like Christian, but unlike him, I cheat and eat Fish on occasion. Not often, but I do. I'm more of a mix of Pescetarian and Vegan. Although, you won't see me at the Track walking around with a suit, tail, headband, and drinking Algae, I do try and eat and live a healthy lifestyle. That part of Christian I really admire.

Then comes his professional Horseplayer prowess. The man is good. I don't think anyone would deny that. I've been at this game for a while, and the one thing I know is that if you have Achieved Mr. Helmer's level of success, your peers should at the very least respect that accomplishment, since, it is certainly not easy. There is some luck involved, to be sure. However, Christian has proven that he's a Pro at this game, to me at least. I respect that, and I respect him.

I do hope that "Horseplayers" returns for another season. Good entertainment for some of us.