PDA

View Full Version : AC and Omar back - strangely - with Masochistic at CD

bks
05-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Sop why have SoCal pairing AC Avila and Omar Berrio showed up on Derby Day with a maiden about whom they were investigated in March?

http://www.drf.com/news/purse-redistributed-after-masochistic-tests-positive-sedative

Before finding the article I wanted to play the horse, since it's odd for them to show up there. Now, I think I want to play him more, but anyone with more info about this?

Mineshaft
05-03-2014, 11:03 AM
sounds like the horse has some physical problems.

bks
05-03-2014, 11:12 AM
Indeed. He opened at 3-2. If he stays there, it solves the problem.

bks
05-03-2014, 11:17 AM
Doubles say he'll stay there or go lower. Wow.

Will pay w/ 1: 11.40.

Next lowest double: $36

Midnight Cruiser
05-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Sop why have SoCal pairing AC Avila and Omar Berrio showed up on Derby Day with a maiden about whom they were investigated in March?

http://www.drf.com/news/purse-redistributed-after-masochistic-tests-positive-sedative

Before finding the article I wanted to play the horse, since it's odd for them to show up there. Now, I think I want to play him more, but anyone with more info about this?

Thanks for the heads up BKS. It's nice to start the day with a weener!!

bks
05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Shocking result.

AC and Omar losing their touch a bit. Wasn't too obvious or anything.

Midnight Cruiser
05-03-2014, 11:37 AM
sounds like the horse has some physical problems.

May have shakin the physical probs, no?

bks
05-03-2014, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the heads up BKS. It's nice to start the day with a weener!!

Easiest kind too. My pleasure.

Valuist
05-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Check out the video of his last race. This is a textbook example of a rider showing zero interest in winning a race. I thought Berrio was going to fall asleep at some point. Interesting he was DQ'd from 5th place purse money. Maybe the stewards thought the connections cheated the public.

http://www.santaanita.com/interactive/trakus

March 15, race 9, program number 7

bks
05-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Was Victor Espinoza up not Omar Berrio, ftr. My mistake.

TheEdge07
05-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Hows he not in jail?

PaceAdvantage
05-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Threads merged.

Stillriledup
05-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Check out the video of his last race. This is a textbook example of a rider showing zero interest in winning a race. I thought Berrio was going to fall asleep at some point. Interesting he was DQ'd from 5th place purse money. Maybe the stewards thought the connections cheated the public.

http://www.santaanita.com/interactive/trakus

March 15, race 9, program number 7

This happens all the time, jocks "mail in" rides when the horse is either off a long layoff or a firster.

Nothing to see here.

Stillriledup
05-03-2014, 03:27 PM
Hows he not in jail?

:D
"Racing" doesnt believe in real life laws, so, you can sorta do whatever you want.

Valuist
05-03-2014, 10:50 PM
This happens all the time, jocks "mail in" rides when the horse is either off a long layoff or a firster.

Nothing to see here.

This was blatant. There was plenty to see. This was a horse who showed today he could smoke the opening quarter in :21 flat. Berrio should've been suspended.

Striker
05-04-2014, 12:38 AM
This was blatant. There was plenty to see. This was a horse who showed today he could smoke the opening quarter in :21 flat. Berrio should've been suspended.
It seems you are one of the only ones in this thread who can see this for what this really was. Horse tests positive for a sedative, why would they give the horse a sedative and how much did they give him? Then Avila ships a Cal bred to Churchill on Derby day, why do that? Purse money is a little higher in CA for Cal breds in comparison to open Msw at CD. Let's just take a guess and say that the wagering pools are a bit higher at Churchill today then they are on a typical day at Santa Anita, and the horse is crushed in almost every single pool available. Top that off with a 21 flat opening 1/4 mile. My favorite part of this story is that Avila says in the article that Berrio was to preserve the horse to the stretch before asking for any effort.

Fingal
05-04-2014, 01:19 AM
Shocking result.

AC and Omar losing their touch a bit. Wasn't too obvious or anything.

AC sends the horse 3,000 miles to break his maiden giving up the extra 17.5K he would get as an incentive for breaking the maiden in California ? And it only pays $ 6.20 ? This isn't the modus operandi for the AC we know out here in California, it must have been so he could get that trainer's table for the Kentucky Derby.

But it was the surest winner on the whole Derby card.

Stillriledup
05-04-2014, 02:33 AM

So if you believe this to be true, why are you putting it on a message board, you do understand how the pari mutuel system works, right? You're sniffing a horse who was "hiding" and posting that info? Does the horse's win price get higher if you tell the world he's "better than looked"?

PhantomOnTour
05-04-2014, 03:39 AM
The horse is owned by Los Pollos Hermanos

bks
05-04-2014, 08:25 AM
AC sends the horse 3,000 miles to break his maiden giving up the extra 17.5K he would get as an incentive for breaking the maiden in California ? And it only pays $ 6.20 ? This isn't the modus operandi for the AC we know out here in California, it must have been so he could get that trainer's table for the Kentucky Derby.

But it was the surest winner on the whole Derby card.

I'm certainly not saying I have the scam figured out. It's true: a Cal-Bred MSW carries a nice bonus, and there' also the cost of shipping across the country as well as bringing a throng to CD on its most pricey day.

But something was afoot, Fingal. They could have gotten to the trainer's table on Derby Day just as easily in a NW1X, couldn't they?

The Mutuel pool total for yesterdays' race 3 at CD was above 2.2M in all pools, not counting multi-race pools. During the debut race at SA, I'll guess the total pools were less than 35% of that. Given the obscurity of the connections (not to you and me, but in context), the horse went off at odds much lower than was warranted. So plenty of people were in the know about what to do. One could make up the money lost (and more) with a well-placed $25K in the pools.

It's strange, is all. I don't want to make this purely about AC, who I've cashed lots of tickets on and don't know from Adam. IIRC, in 2006, his horse won the first race of the meet at DelMar (claiming race), point being he may have a history of caring a bit about ceremony and being in the center of events. But how often does a trainer ship a maiden horse across the country to a tougher spot (open maidens vs Cal-breds) for far less purse money?

Potential answers:
--Did he or the owners want a big stage to get the horse sold?
--Was the CA investigation the reason he didn't run in CA again?
--Did he or his group put a big value on being winners on Derby Day?
--Did he want to give Victor a mount early in the day to see how the track was playing?

Some or none could be in play. But let's admit it was strange.

bks
05-04-2014, 08:36 AM
So I watched the replay again. The horse looked like it might pull Berrio out of the saddle on the turn, and he did everything he could to reign him. It's very hard to conclude that it wasn't a blatant stiff job, in fact one of the worst I've ever seen at a big track.

Tom
05-04-2014, 09:23 AM
For all of that, he had the best last out Beyer and the second best Beyer of the lines in the race. I they had let run run that day, he might have been in the 11th race yesterday.

Valuist
05-04-2014, 09:47 AM
So if you believe this to be true, why are you putting it on a message board, you do understand how the pari mutuel system works, right? You're sniffing a horse who was "hiding" and posting that info? Does the horse's win price get higher if you tell the world he's "better than looked"?

I posted right after the race. Nobody could've wagered on what I posted before the race went off.

He was only 2-1, but he probably should've been 4-5ish had the public been aware of the stiff job first time out. There were no other world beaters in there.

Valuist
05-04-2014, 09:49 AM
The horse is owned by Los Pollos Hermanos

And we know what happened to Gus.....

bks
05-04-2014, 10:23 AM
And we know what happened to Gus.....

Can you expand on this please?

johnhannibalsmith
05-04-2014, 10:44 AM
Can you expand on this please?

http://static3.businessinsider.com/image/5242086c6bb3f73f308b4569/5-breaking-bad-filming-locations-you-can-actually-visit.jpg

bks
05-04-2014, 12:58 PM
Those are some beautiful chickens (I guess)

PhantomOnTour
05-04-2014, 01:04 PM
Those are some beautiful chickens (I guess)
Los Pollos Hermanos was the name of the chicken shack in Breaking Bad...it was a front for a major drug operation, and Gus (the guy pictured) was the boss.

Pollos !!

Stillriledup
05-04-2014, 11:22 PM
I posted right after the race. Nobody could've wagered on what I posted before the race went off.

He was only 2-1, but he probably should've been 4-5ish had the public been aware of the stiff job first time out. There were no other world beaters in there.

But they know for next time. And they know to keep an extra eye on Avila and Berrio for the next horse who gets the mail in ride.
;)

goatchaser
05-05-2014, 08:00 PM
About 10 years ago..same Combo Avila and Berrio. I bet the horse they had. MDN race. Berrio breaks on top for about 200 yards. Drops back steadily. Looks to me he's pulling on the horse. Turning for home last. Let's him go makes up about 5 lengths. Never uses the whip. I say to myself...Man..That sure looked like a stiff job. So I waited to see if he dropped him next time out.. He didn't...so I send out 10 win on him just for the F of it. I had to work that day. I get a call from my buddy later on and he says..DAMN IT!!! He gets beat 2 noses at 99-1. Took the lead all the way to the finish line where he got beat. Next time Out working again my friend calls and says he's running tomorrow..want anything? I say Hell no. I took my shot. Won by 3 and paid 22.00. II wasn't even pissed off. Just kind of laughed. but My friend made a few bucks. Oh and after that he won and paid 8 bucks.

Shelby
05-08-2014, 12:01 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/california-stewards-investigate-race-ride-barn-of-churchill-maiden-winner/

GaryG
05-08-2014, 12:22 PM
Berrio has had a rough time since returning from a stroke. I was surprised that A C stuck with him as long as he did. There have been a few recently that he switched riders on, I think to Espinoza. AC and Berrio have a long history together and I enjoyed this one.

theiman
05-08-2014, 01:19 PM
If any of you use Cal Racing for video replays look up this horses name.
Tornado Allie

Watch the pan and the head on of this horses first two lifetime races, in Jan 2012 and in April 2012, both at Santa Anita. The first race was with Chantal up, the second with Omar Berrio.
First race lost by about 50 lengths, with a typical AC Avila no try effort.

Second race looks like head held out of gate and during head on down the backstretch it looks like Berrio is holding horse behind others and Berrio at times looks tilted to the inside. In the stretch did the horse bolt or drift out, or did Berrio make the line look worse?

I believe horses first two starts the total lengths in the losing efforts were over 60 lengths.

Then go to his third start, in June 2012 at HP. Amazing change in form.
$$$$$$$$
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now a true story. About 10 years ago I am in the paddock with a friend who has a horse entered in a claiming race. Race goes from 8 horses to 5 after late scratches. My friends trainer, asks AC Avila, who also has a horse in the same race, if he likes his horse today. He looks up at the board and the horse was 7/2. He says to my friends trainer, which I can hear, I aint taking no F'kn 7/2, I wait for another time.

Cholly
05-08-2014, 02:04 PM
Paulick has a great closing line in his write-up:

"I do know that sometimes you have to be a Masochist to play this game."

bks
05-09-2014, 06:09 AM
I knew Berrio had retired a couple of times, but he's 60 YEARS OLD?

Valuist
05-09-2014, 10:12 AM
But they know for next time. And they know to keep an extra eye on Avila and Berrio for the next horse who gets the mail in ride.
;)

Guys like that won't do it every time. The heat is on now. They will lay low until this is forgotten. Then its back to business.

I had forgotten Berrio had a stroke a while back. In my initial post I said in watching the replay I thought he had fallen asleep. Maybe he was having stroke symptoms.

cj
05-09-2014, 10:18 AM
These guys should be punished severely. It is exactly these kinds of shenanigans that will keep horse racing from being thought of in a good light.

ronsmac
05-09-2014, 11:39 AM
These guys should be punished severely. It is exactly these kinds of shenanigans that will keep horse racing from being thought of in a good light.
I agree 100%. Unfortunately I don't think horse racing will ever be looked at in a good light and it may never have been at least in my lifetime.

Stillriledup
05-09-2014, 04:16 PM

I think horse racing will be thought of in the exact light that people already think of it. Hard core racing fans like you and me aren't going to change our perception of the "light" of horse racing and people who don't know the game, don't watch enough replays (or know HOW to watch them) so they arent even going to notice jocks not giving full effort.

I think maybe the Avila and Berrio reputations are coming into play here, but where do we draw the line on "lack of effort".

Not every trainer or jock is snow white, but are we only going to punish Berrio/Avila?

I agree that these guys need to get the book thrown at them, but if this is the standard you want to set, where do you stop? Are these guys going to be made an example of and everyone else gets to do whatever they want?

davew
05-10-2014, 12:10 AM

It has been like this for years, a certian percentage of horses running for preparation of a race in the future.

theiman
07-28-2014, 10:59 PM
Masochistic
Back in on Thursday at DM

1st Race - Del Mar - Thursday, July 31st, 2014
ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING. 6 1/2 Furlongs Synthetic. Purse $77,000. FOR CALIFORNIA BRED OR CALIFORNIA SIRED THREE YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $10,000 ONCE OTHER THAN MAIDEN, CLAIMING, OR STARTER OR CLAIMING PRICE $20,000. Three Year Olds, 120 lbs.; Older, 124 lbs. Non-winners Of A Race Other Than Claiming Allowed 2 lbs. Claiming Price $20,000. (02:00 PM) (7)

PP Horse A/S M/E Wgt Jockey Trainer
1 Just Call Me Al 4 R L 124 Perez F Harrington Mike
2 Passing Game 5 G L 124 Pedroza Martin A. Sherlock Gary
3 Mythical Storm 3 C L 120 Bejarano Rafael Mandella Gary
4 Courtside 6 G L 124 Arias Saul Curtis Michael A.
5 Smogcutter 3 C L 120 Trujillo Elvis Blacker Dan
6 Masochistic 4 G L 124 Espinoza Victor Avila A. C.
7 Relentless Heat 7 G L 124 Talamo Joseph Eurton Peter

Tall One
07-29-2014, 08:16 AM
^3F move on the 23rd...34.2 H/G.

theiman
07-30-2014, 04:41 PM
Owners of Smogcutter are protesting Masochistics entry in Thursday CB Allowance race at DM

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/30/horse-racing-del-mar-protest/

DEL MAR — Two owners of Smogcutter, a 3-year-old colt, are protesting the entry of Masochistic in Thursday’s first race at Del Mar because they allege the trainer cheated the betting public by drugging the horse in May 15 race at Santa Anita and has yet to be penalized for it.

After finishing fifth in a six-furlong race with jockey Omar Berrio aboard at Santa Anita, the gelded son of Sought After tested positive for the tranquilizer, Acepromazine at nearly 40 times the allowable limit. In his next race, Masochistic won by 14 lengths on the Kentucky Derby undercard at Churchill Downs, going off as the 2-1 favorite under jockey Victor Espinaza. He is trained by A.C. Avila and owned by Los Pollos Hermanos Racing.

Both Smogcutter and Masochistic are entered in the first race at Del Mar on Thursday, but Smogcutter won’t run as a protest, the owners say.

see link above for balance of article

Stillriledup
07-30-2014, 04:57 PM
Owners of Smogcutter are protesting Masochistics entry in Thursday CB Allowance race at DM

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jul/30/horse-racing-del-mar-protest/

DEL MAR — Two owners of Smogcutter, a 3-year-old colt, are protesting the entry of Masochistic in Thursday’s first race at Del Mar because they allege the trainer cheated the betting public by drugging the horse in May 15 race at Santa Anita and has yet to be penalized for it.

After finishing fifth in a six-furlong race with jockey Omar Berrio aboard at Santa Anita, the gelded son of Sought After tested positive for the tranquilizer, Acepromazine at nearly 40 times the allowable limit. In his next race, Masochistic won by 14 lengths on the Kentucky Derby undercard at Churchill Downs, going off as the 2-1 favorite under jockey Victor Espinaza. He is trained by A.C. Avila and owned by Los Pollos Hermanos Racing.

Both Smogcutter and Masochistic are entered in the first race at Del Mar on Thursday, but Smogcutter won’t run as a protest, the owners say.

see link above for balance of article

Doesn't it say that Maso was DQd from purse money in his first lifetime start?

taxicab
07-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Doesn't it say that Maso was DQd from purse money in his first lifetime start?
What's your point ?

Stillriledup
07-30-2014, 05:59 PM
What's your point ?

The punishment is the loss of purse. What other punishment would there be for the trainer?

cj
07-30-2014, 06:01 PM
The punishment is the loss of purse. What other punishment would there be for the trainer?

Ummm, gee, I don't know, how about a suspension?

taxicab
07-30-2014, 06:28 PM
I would say your response is "Pretzel Logic",but the truth of the matter is I think you like the attention playing the contrarian card.

Stillriledup
07-30-2014, 06:31 PM
Ummm, gee, I don't know, how about a suspension?

So, how does a suspension for AC Avila prevent these owners from having to run against this horse? Last i checked, owners didnt get suspended for drug positives.....but these boycotters are essentially suggesting to punish the owner and scratch the horse...which is a suspension against an owner.

pele polo
07-30-2014, 07:34 PM
Why is it owners are presumed so innocent all of the time? A lot of owners are not absentee millionaires or fifty member neophyte syndicates.

The owner probably played as much as role in this incident as did Avila and Berrio.

Track Phantom
07-30-2014, 08:00 PM
I don't understand the delay or issue by CHRB. If it is proven the horse had a tranquiler in order to sedate the horse and not run to the best of its abilities, why on earth would this trainer not be banned for life? Why would he still be allowed to train? I really don't understand what the issue is.

Sedating a horse, reentering it back on Derby day for a purse less than he would have received by not shipping, hammered down in the betting and winning by 14 lengths? Is there a clearer sign of cheating out there? I don't recall one.

Why are the Feds not involved? It is parimutuel defrauding....a felony.

Stillriledup
07-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Why is it owners are presumed so innocent all of the time? A lot of owners are not absentee millionaires or fifty member neophyte syndicates.

The owner probably played as much as role in this incident as did Avila and Berrio.

Its not presumed, but the racing rules say that owners and horses don't get punished for drug overages by trainers.

Lets see if this "boycott" brings light to the issue and they revisit it.

I remember reading in the CHRB notes on their website that this situation was "under investigation" but, if its similar to the "investigation' that the TRPB was doing into the incident of past posting last year, we might be waiting a LONG time for anything gets resolved.

tanner12oz
07-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Hows that life at ten investigation going?

Rise Over Run
07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
So, how does a suspension for AC Avila prevent these owners from having to run against this horse? Last i checked, owners didnt get suspended for drug positives.....but these boycotters are essentially suggesting to punish the owner and scratch the horse...which is a suspension against an owner.
Maybe because they "Stand for Something", and all you really want to do is see yourself post on Paceadvantage?

Stillriledup
07-30-2014, 10:44 PM
Maybe because they "Stand for Something", and all you really want to do is see yourself post on Paceadvantage?

Geez.

The reason they're complaining is because they know that their horse will get his head bashed in by this monster and they want to try and get him out of the race.

Track Phantom
07-31-2014, 09:49 AM
The worst thing about this despicable act is the fact that these connections have what could turn out to be a super horse. The horse looks like he is freakishly fast. If you have a horse this good, how about focusing on turning him into a G1 winner instead of stealing a few bucks from the betting public?

I know there have always been scum associated with the game of horse racing but it seems to me that the ratio between class and the low rent district is starting to widen.

netbet
07-31-2014, 11:25 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/85046/bonnie-wants-investigation-of-derby-day-race

cutchemist42
07-31-2014, 03:09 PM
Is this coming up again because he's racing agin today? (Dmr1) How should we feel about this horse running again?

bks
07-31-2014, 03:22 PM
Smogcutter still not scratched, according to my ADW. Wonder if the owners had a "change of heart," or are simply waiting to scratch closer to post time?

bks
07-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Is this coming up again because he's racing agin today? (Dmr1) How should we feel about this horse running again?

We should feel like he's going to jog for fun, if the race (and his recent works over DMR) are on the level.

Stillriledup
07-31-2014, 03:45 PM
We should feel like he's going to jog for fun, if the race (and his recent works over DMR) are on the level.

Looks TOO easy. While he's working fast over that surface, two things are important to consider. 1) the surface is different than what he worked on, they added wax or material the other day and 2) he could still be working fast but not really a true Poly horse, so when he gets into this race, if one of the others just loves today's track, he can be beat.

I do think that his stride and action should be fine for this surface, but you need a lot going for you if you're going to take 3-5.

Stillriledup
07-31-2014, 03:59 PM
Smogcutter still not scratched, according to my ADW. Wonder if the owners had a "change of heart," or are simply waiting to scratch closer to post time?

Smogcutter appears to be scratched.

SandyLoam
07-31-2014, 04:18 PM
I looked at 3 p.m. Central. Smogcutter scratched.

bks
07-31-2014, 05:09 PM
As still as he sat on the :6: that race, Victor looked liked the one with cobra venom in him :)

Stillriledup
07-31-2014, 05:11 PM
As still as he sat on the :6: that race, Victor looked liked the one with cobra venom in him :)

That was unbelievable.

horses4courses
07-31-2014, 05:12 PM
They've got themselves a stakes horse - if he stays healthy.

Stillriledup
07-31-2014, 05:14 PM
These people are so stupid, they could have shown up with this horse on Derby undercard as a first time starter and got much more than 2-1, they didnt need to get in bed with Omar the clown nor did they have to pull some shenanigans with drugs.

They could have cleaned out the pools at CD as a firster. Not sure why they needed to give him a "practice run" in So Cal.

People watch tape, even if you finish up the track, we can all see the horse exploding with run while under a hammerlock, showing that horse off in So Cal not only cost them money at CD, but it put them under the microscope.

cj
07-31-2014, 05:21 PM
Love the silks.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bt5uegECMAEv3bh.jpg

Track Phantom
07-31-2014, 05:23 PM
The whole thing is ridiculous....except the horse. Wow!

cutchemist42
07-31-2014, 06:40 PM
Love the silks.

What a pimp.

The horse looked good too.

Cholly
07-31-2014, 07:32 PM
How pathetic is this? Everyone betting more than $2 knows favorite's connections are crooks with absolutely zero scruples about either throwing a race or stealing a race...and the public still bets $630,000 on the contest, counting horizontal wagers.

We're getting the screwing we deserve.

Stillriledup
07-31-2014, 08:12 PM
How pathetic is this? Everyone betting more than $2 knows favorite's connections are crooks with absolutely zero scruples about either throwing a race or stealing a race...and the public still bets $630,000 on the contest, counting horizontal wagers.

We're getting the screwing we deserve.

Its not the crooks (and their M.O.) i know about that worry me.

bks
08-13-2014, 07:24 PM
Interesting little subplot in todays 6th at DMR. Smogcutter, whose owners scratched him against Masochistic, is in against AC Avila's ML favorite Benba.

Mineshaft
08-13-2014, 07:28 PM
Interesting little subplot in todays 6th at DMR. Smogcutter, whose owners scratched him against Masochistic, is in against AC Avila's ML favorite Benba.

Both horses are running...

Stillriledup
08-13-2014, 08:49 PM

This is interesting that these owners ran against Avila here. So, they must hate the horse Masochistic and not Avila?

I don't understand, if someone can enlighten me, i'd appreciate it.

Fingal
08-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Love the silks.

On Friday Aug. 8th in the 4th Los Hermanos pulled off another AC job, this time over 24 bucks with Room For Me with Tiago Pereira up. Evidently Omar wasn't available.

Stillriledup
08-13-2014, 11:14 PM
On Friday Aug. 8th in the 4th Los Hermanos pulled off another AC job, this time over 24 bucks with Room For Me with Tiago Pereira up. Evidently Omar wasn't available.

Maybe they needed someone to put in the bets. :D

horses4courses
08-20-2014, 10:33 PM
He's baaaack............

(Post Time: 3:30) Surface: All Weather Track GET PPs
7 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up | ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING ($40,000) | Purse: $77,000
$1 Exacta / $2 Quinella / $1 Trifecta / $2 Rolling Double $1 Rolling Pick Three / $1 Superfecta (10-cent min.)

PP HORSE JOCKEY TRAINER CLAIM $ EQUIP. MED.
1 Winning Machine F. Perez
124 Lbs G. Mandella $40,000 Blk-On L
2 My Samurai Warrior E. Trujillo
122 Lbs V. Garcia - L
3 Clovelly C. Nakatani
118 Lbs P. Oliver - L
4 Celebrity Status T. Baze
124 Lbs D. Warren - L
5 Masochistic V. Espinoza
124 Lbs A. Avila - L
6 Kristo J. Talamo
118 Lbs J. Sadler - L

taxicab
08-20-2014, 10:54 PM
Well......he'll be twenty cents on the dollar in that spot Saturday.
There isn't a shred of early speed to go with this dude.
If Espinoza so chooses,Masochistic can have 10 lengths on the field turning for home.
Easiest P-5 single of the meet.

menifee
08-23-2014, 06:42 PM
This horse is a freak. These morons stiffed a G1/G2 potential horse in his first race so they could collect at the windows. Unbelievable. He should be undefeated and be running in stakes company.

Si2see
08-23-2014, 06:43 PM
I loved how it seemed like Trevor called the connections out when he crossed the wire :lol:

Stillriledup
08-23-2014, 07:35 PM
This horse is a freak. These morons stiffed a G1/G2 potential horse in his first race so they could collect at the windows. Unbelievable. He should be undefeated and be running in stakes company.

The punishment for Avila and Berrio should be more severe now that this horse is a superstar. Its kind of like how an NHL player would get an extra 2 mins for drawing blood.

johnhannibalsmith
08-23-2014, 07:53 PM
... Its kind of like how an NHL player would get an extra 2 mins for drawing blood.

Award winner there. Not sure what the award is called yet, but you've already won.

Stillriledup
08-23-2014, 09:39 PM

Award winner there. Not sure what the award is called yet, but you've already won.

I'm not a hall of fame nominee for nothing! :D

menifee
08-24-2014, 02:11 AM
Why are the jockey and trainer not banned for years? They fixed a horse race. They gave the horse an tranquilizer and the jockey had a hammer lock on him.

In Britain this gets you a 13 yr suspension. In California, you continue to race without consequence.

Where is the CHRB on this? These guys are making a mockery of the sport.

Stillriledup
08-24-2014, 02:53 AM
Why are the jockey and trainer not banned for years? They fixed a horse race. They gave the horse an tranquilizer and the jockey had a hammer lock on him.

In Britain this gets you a 13 yr suspension. In California, you continue to race without consequence.

Where is the CHRB on this? These guys are making a mockery of the sport.

Probably the same place as the TRPB who are "investigating" a past posting incident from last year at an "unnamed" track.

picojim
09-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Running today at Los Alamitos Race 8 1 Mile Dirt Purse $200,000 Stakes LOS ALAMITOS MILE S.

TheEdge07
09-06-2014, 08:37 PM
Running today at Los Alamitos Race 8 1 Mile Dirt Purse $200,000 Stakes LOS ALAMITOS MILE S.
2nd no excuse...
unless he was stiffed again...its a joke

menifee
09-07-2014, 01:18 AM
2nd no excuse...
unless he was stiffed again...its a joke

Horse wants no part of anything longer than 6 furlongs. He actually ran pretty well to hold second. Maybe a G3 or G2 sprinter? I don't know if he can compete with the G1 sprinters. I wonder if they try the Breeders Cup.

Cholly
09-12-2014, 07:56 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/stewards-investigation-into-avila-trainer-of-masochistic-closed/

$750 fine...Wow, that's harsh.

Stillriledup
09-12-2014, 08:01 PM
http://www.paulickreport.com/news/thoroughbred-racing/stewards-investigation-into-avila-trainer-of-masochistic-closed/

LOL

And THIS ruling from CHRB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg

taxicab
09-12-2014, 08:51 PM
LOL

And THIS ruling from CHRB:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8E_zMLCRNg
:D :ThmbUp:

Fingal
09-13-2014, 11:47 AM

$750 ? I haven't stopped laughing.

cj
09-13-2014, 12:09 PM

To be fair, the real problem (the stiffing) occurred in California. As for the article:

After Avila’s trainee Masochistic won a race on the Kentucky Derby undercard by 14 lengths at odds of 2-1 (despite having been fifth in his only other start)

That part is a joke. It was a horrendous field for the class and despite the non-effort first out the horse still had run faster than any of the others speed figure wise.

ultracapper
09-16-2014, 01:03 AM
I play a lot of maidens and N2Ls in SoCal and I cringe everytime I see an Avila in the field. Impossible to figure where he's at with a horse.

The funny part is that there is starting to be claiming activity on his horses. Very seldom were any of his MdCl red tagged, but you're starting to see it. BAbrams seldom claims anything and I saw him grab one. REllis has one of Avila's old maidens. Put the fear of losing the horse before he can play his little games out into his twisted little brain.

ultracapper
09-16-2014, 01:08 AM
Lastly for me, Benba seems totally criminal. The horse was common, mediocre at best. Avila claims him for $16k out of one of those cheap N2Ls that Benba couldn't even compete in, enters him in the classier $25kN2L while stretching him out and moving him to turf, and the horse pays about $15. I remember the race well and thought he would be about 20-1. Since then, the damn horse has only gotten better. Next we'll be comparing him to Lava Man. Oh yea, that was drug O'Neill, wasn't it?

Stillriledup
09-16-2014, 01:20 AM
Lastly for me, Benba seems totally criminal. The horse was common, mediocre at best. Avila claims him for $16k out of one of those cheap N2Ls that Benba couldn't even compete in, enters him in the classier $25kN2L while stretching him out and moving him to turf, and the horse pays about $15. I remember the race well and thought he would be about 20-1. Since then, the damn horse has only gotten better. Next we'll be comparing him to Lava Man. Oh yea, that was drug O'Neill, wasn't it?

I miss Berrio. He was predictable, he was easy to spot in the back "doing his thing".

Thebigguy
09-16-2014, 06:32 AM
I play a lot of maidens and N2Ls in SoCal and I cringe everytime I see an Avila in the field. Impossible to figure where he's at with a horse.

The funny part is that there is starting to be claiming activity on his horses. Very seldom were any of his MdCl red tagged, but you're starting to see it. BAbrams seldom claims anything and I saw him grab one. REllis has one of Avila's old maidens. Put the fear of losing the horse before he can play his little games out into his twisted little brain.

Twisted little brain?? Because he stiffed a horse.... Comical and ironic.

jk3521
09-16-2014, 08:08 AM
If you think you might have an idea of a trainer's antics, why complain? Just hope no one else figures him out. I remember way back when Oscar Barrera was working his wonders. After a few months his $20 winners became 8/5 favorites. Shhhh !!! :D

Fingal
09-16-2014, 01:16 PM
If you think you might have an idea of a trainer's antics, why complain? Just hope no one else figures him out. I remember way back when Oscar Barrera was working his wonders. After a few months his $20 winners became 8/5 favorites. Shhhh !!! :D

I'd say it's about 7 pages too late.

ultracapper
09-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Twisted little brain?? Because he stiffed a horse.... Comical and ironic.

A horse? Stiffed? He stiffs many a horse, he moves them up in unbelievable manners. He makes "money runs" look hopeless and hopeless situations turn into clear wins. He's as unpredictable as the sun is reliable.

ultracapper
09-16-2014, 02:17 PM

I can read Barry Abrams very well. I can read a small time trainer named Richard Rosales very well. There are other trainers that I get a read on to lesser degrees. I have no issue with understanding a trainers antics. It's very profitable when you can do it. In my opinion, AC Avila is unreadable because he goes way outside the edge of the "antics" envelope. Masochistic is not a good example. That was a very readable situation. I find it very hard to bet on his horses because, when the horse looks like it is at the point of running it's race, it's a 50/50 whether Avila/Berrio are going to go for it.

It sounds like there are players on here that have a bead on Avila. I'm definitely not one of them.

ultracapper
09-16-2014, 02:23 PM
I've been trying to say this without using the actual word, but just to be clear, I don't dislike Avila because he pulls things. I dislike him because I believe he pulls dishonest things.

Stillriledup
09-16-2014, 02:50 PM
I've been trying to say this without using the actual word, but just to be clear, I don't dislike Avila because he pulls things. I dislike him because I believe he pulls dishonest things.

Avila's biggest problem was using Berrio. The guy can't ride at all.

ultracapper
09-16-2014, 03:08 PM
He's awful, but he seems to follow instructions, and for a guy like Avila, that is paramount.

Stillriledup
09-16-2014, 03:11 PM
He's awful, but he seems to follow instructions, and for a guy like Avila, that is paramount.

Follow instructions? lol, if the instructions are "ride like an absolute clown" he followed his bosses advice to the T. :D

menifee
02-27-2015, 10:51 PM
A year later and they finally suspended Avila. 60 days and 10k fine for the banned drug. No apparent penalty for rigging a horse race and stiffing the horse and those who bet on him.

Stillriledup
02-28-2015, 02:20 AM
A year later and they finally suspended Avila. 60 days and 10k fine for the banned drug. No apparent penalty for rigging a horse race and stiffing the horse and those who bet on him.

Not sure why this wasn't worthy of a 10 year suspension like Dutrow got.

What is California thinking.

ultracapper
02-28-2015, 12:56 PM

If they really tried, I'd bet they could find many, many more instances of Avila "cookin' the books", so to speak. Is this his first penalty of any kind? I can hardly bet a race he has an entrant in. His horse is always the wild card. You have no idea how he's going to play it on any particular day. He's an admitted gambler, and has always been suspected of monkey business in his home country.

Stillriledup
02-28-2015, 02:39 PM
If they really tried, I'd bet they could find many, many more instances of Avila "cookin' the books", so to speak. Is this his first penalty of any kind? I can hardly bet a race he has an entrant in. His horse is always the wild card. You have no idea how he's going to play it on any particular day. He's an admitted gambler, and has always been suspected of monkey business in his home country.

Yet, his fine and suspension was the same fine/suspension that an otherwise honest trainer would have gotten on an accidental drug positive.

They could have made a statement that said cheating is taboo around here....and the ruling essentially encourages it.

menifee
02-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Ironically, Masochistic makes his return today.

Stillriledup
02-28-2015, 04:33 PM
Ironically, Masochistic makes his return today.

Jne9t8sHpUc

taxicab
02-28-2015, 04:49 PM
Yet, his fine and suspension was the same fine/suspension that an otherwise honest trainer would have gotten on an accidental drug positive.

They could have made a statement that said cheating is taboo around here....and the ruling essentially encourages it.
Spot on...

luisbe
02-28-2015, 05:37 PM
Won for fun. Not even going to the whip. BC Sprint the goal?

Stillriledup
02-28-2015, 05:41 PM

Bejarano riding a horse off a super visual 99 performance on the lead, grabs and yields to a horse off a long layoff and an 80 Beyer. That Rebel horse is very good, he needs to be sent along though, he's one to follow with different tactics next time.

cj
02-28-2015, 05:47 PM

He isn't that good, IMO. He'd get dusted against a real field of sprinters.

luisbe
02-28-2015, 05:51 PM
He isn't that good, IMO. He'd get dusted against a real field of sprinters.

He's shouting out stakes company tho'. Maybe G3 is the right place.

taxicab
02-28-2015, 08:53 PM
AC is planning on running him on the Derby Undercard in a Grade 2{500k}.
Today's stroll....

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/SA/2015/2/28/5/race-5-aoc-at-sa-on-2-28-15

Relwob Owner
02-28-2015, 09:05 PM
Jne9t8sHpUc

Off thread topic but shift, but the absurd and maybe even ironic thing about this song is that nothing she mentioned was really ironic. More like "isn't it a bummer..."

Stillriledup
02-28-2015, 09:28 PM
Off thread topic but shift, but the absurd and maybe even ironic thing about this song is that nothing she mentioned was really ironic. More like "isn't it a bummer..."

Good call.

luisbe
02-28-2015, 11:26 PM
Avila Defiant in Face of Suspension

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/90390/avila-defiant-in-face-of-suspension

Stillriledup
03-01-2015, 02:14 AM
Avila Defiant in Face of Suspension

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/90390/avila-defiant-in-face-of-suspension

If i was Avila's advisor, i'd tell him to be quiet and take the suspension and lay low, these comments are not making things better for him.

I must have missed it, but was there any punishment for Berrio or the owners? This entire episode was "detrimental to racing" because it was a drug positive that was directly tied into large wagers AND it was a drug positive to make the horse go slower to hide the form, not sure why Berrio or the owners are getting off scot free.

Stillriledup
06-27-2015, 07:31 PM
As the Parx announcer might say

HELLOOOOO!

SoCalCircuit
06-27-2015, 10:26 PM
Todd Schrupps single in the pick 4 that paid north of 1500. What are the odds he actually played it?

Stillriledup
06-28-2015, 12:10 AM
Todd Schrupps single in the pick 4 that paid north of 1500. What are the odds he actually played it?
Depends on if he got his paycheck yesterday or today.

menifee
06-28-2015, 01:37 AM

I still can't believe they stiffed this horse in his first race. Won his first G1. Sprint division is starting to get interesting.

Stillriledup
06-28-2015, 02:28 AM
I still can't believe they stiffed this horse in his first race. Won his first G1. Sprint division is starting to get interesting.

He won a grade 1 in effortless fashion. Incredible to now think about this retrospecively.