PDA

View Full Version : 40 years since Nixon 'impeached'.

Stillriledup
05-02-2014, 04:19 PM
Did we 'do away' with impeachments altogether?

If Nixon was the pres in 2014 and did the same exact thing, do you think he would be impeached/resign today, or, are we a much more "forgiving" nation and would "believe him" if he said "i am not a crook"?

Robert Goren
05-02-2014, 04:23 PM
He would have been impeached today. And no, we haven't done away with them.

Tom
05-02-2014, 05:39 PM
We don't them nearly as often as we should.
Nixon was a scumbag, but compared to Obama, he should be made a saint.

JustRalph
05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
They're working on it via roadside petitions here in Texas

I took this pick at a red light yesterday

tucker6
05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
I'd vote for Nixon over Obama. He was off kilter in some areas, but he knew he job well. Obama is off kilter in a lot of areas and knows jack about absolutely nothing other than race baiting.

FantasticDan
05-02-2014, 07:02 PM
Just lost a bundle on this thread. The over/under on how many posts it would take the local crazies to turn a random Nixon thread into Obama-bashing was 3. I ignored my instincts and took the over :mad: :rolleyes:

Marshall Bennett
05-02-2014, 07:58 PM
Nixon put the nail in the coffin in as far as leaving any trust in our government to future generations. From then all anything the government got it's hands on brought scrutiny and distrust. New politicians had the added task of proving they were honest from the beginning instead of waiting till they screwed up to prove they weren't guilty as it had been. The public no longer trusted them and even they no any longer trusted each other. The Kennedy assassination was reopened for investigation, no one trusted anything the government had overseen.
We'll never recover from the awful stain Nixon put on the presidency. Doesn't matter what party he belonged to, he was one of the most dishonest leaders the world's ever seen and a complete embarrassment to the country.

fast4522
05-02-2014, 08:03 PM
They're working on it via roadside petitions here in Texas

I took this pick at a red light yesterday

JR, take what I say with a grain of salt next:

On closer inspection of that table setup in Texas one might find the name Lyndon LaRouche and his PAC, look even further you may find young communist workers at the table. The goal is to collect names with personal data, few checks are passed to these folks. Your opinion as usual is always appreciated, the speaker of The House has no stones and his handkerchief is always moist because of his bleeding heart.

reckless
05-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Did we 'do away' with impeachments altogether?

If Nixon was the pres in 2014 and did the same exact thing,...

SRU, what exactly did Nixon do that was impeachable? What was the 'exact same thing' you mention?

Never forget this, please, unlike serial sex offender Bill Clinton, Nixon was never impeached. The media wants the public to believe Nixon was impeached specifically to diffuse and confuse public opinion about the seriousness of Clinton's (and now Obama's) numerous crimes and misdemeanors.

Tom
05-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Just lost a bundle on this thread. The over/under on how many posts it would take the local crazies to turn a random Nixon thread into Obama-bashing was 3. I ignored my instincts and took the over :mad: :rolleyes:
A natual seqway - one lying SOB from then to a lying SOB today.
Hard to mention a disgrace of a president and not think of Obama.
Death, Taxes
Hitler, Musselini,
Assault, battery
Russia, China
Fever, chills

Some things go together.

mostpost
05-02-2014, 09:58 PM
SRU, what exactly did Nixon do that was impeachable? What was the 'exact same thing' you mention?

Never forget this, please, unlike serial sex offender Bill Clinton, Nixon was never impeached. The media wants the public to believe Nixon was impeached specifically to diffuse and confuse public opinion about the seriousness of Clinton's (and now Obama's) numerous crimes and misdemeanors.
First you should note that SRU put impeached in quotes. I'm sure the public knows Nixon was not impeached, he resigned. If he had not resigned he would have been impeached and he would have been convicted.

Somehow, I have missed all the stories about Nixon being impeached. No one with a functioning brain thinks Nixon was impeached. And there is no media conspiracy to make us believe he was.

What exactly did Nixon do that was impeachable?
Here are the articles of impeachment.
In his conduct of the office of President of the United States, Richard M. Nixon, in violation of his constitutional oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his consitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, has prevented, obstructed, and impeded the administration of justice, in that:
On June 17, 1972, and prior thereto, agents of the Committee for the Re-election of the President committed unlawful entry of the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in Washington, District of Columbia, for the purpose of securing political intelligence.

Subsequent thereto, Richard M. Nixon, using the powers of his high office, engaged personally and through his close subordinates and agents, in a course of conduct or plan designed to delay, impede, and obstruct the investigation of such illegal entry; to cover up, conceal and protect those responsible; and to conceal the existence and scope of other unlawful covert activities.

The means used to implement this course of conduct or plan included one or more of the following:
making false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States;

withholding relevant and material evidence or information from lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States;
approving, condoning, acquiescing in, and counselling witnesses with respect to the giving of false or misleading statements to lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States and false or misleading testimony in duly instituted judicial and congressional proceedings;
interfering or endeavouring to interfere with the conduct of investigations by the Department of Justice of the United States, the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the office of Watergate Special Prosecution Force, and Congressional Committees;

approving, condoning, and acquiescing in, the surreptitious payment of substantial sums of money for the purpose of obtaining the silence or influencing the testimony of witnesses, potential witnesses or individuals who participated in such unlawful entry and other illegal activities;

endeavouring to misuse the Central Intelligence Agency, an agency of the United States;

disseminating information received from officers of the Department of Justice of the United States to subjects of investigations conducted by lawfully authorized investigative officers and employees of the United States, for the purpose of aiding and assisting such subjects in their attempts to avoid criminal liability;

making or causing to be made false or misleading public statements for the purpose of deceiving the people of the United States into believing that a thorough and complete investigation had been conducted with respect to allegations of misconduct on the part of personnel of the executive branch of the United States and personnel of the Committee for the Re-election of the President, and that there was no involvement of such personnel in such misconduct: or

endeavouring to cause prospective defendants, and individuals duly tried and convicted, to expect favoured treatment and consideration in return for their silence or false testimony, or rewarding individuals for their silence or false testimony.

In all of this, Richard M. Nixon has acted in a manner contrary to his trust as President and subversive of constitutional government, to the great prejudice of the cause of law and justice and to the manifest injury of the people of the United States.
Wherefore Richard M. Nixon, by such conduct, warrants impeachment and trial, and removal from office.

Adopted 27-11 by the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives, at 7.07pm on Saturday, 27th July, 1974, in Room 2141 of the Rayburn Office Building, Washington D.C.

Understand, this does not mean Nixon was impeached. The full House would have had to act of these articles for Nixon to be impeached. He resigned before that happened.

JustRalph
05-02-2014, 10:58 PM
JR, take what I say with a grain of salt next:

On closer inspection of that table setup in Texas one might find the name Lyndon LaRouche and his PAC, look even further you may find young communist workers at the table. The goal is to collect names with personal data, few checks are passed to these folks. Your opinion as usual is always appreciated, the speaker of The House has no stones and his handkerchief is always moist because of his bleeding heart.

Not sure what they are about. Never stopped to find out.

Actor
05-04-2014, 06:44 AM
In 1968 I got orders to ship out to Vietnam. Nixon "Vietnamized" the war and my orders were cancelled. I'll always love Nixon. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
05-04-2014, 09:32 AM
In 1968 I got orders to ship out to Vietnam. Nixon "Vietnamized" the war and my orders were cancelled. I'll always love Nixon. :ThmbUp:In Sept of 1969, I decide I had enough of college. I was almost drafted in Dec of 1969. In Jan of 1970, the draft lottery started. I got a high number and didn't have to go. I liked Nixon in Jan of 1970.
Nixon did some good things, but had a flawed personality which led him to do some really stupid things. As the late Terry Cannon, former national chairman of YAF, said. "What is so sad, is that they really did not need to do any of it. Nixon would have won easily anyway."

fast4522
05-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Say what you will about Richard Milhous Nixon, time is the best judge of any President. In the end he will be in the column of Presidents who truly loved these United States, there will be a few in another column who did not.

Marshall Bennett
05-04-2014, 12:09 PM
Yeah, but there are a whole lot of other columns. Where does he fit in those? :cool:

fast4522
05-04-2014, 03:36 PM
Perfectly phrased question :

Acknowledging myself far from a perfect man, the answer to the question "Where does he fit in those?" becomes easy with the answer favorably.

I would venture to guess many a dyed in the wool democrats here would credit the man as a accomplished statesman and someone who was ready for the job on day one without the need of OTJT.

ldiatone
05-04-2014, 04:46 PM
We don't them nearly as often as we should.
Nixon was a scumbag, but compared to Obama, he should be made a saint.
tsk tsk tom. dont you remember....44years ago
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfOx2AQOW1A