PDA

View Full Version : Gallop Outs - NYRA

the little guy
05-01-2014, 12:07 PM
Hopefully we will be following the gallop out in our video presentation much more extensively going forward. I know this has been brought up here in the past, and I also happen to agree, and expect this will be a permanent part of our presentation going forward.

Jeff P
05-01-2014, 12:18 PM
I like it. (Thank you.)

-jp

Robert Fischer
05-01-2014, 12:20 PM
awesome :ThmbUp:

EMD4ME
05-11-2014, 11:29 PM
Hopefully we will be following the gallop out in our video presentation much more extensively going forward. I know this has been brought up here in the past, and I also happen to agree, and expect this will be a permanent part of our presentation going forward.

I was the one who brought it up here. I must say "Thank You"!!! Great job Andy. It is very much appreciated.

WJ47
05-16-2014, 01:29 AM
This is awesome news! :)

ultracapper
05-16-2014, 01:34 AM
Nice.

jk3521
05-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Now I feel we are seeing the complete race ! :cool:

wiffleball whizz
05-16-2014, 08:39 PM

It was nice meeting TLG today.........he didn't even know 2 PA members were hawking Belmont tvs next to him a good portion of the day....

TLG good people :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

EMD4ME
11-22-2015, 10:05 PM
I want to again thank TLG for making sure this happened.

I have 1 more minor request. Can we extend the head ons a little bit more to encompass the true gallop outs as well?

When I watch replays the gallop out is pretty solid on the "pan replay". When I pull up the head on, it cuts off after the last horse hits the wire.

Reason I ask for this is I like to see how much the jocks pull on horses (to pull them up) in the 1st few strides after the wire. On the pan shot that's not possible as the pan shot focuses on every horse hitting the wire before switching over to the gallop out.

EMD4ME
11-22-2015, 10:09 PM
One question for everyone on here.

If you see a horse drifting out a lot on the gallop out (while the horse is NOT full of run after the wire) how much, if anything, do you discredit the horse's gallop out (if any)?

I'll give you an example. Danny's Deceiver is running Friday at the BIG A. In his Oct 28th 6th race win, he won well but came out a lot while slowing down on the gallop out.

For point of reference, in his nice 2nd to Marking on Sep 23rd (3rd race) he galloped out straight as an arrow and nicely....

Why the change?

Horses tend to drift out when there's an issue. Do you consider drifting on a gallop out an issue?

cbp
11-22-2015, 10:38 PM
I'll be focusing elsewhere.

Donttellmeshowme
11-22-2015, 11:21 PM

If you see a horse drifting out a lot on the gallop out (while the horse is NOT full of run after the wire) how much, if anything, do you discredit the horse's gallop out (if any)?

I'll give you an example. Danny's Deceiver is running Friday at the BIG A. In his Oct 28th 6th race win, he won well but came out a lot while slowing down on the gallop out.

For point of reference, in his nice 2nd to Marking on Sep 23rd (3rd race) he galloped out straight as an arrow and nicely....

Why the change?

Horses tend to drift out when there's an issue. Do you consider drifting on a gallop out an issue?

Whats the trainers win %? if he does any vet work the horse should not drift out.

EMD4ME
11-22-2015, 11:28 PM
Whats the trainers win %? if he does any vet work the horse should not drift out.

Cannizzo (19/156 this year-12%). Improving stats in recent years...

Donttellmeshowme
11-22-2015, 11:53 PM
Cannizzo (19/156 this year-12%). Improving stats in recent years...

If i had to guess i would probably say hes doing some vet work. If the horse drifted out on the gallop out i would think the trainer would fix the problem for its next race. If you like the horse and want to bet him i wouldnt worry about the gallop out drifting out.

Stillriledup
11-23-2015, 01:16 AM

Why the change?

Without knowing the horse, as soon as I read this i thought 'I wonder if there was a different jock on board' and yes, different jock.

Went back and watched both replays, seemed like the slop win the guy steered him out there a bit, it's hard to see if that horse was just drifting on his own, but it's not something I would take lightly.

Also, I toss out horses who win w big efforts on sloppy tracks quite often, I think it can take something out of them, although this horse had a published work not too long after the win, which is a good sign.

This horse aside, just in general, if the gallop out was different with the 'negative' one being the most recent, I would tread w caution.

lamboguy
11-23-2015, 02:01 AM
to me possible reasons for drifting out could be sore hawks, stifles or suspensories. not that easy to correct in 3 weeks.

on the other hand lugging in is often helped with an adjustment or change in bits.

Kash$
11-23-2015, 07:47 AM
to me possible reasons for drifting out could be sore hawks, stifles or suspensories. not that easy to correct in 3 weeks.

on the other hand lugging in is often helped with an adjustment or change in bits.

Runhappy drifted badly in his prep prior to his BC win

ReplayRandall
11-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Runhappy drifted badly in his prep prior to his BC win

Overcame problems like breaking flat-footed and saddle slipping on the turn into the stretch, but had 29 days in between races to recover depleted energy reserves for BC victory......

EMD4ME
11-25-2015, 09:17 PM
Chow Fun. Race 1 tomorrow. Very good gallop out (as expected by a rallying closer in a sprint) 2 back.

Caught a dead tired leader in last and couldn't take more than a few steps past the wire in his win last time out.

Not a good sign. Think he's brought back quickly as the turf season is closing at the BIG A.

Bad bet.

OTM Al
11-25-2015, 09:22 PM
Chow Fun. Race 1 tomorrow. Very good gallop out (as expected by a rallying closer in a sprint) 2 back.

Caught a dead tired leader in last and couldn't take more than a few steps past the wire in his win last time out.

Not a good sign. Think he's brought back quickly as the turf season is closing at the BIG A.

Bad bet.
Been a bad bet most its career. Saw some things I liked on this one early on and never panned out for me. Would not touch this horse anymore.

NorCalGreg
11-26-2015, 02:20 AM
Been a bad bet most its career. Saw some things I liked on this one early on and never panned out for me. Would not touch this horse anymore.

Thanks Al!! I was seriously thinking about throwing caution to the wind--and betting Chow Fun anyway.

EMD4ME
11-26-2015, 09:01 PM

Bad bet.

Ran terrible.....as expected.

Dannie's Deceiver is running Friday in Race 5. Something tells me that poor gallop out is a big negative to factor in.

We'll see tomorrow.

green80
11-26-2015, 09:09 PM
It takes a very trained eye and much experience to make any worthwhile judgement from the gallop out. Unless you know how the horse and how he normally gallops out, I would not be too quick to judge.

Secondbest
11-26-2015, 09:45 PM
Back in the 80's a writer for LI Newsday was doing OK and he always mentioned gallop outs. A service was started for the gallop outs it lasted less than 6 months if that long.
Not sure if its relevant today but Just thought I'd mention it

EMD4ME
11-26-2015, 11:14 PM
It takes a very trained eye and much experience to make any worthwhile judgement from the gallop out. Unless you know how the horse and how he normally gallops out, I would not be too quick to judge.

This is exactly why, I'm a bit concerned about DD's form....His 2 back gallop out was straight as an arrow and good. 3 back gallop out was very good despite being fried in a vicious duel.

Stillriledup
11-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Ran terrible.....as expected.

Dannie's Deceiver is running Friday in Race 5. Something tells me that poor gallop out is a big negative to factor in.

We'll see tomorrow.

Great call.

EMD4ME
11-28-2015, 09:37 AM
Great call.

Thanks SRU....the dead rail hurt him too but he was not the same horse.

On to today....

In the HTW thread I've highlighted Inspector Lynley. Has MANY angles to crush today's field.

One of which was a fantastic gallop out under wraps in his 1st start (prep).

He is a prime play today.

no breathalyzer
11-28-2015, 10:42 AM

On to today....

In the HTW thread I've highlighted Inspector Lynley. Has MANY angles to crush today's field.

this horse finished 11 flat like a rocket ship.. something tells me we aint seeing anything close to that 7/2 ml

Stillriledup
11-28-2015, 01:41 PM

On to today....

This was a wonderful pick, very talented runner.

EMD4ME
11-28-2015, 01:56 PM
This was a wonderful pick, very talented runner.

That loss still hurts.....Ran great but unfortunately one other one ran greater.

EMD4ME
09-19-2016, 12:08 AM
Eloquent Riddle

Race 6 today. Yes, when 4 horses duel eachother across the track in a race long pace skirmish AND the top 2 finishers sat right behind them with solid trips, the top 2 should gallop out best and well.

However, this horse galloped out well all the way to the end of the clubhouse TURN! That's at least another 1/2 mile at 12 F long Belmont Park.

Was this horse that FIT going into the race OR is this horse going to beat STAKES foes at 1M in her next start?

Good time to have a ripe 2 year old....

EMD4ME
10-18-2016, 08:27 PM
Anyone have any idea where Chad Brown plans to run this 2YO Filly? (Eloquent Riddle)

rsetup
10-18-2016, 09:27 PM
Eloquent Riddle

Race 6 today. Yes, when 4 horses duel eachother across the track in a race long pace skirmish AND the top 2 finishers sat right behind them with solid trips, the top 2 should gallop out best and well.

However, this horse galloped out well all the way to the end of the clubhouse TURN! That's at least another 1/2 mile at 12 F long Belmont Park.

Was this horse that FIT going into the race OR is this horse going to beat STAKES foes at 1M in her next start?

Good time to have a ripe 2 year old....

Some players hit a home run their 1st major league at bat. Some horses get a once in a career perfect trip their 1st time out. What's amazing is that she didn't wipe out the field with that setup. The runner up got pretty much an identical trip but at least she had to make up some ground early.

She's gonna be interesting next time out. Probably short odds; and the question of whether she can win without a lot of help.

EMD4ME
10-18-2016, 09:41 PM
Some players hit a home run their 1st major league at bat. Some horses get a once in a career perfect trip their 1st time out. What's amazing is that she didn't wipe out the field with that setup. The runner up got pretty much an identical trip but at least she had to make up some ground early.

She's gonna be interesting next time out. Probably short odds; and the question of whether she can win without a lot of help.

Interesting yes.

Could be a trap OR

Could be a horse who wasn't 100% primed for a 6 1/2 F Dirt sprint and is ready to run very well at a mile. I give her extra credit for being used in the best part of the race (1st quarter).

To me, the 5 had a blessing in breaking slow, idled behind the winner in the soft middle half and had minor trouble losing her path at the 1/4.

The last 1/16 was good and the 4 looked to be just finding her stride (after using early). 2 moves from a baby is nice. Regardless of the nice trip.

It will all depend on who she's facing/dynamics/price/bias the next time she runs.

Either way, as a handicapper, a fun story to watch develop.

SG4
10-18-2016, 09:47 PM
Anyone have any idea where Chad Brown plans to run this 2YO Filly? (Eloquent Riddle)

She's been working regularly since her debut, but the Belmont condition book is completely lacking in open MSW on dirt through the end of the meet, so have to think whatever comes up early at AQU would be where they point next. Does Chad ever ship to CD? They've got a flat mile small stake coming up soon & possibly some MSW, but wouldn't expect to see her make that trip, nothing to rush for now this time of year anyhow.

EMD4ME
10-18-2016, 09:55 PM
She's been working regularly since her debut, but the Belmont condition book is completely lacking in open MSW on dirt through the end of the meet, so have to think whatever comes up early at AQU would be where they point next. Does Chad ever ship to CD? They've got a flat mile small stake coming up soon & possibly some MSW, but wouldn't expect to see her make that trip, nothing to rush for now this time of year anyhow.

I appreciate your reply. She's not a maiden though.

Was just wondering what stake she's prepping for.

Rise Over Run
10-19-2016, 09:05 AM
She was nominated to the Frizette but didn't pass the entry box. Though that would have only been 3 weeks since her first start.

Maybe the Tempted G-III at Aqueduct on November 5th. She would be able to stretch out to a mile, but stay at one turn.

SG4
10-19-2016, 10:43 AM
I appreciate your reply. She's not a maiden though.

Was just wondering what stake she's prepping for.

Brain freeze on that one, for whatever reason had it in my head she was a fast closing 2nd in her debut. As previous poster mentioned, Tempted at AQU first week in November sounds like the obvious next spot then.

Rise Over Run
10-19-2016, 02:48 PM
She was nominated to the Frizette but didn't pass the entry box. Though that would have only been 3 weeks since her first start.

Maybe the Tempted G-III at Aqueduct on November 5th. She would be able to stretch out to a mile, but stay at one turn.
Her dam is actually a half to some pretty decent grass runners that raced in France, so it wouldn't surprise me to see her on the lawn either. Whatever Chad decides on is probably the right move.

EMD4ME
10-26-2016, 09:13 PM
So, I was working on a pick 6 for tomorrow, was going to single the 16 in the last and then.............................

A PUTRID gallop out by the favorite in her last win. Combine that with her being a filly AND inside speed lined up inside of her and YUCK.

I'm out of playing the pick 6. Last time I saw a gallop out like that, Danny's receiver or Danny's Deceiver, whatever his name is, ran up the creek in his next, way off form.

Marnesia Big Girl. Sep 15th, 6th race was the race.

Add the fact that she won while riding the anti rail bias (3 path whole way), I have pause in wagering $1000 or so into a Pick 6.

Arrrrghhhhhhh...............

AltonKelsey
10-26-2016, 09:51 PM
I had a brief note on the race and nothing negative so I rewatched,

I see what you're talking about, but I'm not so sure it's as negative as you might think.

The horse was eased under the wire and won very easily vs what I assume was a weak field.

That drift is very hard to quantify imo. Cause for pause ,maybe, but it may well be nothing.

EasyGoer89
10-27-2016, 01:21 AM
So, I was working on a pick 6 for tomorrow, was going to single the 16 in the last and then.............................

A PUTRID gallop out by the favorite in her last win. Combine that with her being a filly AND inside speed lined up inside of her and YUCK.

I'm out of playing the pick 6. Last time I saw a gallop out like that, Danny's receiver or Danny's Deceiver, whatever his name is, ran up the creek in his next, way off form.

Marnesia Big Girl. Sep 15th, 6th race was the race.

Add the fact that she won while riding the anti rail bias (3 path whole way), I have pause in wagering $1000 or so into a Pick 6.

Arrrrghhhhhhh...............

Think she was purposely taken to the outer rail for some reason, would be curious to know if other horses owned by these connections have similar gallop outs, or the jock is known to run the horse to the outer rail, interesting that she's not in a claiming race, so they aren't looking to lose her, at least not tomorrow.

Not sure where that performance came from, she was a slow dirt runner with figures of 0, 28, 42 and 62 and then pops a 90 geared down with first time front wraps, hard call here.

Rise Over Run
10-30-2016, 10:29 AM

Eloquent Riddle was nominated to the Tempted. The race is drawn on Wednesday.

Robert Fischer
10-30-2016, 11:50 AM
Keen Ice is a big standout who is featured in the Classic.

Belmont, Oct 7, race 8

I don't really love these types of gallop-outs after the running. Good example of a wise-guy gallop out.

I think we know keen ice by now, and if the race falls apart for any of the board spots he could be a better price than hoppertunity...