PDA

View Full Version : California Influence Hits Belmont Condition Book

eqitec
04-29-2014, 09:25 PM
I see conditions on the 1st Belmont card Thursday which are unlike any I've seen from a NYRA track. But, they are very much like conditions I've seen often from tracks in CA, and found to be very confusing.

The conditions for Thursday's 3rd are shown below. In the past, at NYRA these would have been for n2x, n3l, or clm$$; difficult enough to figure out where a horse fits class-wise into the race.

Can someone explain these conditions? Is the $10,000 twice other than supposed to be the winner's share of a purse in two races? Wouldn't those have to be from two low class races?

ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING. Purse $80;000 (UP TO $14;400 NYSBFOA) FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $10;000 TWICE OTHER THAN MAIDEN; CLAIMING; STARTER; OR STATE BRED OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON THREE RACES OR OPTIONAL CLAIMING $62,500.

What's the point? If you look at the PPs for this race and find a horse which won 2 races, how are you supposed to figure out whether it qualifies under the NEVER WON $10,000 TWICE vs N3L?

It seems to me at first glance that this has made class evaluation even more complicated than it was before. If this is something the BFH GM brought from CA to NYRA in his new position of Director of Racing, it's not a good sign.

If someone can help me understand the rationale behind these conditions, perhaps I can get used to them. In the past, among other reasons, I've avoided playing tracks in CA because of conditions like these.

Tom
04-29-2014, 09:59 PM
I do believe it the winner's share of a very bad allowance race.
NYRA has so many stupid conditions I have completely given up. I'll play grass stakes but I don''t even bother looking at many NYRA PPs anymore. They look like Batavia Downs 20 years ago - pass.

plainolebill
04-29-2014, 10:33 PM
The way I read it, the first condition is for a regular allowance nw2x, the nw3l opens the door for horses that may have broken their mdn in a stakes race/alw and won another stakes/alw - both being worth more than 10k to the winner.

Panza is a sharp guy, don't judge him too soon.

eqitec
04-30-2014, 09:02 AM
I failed to note that the race with the conditions I cited drew only 5 entries.

therussmeister
04-30-2014, 10:42 AM
You should basically ignore the first conditions (about the non-winners twice of $10,000) and just treat it as an NW3L optional claimer.

The point is to allow a horse that has run through its allowance conditions at a very small track to take a shot at the big time in NY, but it may never happen that a horse enters qualifying under those conditions, because even tracks like Suffolk and Finger Lakes pay more than $10,000 to allowance winners.

Mineshaft
04-30-2014, 11:38 AM
I see conditions on the 1st Belmont card Thursday which are unlike any I've seen from a NYRA track. But, they are very much like conditions I've seen often from tracks in CA, and found to be very confusing.

The conditions for Thursday's 3rd are shown below. In the past, at NYRA these would have been for n2x, n3l, or clm$$; difficult enough to figure out where a horse fits class-wise into the race.

Can someone explain these conditions? Is the $10,000 twice other than supposed to be the winner's share of a purse in two races? Wouldn't those have to be from two low class races?

ALLOWANCE OPTIONAL CLAIMING. Purse $80;000 (UP TO $14;400 NYSBFOA) FOR FILLIES AND MARES THREE YEARS OLD AND UPWARD WHICH HAVE NEVER WON $10;000 TWICE OTHER THAN MAIDEN; CLAIMING; STARTER; OR STATE BRED OR WHICH HAVE NEVER WON THREE RACES OR OPTIONAL CLAIMING $62,500.

What's the point? If you look at the PPs for this race and find a horse which won 2 races, how are you supposed to figure out whether it qualifies under the NEVER WON $10,000 TWICE vs N3L?

It seems to me at first glance that this has made class evaluation even more complicated than it was before. If this is something the BFH GM brought from CA to NYRA in his new position of Director of Racing, it's not a good sign.

If someone can help me understand the rationale behind these conditions, perhaps I can get used to them. In the past, among other reasons, I've avoided playing tracks in CA because of conditions like these.

and dont forget you couldnt have won a race on Tuesday that would make you ineligible for this race also

eqitec
04-30-2014, 01:01 PM
That makes sense. Thanks a lot. I'll take your advice,

ezpace
04-30-2014, 08:12 PM
I do believe it the winner's share of a very bad allowance race.
NYRA has so many stupid conditions I have completely given up. I'll play grass stakes but I don''t even bother looking at many NYRA PPs anymore. They look like Batavia Downs 20 years ago - pass.

DITTO

eqitec
04-30-2014, 09:49 PM
Sorry to belabor this issue.
How then does Hot Rendesvoux qualify under the conditions stated?
See image.

HR has won 5 races, so does not fit n3l.
HR is not in for the claiming tag.
All that's left is that NEVER WON $10;000 TWICE OTHER THAN MAIDEN; CLAIMING; STARTER; OR STATE BRED

Now I see it that 4 out of HR's wins were either Md.Clm. or s-bred. The 5th win by HR was when it won $10,000 once in the open filly allowance n1x.

So are these conditions also set to attract poor NYS-breds as well as low class horses from other tracks?

I still believe that the n2x, n3l, opt. clm. conditions are easier to deal with.