PDA

View Full Version : Aqueduct Race 5.

tzipi
04-27-2014, 03:29 PM
Umm what was Maragh doing on the :7: ?? As they came down the stretch his horse goes for the lead. As everyone is whipping and pumping away, he's just sitting on the horse basically holding the reins tight all the way down the stretch as the horses pass him. Even when he sees the outside horses coming up, he looks and continues to hold the reins and ride as if they were going around the track for the first time. I don't think he even whipped the horse once in the stretch.

Am I wrong? In the stretch, he looks like a jock going down the stretch the first time in a two turn race.

Rise Over Run
04-27-2014, 03:37 PM
Covered in today's Talking Horses (http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/handicapping/talking-horses-replay/). She does not like to be aggressively handled and I can't see her ever winning a race on the NYRA circuit.

tzipi
04-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Covered in today's Talking Horses (http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/handicapping/talking-horses-replay/). She does not like to be aggressively handled and I can't see her ever winning a race on the NYRA circuit.

Oh ok. Thanks Rise :ThmbUp: .Man, I agree, can't see this horse winning a race if she has to be ridden like that. Not even any hand pumping. :eek:

deathandgravity
04-27-2014, 04:52 PM
they talked about the :7: too on TVG.. if anybody listens?

Biggest crime in that race was Ortiz ride on :1:

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Umm what was Maragh doing on the :7: ?? As they came down the stretch his horse goes for the lead. As everyone is whipping and pumping away, he's just sitting on the horse basically holding the reins tight all the way down the stretch as the horses pass him. Even when he sees the outside horses coming up, he looks and continues to hold the reins and ride as if they were going around the track for the first time. I don't think he even whipped the horse once in the stretch.

Am I wrong? In the stretch, he looks like a jock going down the stretch the first time in a two turn race.

Almost all jocks at Big A ride every race like its a mile and a half. This is not unusual for this place.

There are countless threads on "odd" rides from these jocks, its why i've cut down my Aqu wagers to a bare minimum, i rarely make a bet at this place anymore for this very reason.

Augenj
04-27-2014, 06:37 PM
Almost all jocks at Big A ride every race like its a mile and a half. This is not unusual for this place.

There are countless threads on "odd" rides from these jocks, its why i've cut down my Aqu wagers to a bare minimum, i rarely make a bet at this place anymore for this very reason.
I remember back in the 70's out West when the last week of the season was considered "jockey's week" where strange things happened and the board lit up with large prices. Not saying it still continues but I've seen some pretty strange rides in the last week of the season at various tracks. Or I'm really paranoid. Yes, that's it! :D

Rise Over Run
04-27-2014, 08:44 PM

Maragh also tweeted the same before the race:

"rc5 @TheNYRA I ride You take the cake. If I try to ride her aggressively she resents it and stop running so I will be sitting quiet on her"

In the stretch, I think horses react much more competitively to other horses next to them rather than a human whacking them with a whip or forcefully pushing their neck forward.

In this case, You Take the Cake was completely out of gas (relative to the top 3 finishers) with 100 yards to go. Let's hypothesize and say the You Take the Cake doesn't have issues with how she is ridden. Does anyone really believe she would have finished anywhere other than 4th with the "standard" stretch ride.

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 10:38 PM
Maragh also tweeted the same before the race:

"rc5 @TheNYRA I ride You take the cake. If I try to ride her aggressively she resents it and stop running so I will be sitting quiet on her"

In the stretch, I think horses react much more competitively to other horses next to them rather than a human whacking them with a whip or forcefully pushing their neck forward.

In this case, You Take the Cake was completely out of gas (relative to the top 3 finishers) with 100 yards to go. Let's hypothesize and say the You Take the Cake doesn't have issues with how she is ridden. Does anyone really believe she would have finished anywhere other than 4th with the "standard" stretch ride.

I actually know this horse pretty well, she races good and then you can't find her with a telescope and you think she's virtually broken down and you'll never see her again and wallah, here she comes raging at a big price. Odd horse, not sure why the massive form reversals with her, but they're there for some reason.

tzipi
04-28-2014, 12:47 AM

I do think she could have finished a bit better with a hand pumping or once/twice whip ride. Maragh was holding the reins firmly down the stretch. A lot easier to run when a jock doesn't have a firm hold, I think.

tzipi
04-28-2014, 12:52 AM
I actually know this horse pretty well, she races good and then you can't find her with a telescope and you think she's virtually broken down and you'll never see her again and wallah, here she comes raging at a big price. Odd horse, not sure why the massive form reversals with her, but they're there for some reason.

You think she will get a bit more of an aggressive ride next out. Not all out aggressive, but more urging and they'll have her win at a price? She was just firmly held to an out of the money finish today. Well see.

the little guy
04-28-2014, 08:22 AM
I talked about her quite a bit on Talking Horses, as I have MANY times in the past. She's a very temperamental horse that is discouraged by ANY inconvenience.

My recommendation? View money bet on her as a takeout reduction and continue to play against her. She can, and will, get parts of the Super at times, but she consistently runs worse than her odds.

devilsbag
04-28-2014, 01:04 PM
I do think she could have finished a bit better with a hand pumping or once/twice whip ride.

For a filly, it's likely she would have sulked, then after the race called a blacksmith and run up the owner's credit card.

For a colt, I think that would result in a happier ending.