PDA

View Full Version : Why are "WE" mad at Donald Sterling?

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 05:28 AM
So, this entire Donald Sterling (Clippers owner) thing has me thinking (wood burning smell!) of this question i want to ask you.

If you are one of the people who find his comments either inappropriate, offensive or bother you in some way, i'd like to ask why. Why does what Donald Sterling thinks matter?

Are we as a society saying that we are mad at you Donald Sterling for not living your life the way we would live our lives? Is that what the people who are mad at him are essentially saying?

If he wants to be a racist slimeball, why are we trying to stop him and why do we care one way or another?

Dark Horse
04-27-2014, 05:40 AM
Whatever he thinks, it's certainly not world news. But the mainstream media sure make it seem that way, don't they? The question is why, especially when they purposefully ignore far more important matters. The mainstream media have become a propaganda machine. They're not about presenting the news, but about controlling opinions and emotions. Anytime the masses are being played by these false media, with something that just seems too obvious, take a step back and a moment to reflect.

hcap
04-27-2014, 06:06 AM
You can choose to ignore it. Rather ironic for black players.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_ethnicity_in_the_NBA

Tom
04-27-2014, 09:13 AM
It has not been verified it was he who really said it, but all the networks are broadcasting it.

That is what I find disturbing about it.

Robert Goren
04-27-2014, 09:59 AM
Because the way to get rid of racists is the shine the light on them. They can only operate and spread their venom in the dark.

delayjf
04-27-2014, 10:16 AM
If uttering a racial expression makes one a racist - then we are all racists.

hcap
04-27-2014, 10:17 AM
If uttering a racial expression makes one a racist - then we are all racists.Speak for yourself.

delayjf
04-27-2014, 10:22 AM
Ha Ha, you know its true.

Robert Fischer
04-27-2014, 10:23 AM
Humans are some funny animals.

We have all these morals, yet our power-system is driven in large part by zero-sum cannibalism.

Then we love to "dehumanize" outsiders in order to justify our morality system within that cannibalistic system.
Whether it be on the basis of wealth, nationality, religion, race, etc... we don't care as long as it makes those other humans "bad" or less human! :D

Whatever he thinks, it's certainly not world news. But the mainstream media sure make it seem that way, don't they? The question is why, especially when they purposefully ignore far more important matters. The mainstream media have become a propaganda machine. They're not about presenting the news, but about controlling opinions and emotions. Anytime the masses are being played by these false media, with something that just seems too obvious, take a step back and a moment to reflect.

Media seems to have 2 functions:
1. Propaganda
2. Drive-Revenue

Tom
04-27-2014, 10:29 AM
Because the way to get rid of racists is the shine the light on them. They can only operate and spread their venom in the dark.

Who got hurt by his comments?

classhandicapper
04-27-2014, 10:44 AM
If you listen to the comments very carefully, you can come away with the impression that he was more concerned with getting phone calls from either friends or business associates who might be racists than he was about who she was actually hanging around with or sleeping with.

If that's true, you can still question his judgment for hanging out and doing business with such people.

But there is a subtle distinction between not wanting her to associate with and bring black people to the arena because he's hates them and not wanting to field questions from business associates about why his supposed girlfriend is hanging out with famous black people. It sounded like he just wanted her life to remain more private because he's a public figure and known to be seeing her.

hcap
04-27-2014, 11:14 AM
..you can come away with the impression that he was more concerned with getting phone calls from either friends or business associates who might be racists than he was about who she was actually hanging around with or sleeping with.
Not the impression I got.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/04/26/donald_sterling_los_angeles_clippers_owner_forbids _girlfriend_from_bringing.html

AndyC
04-27-2014, 11:52 AM

The obvious answer is Donald Sterling but the image and perception of all NBA team owners will tainted if Sterling is allowed to continue his ownership.

First amendment rights carry consequences.

Tom
04-27-2014, 12:00 PM

Is it first amendment here, or violation of privacy?
What was said was not meant not be public, and is that you have as who got hurt?

Clocker
04-27-2014, 12:20 PM
If you are one of the people who find his comments either inappropriate, offensive or bother you in some way, i'd like to ask why. Why does what Donald Sterling thinks matter?

The irony here is all the people, including players, saying that this is inappropriate for the NBA. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone ever even imply that anything could be inappropriate for the NBA.

AndyC
04-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Is it first amendment here, or violation of privacy?
What was said was not meant not be public, and is that you have as who got hurt?

Good point. But assuming the words were, in fact, spoken by Donald Sterling should he still have to face the consequences of his words or should he get a pass.

Someone who probably paid dearly for a private quote gone public was Romney when he talked about the 47%.

classhandicapper
04-27-2014, 12:38 PM
Not the impression I got.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2014/04/26/donald_sterling_los_angeles_clippers_owner_forbids _girlfriend_from_bringing.html

That's why I said you have to listen carefully. I assumed most people wouldn't.

My guess is that there was some editing done to that recording because that woman has an agenda, but that's another issue.

He clearly stated at one point that he didn't like hearing from other people about it and talked about some people having certain views. When combined with saying he doesn't care what she does privately (including sleeping with back men like Magic while involved with him) the overall impression changes.

classhandicapper
04-27-2014, 12:40 PM
The irony here is all the people, including players, saying that this is inappropriate for the NBA. This is the first time I have ever heard anyone ever even imply that anything could be inappropriate for the NBA.

Shaq, Kenny, and Charles have said racist things on TNT and NBATV. The context is usually comedy (which is partly why they do and should get a pass), but I guarantee you if it was a white panel that said some of same things those guys have said the reaction would be different. They have implied differences between white and black players (while of course being favorable to blacks).

You could just imagine what a white guy could say that has a statistical basis in reality that would get him fired for making generalities about backgrounds, culture, behavior, etc... and how those things impact teams.

Clocker
04-27-2014, 01:08 PM
You could just imagine what a white guy could say that has a statistical basis in reality that would get him fired for making generalities about backgrounds, culture, behavior, etc... and how those things impact teams.

Remember what happened to Limbaugh on ESPN when he said that Donovan McNabb was overrated?

Tom
04-27-2014, 01:14 PM
Remember what happened to Limbaugh on ESPN when he said that Donovan McNabb was overrated?

Yes, small minds prevailed.
The reaction against him was a disgrace to a supposedly free country.
It underscore what the liberal lifestyle is all about - hatred, fear, intolerance.

Makes you ashamed to call yourself an American.
Most idiots out there have no clue what he really sad of the context in which he said it, but still condemn him for it. Lock-step little morons.

Dark Horse
04-27-2014, 01:57 PM
It really doesn't matter what people say or think in private. But America is starting to forget that. Obviously, if any NBA owner truly couldn't stand black people they wouldn't be in the basketball business in the first place. I'm noticing, in the Obama administration, an unbalanced interest in bringing racial (always black) issues to the foreground. That's the main reason I don't trust the motivation behind this media assault. I don't trust the agenda, the apparent need to force feed this topic down our throats; typical Obama style.

The great majority of us are not racist. And the great majority of us may, at one time or another, have spoken in a manner that could be judged as racist by those looking to interpret it as such. I'd rather live in a country where we live and let live, and give each other room for error, than in a country where we're at each other's throat for saying something inappropriate.

Clocker
04-27-2014, 02:02 PM
Obviously, if any NBA owner truly couldn't stand black people they wouldn't be in the basketball business in the first place.

Or have a black girl friend. :rolleyes:

JustRalph
04-27-2014, 02:30 PM

Oh yeah, right........you are kidding right?

Robert Goren
04-27-2014, 02:40 PM
It really doesn't matter what people say or think in private. But America is starting to forget that. Obviously, if any NBA owner truly couldn't stand black people they wouldn't be in the basketball business in the first place. I'm noticing, in the Obama administration, an unbalanced interest in bringing racial (always black) issues to the foreground. That's the main reason I don't trust the motivation behind this media assault. I don't trust the agenda, the apparent need to force feed this topic down our throats; typical Obama style.

The great majority of us are not racist. And the great majority of us may, at one time or another, have spoken in a manner that could be judged as racist by those looking to interpret it as such. I'd rather live in a country where we live and let live, and give each other room for error, than in a country where we're at each other's throat for saying something inappropriate.I don't that the great majority of us are not racist. I am not even sure there is majority of us who aren't. I offer up as proof so many politicians that are seeking racist votes by making thinly disguised racist statements. Some of you might not these statements are racist but the racist knows they are appealing to him.
The attack on racism did not begin until the 1960s and it is impossible that we have wipe it out in fifty years.

Clocker
04-27-2014, 02:51 PM
I don't that the great majority of us are not racist. I am not even sure there is majority of us who aren't.

Racism is a specific form of prejudice. Everyone has prejudices. Some people are even prejudiced against people that go to parochial schools.

You can't outlaw prejudice. The only issue is to make sure that prejudice does not infringe on the rights of others.

Marshall Bennett
04-27-2014, 03:30 PM
Not defending the dude's ignorance, but certainly appears as a set-up to me. Wouldn't blacks refer to this a "racial profiling", or some other defense using their race as an intended target?
Of course had the roles been reversed and a black had made such remarks about whites or hispanics, we wouldn't even be discussing it.

HUSKER55
04-27-2014, 04:02 PM
THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORK FOR HIM.

Clocker
04-27-2014, 04:18 PM
THEY DON'T HAVE TO WORK FOR HIM.

That's right. ObamaCare freed then all from job-lock. :p

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 04:58 PM
The obvious answer is Donald Sterling but the image and perception of all NBA team owners will tainted if Sterling is allowed to continue his ownership.

Is there really anyone who is "holding" his comments against people who didnt actually make them? When they say he gives the "league" a black eye, don't 100% of us realize this is all on him personally and has nothing to do with the NBA or any of its other owners?

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 05:05 PM

The great majority of us are not racist. And the great majority of us may, at one time or another, have spoken in a manner that could be judged as racist by those looking to interpret it as such. I'd rather live in a country where we live and let live, and give each other room for error, than in a country where we're at each other's throat for saying something inappropriate.

You say "the great majority of us are not racist" and that's probably true, but i think that even the small minority of racists out there, and my original question was this, why is there such an outcry to change the behavior of people to conform to the "non racists" way of thinking?

What are we really going to accomplish by bring Paula Deen, Donald Sterling and others "to their knees"?

Also, isnt some of the outrage "fake"? After all, famous rappers like Snoop Dogg and Jay Z use the N word in their songs, they use that word for "Cred" so they can sell records, sell downloads and whatnut, so to me, i think that you can't have it both ways, you can't be singing about N this and N that and when when someone says the word out of the context of a song, or someone of another race says it, all hell breaks loose and the people who are not black who use the N word are automatically branded lower than child molesters.

I'm not a person who uses the word, but if you use the word continually and PROFIT off the use of the word in song, you can't act all outraged if someone else says the word.

Tom
04-27-2014, 05:11 PM
That's right. ObamaCare freed then all from job-lock. :p
Stop bouncing those balls,
Stay home,
within your halls,
You can all be poets,
And you all no's its!
Ignore the big bucks,
when they calls.

delayjf
04-27-2014, 05:55 PM
Sterling was such a racist that the NAACP was going to give him a lifetime achievement award. :lol:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-naacp-award

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 06:08 PM
Sterling was such a racist that the NAACP was going to give him a lifetime achievement award. :lol:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/donald-sterling-los-angeles-clippers-naacp-award

So, according to the NAACP, he was NOT a racist for 79 years and 364 days, but in the last 2 days, he's become the worst racist on the planet, lower than low, worse than a child molester worse than anyone who walked the planet.

Worst guy ever because he told his "mistress" to not bring blacks to games.

Is it possible that the people she was bringing to the games were "gang bangers" and not successful black businessmen wearing 3k suits and he didnt want the "gang bangers" at the games and it was not a "black" thing but a "thug" thing?

thaskalos
04-27-2014, 06:30 PM
People feel what they feel...and that's alright by me. As long as they keep their inappropriate feelings private...I have no real objection to their point of view. I've been around long enough to know that you can't change people's opinion on certain things...no matter how hard you try. Sterling at least made his comments under the expectation of privacy...so you can't accuse him of flaunting his racial prejudice.

Secretly recording someone during his private moments is inappropriate too...

Tom
04-27-2014, 06:43 PM

They still will give to him.
But they changed the venue to Cracker Barrel!

AndyC
04-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Is there really anyone who is "holding" his comments against people who didnt actually make them? When they say he gives the "league" a black eye, don't 100% of us realize this is all on him personally and has nothing to do with the NBA or any of its other owners?

By ownership of the Clippers Sterling is in business with all the other owners. Tolerating Sterling's attitude is OK in personal life but in business it means that you share or tacitly approve of his position.

Tom
04-27-2014, 07:18 PM
No it doesn't.

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 07:19 PM
By ownership of the Clippers Sterling is in business with all the other owners. Tolerating Sterling's attitude is OK in personal life but in business it means that you share or tacitly approve of his position.

Do you really think that Mark Cuban or some of the other owners "share" Sterlings ideas and points of view? I don't think any other owners approve of this, but what can they do, its not like they can "kick him out" tomorrow.

Marshall Bennett
04-27-2014, 07:39 PM
You say "the great majority of us are not racist" and that's probably true, but i think that even the small minority of racists out there, and my original question was this, why is there such an outcry to change the behavior of people to conform to the "non racists" way of thinking?

What are we really going to accomplish by bring Paula Deen, Donald Sterling and others "to their knees"?

Also, isnt some of the outrage "fake"? After all, famous rappers like Snoop Dogg and Jay Z use the N word in their songs, they use that word for "Cred" so they can sell records, sell downloads and whatnut, so to me, i think that you can't have it both ways, you can't be singing about N this and N that and when when someone says the word out of the context of a song, or someone of another race says it, all hell breaks loose and the people who are not black who use the N word are automatically branded lower than child molesters.

I'm not a person who uses the word, but if you use the word continually and PROFIT off the use of the word in song, you can't act all outraged if someone else says the word.
Excellent post, all except your first line. I truly believe a degree of racism exist in most of us. Some are more willing to express it than others. Most here believe by now that I'm one of them. I really don't care. I've never accused their entire race of being bad people Bad exist in every race.
What I have a problem with is any race having a leg-up on what they're allowed to say or do. Black leaders believe they deserve that advantage over whites, and have an agenda to see they get and keep it. I believe that to be totally unreasonable and until that changes and there is no advantage. I'm not changing my attitude one bit.

Tom
04-27-2014, 08:51 PM
Obama said about this that if people want to sow of their ignorance, we just let them keep talking.

I believe him.
It explains the Reverend Wright, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid.....
Two things Obama know a lot about - racism and ignorance.

Tell me how this comment, given in private, is more damaging than the POTUS using the phrase typical white person?

horses4courses
04-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Many people around here would echo those sentiments, no?

"I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"

Relwob Owner
04-27-2014, 09:21 PM
Many people around here would echo those sentiments, no?

"I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have -- Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game?"

Giving means to provide something and not expect anything in return. He doesn't give these guys anything. He pays them so that they can generate revenue for him. Just one part of his rant that makes no sense to me.

In response to the original question of "why do we care?". Well, its pretty simple. When people say or do something that we disagree with, we usually have an opinion and care about and respond to it. Nowhere is that more evident than the 6 zillion posts by the thread starter......

cj's dad
04-27-2014, 10:03 PM
http://www.blackpeoplemeet.com/

Double standards every f----ng day of my life ! Carry on !

JustRalph
04-28-2014, 01:07 AM

Care to elaborate? Guilty by association? In business? Is that your point?

JustRalph
04-28-2014, 01:14 AM
http://www.blackpeoplemeet.com/

Double standards every f----ng day of my life ! Carry on !

Tons of examples out there. Tom's post below is in line with that thinking

Obama said about this that if people want to sow of their ignorance, we just let them keep talking.

I believe him.
It explains the Reverend Wright, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid.....
Two things Obama know a lot about - racism and ignorance.

Tell me how this comment, given in private, is more damaging than the POTUS using the phrase typical white person?

If some of these indignant celebs want to go Down this road, as in criticize this guy publicly etc, you better be careful. Lots of double standards out there

PaceAdvantage
04-28-2014, 02:26 AM

I'm not a person who uses the word, but if you use the word continually and PROFIT off the use of the word in song, you can't act all outraged if someone else says the word.Use of that word is the least of his problems, no? And did he even use the word? I didn't care enough to bother to listen to the audio...if it even exists...I don't know... :lol:

Dark Horse
04-28-2014, 05:27 AM
As I suspected. This is why the mainstream media are all over it. And I can say so because they continuously ignore important issues in favor of political propaganda. This one fits Barry's agenda.

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia (AP) -- President Barack Obama said Sunday that comments reportedly made by the owner of a U.S. pro basketball team are "incredibly offensive racist statements," before casting them as part of a continuing legacy of slavery and segregation that Americans must confront.

"When ignorant folks want to advertise their ignorance, you don't really have to do anything, you just let them talk," Obama said when asked to respond to the reported comments from Los Angeles Clippers' owner Donald Sterling.

Obama's description of the controversy as part of a larger historical context is the latest example of his continuing willingness to expound on matters of race in his second term.

After avoiding much mention of race relations during his campaign to become the first black president and in his first term, the president last summer offered a personal reflection in response to the shooting of black teenager Trayvon Martin. And now Obama has spoken out against an audio recording of a man identified as Sterling telling his girlfriend not to bring black people to games.

Right Barry. This is 'part of a continuing legacy of slavery'. Anybody who criticizes you must be racist as well, right? Isn't that your point, now that so many of your former adoring fans look straight through your BS?

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 05:46 AM
As I suspected. This is why the mainstream media are all over it. And I can say so because they continuously ignore important issues in favor of political propaganda. This one fits Barry's agenda.

Right Barry. This is 'part of a continuing legacy of slavery'. Anybody who criticizes you must be racist as well, right? Isn't that your point, now that so many of your former adoring fans look straight through your BS?

I was hoping this thread wouldn't turn into a Bash Barry thread, but since its here, we may as well go with it!

You would think that as the President of ALL people, he would have denounced the behavior of the men who killed the Aussie baseball player Christopher Lane and the men who killed Delbert Shorty Belton, but he was too busy denouncing the behavior of George Zimmerman to have bothered with the other guys? That's the part that kind of irks me a little bit.

Know what i'm saying?

You have the Jesse Jackson's and the Al Sharptons who come out of the woodwork and try to essentially bury anyone who says ANYTHING negative about blacks, but there's no "white version" of Sharpton who comes out and goes nuts against Blacks who do offensive stuff. There was no "white sharpton" who was rallying people against the criminals who killed Chris Lane, they did some job on Zimmerman.....he can't even go out in public even though the US Court system acquitted him.

Dark Horse
04-28-2014, 05:59 AM
I was just wondering, as soon as this came out, why this was so big. I suspected Barry loved it, and he didn't take too long to confirm that. I don't mean to turn it into a bash-barry thread. To me it's about basic freedoms and respect for all. And I don't see Barry respecting journalists who ask hard questions and might pry too deep. For larger context:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2014/04/13/sharyl-attkisson-tells-fox-book-will-focus-obamas-aggressive-campaign-ob

Another true journalist bites the dust. Isn't that more serious and far-reaching than Sterling's comments?

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 06:29 AM
I was just wondering, as soon as this came out, why this was so big. I suspected Barry loved it, and he didn't take too long to confirm that. I don't mean to turn it into a bash-barry thread. To me it's about basic freedoms and respect for all. And I don't see Barry respecting journalists who ask hard questions and might pry too deep. For larger context:

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/tim-graham/2014/04/13/sharyl-attkisson-tells-fox-book-will-focus-obamas-aggressive-campaign-ob

Another true journalist bites the dust. Isn't that more serious and far-reaching than Sterling's comments?

It only seems to be "big" when a black person is "wronged". When people of other races are wronged, nobody is out there marching, or caring, or anything. There's no white version of Sharpton whipping up outrage at "injustices" against their race....seems like only Blacks have "cheerleaders" who whip people up in a frenzy and try to bury and ruin the lives of anyone who gets in their way.

There are a lot of things worse than what a deranged old man says or thinks about anything, i know i haven't lost a wink of sleep because of Donald Sterling.

CryingForTheHorses
04-28-2014, 09:35 AM
So, this entire Donald Sterling (Clippers owner) thing has me thinking (wood burning smell!) of this question i want to ask you.

Are we as a society saying that we are mad at you Donald Sterling for not living your life the way we would live our lives? Is that what the people who are mad at him are essentially saying?

If he wants to be a racist slimeball, why are we trying to stop him and why do we care one way or another?

In all honesty,Who cares what he said!..You cant control what people say or what they do..Yes they are hurtful comments but you have to look at where they came from..The media and now the "Prez" chiming in about "Poor Me" the africian american!..WTF..Would anything be said if this guy had said "Dont bring any white people to the game? or any koreans,or any chineese people.People will say what they want when they want,I dont agree with what he said but I sure wont lose any sleep over it..He made his bed and now he sleeps in it..If this is bothering people then they themselves are very paranoid IMO

johnhannibalsmith
04-28-2014, 11:20 AM
Surprise, surprise, a rich white guy born in the 1930's didn't get the memo that you can't even be a racist on the phone with your "girlfriend".

The guy is scurvy, the call is pathetic, and now that we've taken our several days worth of attention span to make this the most important thing to happen to race relations since last week... can we spare a sliver of outrage and hostility for the scummy person that "narrated" this phone call? I don't like anything the guy said, but I can't quite just get past the fact that this call just goes on and on and on and the whole thing feels like some sort of extortion plot and that makes me about as uncomfortable as his archaic statements.

AndyC
04-28-2014, 11:46 AM
Care to elaborate? Guilty by association? In business? Is that your point?

The owners are in business with Sterling. The Clippers don't operate in a vacuum. The owners would only be guilty of association if they did nothing about it.

Valuist
04-28-2014, 11:59 AM
The owners are in business with Sterling. The Clippers don't operate in a vacuum. The owners would only be guilty of association if they did nothing about it.

That's ridiculous. Did Sterling say he was speaking on behalf of the other owners? And has it been proven that it actually was Sterling who was speaking?

magwell
04-28-2014, 12:06 PM
The NBA knew all about this creep for years, didn't say a word, all of a sudden the whole country's in a uproar, time for rev Al to show up to beat the drums.............:rolleyes:

TJDave
04-28-2014, 12:20 PM

The NBA should force Sterling to sell the franchise he bought for 12 million and is now valued at over 500 million.

That'll learn him.

AndyC
04-28-2014, 12:23 PM
That's ridiculous. Did Sterling say he was speaking on behalf of the other owners? And has it been proven that it actually was Sterling who was speaking?

Of course Sterling wasn't speaking on behalf of the other owners but if you don't think that the other owners won't be affected by the comments you are mistaken. If the NBA owners are perceived as being tolerant of such attitudes I can see a political circus resulting. After all, it is an election year and what could be better for a struggling political party than to go after a bunch of rich owners over a racial issue?

My first statement in this topic had a qualifier regarding whether or not Sterling actually made the statements.

AndyC
04-28-2014, 12:26 PM
The NBA should force Sterling to sell the franchise he bought for 12 million and is now valued at over 500 million.

That'll learn him.

Just think of the Obamacare taxes he would have to pay on that gain.

Dark Horse
04-28-2014, 12:50 PM
It only seems to be "big" when a black person is "wronged". When people of other races are wronged, nobody is out there marching, or caring, or anything. There's no white version of Sharpton whipping up outrage at "injustices" against their race....seems like only Blacks have "cheerleaders" who whip people up in a frenzy and try to bury and ruin the lives of anyone who gets in their way.

There are a lot of things worse than what a deranged old man says or thinks about anything, i know i haven't lost a wink of sleep because of Donald Sterling.

It's a forced narrative. But that's nothing new with the mainstream media these days. Same thing with the Ukraine narrative. They force feed these narratives down our throats, and most people don't realize it's propaganda, rather than news.

Dark Horse
04-28-2014, 12:59 PM
Oh, look who's moving in to buy up the Clippers..

Magic Johnson. I never took him for a vulture. And all under the banner of political correctness. :rolleyes:

http://www.businessinsider.com/magic-johnson-purchase-clippers-2014-4

FantasticDan
04-28-2014, 01:38 PM
I know as a white man that when I experience the demeaning prejudices and racism of others (a high-profile instance like this, or otherwise), it tends to hit hard because this country has a long, bloody history of suppressing, subjugating, and tormenting my people. When I hear about the media and Obama creating their false narratives about Sterling and the things he allegedly said about blacks, it really gets under my skin. What about the whites and all our struggles? Why don't people have any context? So many double standards.

AndyC
04-28-2014, 01:40 PM

Magic Johnson. I never took him for a vulture. And all under the banner of political correctness. :rolleyes:

Wasn't he a vulture in the Dodgers sale? Not that there is anything wrong with that.

DJofSD
04-28-2014, 01:44 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/04/28/donald-sterling-costs-clippers-state-farm-sponsorship/

Better late than never?

LottaKash
04-28-2014, 01:55 PM
I
Know what i'm saying?

You have the Jesse Jackson's and the Al Sharptons who come out of the woodwork and try to essentially bury anyone who says ANYTHING negative about blacks, but there's no "white version" of Sharpton who comes out and goes nuts against Blacks who do offensive stuff. .

I know what you are saying....:D

http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/pp137/lottakash/tawanabrawleyandfriends_zpsdac3d715.jpg (http://s405.photobucket.com/user/lottakash/media/tawanabrawleyandfriends_zpsdac3d715.jpg.html)

Tom
04-28-2014, 02:17 PM

Almost as if he planned this, huh?

Tom
04-28-2014, 02:19 PM
I know as a white man that when I experience the demeaning prejudices and racism of others (a high-profile instance like this, or otherwise), it tends to hit hard because this country has a long, bloody history of suppressing, subjugating, and tormenting my people. When I hear about the media and Obama creating their false narratives about Sterling and the things he allegedly said about blacks, it really gets under my skin. What about the whites and all our struggles? Why don't people have any context? So many double standards.

We shall overcome, brother.:rolleyes:

cj's dad
04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
We all know that what Sterling was ignorant, racist and just plain dumb. His words hurt nothing but others feelings, yet politicians, reporters, commentators are coming out of the woodwork to get their face time on TV.

Where is the local and national outrage over things such as this; 7 teens murdered in cold blood in Baltimore since 1/1/14? The latest being a 14 year old shot in the head while sitting in his home. The one before a 17 year old, ROTC member and heading to college in NC next September. Every one of the 7 was an Af.-American. The areas in which they were shot heavily indicate that the murders were black on black crimes.

To sum up, Sterling is a total a--hole and deserves criticism and possibly censure from his peers but in the grand scheme of things there are bigger fish to fry in the A-A community.

Poindexter
04-28-2014, 03:21 PM

Everybody that is black. They have to relive in their mind the horrific history in this country of extreme racism that they, their parents and grandparents... had/have to endure(obviously a lot less now than before), and that as we as a country try to advance past it this is just a really ugly reminder that there is still a big group of people (maybe even a few in this thread) that are "too good" or "dont want to be seen" with them simply because of the color of their skin. I guess some of you would need to live it to know what it feels like(which is pretty sad).

Now I realize his rant is a bit odd. He hires black coaches and gms, gives away tickets to inner city kids (though I am sure there were alterior tax motives to that) and even has a half black GF, but so did evil, hateful plantation owners of the past-so that doesn't prove much. He even says in the tape he loves black people and minorities.... This guy has always had a reputation of being a slumlord (which affects a lot more races than just black people-of course this is all heresay at this point but I am sure the press will dig up something). I think his type of racisim is more the privileged "white folks" get to sit in the board of the directors room while the minorities should never get beyond the grandstand. You would have hoped given his jewish heritage that he would be a little more sensitive to the issues, but sadly not.

By the way there is a lot more to come out. TMZ reported today that the attorneys for the girl claim there are 100 hours of tape and some craziness such as she is archiving his life for a book. So this gets even stranger and I am assuming a lot worse will come out.

For all of you that have a problem with the media shining a huge light on these types of stories, you are being selfish. It is for the good of everyone that we curb any type of rasicm. As far as the "double standard" I do not think it is that big of a deal to live with.

classhandicapper
04-28-2014, 03:35 PM
Almost as if he planned this, huh?

As soon as I read that Sterling had bought this woman loads of very expensive gifts (presumably as an incentive to sleep with an old man) and then she turned around and recorded a conversation that almost seemed scripted to make him seem as bad as possible, my first instinct was that there was something going on that we didn't know about yet. Either she was looking to make more money or get revenge for something he did.

When I saw that Magic was interested in buying the Clippers, he was hanging out with this woman, and now he is calling for Sterling to sell the team.....well I couldn't help at least thinking the worst.

TJDave
04-28-2014, 03:44 PM
Everybody that is black.

And Jewish.

classhandicapper
04-28-2014, 03:49 PM
Now I realize his rant is a bit odd. He hires black coaches and gms, gives away tickets to inner city kids (though I am sure there were alterior tax motives to that) and even has a half black GF, but so did evil, hateful plantation owners of the past-so that doesn't prove much. He even says in the tape he loves black people and minorities....

I said this earlier in the thread. I came away from it thinking it was possible he didn't care one bit what was going on in her life privately. He just didn't like to see her in public with these guys because he didn't like hearing about it and responding to others about his "supposed girlfriend" hanging out with Magic and other celebrity black men. He clearly says something along those lines.

It could be that on some level he didn't like responding to the racism of others or that he felt like a fool for buying her all kinds of gifts and then she's hanging out with notoriously aggressive black celebrities making him look like a complete idiot. He may not mind being an idiot privately, but publicly?

It would be more revealing if she was also hanging out publicly and posting pictures with some white guys that have a reputation for being womanizers. I'd like to hear what he thought about that.

Tom
04-28-2014, 03:50 PM
For all of you that have a problem with the media shining a huge light on these types of stories, you are being selfish. It is for the good of everyone that we curb any type of racism. As far as the "double standard" I do not think it is that big of a deal to live with.

If you want to curb "any type of racism" go ahead and try.
But then you need to go after the media, because it is THEY, not him who is spreading it. HE said it in private. Up until this weekend, the NAACP ( a racist organization, correct?) was prepared to give the guy an award. Now suddenly people are suffering? No one alive today owned slaved and no one alive today was a slave. So no one is "reliving slavery." If you want to curb racism, the only way to do so is to get over stupid stuff like this. And as far as double standards go, I find them a huge deal, especially when they involve a racist president who shouts off his mouth before it is even verified who said it. You don't curb racism when you allow double standards.

ronsmac
04-28-2014, 04:18 PM
Or have a black girl friend. :rolleyes:I know an irish american guy wholoves black and Puerto Rican women as sex objects, but has said some of the most the rocket story saying about black and Puerto Rican in general. It's really not all that uncommon. when it comes to women, even slave masters had sex with their slaves. aa lot of men don't see color when it comes to what they think is a young and sexy chick or just their lust in general.

ronsmac
04-28-2014, 04:20 PM
That should have been, said some of the most derogatory things about black and puerto Ricans

DJofSD
04-28-2014, 04:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3B0Y3LUqr1Q

TJDave
04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
What better way for a rich white man to show his disdain for black men then to keep a black woman as his mistress?

cj's dad
04-28-2014, 04:42 PM
Does the same wisdom apply for rich black men who are married to or have relationships with white women ? Are they also showing disdain ?

TJDave
04-28-2014, 04:56 PM
Does the same wisdom apply for rich black men who are married to or have relationships with white women ? Are they also showing disdain ?

Generally speaking, that would be my guess. Certainly with respect to 'kept women'.

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 05:22 PM
Surprise, surprise, a rich white guy born in the 1930's didn't get the memo that you can't even be a racist on the phone with your "girlfriend".

The guy is scurvy, the call is pathetic, and now that we've taken our several days worth of attention span to make this the most important thing to happen to race relations since last week... can we spare a sliver of outrage and hostility for the scummy person that "narrated" this phone call? I don't like anything the guy said, but I can't quite just get past the fact that this call just goes on and on and on and the whole thing feels like some sort of extortion plot and that makes me about as uncomfortable as his archaic statements.

No doubt, she's not even getting 1 speck of "backlash" for secretly recording someone....maybe we as a nation think this is ok, you know, secret recordings.

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 05:24 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/04/28/donald-sterling-costs-clippers-state-farm-sponsorship/

Better late than never?

You mean Cliff Paul, Chris Paul's alter ego, is no more? :bang:

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 05:26 PM
What better way for a rich white man to show his disdain for black men then to keep a black woman as his mistress?

And play blacks millions to play. Nobody forced him to draft Blake Griffin, he could have hired all white players to play..you know, if he was this bad of a racist.

TJDave
04-28-2014, 05:44 PM
he could have hired all white players to play..you know, if he was this bad of a racist.

Where's the fun in that...with him sitting courtside with his girl? :lol:

TJDave
04-28-2014, 05:54 PM
maybe we as a nation think this is ok, you know, secret recordings.

This isn't the first time this schmuck has been caught saying ****. You would think he would have learned his lesson.

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 06:03 PM
This isn't the first time this schmuck has been caught saying ****. You would think he would have learned his lesson.

When you have a billion+ you can sort of do or say whatever you want and there's not a heck of a lot anyone can do about it. So, we are going to slap his knuckles with a ruler and say "naughty boy, you need to love everyone"?

I think there is too many people getting "up in arms" about what this guy says or thinks, life's too short to lose one wink of sleep over this.

TJDave
04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
When you have a billion+ you can sort of do or say whatever you want and there's not a heck of a lot anyone can do about it. So, we are going to slap his knuckles with a ruler and say "naughty boy, you need to love everyone"?

I think there is too many people getting "up in arms" about what this guy says or thinks, life's too short to lose one wink of sleep over this.

It's all theater. I do enjoy thinking he might be squirming being it's obvious he's concerned with image.

I just wish his parents weren't Jewish. :blush:

woodtoo
04-28-2014, 06:22 PM
I'm Stillnotriledup about the lady and the schmuck.

Mike at A+
04-28-2014, 06:33 PM
It has not been verified it was he who really said it, but all the networks are broadcasting it.

That is what I find disturbing about it.
Exactly what I said. It's amazing that the media is running with an unverified tape supposedly recorded by a "scorned woman". Actually, not that amazing. That's what media does. I posted in another thread ...

One thing no one seems to be considering is the possibility that Sterling may deny everything and say this "woman" fabricated the entire thing. She has a tape and she is claiming that Sterling is on it. If he denies that it's him is the NBA willing to risk a HUGE law suit on the authenticity of an audio tape?

Sterling hasn't said anything as far as I know. And as any good lawyer will tell his client, say nothing. But I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Is the NBA willing to take action without being 100% sure it's him? No crime has been committed so I don't see law enforcement getting involved. The NBA could hire "experts" to analyze the tape but as long as there is the slightest possibility that the tape isn't authentic I could see him using that as a defense and filing a huge law suit if the NBA takes any action based on the tape. Also the motive has to be considered as well. The "woman scorned" scenario. With his money he could ruin this woman. And if it turns out that she is here illegally that's another consideration. I'm not implying that in any way but it's something to consider.

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Exactly what I said. It's amazing that the media is running with an unverified tape supposedly recorded by a "scorned woman". Actually, not that amazing. That's what media does. I posted in another thread ...

One thing no one seems to be considering is the possibility that Sterling may deny everything and say this "woman" fabricated the entire thing. She has a tape and she is claiming that Sterling is on it. If he denies that it's him is the NBA willing to risk a HUGE law suit on the authenticity of an audio tape?

Sterling hasn't said anything as far as I know. And as any good lawyer will tell his client, say nothing. But I'm just playing devil's advocate here. Is the NBA willing to take action without being 100% sure it's him? No crime has been committed so I don't see law enforcement getting involved. The NBA could hire "experts" to analyze the tape but as long as there is the slightest possibility that the tape isn't authentic I could see him using that as a defense and filing a huge law suit if the NBA takes any action based on the tape. Also the motive has to be considered as well. The "woman scorned" scenario. With his money he could ruin this woman. And if it turns out that she is here illegally that's another consideration. I'm not implying that in any way but it's something to consider.

Also, the tape might not be admissible in a California court since it was recorded without consent of both parties.

classhandicapper
04-28-2014, 07:03 PM
No one is even considering the possibility that at this age Sterling is "losing" it and only playing with half a deck. The very fact that he's in his 80s buying some young woman supposedly over a million dollars worth of gifts (which his wife is suing to get back) is telling you this guy might be on the other side of rational.

woodtoo
04-28-2014, 07:15 PM
Well,if I had known he had a wife.....
my apologies to all the real ladies.

Robert Fischer
04-28-2014, 07:25 PM
this is good drama :D

I think Adam Silver is doing pretty well in handling this.

Stillriledup
04-28-2014, 07:28 PM
No one is even considering the possibility that at this age Sterling is "losing" it and only playing with half a deck. The very fact that he's in his 80s buying some young woman supposedly over a million dollars worth of gifts (which his wife is suing to get back) is telling you this guy might be on the other side of rational.

Interesting point you make, if there was a very old man who did something "odd" in public, you wouldnt really hold it as much against him as a much younger man would, old people can sort of get away with stuff and say things that younger men cannot say, yet, in this case, we are really holding Sterling to a standard of a 40 or 50 year old man, doesn't he get a "pass" for being really old? Or, do you lose that "pass" if you have a lot of money?

horses4courses
04-28-2014, 07:42 PM
Report on Forbes magazine that Sterling will be suspended by NBA tomorrow.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/leighsteinberg/2014/04/28/nba-commissioner-adam-silver-will-suspend-los-angeles-clippers-owner-donald-sterling-tomorrow/

NJ Stinks
04-28-2014, 10:43 PM

I've thought about the "half a deck". Anybody his age gets the benefit of the doubt from me. In this case the doubt means I doubt he would have been stupid enough to get into this mess in years past.

Anyway, if the offended but still playing Clippers really want to get back at the boss, really try to advance in the playoffs instead of sulking. No way the story dies if they do.

Tom
04-28-2014, 11:30 PM

Yes, and it was not a secret, either.
Yet the NAACP was STILL going to give him an awards, and guess who else - who absolutely knew about the past occurrences - was going to be at the same ceremony as this horrible old man?

Al Sharpton.

Guess old Al is not as down for the cause as he claims to be.
He was willing to share the stage with this racist until it was made public.

You judge a man by what he does, not what he says or what he thinks.
No one was hurt by those comments. People got pissed off, they got their feathers ruffled, but hurt? No.

As long as people react like this, the racist win.
You will never get rid of people's biases and thoughts.
And as long we have totally irresponsible media, you are going hear about it.
Racism will not die until people rise above it.

TJDave
04-29-2014, 01:06 AM
Yes, and it was not a secret, either.
Yet the NAACP was STILL going to give him an awards, and guess who else - who absolutely knew about the past occurrences - was going to be at the same ceremony as this horrible old man?

Al Sharpton.

I have news:

This wouldn't have been the first time the NAACP honored Sterling.

They gave him their Presidents Award in 2008.

Stillriledup
04-29-2014, 06:32 AM
Bomani Jones UNLOADS.

Great listen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bLKe9-Mto

Poindexter
04-29-2014, 08:02 AM
If you want to curb "any type of racism" go ahead and try.
But then you need to go after the media, because it is THEY, not him who is spreading it. HE said it in private. Up until this weekend, the NAACP ( a racist organization, correct?) was prepared to give the guy an award. Now suddenly people are suffering? No one alive today owned slaved and no one alive today was a slave. So no one is "reliving slavery." If you want to curb racism, the only way to do so is to get over stupid stuff like this. And as far as double standards go, I find them a huge deal, especially when they involve a racist president who shouts off his mouth before it is even verified who said it. You don't curb racism when you allow double standards.

This goes far beyond slavery. Plenty of black people alive have undergone all kinds of abuses in their own life. It wasn't that long ago that a black man could not drive through Beverly Hills (or other communities) without getting pulled over and sometimes beat up for no reason. The civil rights movement was only 50 years ago. There is plenty of racism in society(it is just more subtle). As mentioned by CH, Sterlings reactions seem to be more a reaction to his perceived racism in his "circles" We just happen to get a tape of what you guys call a private conversation. I am sure a lot worse would come out if private conversations of other people were brought out in the public. For a society and community to rally against this type of behavior or thought process is a good thing. Hopefully it will help others with similar thoughts to see how wrong they are. If not they are at least learning that is no longer socially acceptable to have those types of views.

Regarding the NAACP, it is laughable that the honored him before and were getting ready to honor him again (lifetime achievement award no less). Just ridiculous. Plenty about him was common knowledge (it is just a little different hearing it straight out of his mouth) and there is absolutely not a reason in the world they should have ever done so. I assume money played a big role. They should be very embarrassed.

I will modify my comment about double standards. It doesn't bother me, but I see it bothers a lot of others. Obviously, it would be nice to progress to the point where there are no double standards and hopefully we will get there someday.

dartman51
04-29-2014, 10:48 AM
I find it odd that ALL the outrage is aimed at this old man, who obviously has issues, but nothing is being said about the ILLEGAL taping of a private conversation. I wonder if those expressing outrage and condemnation, would feel the same, if their PRIVATE conversations, with their spouse, girlfriend, or drinking buddy, were recorded, and then leaked for the whole world to hear. Just sayin'.

Tom
04-29-2014, 11:07 AM
Can you imagine the outcry if we got hold of a private Al Sharpton conversation?

Poindexter, I understand your positon, but I still say you have to decide how much you are going to let stuff like this get to you. You will never be liked by everyone ( ask me how I know this!) but you need to move ahead and embrace the majority of society who do not see you as not equal. Had he made those comments in public, I would say all bets are off - have at him.
But he said them in private, and probably was set up to do it by at least his girlfriend. SHE should be a target of people's rage for using race for her personal vendetta.

HUSKER55
04-29-2014, 11:57 AM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Clocker
04-29-2014, 01:15 PM
I find it odd that ALL the outrage is aimed at this old man, who obviously has issues, but nothing is being said about the ILLEGAL taping of a private conversation. I wonder if those expressing outrage and condemnation, would feel the same, if their PRIVATE conversations, with their spouse, girlfriend, or drinking buddy, were recorded, and then leaked for the whole world to hear. Just sayin'.

While condemning the owner, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (http://hotair.com/archives/2014/04/29/kareem-abdul-jabbar-why-arent-we-also-outraged-that-donald-sterling-was-secretly-recorded/) also brings up the privacy issue, and gives the little honey the back of his hand.

mostpost
04-29-2014, 02:36 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-bans-donald-sterling-for-life--fines-him--2-5-million-for-racial-comments-181803437.html

badcompany
04-29-2014, 02:40 PM
White liberals love stories like these which allow them to get up on their high horses and indulge their white guilt from the safety of their lily white neighborhoods. :ThmbUp:

TJDave
04-29-2014, 02:43 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-bans-donald-sterling-for-life--fines-him--2-5-million-for-racial-comments-181803437.html

Whoa!!!

He'll sue for gazillions.

Maybe that's what he wants?

Marshall Bennett
04-29-2014, 02:50 PM
Had Sterling been black, it wouldn't have mattered what he said anyway.

Clocker
04-29-2014, 02:51 PM
White liberals love stories like these which allow them to get up on their high horses and indulge their white guilt from the safety of their lily white neighborhoods. :ThmbUp:

They probably didn't realize that Sterling is a Democrat, and donates to the party, or he would have gotten a pass. He would have just been dismissed as another wacky old man like Harry Reid, who called Obama a "light-skinned" African American with "no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one". Or Joe Biden, who praised Obama as "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy".

FantasticDan
04-29-2014, 03:03 PM
They probably didn't realize that Sterling is a Democrat, and donates to the party, or he would have gotten a pass.He's a Republican. Not that it matters, just as the story suggests.

http://www.latimes.com/business/hiltzik/la-fi-mh-no-donald-sterling-20140428,0,6977964.column#axzz30IsWwwnc

JustRalph
04-29-2014, 03:40 PM
Guys with his money aren't Dems or Repubs. They play the field.... :lol:

I hope he sues

Dark Horse
04-29-2014, 03:41 PM
They celebrate it as a victory for human rights, not realizing they are cheering for a police state were private conversations are no longer private. And that police state is on well on its way, with the continuously expanding powers of the NSA.

This tape wouldn't even be admissible in court.

mostpost
04-29-2014, 05:21 PM
The first amendment does not guarantee you the right to say anything you want without consequences.
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
Those first five words are very important. They are a limitation on Congress, on the government. Nothing in the first amendment says that the NBA can not discipline Sterling for what he said. He can say what he wants; he just can't say what he wants and remain an owner of an NBA team. The NBA also has rights. One of those rights is the right to not be perceived as a racist organization.

As for the privacy issue, that has nothing to do with the NBA or those who are criticizing Sterling. In the first place, public figures like Sterling have a much lower expectation of privacy than does your average person. The reason for that is simple. A public figure is much more likely to affect the lives of others. So, when Mitt Romney rails against the "47%" at a private fundraiser, the public has the right to know about it.

When Donald Sterling makes racist comments in what he thinks is a private conversation, we have the right to know because those comments inform us as to how he conducts his businesses.

It may be true that the tapes would not be admissible in court. This is not court. It is a private organization conducting private business. Maybe Sterling can sue his girlfriend for invasion of privacy, but he can't prevent the NBA from using the information to force him out.

Stillriledup
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
They celebrate it as a victory for human rights, not realizing they are cheering for a police state were private conversations are no longer private. And that police state is on well on its way, with the continuously expanding powers of the NSA.

If he wasn't a slimeball racist, he wouldn't have to worry about his conversations being taped. Just be a good person, that's not a heck of a lot to ask.

This is different from a court case as its the court of public opinion. Sterling is not an "otherwise good person" who just had a bad day, that was his biggest downfall, his past performances.

Legal or illegal, it really comes down to this. If Sterling was allowed to stay in the NBA with a slap on the wrist, the league would eventually have to fold, players would refuse to play for him and players would refuse to play against him, the league would be in shambles....whether that's right or wrong, that's what would eventually happen.

Sterling is part of an "association" and if you put that association at risk of "going under" you have to be eliminated.

If Adam Silver did anything LESS than kick this guy out for life and be incredibly aggressive to get him to sell the team, the NBA players would have basically boycotted the games and refused to play (that's my theory) so you can't take that chance, action needed to be swift and severe.

mostpost
04-29-2014, 05:36 PM

Does V. Stiviano work for the government? Is she an NSA agent? Did the government or any government agency make a tape of her conversations with Donald Sterling? Did it make any tapes of any of his conversations?

This has nothing to do with your so called police state. It is between private individuals. To see it as anything else is nonsense.

Clocker
04-29-2014, 05:44 PM
When Donald Sterling makes racist comments in what he thinks is a private conversation, we have the right to know because those comments inform us as to how he conducts his businesses.

You weren't doing too badly up to this point. This is nonsense. You have no rights regarding other people's private lives.

elysiantraveller
04-29-2014, 05:47 PM
I don't think the commissioner should be the to enforce judgement here. Had his peers, other owners, been the ones forcing him out I would have been muchmore okay with it.

PhantomOnTour
04-29-2014, 05:57 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]If he wasn't a slimeball racist, he wouldn't have to worry about his conversations being taped. Just be a good person, that's not a heck of a lot to ask.QUOTE]

Are you a good person?
Can we listen to all your private conversations?
That's not a heck of a lot to ask, is it?

Clocker
04-29-2014, 06:11 PM
I don't think the commissioner should be the to enforce judgement here. Had his peers, other owners, been the ones forcing him out I would have been muchmore okay with it.

There is no doubt in my mind that Sterling is an idiot and/or senile. But this process stinks as far as a rush to judgement and a possible over-reaction. It appears that the NBA commissioner acted rashly and unilaterally without regard to anything except covering his own butt. Sterling should have been offered the option to bow out on his own.

JustRalph
04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Of course it's not a 1st Amendment issue. Government is not involved.

When you buy an NBA team you agree to the by-laws of the league. These laws allow him to be forced out. They also allow owners to pick and choose who can buy a team. The NFL has the same rules.

MLB has different but similar rules. Due to their Anti-trust exemption, they must tread lightly.

This guy needs to cash out at 800 million and then donate 5 million to the KKK or some skinhead group and sit back and laugh :lol:

Yeah, that's just a joke, relax

TJDave
04-29-2014, 06:26 PM
It appears that the NBA commissioner acted rashly and unilaterally without regard to anything except covering his own butt. Sterling should have been offered the option to bow out on his own.

There is another dynamic at play here. The commissioner and Sterling share a common heritage. I'm not saying it colored his judgment or made him overreach ...but I'm not ruling it out either.

PhantomOnTour
04-29-2014, 06:30 PM
How many of us would be in serious trouble with our boss or family if all of our private conversations were made public ?

I know I would

Dark Horse
04-29-2014, 06:45 PM
Does V. Stiviano work for the government? Is she an NSA agent? Did the government or any government agency make a tape of her conversations with Donald Sterling? Did it make any tapes of any of his conversations?

This has nothing to do with your so called police state. It is between private individuals. To see it as anything else is nonsense.

Isn't it hard to talk with your head in the sand?

woodtoo
04-29-2014, 06:53 PM
Even harder to listen.:D

elysiantraveller
04-29-2014, 07:01 PM
There is no doubt in my mind that Sterling is an idiot and/or senile. But this process stinks as far as a rush to judgement and a possible over-reaction. It appears that the NBA commissioner acted rashly and unilaterally without regard to anything except covering his own butt. Sterling should have been offered the option to bow out on his own.

I don't necessarily disagree agree with you. Would have just rather see it be his business partners, the owners, showing him the door.

badcompany
04-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I'll agree with Mosty on this one. You have right to make racist comments. You don't have a right to own an NBA team.

As an aside, people talk about racism as if there are no degrees. Is someone who occasionally has a racist thought the same as a member of the Klan? Not in my book.

Dark Horse
04-29-2014, 07:16 PM
Even harder to listen.:D

;) cheers.

Marshall Bennett
04-29-2014, 07:50 PM
It may be over, but an awful smell about it lingers.

Dark Horse
04-29-2014, 08:24 PM
The smell of mob rule and lack of diligant process?

The NBA can do what they want. They're entertainment. I learned that when I realized they are allowed to rig games, if they wanted to, without any legal repercussions. They're an entity to themselves.

But the idea that parts of a private conversation, that could easily be taken out of context, can lead to this - regardless of the content of that conversation -, is not encouraging where it concerns our rights to privacy. And those rights have been under attack for quite some time now, which is why I do see this as an extension of 'NSA consciousness'.

Who knows what the exact context was? Obviously, he is not racist if he has a black girlfriend and owns a NBA franchise. But he WAS cheating on his wife. Maybe he didn't want his wife to see the crowd his girlfriend hang out with. Maybe his wife is racist, and he's just trying to protect himself against her taking him to the cleaners. Who knows? Not to ask any of such questions shows a rush to judgment to say the least.

GaryG
04-29-2014, 08:39 PM
He should have broke her arms and legs instead. Then the penalty would have been less severe.

Tom
04-29-2014, 08:48 PM
Open invitation is now out there - for anyone not in government to secretly tape conversations with NBA players - in the locker room, at home, in bars......anywhere and make the tapes public. All members of the Black ?Caucus as well. Time to pull back the sheets, so to speak.
The new standard has been set - welcome to 1933.

I would boycott the NBA, but I already have been boycotting it for 50 years.
Never seen a more worthless sport than Basketball. I think the GD game should be banned and all B Balls destroyed. Especially the one that little puke across the street from me bounces over and over and over in his driveway when I'm trying to handicap. :mad:

Dark Horse
04-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Open invitation is now out there - for anyone not in government to secretly tape conversations with NBA players - in the locker room, at home, in bars......anywhere and make the tapes public. All members of the Black ?Caucus as well. Time to pull back the sheets, so to speak.

Never seen a more worthless sport than Basketball. I think the GD game should be banned and all B Balls destroyed. Especially the one that little puke across the street from me bounces over and over and over in his driveway when I'm trying to handicap. :mad:

+1

johnhannibalsmith
04-29-2014, 09:34 PM

+10

:lol: :lol:

Enduring the sound of sneakers chirping and squawking on the court is worse than being waterboarded.

mostpost
04-29-2014, 09:51 PM

Tom at home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NelBNtNm8l0

Stillriledup
04-29-2014, 10:03 PM
[QUOTE=Stillriledup]If he wasn't a slimeball racist, he wouldn't have to worry about his conversations being taped. Just be a good person, that's not a heck of a lot to ask.QUOTE]

Are you a good person?
Can we listen to all your private conversations?
That's not a heck of a lot to ask, is it?

The point being that if he didnt have past transgressions, and he was an otherwise class act, good person and brought positive things to society, this might have ended differently.

Tom
04-29-2014, 10:05 PM
Three today, mostie? :D
I like that one.

mostpost
04-29-2014, 10:21 PM
Three today, mostie? :D
I like that one.
Years ago when I was about thirty, the kid next door had a basket in his driveway. I would go over occasionally and play him one on one. I killed him every time. Then the damn kid turned seven. :eek:

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2014, 02:33 AM
the NBA players would have basically boycotted the games and refused to play (that's my theory) so you can't take that chance, action needed to be swift and severe.No way in hell that would have happened.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2014, 02:36 AM
He should have broke her arms and legs instead. Then the penalty would have been less severe.Yeah, I agree. A couple years in prison for an old man is much better than being forced to sit at home to watch the games on your giant TV screen and bank mega-millions in profit from the sale of your team.

They really showed him...

What a ridiculous statement you made Gary.

Stillriledup
04-30-2014, 02:55 AM
No way in hell that would have happened.

100 percent it would have. If Sterling was the owner next year, no way anyone would have played for him. No chance, no how.

You seem to not be grasping how deep the African American community took these comments, this was the straw that broke the camels back and the response by the league office and all other owners is proof that i'm right (as usual. :D )

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2014, 03:01 AM
100 percent it would have. If Sterling was the owner next year, no way anyone would have played for him. No chance, no how.

You seem to not be grasping how deep the African American community took these comments, this was the straw that broke the camels back and the response by the league office and all other owners is proof that i'm right (as usual. :D )First off, I thought you were implying there would be a LEAGUE-WIDE strike.

Now I know you were confining your remarks to the Clippers. I still don't agree with you, but at least your theory is more plausible.

Stillriledup
04-30-2014, 03:17 AM
First off, I thought you were implying there would be a LEAGUE-WIDE strike.

Now I know you were confining your remarks to the Clippers. I still don't agree with you, but at least your theory is more plausible.

I think that nobody would have played for the Clippers, but you have to understand that the players assn would have been involved and its pretty likely that the players of the other teams would have stood by the Clippers players w solidarity. It would have been a mess.

Lefty
04-30-2014, 03:45 AM
Tom said:
Can you imagine the outcry if we got hold of a private Al Sharpton conversation?

Tom, probanly would be no different than his public ones. : :) :) :)

Commentating on Sterling Charles Barclay said the NBA was a black league. Hmm, wonder what the white players thought about HIS comments?

Stillriledup
04-30-2014, 04:12 AM
Tom said:

Tom, probanly would be no different than his public ones. : :) :) :)

Commentating on Sterling Charles Barclay said the NBA was a black league. Hmm, wonder what the white players thought about HIS comments?

Must be nice to be able to say anything you want about race and nobody will ever question you. Must be Nice to be able to get a pass on what you say.

Maybe he "gets a pass" because whites and other races arent as sensitive as African Americans?

I think if an owner came out and said "i dont want whitey at my games" whitey would laugh in his face and sort of get a kick out of it, i know i would think it was pretty funny myself....but for some reason, blacks are highly sensitive, even though it wasnt them personally he was calling out.

Dark Horse
04-30-2014, 05:54 AM
Must be nice to be able to say anything you want about race and nobody will ever question you. Must be Nice to be able to get a pass on what you say.

Maybe he "gets a pass" because whites and other races arent as sensitive as African Americans?

I think if an owner came out and said "i dont want whitey at my games" whitey would laugh in his face and sort of get a kick out of it, i know i would think it was pretty funny myself....but for some reason, blacks are highly sensitive, even though it wasnt them personally he was calling out.

Yes, but many white people are as sensitive to accusations of racism. They will go out of their way to avoid that impression, and become accommodating to a fault. True racists are very open about that. They seem proud of it. Most people may say a racist thing here or there, but that doesn't make them racists. Most people use foul language here and there. It doesn't mean they are foul people. This Sterling thing was a witch hunt. He may or may not have been a witch. Doesn't change the fact that this was a lynch mob.

Tom
04-30-2014, 08:03 AM
How many of the outraged, injured parties here previously voted for and supported that KKK senator the Dems were so proud of?

How about this ex B Ball players calling for an all Black league?
The one who referred to the players as slaved in 1999?

Yes, racism exists today - but not exactly where they want you to think it is.

TheEdge07
04-30-2014, 08:15 AM
If Sterlings statements were about jews and gays...are the black-african players boycotting?

HUSKER55
04-30-2014, 10:15 AM
and of coarse blacks don't use racist remarks.

tucker6
04-30-2014, 10:37 AM
This will have ZERO impact on societal values regarding race. None. Zilch. Someone was able to catch a known racist on tape in the privacy of his own home saying racist things. Sorry, but that doesn't move my dial. I bet if we had the NSA tapes of the Obama private quarters, we'd hear worse, and his job/life impacts me. As has been said, it's a slippery slope, and will boomerang back onto blacks when one of their racists is caught on tape being racist.

HUSKER55
04-30-2014, 10:54 AM
YOU DON'T REALLY BELIEVE THAT?

tucker6
04-30-2014, 10:56 AM
YOU DON'T REALLY BELIEVE THAT?
can you be more specific

badcompany
04-30-2014, 12:39 PM
can you be more specific

Apparently, you're unfamiliar with "Moral Relativism."

When you're part of an "oppressed" group, standards don't apply.

tucker6
04-30-2014, 12:56 PM
Apparently, you're unfamiliar with "Moral Relativism."

When you're part of an "oppressed" group, standards don't apply.
On the subject of blacks falling afoul of the same standards they are setting, I just watched Skip Bayless and Stephen A Smith both agree that Floyd Mayweather could never be a NBA owner because of his racists remarks about a latin boxer. What goes around comes around I guess.

CryingForTheHorses
04-30-2014, 01:41 PM
How many of the outraged, injured parties here previously voted for and supported that KKK senator the Dems were so proud of?

How about this ex B Ball players calling for an all Black league?
The one who referred to the players as slaved in 1999?

Yes, racism exists today - but not exactly where they want you to think it is.

I remember David Duke when I lived in S Carolina,People loved him..I also remember seeing.."Blacks Only" entrances at the sides of buildings..This was in the 90's..Yes it still exists today!

Tom
04-30-2014, 02:08 PM
I grew up the 60s and remember all that an a lot worse.
How does this one guy in his own home speaking in private rack up against all that? How does it rack up against voting for KKK member, for calling for an all Black NBA?

Racism lives on both sides of the coin.
But that is not the message being sent out.

Lefty
04-30-2014, 02:45 PM
Tom, and it never will be.
Funny how the prez always speaks up when a white guy says or does something, but never addresses black on white crime or even the terrible black on black crime that's going on in Chicago.
I still remember Holder saying he wouldn't prosecute Black Panthers that blocked the doors at that voting place in Philly, saying he couldn't cause they were his people or something nutty like that.

davew
04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
Magic Johnson and V did a superb sneak attack with media leakage, allowing Magic the opportunity to purchase the clippers before that old codger dies. I wonder how well V is going to make out in the deal.

Lefty
04-30-2014, 02:49 PM
McSchell, Some people loved David Duke, but not a majority. And I think we are a long way from the 90's. And remember, Johnson could not have gotten the Civil Rights act passed without a whole lot of Republican help, because a lot of Dems wanted no part of it.

tucker6
04-30-2014, 02:55 PM
Magic Johnson and V did a superb sneak attack with media leakage, allowing Magic the opportunity to purchase the clippers before that old codger dies. I wonder how well V is going to make out in the deal.
That old codger isn't going to sell. He'll litigate the hell out of any attempt to his last breath. His tax bill would be 200 million if he sold now, even to his wife. If he dies, no taxes if the family gets it. 200 million will buy a lot of lawyers. Let's not worry ourselves about him selling. He isn't. The league is on shaky legal ground in trying to force him out. He'd eat their lunch in court and we all know it. Adam Silver was just putting on a show when he said the owners should vote him out and when the owners leaked that it would be 29-0 to vote him out. They did that to protect the black fan base but the reality is far different. Feel free to bookmark this post for the day when the old codger sells before his death.

JustRalph
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM
Yeah, I agree. A couple years in prison for an old man is much better than being forced to sit at home to watch the games on your giant TV screen and bank mega-millions in profit from the sale of your team.

They really showed him...

What a ridiculous statement you made Gary.

No way he would have seen prison time. Probation and community service

JustRalph
04-30-2014, 03:06 PM
That old codger isn't going to sell. He'll litigate the hell out of any attempt to his last breath. His tax bill would be 200 million if he sold now, even to his wife. If he dies, no taxes if the family gets it. 200 million will buy a lot of lawyers. Let's not worry ourselves about him selling. He isn't. The league is on shaky legal ground in trying to force him out. He'd eat their lunch in court and we all know it. Adam Silver was just putting on a show when he said the owners should vote him out and when the owners leaked that it would be 29-0 to vote him out. They did that to protect the black fan base but the reality is far different. Feel free to bookmark this post for the day when the old codger sells before his death.

No taxes if he leaves to his family? Where the hell did you hear that?

Poindexter
04-30-2014, 03:21 PM

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out. My belief is that this man thrives attention and being a big shot. I do not think he is going to get any respect from anyone(with very few exceptions) after this. This guys ego is so big he buys full page ads in the LA Times with his mug on it advertising what a great guy he is. Advertisers will not touch his product. His words to the girl were "how can we make this go away". Life will never be the same for him again. Not sure how much fight he will have in him. Life will be very different for him from here on out. If he does fight this....the media circus hasn't even begun.

By the way some of you might enjoy.

Larry Elder on Sterling (http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/30/larry-elder-donald-sterling-ban-unfair/)

tucker6
04-30-2014, 03:31 PM
No taxes if he leaves to his family? Where the hell did you hear that?his wife actually. Property transfers at death without death taxes.

AndyC
04-30-2014, 03:54 PM
his wife actually. Property transfers at death without death taxes.

Property transfers at death to anybody but his wife and charities would not avoid estate taxes.

Being that Sterling and his wife have been married since 1955, I would think that she already owns half the team due to community property laws.

TJDave
04-30-2014, 03:55 PM
No way he would have seen prison time. Probation and community service

For what? He didn't commit any crime. It's not against the law to be a bigot.

Stillriledup
04-30-2014, 04:00 PM

Who said he committed a crime?

tucker6
04-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Property transfers at death to anybody but his wife and charities would not avoid estate taxes.

Being that Sterling and his wife have been married since 1955, I would think that she already owns half the team due to community property laws.
We're saying the same thing I believe.

tucker6
04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
That wasn't what Ralph was talking about.

AndyC
04-30-2014, 04:03 PM

It will be interesting if he actually pays the fine to the NBA. It seems kind of ridiculous that somebody could commit a crime by taping the conversation and because you are a victim of the crime you would then be forced to pay a fine.

AndyC
04-30-2014, 04:04 PM
We're saying the same thing I believe.

Transferring the team to his kids would not avoid estate tax.

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
No way he would have seen prison time. Probation and community serviceFor theoretically breaking a woman's arms and legs?

PaceAdvantage
04-30-2014, 04:08 PM
That wasn't what Ralph was talking about.People need to pay attention if they are going to participate in a thread.

The "crime" that is being referenced is theoretical.

tucker6
04-30-2014, 04:15 PM
Transferring the team to his kids would not avoid estate tax.
yeah I know. I clarified my earlier loose language.

davew
04-30-2014, 11:41 PM

He will not have a choice, majority vote by the owners and his ownership or that team is toast. He is not the only owner capable of playing hardball. I could even seeing the NBA letting him keep the 'clippers' and start another expansion team in LA and schedule no games for the clippers. This is not government here, he will not be able to drag this on forever.

Dark Horse
04-30-2014, 11:52 PM
The rush to judgment may have missed a few things. Someone who owns a NBA team and dates a black girl can hardly be racist. But his wife could be, and if he asked that girlfriend not to take black people to the games that could be related to his wife.... (I mentioned this possibility earlier). In other words, this could just be a cheating and rich husband trying to keep his wife from going bananas.

Turns out his wife may be the real racist in the family: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617083/Shelly-Sterlings-checkered-racist-past-comes-light-court-documents-reveal-named-two-different-cases.html

Robert Goren
04-30-2014, 11:59 PM
The rush to judgment may have missed a few things. Someone who owns a NBA team and dates a black girl can hardly be racist. But his wife could be, and if he asked that girlfriend not to take black people to the games that could be related to his wife.... (I mentioned this possibility earlier). In other words, this could just be a cheating and rich husband trying to keep his wife from going bananas.

Turns out his wife may be the real racist in the family: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2617083/Shelly-Sterlings-checkered-racist-past-comes-light-court-documents-reveal-named-two-different-cases.html That stuff is not what this is about and it is not relevant. It is about how much money he is costing the other owners.

johnhannibalsmith
05-01-2014, 12:06 AM
That stuff is not what this is about and it is not relevant. It is about how much money he is costing the other owners.

In other words, the league condones and tolerates racism, as long as it doesn't impact the finances of other rich dudes?

Glad we're all on the right side of this victory for human rights.

Robert Goren
05-01-2014, 12:21 AM
In other words, the league condones and tolerates racism, as long as it doesn't impact the finances of other rich dudes?

Glad we're all on the right side of this victory for human rights. Now you get the picture. This is not a victory or loss for human rights because human rights have much to do with the situation as eating ice cream.

johnhannibalsmith
05-01-2014, 12:37 AM
Now you get the picture. This is not a victory or loss for human rights because human rights have much to do with the situation as eating ice cream.

Wow, I'm surprised that you doubled down on that one with conviction.

Cool. I like it.

Stillriledup
05-01-2014, 04:18 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that you doubled down on that one with conviction.

Cool. I like it.

sorry, couldnt resist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko_P0PD5C-k :D

JustRalph
05-01-2014, 05:30 AM
For theoretically breaking a woman's arms and legs?

As far as I know, no previous record. It's California, First offense Domestic violence cases, rarely go to prison. Although if serious bodily harm (stipulated) he could get a felony rap. But, he would have the best lawyers, could plea it down to misdemeanor, etc

I'm thinking there's a good chance he would get no time behind bars

I'm thinking the initial post is right, he would have been better off just to break her legs......

tucker6
05-01-2014, 06:14 AM
He will not have a choice, majority vote by the owners and his ownership or that team is toast. He is not the only owner capable of playing hardball. I could even seeing the NBA letting him keep the 'clippers' and start another expansion team in LA and schedule no games for the clippers. This is not government here, he will not be able to drag this on forever.
sure he can. What country do you live in?

Dark Horse
05-01-2014, 06:17 AM
That stuff is not what this is about and it is not relevant. It is about how much money he is costing the other owners.

No question. They shot him in self-defense. But they didn't shoot the deputy.

As a handicapper looking for a live longshot, my money is on the guy not wanting to upset his racist wife; not because he loves her, but because he doesn't want to listen to her constant bitching.

classhandicapper
05-01-2014, 09:12 AM
The double standard.

"Former NBA player (and current executive) Larry Johnson called for all-black basketball league. This is far more racist than anything Sterling said. Will the NBA ban Johnson? Will ESPN air round the clock coverage of Johnson’s comments? No. He’s black. Which means he’s allowed to be a racist; according to the warped mindset of modern America. What if Larry Bird called for an all white league? He’d be crucified."

http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/05/shane-kastler/should-opinions-be-illegal/

Dark Horse
05-01-2014, 10:12 AM
Here's the more dangerous context:

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2014/04/30/house-democrat-basically-all-criticism-of-obama-is-straightup-racism-n1831285