PDA

View Full Version : MLB Network now Blacking Out Games?

BettinBilly
04-26-2014, 07:07 PM
I love MLB Network, especially now that they broadcast games rather than just documentary and review. Their "MLB Tonight is excellent. It's like flipping through five or six games that are live, except, they do the flipping for you. Awesome.

However, last night, I was watching the Cards/Pirates. My High Def MLB Network Channel was blacked out from the get-go.

At the top of the 9th inning, my Standard Def MLB Network finally Blacked Out.

I am hoping this was a fluke and that syndication laws have not finally caught up to them. If it continues, there goes my last vestige of normal Baseball that is not Blacked Out. Most of my FOX stations are useless in that regard, as they are all Blacked Out.

Any of you guys watch Baseball on MLB Network? Are ANY of your MLB Network games Blacked out?

Thanks
-Billy

Dave Schwartz
04-26-2014, 08:10 PM
You mean that you PAY to subscribe and still don't get to watch?

BettinBilly
04-26-2014, 08:56 PM
Dave:

In essence, yes. I pay for the Sports Tier. MLB Network is part of that tier.

Now, part of that Sports Tier is the FOX Sports channels, and they are ALWAYS Blacked Out with games. The only thing I can get is two local teams that I don't care for. The rest are ALWAYS blacked out. ALWAYS. It's that Syndicate Rule that started a decade or two ago. They want you to only watch local games and thereby view local advertising.

MLB Network was NEVER blacked out until last night. That's why I asked the question.

Tonight, I'm watching Rays/WhiteSox on MLB Network on High Def, and it's fine. No Blackout. So it may have been just a fluke last night.

Stillriledup
04-27-2014, 03:30 AM
Dave:

In essence, yes. I pay for the Sports Tier. MLB Network is part of that tier.

Now, part of that Sports Tier is the FOX Sports channels, and they are ALWAYS Blacked Out with games. The only thing I can get is two local teams that I don't care for. The rest are ALWAYS blacked out. ALWAYS. It's that Syndicate Rule that started a decade or two ago. They want you to only watch local games and thereby view local advertising.

MLB Network was NEVER blacked out until last night. That's why I asked the question.

Tonight, I'm watching Rays/WhiteSox on MLB Network on High Def, and it's fine. No Blackout. So it may have been just a fluke last night.

I've had the same problem with the HD channels on the MLB package, which i also pay for. Sometimes the HD version is "Stuck" but the regular def comes thru. Maybe i need a new box somehow, but i had that happen to me too.

BettinBilly
05-11-2014, 11:26 PM
I've had the same problem with the HD channels on the MLB package, which i also pay for. Sometimes the HD version is "Stuck" but the regular def comes thru. Maybe i need a new box somehow, but i had that happen to me too.

Thanks, SRU.

Just this last Friday, both the HD and regular MLB Network was blacked out. Got the "SORRY, THIS GAME IS BLACKED OUT IN YOUR VIEWING AREA" message.

It's a new situation that makes no sense. Sometimes games are blacked out, sometimes not, and it does not seem to depend on whom is playing or not playing in my immediate viewing area. Never happened before, but evidently the syndication rules are catching up to MLB Network after all these years.

Stillriledup
05-12-2014, 01:42 AM
Thanks, SRU.

Just this last Friday, both the HD and regular MLB Network was blacked out. Got the "SORRY, THIS GAME IS BLACKED OUT IN YOUR VIEWING AREA" message.

It's a new situation that makes no sense. Sometimes games are blacked out, sometimes not, and it does not seem to depend on whom is playing or not playing in my immediate viewing area. Never happened before, but evidently the syndication rules are catching up to MLB Network after all these years.

It could be blacked out if its a national game on ESPN. Depends on where you live. For example, if you're in Vegas, they consider the "home teams" for Vegas all the California teams, including those from SF and Oakland.

So, its kinda beat.