PDA

View Full Version : "Stuck" horses at Santa Anita scratched by vet

Stillriledup
04-25-2014, 04:16 AM
Can someone in the know please explain what "stuck" means to me, i'm going to give you an example and its not what i thought it was.

So, on April 19th at SA, there were 2 horses scratched out of the 5th race. One was scratched injured and the other one was scratched unsound.

The day before, horse handicapper Bob Ike said that these two horses were "Stuck" and likely to scratch, which they did.

So, i guess the question is this. If these 2 horses were scratched injured and unsound the day before the races, how come this information can't be dispensed to the public, you know, to help with handicapping?

Bob Ike reported these scratches the day before, but didnt say they were "injured" or "unsound" he just said they were "Stuck"

Anyone?

turninforhome10
04-25-2014, 04:30 AM
Probably meaning they did not scratch by scratch time and therefore any further scratching would be penalized by ineligibility to enter back for period of time detemined by stewards or they might have to work in front of vets to get off vet's list. Just a hunch but it sounds right.

LottaKash
04-25-2014, 05:19 AM
Severely "Constipated" ?....:D

PaceAdvantage
04-25-2014, 09:01 AM
A stuck horse is a horse who was hustled into the race by the racing office for the sole purpose of getting a race to fill. The trainer is doing the racing sec. a favor by entering his horse. Trainer has (or had) little to no intention of actually running.

I could be wrong...it's early in the morning.

Rise Over Run
04-25-2014, 09:25 AM
Here's a good reply from Mountainmain when this topic came up on a race at Santa Anita in January 2013.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387759&postcount=8

"Sometimes give "stuck" info out on air, but stuck horses rarely make the gate these days. Trainers find it too easy to get a vet slip, and if worse comes to worse, would much rather eat a fine than participate against their will. Thus the main usefulness of knowing which horses are stuck is to save time and effort of factoring them into handicapping process. And the only way I can think of to access this info is to call the racing office after scratch time or call switchboard and ask for "scratch line," on which some tracks give out stuck horses along with scratches and draw ins.

As an official, I consider this public info."

And the "stuck" horse that started the topic, Kenichi, has not raced again since being claimed for $12,500.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100551

Just a Fan
04-25-2014, 12:59 PM
Not sure if maybe Bob Ike was a radio guest, HRTV guest, or an inhouse simulcast guest when you found out from him about the stuck horses for 4/19, but ICYDK he always gives out the "stuck" horses for SA and Dmr for the next day's card on his twitter feed. He also lists first time geldings. Useful info. He is @bobike1.

The 2 stuck horses he mentioned on 4/19 (Askingfortrouble and Magic Union) are both now on the vet list, so I would assume that at least sometimes, the horse is really not healthy when he is "stuck".

Robert Fischer
04-26-2014, 11:02 AM
the horse is really not healthy when he is "stuck".

Yea.

It could be a slight value benefit if you are able to track it, and someone doesn't make a heavy bet on the horse because of the vet scratch designation.

I was capping a race the other day, and I came across a vet-scratch, so I moved on to another horse and that horse was also vet scratched (from the same race). Turned out that 3 in that race had been "vet scratched" from the same previous race, and were running in the current race.
Kind of annoying.