PDA

View Full Version : Bayern in Derby with Trial win

depalma113
04-24-2014, 09:54 AM
If Bayern wins the Derby Trial, He will move to 20th in the points standing and assure himself a start in the Kentucky Derby.

horses4courses
04-24-2014, 09:59 AM
I don't believe that the Derby Trial offers any qualifying points.

http://www.kentuckyderby.com/contenders/preps/schedule

Even if it did, I doubt that Baffert would run such a promising horse back in a week.

The Coach might........ ;)

FantasticDan
04-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Baffert said that the Trial would set Bayern up well for the Preakness.

Edward DeVere
04-24-2014, 11:09 AM
The Derby Trial offers "unrestricted stakes earnings", the tiebreaker for those horses dead-even in points. Even a minor placing for Bayern would significantly improve his chances of making the Derby field.

Baffert clearly believes that Hoppertunity and Bayern are his two best chances to win the Derby this year.

depalma113
04-24-2014, 11:16 AM
His unrestricted Stakes earnings would be $160,000. That would put him in 20th position, based on the tie breaker.

horses4courses
04-24-2014, 11:18 AM
His unrestricted Stakes earnings would be $160,000. That would put him in 20th position, based on the tie breaker.

Gotcha.
Tough way to get your horse into the Derby gate.

BlinkersOn
04-24-2014, 11:30 AM
Word is that Bayern is headed for the Preakness, and this is just a prep. I've been wrong before, so this wouldn't be the first time, but this is what I've heard.

Edward DeVere
04-24-2014, 12:06 PM
Baffert doesn't know what he's doing until he does it, and he freely admits this.

depalma113
04-24-2014, 12:16 PM
I think he knows exactly what he is doing.

BlueShoe
04-24-2014, 12:36 PM
Baffert has also entered the Sunland Derby winner Chitu in the Trial. He has remarked that if Chitu goes and runs well, he may run him back in the Derby. Or he may skip the Derby regardless, or scratch from the Trial. Chitu looks like a nice colt, and if he goes, will be in the lower rungs of my exotic ticket.

bgbootha
04-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Baffert has also entered the Sunland Derby winner Chitu in the Trial. He has remarked that if Chitu goes and runs well, he may run him back in the Derby. Or he may skip the Derby regardless, or scratch from the Trial. Chitu looks like a nice colt, and if he goes, will be in the lower rungs of my exotic ticket.

He has already come out and said that Chitu will point toward The Derby and skip the trial this weekend.

SecretAgentMan
04-24-2014, 02:44 PM
Bafferts only closer is Hoppertunity so if Bayern & Chitu are in the derby, he knows what their job is.......that is to get Chrome chasing the pace & press Chrome most of the way setting up Hoppy .......Baffert is a great poker player&/or chess player know how to maneuver his pieces into place.

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Earnings have nothing to do with eligibility - it's all based on points

horses4courses
04-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Earnings have nothing to do with eligibility - it's all based on points

That fooled me too.
A bunch of them have 20 points - graded earnings count next.

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2014, 03:37 PM
That fooled me too.
A bunch of them have 20 points - graded earnings count next.
My mistake

Bayern has no business being in the Derby anyway

davew
04-24-2014, 03:47 PM
Last year the Derby Trial gave points 20-8-4-2 but they removed it this year (and cut the Lexington points in half)

I suspect they did not expect so many ties near the cut-off

Maybe they should consider having a more gradual drop in point value or calculate points from lengths behind winner with a race awarding XXX points.

This year a couple 3rd place by a nose horses that are good on the cut-off probably won't get in.

Rex Phinney
04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
My mistake

Bayern has no business being in the Derby anyway

Bayern has a better shot in the Derby than Chitu IMO.

Chitu is for sure out of the Derby Trial. Not even sure why he was entered.

IMO Baffert is hoping to see enough defections that Bayern gets in without the Trial. If that doesn't happen by the time the Derby trial is run, bet your house that the horse is going in the Trial and then in the Derby.

There is no reason for Bayern to run in the Derby Trial if they don't plan on running him on Derby Day. Baffert thinks the world of this horse.

Does it make sense to run him back in a week? Hell no, but this is the Derby, so they will be leaving logic at the door.

SecretAgentMan
04-24-2014, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=PhantomOnTour

Bayern has no business being in the Derby anyway[/QUOTE]

If Bayern runs in the derby if he will s the trial, I hope he doesn't break down.

Edward DeVere
04-24-2014, 03:59 PM
I think he knows exactly what he is doing.

Baffert has said on many, MANY occasions that he changes his mind about where to send his three-year-olds late in the process, based on how his horse is doing, the prospective competition, etc.

And he usually chooses correctly, in my estimation.

BlueShoe
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Back in the Good Old Days of racing the Trial was a major prep, and many colts came out of it to run well in the Derby. Today it is more of a prep for the Preakness or other lesser stakes. Tim Tam (1958) was the last to win the Trial and then the Derby. This trend has long puzzled me, with the good race over the track being a plus factor. Why not run back in 7 days if your colt runs well and come out of the race okay? In the old days the Trial was run on Tuesday and you came back in the Derby in 4 days, let alone 7. Are modern horses that fragile, or? :confused:

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2014, 05:03 PM
Back in the Good Old Days of racing the Trial was a major prep, and many colts came out of it to run well in the Derby. Today it is more of a prep for the Preakness or other lesser stakes. Tim Tam (1958) was the last to win the Trial and then the Derby. This trend has long puzzled me, with the good race over the track being a plus factor. Why not run back in 7 days if your colt runs well and come out of the race okay? In the old days the Trial was run on Tuesday and you came back in the Derby in 4 days, let alone 7. Are modern horses that fragile, or? :confused:
That would make 3 races in 3 weeks if you have the Preakness in your plans, and that's enough to fry the dials of even the stoutest modern thoroughbred.

Rex Phinney
04-24-2014, 06:53 PM
That would make 3 races in 3 weeks if you have the Preakness in your plans, and that's enough to fry the dials of even the stoutest modern thoroughbred.

You don't work horses in Kentucky if your main goal is the Preakness.

BlinkersOn
04-24-2014, 09:43 PM
Baffert doesn't know what he's doing until he does it, and he freely admits this.

You are right, because he is running both Chitu and Bayern in the Derby Trial, which pretty much says he's undecided. I don't honestly think he stands much of a chance with Chitu to be honest. Who will ride Bayern if he does go to the derby is the question.

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2014, 09:46 PM
You don't work horses in Kentucky if your main goal is the Preakness.
I know - the main goal for everyone is the Kentucky Derby, but after that...

PhantomOnTour
04-24-2014, 09:50 PM
You are right, because he is running both Chitu and Bayern in the Derby Trial, which pretty much says he's undecided. I don't honestly think he stands much of a chance with Chitu to be honest. Who will ride Bayern if he does go to the derby is the question.
I think Chitu is not running in the Trial and is a go for the Derby

BlinkersOn
04-24-2014, 10:14 PM

Chitu is listed as a possible scratch for the Derby, so it comes down to the trials to see which will be in..Chitu or Bayern. I personally wouldn't bet either of them, but it would set it up pretty good for Bob's only horse that has a chance, Hoppertunity. In either case, I don't think it truly matters which horse plays rabbit here. According to things I read tonight, both Chitu and Bayern are running in the trials. Last minute judgment call for Baffert again.

BlinkersOn
04-24-2014, 10:17 PM
I think Chitu is not running in the Trial and is a go for the Derby

He is listed as running in the trials...so is Bayern. I guess we wait and see.

depalma113
04-25-2014, 06:00 AM
He is listed as running in the trials...so is Bayern. I guess we wait and see.

Chitu is not running in the Trial. Baffert has already confirmed it.

BlinkersOn
04-25-2014, 07:39 PM
I guess I'm confused. Won't there have to be 3 defections for Bayern to get into the Derby? Also, won't he have run his race tomorrow in the trails. I wouldn't bet him one week back. I guess I'm puzzled. If it's not a Preakness prep, then what is the point in it? Does he stand a chance to get into the Derby starting gate, or no? I know there are no points, so what is he accomplishing.

SecretAgentMan
04-25-2014, 08:10 PM
I guess I'm confused. Won't there have to be 3 defections for Bayern to get into the Derby? Also, won't he have run his race tomorrow in the trails. I wouldn't bet him one week back. I guess I'm puzzled. If it's not a Preakness prep, then what is the point in it? Does he stand a chance to get into the Derby starting gate, or no? I know there are no points, so what is he accomplishing.

More Baffert mind games, who knows......

TMQ
04-26-2014, 12:40 AM
He gets Non-Restricted Stakes Earnings...... If he gets 5th place in the Derby trial Stakes, and Chitu Scratches Bayern would be in the Derby. For him to get 5th in that race is pretty much a glorified workout! :rolleyes:

davew
04-26-2014, 06:31 AM

It would not be 'defections' but rather an improvement in ranking. There are a few horses with 20 points and the tiebreaker is unrestructed stakes earnings.

Tom
04-26-2014, 09:41 PM
I'm not betting Crap Track down, but I do like Laddie Boy over Bayern.
That California speed is not impressive.

BlueChip@DRF
04-26-2014, 09:46 PM
Embellishing Bob

Robert Fischer
04-26-2014, 09:52 PM
:1: - Bayern is a legit derby horse. He didn't fire last time. Can he fire today? Does he even have to fire to beat these??

:10: - Myositis Dan - well rounded, can do it all fairly well.

:3: - Big Sugar Soda - has been begging for the stretch out.

Robert Fischer
04-26-2014, 10:02 PM
Only 8k on bayern to shw.

i don't know if that's a bad sign??

someone should slap 20K down

Robert Fischer
04-26-2014, 10:04 PM
nevermind , the money came in late

ended up at least 16

Robert Fischer
04-26-2014, 10:07 PM
that was a horse race :D

lot of contact too

Robert Fischer
04-26-2014, 10:12 PM
Embellishing Bob

you got it

BlueChip@DRF
04-26-2014, 10:13 PM
you got it

That means I will fail in the Derby.

wreckless
04-26-2014, 10:42 PM
did bayern win?

tanner12oz
04-26-2014, 11:18 PM
Jeez good think bayern isn't derby bound...that much contact in a 20 horse field could be a disaster

raybo
04-27-2014, 01:56 AM
Jeez good think bayern isn't derby bound...that much contact in a 20 horse field could be a disaster

Bayern still won some unrestricted earnings which adds to what he already had, and being tied in points with others at 20, the place winnings today probably gets him in the Derby, as the tie breaker in Derby points, if that's what Baffert decides to do. However, he looked leg-weary to me after the race, so wouldn't be surprised if he isn't ready by Saturday. If he does run in the Derby, I don't expect much from him.

Tom
04-27-2014, 09:02 AM
A match made in Heaven - Bayern who is nothing a all what he appeared to be, and Finger Lakes, who desperately need entries.