PDA

View Full Version : 2YO in Training

jtschmidt
04-23-2014, 01:51 PM
I went in on a trotting colt at the recent Harrisburg yearling sale. He is obviously now 2 years old and has trained in 2:15 all on his own.

I am still new to the sport and this is the first horse I have ever owned (only own 10%). Was wondering where 2:15 puts this horse at this stage in the game. Is this extremely promising? Is he on a good path? Just okay?

Open to any opinions. Im just curious and excited for him to hit the track soon.

Joey

Saratoga_Mike
04-23-2014, 01:55 PM
I went in on a trotting colt at the recent Harrisburg yearling sale. He is obviously now 2 years old and has trained in 2:15 all on his own.

I am still new to the sport and this is the first horse I have ever owned (only own 10%). Was wondering where 2:15 puts this horse at this stage in the game. Is this extremely promising? Is he on a good path? Just okay?

Open to any opinions. Im just curious and excited for him to hit the track soon.

Joey

Congrats - that's a nice mile for a 2-yr-old trotter this time of year (whether it was on a mile or half mile track). If he was well contained in the training mile and can stay flat when he races, you could have a decent one. Is he staked anywhere?

wilderness
04-23-2014, 02:05 PM
USTA Training Reports (http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=training+2014&x=30&y=13&vs=ustrotting.com&vs=AND)

mrroyboy
04-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Good luck JT. Hope to see your horse in the big races.

jtschmidt
04-23-2014, 02:26 PM
Mike: I am not exactly sure. I should probably discuss with the boss (the 80% owner who knows more about the game than me.) I would be willing to stake him to a couple races at this point.

Don: Where can I see training times? I can only find rosters.

Ray2000
04-23-2014, 04:00 PM
Joe

My introduction to Standardbred ownership was also thru 2yo trotters and both times I had to wait for the 3yo campaign before they became raceway horses. One was a 3yo stakes Winner (Arden Downs at the Meadows) they other was a flop. My point is these 2 yos want to go faster than they're ready for, so don't get too excited about training mile times. Rely on your trainer to know what he's doing and hopefully you'll reap the rewards.

As for major stakes eligibility, deadlines are probably over for nominations but local and 'close-by tracks' ship-ins for early and/or late closers is a good route for purses. Ask your guy what's available.

Just remember...Patience, Patience, Patience, and Best of Luck with your colt.

jtschmidt
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the words Ray. Will keep in mind.

Joey

wilderness
04-23-2014, 11:11 PM
Don: Where can I see training times? I can only find rosters.

My apologies.
I generally don't review these recent years reports, which are absent times.

In previous days and the older publications, the training times were always reported. I've hordes and hordes of such older (pre-1960) articles archived.

LottaKash
04-23-2014, 11:23 PM

Joey

Why don't you turn him over to trainer "Lou Pena".... He'll have him go 1:55 in the first outing...:D

Just a Fan
04-23-2014, 11:44 PM
2:15 is excellent, well ahead of schedule at this time of year. Not trying to be nosy, but what state was your trotter bred in? Many of the sire stakes programs offer real good money, and sometimes all a 2 year old trotter has to do is stay flat to earn pretty good money in the sire stakes week after week.

Hope he stays sound and makes some money for you. Enjoy the ride.

jtschmidt
04-24-2014, 11:52 AM
He is out of the first Muscle Massive crop, so PA eligible.