PDA

View Full Version : Best lifetime score on the Derby?

Stillriledup
04-23-2014, 01:06 AM
Who's had their best lifetime score, or a memorable score on the Derby itself? I know personally, i've made money on some Derbies, but no massive life changing hits, so, as time has gone on, my Derby wager amounts have gotten smaller and smaller...and i won't be playing this year's derby.

The reason i bring this topic up is that there seems to be this obsession to handicap this race to death, analyze every possible angle, and spend countless hours thinking about how to make money on this race....but, if your own past performances suggest this is not really a race you've 'crushed' in the past, maybe its a good idea to concentrate on undercard races OR races at other tracks that seem to have inflated pools on "Derby Day".

thaskalos
04-23-2014, 02:41 AM
I won about $55,000 in the 2004 Derby. I had $3,000 to win on Smarty Jones, the trifecta for $5...and a $2 super. I wagered a total of $4,500 on the race. I was planning on making this bet for a week...but I chickened out when the track came up sloppy, and thought about passing the race altogether. But I connected for two signers at Laurel on the day before the Derby, which brought me a profit of exactly $4,500...so I considered it an omen and proceeded with my original plans.

It was hardly a life-changing score though. As I recall...the money didn't even last until the end of that summer. There was a lunatic who was pretending to be me at that time...and he had a lot to learn...

Augenj
04-23-2014, 08:56 AM
This wasn't a life changer but I had a $5 Exacta Box on Nehro and Animal Kingdom in the 2011 Derby. Paid $824.50 as I recall.

RaceBookJoe
04-23-2014, 09:51 AM
The only 2 memorable Derby scores for me worth any money was a $100 show saver bet on Giacomo and then a couple years ago I had $200 to win on Animal Kingdom ( also had $200 on 2 other horses which lost ) and had a $20 exacta with him that paid. Nice day, but not life changing.

Si2see
04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
This wasn't a life changer but I had a $5 Exacta Box on Nehro and Animal Kingdom in the 2011 Derby. Paid $824.50 as I recall.

Same here, also hit cheap $10 double with from oaks derby with Plum Pretty but missed the $20 double by a neck with Saint Johns River or whatever the horse name that Rosie was riding at balloon odds :bang:

tanner12oz
04-23-2014, 10:09 AM
I had the tri last year for something like $1800...keyed revolutionary in all 3 positions with an assortment of horses in the other 2 spots...didn't think I had it either then noticed revolutionary had clunked his way up....then my next though was oh no did I go deep enough to catch golden soul? which look at my tickets and BINGO....score. yelled an assortment of obscenities in celebration in front of my family and friends I had over for the race....played around $160 worth of tickets on the race

biggest score ever was BC Pick 4 ending with BLame for $3800

had the Pick 5 at the Preakness singling Ill have Another for like $1400

these are about the extent of my "big race" scores.

tanner12oz
04-23-2014, 10:11 AM

Needed Shackelford to hold on for 3rd that year....came in 4th if I recall....DOH! and then I got off the shackelford express only to become dialed in who was dialed out at the preakness

QuarterCrack
04-23-2014, 10:21 AM
My biggest score came in the Derby, bet Closing Argument across the board in 2005.. Big money for me then, $50W/$100P/$200S

He paid $70-something in the middle and $25-ish to show.

Cheaped out of wheeling him in the exacta, though, because I didn't want to spend the money..... Came back over $9k, if I recall.... Ugh... :bang: :bang:

Besides my biggest score coming in the Derby, my FIRST bet was made on the Derby, had a few bucks on Grindstone...

menifee
04-23-2014, 10:24 AM
Hit a 48k super for a $1 in 2012. Only big derby score. I treat the Super in the derby like a p5 and p6 throw real money at it. My strategy is quite simple - pick 5-7 horses that I think can win the race over another 7-10 horses over a key in third with all. I then duplicate the ticket and put the key in 4th. There is always a fast pace in the derby and you can always identify a closer or two who will pick up a piece. I think picking that closer is much easier than picking the winner in most years.

Mystic
04-23-2014, 11:08 AM
1999 when Charimatic won. I only had $42 to spend and went the night before to Sam Houston and did $42 worth of $1, 7 $2 tri combinations.

I ended up collecting $5800 and was home alone watching it all by my lonesome. I am sure the neighbors were a bit concerned for a couple minutes due to all the yelling, and then to have the "inquiry" sign come up, I just about died right then and there.:D

DJofSD
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Lil E. Tee and War Emblem.

phattty
04-23-2014, 11:33 AM
Not a life changer but surely a great surprise....

Night before made a 20-20 we bet on Lil E Tee at Atlantic City racetrack..

Watched the race at home and loved the winning mutuel

However when I got to track that evening the shocker was...

Jersey had separate pools those days

The Lil one returns 92$ for 2 bucks

:lol:

BlueShoe
04-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Score? That is the wrong word. My lifetime ROI on the Derby is deep in the red. At least I had sense to wager lightly from the beginning. Best hit was in 1994 in the slop, $20 to win on Go For Gin $20.20. 2-1 favorite Holy Bull never ran a step.

ultracapper
04-23-2014, 12:07 PM
Unbridled. Man, that was a long time ago.

Exotic1
04-23-2014, 12:12 PM
I won about $55,000 in the 2004 Derby. I had $3,000 to win on Smarty Jones, the trifecta for $5...and a $2 super. I wagered a total of $4,500 on the race. I was planning on making this bet for a week...but I chickened out when the track came up sloppy, and thought about passing the race altogether. But I connected for two signers at Laurel on the day before the Derby, which brought me a profit of exactly $4,500...so I considered it an omen and proceeded with my original plans.

It was hardly a life-changing score though. As I recall...the money didn't even last until the end of that summer. There was a lunatic who was pretending to be me at that time...and he had a lot to learn...

Chapter 1 - Love reading about huge scores and that's huge. Great.
Chapter 2 - Not so good but I'm sure there were thrills going through the cash.

Sounds like the lunatic is locked away for good.

Exotic1
04-23-2014, 12:16 PM
Hit a 48k super for a $1 in 2012. Only big derby score. I treat the Super in the derby like a p5 and p6 throw real money at it. My strategy is quite simple - pick 5-7 horses that I think can win the race over another 7-10 horses over a key in third with all. I then duplicate the ticket and put the key in 4th. There is always a fast pace in the derby and you can always identify a closer or two who will pick up a piece. I think picking that closer is much easier than picking the winner in most years.

Another huge score. Great.

WTF, so I'm the only guy that hasn't scored big in the Derby. Scored big? I can't find the winner even after the race is made official.

Ocala Mike
04-23-2014, 12:17 PM
Hardly life-changing, and maybe not even the best score I ever made in the Derby, but it's fresh in my memory. Backwheeled Orb in the Oaks/Derby DD last year and got rewarded nicely when Princess of Sylmar scored at a huge mutuel.

Izzy2742
04-23-2014, 12:35 PM
I have been a fan of watching the Derby since 1984. I was 11, reading a bunch of Black Stallion books by Walter Farley. The spring prep races made me root for Swale. Been hooked ever since. Probably didn't actually bet on it until 2006.

Anyways, best score was last year. Orb impressed me in the stretch of the Florida Derby. Then all week there were lots of positive reports for him.

So I bet the trifecta. Orb/all/all for $2. (Orb keyed in other slots for 0.60)

Total bet around $670, won about $6900

No life changing amount either, lol. But fun.

dannyhill
04-23-2014, 12:39 PM
I have been a fan of watching the Derby since 1984. I was 11, reading a bunch of Black Stallion books by Walter Farley. The spring prep races made me root for Swale. Been hooked ever since. Probably didn't actually bet on it until 2006.

Anyways, best score was last year. Orb impressed me in the stretch of the Florida Derby. Then all week there were lots of positive reports for him.

So I bet the trifecta. Orb/all/all for $2. (Orb keyed in other slots for 0.60)

Total bet around $670, won about $6900

No life changing amount either, lol. But fun.
Didn't know you could bet 60 cent trifecta's in the Derby.

Golf man
04-23-2014, 12:53 PM
Well, it was memorable, but not a winner. In 1987 my wife and I motored up from San Diego to Hollywood Park (no satellite wagering then). My picks were Alysheba and Bet Twice. I got in line 45 minutes before the race and could not get a win bet or exacta bet down on the race and sat there mumbling about the $2, $109 exacta payoff that would have paid for the trip. Never went back to Hollywood after that debacle.

BlueShoe
04-23-2014, 12:54 PM
Lil E. Tee and War Emblem.
My biggest blunder ever as far as betting the Derby, was not playing him. Hemmed and hawed over taking him and finally ended up passing the race. Loved his Illinois Derby win, but thought that the expected swifter pace at Churchill would do him in. Was wrong, and it cost me a $43 winner. :(

Izzy2742
04-23-2014, 01:20 PM
Didn't know you could bet 60 cent trifecta's in the Derby.

Normally 50 cents. From a Canadian ADW, it means 0.60. But great job on nailing the theme of this thread

dannyhill
04-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Normally 50 cents. From a Canadian ADW, it means 0.60. But great job on nailing the theme of this thread
Didn't know you could bet 50 cent trifecta's either.

Delta Cone
04-23-2014, 02:25 PM
Here is the Derby wagering menu:

http://www.churchilldowns.com/racing-handicapping/post-times-wager-menu

1st time lasix
04-23-2014, 02:30 PM
Thank you sir....."I'll Have Another"------ at 16-1 :) Win....California Exacta with Bodemister...the Oaks/Derby Double...and pick 4.

BettinBilly
04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Another huge score. Great.

WTF, so I'm the only guy that hasn't scored big in the Derby. Scored big? I can't find the winner even after the race is made official.

Don't kid yourself. Lots of us haven't scored big in the Derby. I haven't scored big in the Triple Crown. I've scored, but compared to what's been posted, it's miniscule.

But - There is always THIS year and NEXT year, eh? We keep on keepin' on.

rrpic6
04-23-2014, 06:06 PM
Here we go again with the Derby woulda, shoulda, couldas.

I'm sure I've posted this story before, but it comes to mind quite often, especially when someone asks the question "what's your biggest mistake" or something similar.

Its May 4th 2002, Kentucky Derby Day at Churchill Downs. There is a huge Pick 6 carryover, about 150K, a lot for CD and its $1 wager back then. I prepare a $600 ticket the night before. I throw out the favorite in leg one and only like War Emblem and Medaglio D'Oro in the last leg, the Derby. There are two DQ's in that sequence that go my way. No one hits the Pick 6 that day and the carry over is $346K. Alas, I don't play the ticket, deciding to play the Pick 4 and wheeling War Emblem in the Tri. $13K is a nice payday but $346K is a nice retirement home.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...4/2002&ctry=USA (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlusIndex.cfm?tid=CD%20&dt=5/4/2002&ctry=USA)

RR

Exotic1
04-23-2014, 06:27 PM

I didn't intend to distract from your post with my WTF...

This is what I meant to say:

Huge score. Great.

This thread is about huge Derby scores, not my whining. Carry on.

NJ Stinks
04-23-2014, 07:14 PM
Two hits come to mind:

2011 - When Animal Kingdom won the Derby at 20-1, I cashed on the Oaks, Woodford Reserve, and Derby Pick 3 for 50 cents. It paid $974.

Now for the rest of the story: I had a partner and we split the $974. Need I add that my most clever partner picked all 3 winners? :blush:

1999 - I had a Future Bet on Menifee and was going to cash at least $600 if he won the Derby. So I backwheeled Menifee (7-1) in the exacta on the day and when Charismatic beat Menifee at 31-1, I got back $728.

I can add that I did cash Future bets on Monarchos (2001) and Orb last year but got back less than $400 on both bets.

Bennie
04-23-2014, 07:16 PM
Seems like a lot of you bet more in one race than I do in a months time and though never any "big" scores I did have Big Brown/Eight Belles $140 exacta, barbaro/bluegrass cat $580 exacta, last years $620 Oaks/Derby double and $4 on Giacomo.

rastajenk
04-23-2014, 07:18 PM
I hit the Charismatic - Menifee exacta in 1999. I had a $2 three-horse box of the highest last-race Beyers, and it paid over $700. Nothing to it! :faint:

BettinBilly
04-23-2014, 08:48 PM
My story is mediocre, but I'll play.

1988. Young Horseplayer. I stumble into an OTB in New York. In my rudimentary Capping back then, I come up with 49er as my fave. Place some on his nose to win. Also some to Place. I also exacta'd Him and Winning Colors. Yahoo.

At that time, winning over 500 on a race was a big deal for me. Come to think of it, it still is. :)

Mystic
04-23-2014, 08:56 PM
Here we go again with the Derby woulda, shoulda, couldas.

I'm sure I've posted this story before, but it comes to mind quite often, especially when someone asks the question "what's your biggest mistake" or something similar.

Its May 4th 2002, Kentucky Derby Day at Churchill Downs. There is a huge Pick 6 carryover, about 150K, a lot for CD and its $1 wager back then. I prepare a $600 ticket the night before. I throw out the favorite in leg one and only like War Emblem and Medaglio D'Oro in the last leg, the Derby. There are two DQ's in that sequence that go my way. No one hits the Pick 6 that day and the carry over is $346K. Alas, I don't play the ticket, deciding to play the Pick 4 and wheeling War Emblem in the Tri. $13K is a nice payday but $346K is a nice retirement home.

http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqb...4/2002&ctry=USA (http://www.equibase.com/premium/eqbPDFChartPlusIndex.cfm?tid=CD%20&dt=5/4/2002&ctry=USA)

RR

Damn!!.. I'm afraid I would of became an alcoholic after that one.. ouch! :D

Hoofless_Wonder
04-23-2014, 09:00 PM
Who's had their best lifetime score, or a memorable score on the Derby itself? I know personally, i've made money on some Derbies, but no massive life changing hits, so, as time has gone on, my Derby wager amounts have gotten smaller and smaller...and i won't be playing this year's derby.

The reason i bring this topic up is that there seems to be this obsession to handicap this race to death, analyze every possible angle, and spend countless hours thinking about how to make money on this race....but, if your own past performances suggest this is not really a race you've 'crushed' in the past, maybe its a good idea to concentrate on undercard races OR races at other tracks that seem to have inflated pools on "Derby Day".

But SRU, it's the Derby. I mean c'mon. Really? :p

From a betting standpoint though, you're absolutely right. Been betting the Derby since 1986. 28 starts, 1 win, 6 seconds, 1 third.

Most memorable - Winning Colors - 1988 - got to taunt all my buddies who didn't like her simply because she was a filly. Boneheads.

Biggest nightmare - 1996 - got nosed by Grindstone. Turned $400 into $62 getting the exacta once. The other way around, with Cavonnier on top, I cash the tri, super and win bet, getting back over $7000.

It's the Derby, and bragging rights last a year..... :jump:

1GCFAN
04-23-2014, 09:38 PM
Smarty Jones Derby. Had the pick 4 which was maybe 14.2 after taxes on a $56 ticket. Had about $500 insurance win bets to protect my investment.

My son, not race track regular hit the I will Have Another tri with $1.00 straight ticket and a $1.00 three horse box. Total investment $7.00!

appistappis
04-23-2014, 10:34 PM
I started going to the track with my uncle as a kid.....in 1964 we all were for northern dancer being the canadian horse..i scraped together two bucks for the bet and my reward has been a lifetime of playing the greatest game on earth.

JustRalph
04-23-2014, 11:39 PM
War Emblem

W/p/s

But the Preakness was better

Magic Weisner........and the Mig. :jump:

cj's dad
04-24-2014, 12:22 AM
War Emblem

W/p/s

But the Preakness was better

Magic Weisner........and the Mig. :jump:

I was with JR a few years back-4?- at The Big A on Wood day with OTMAL. We were in the paddock area prior to the Wood and JR got to meet Mig. Reminded me of the first time a kid sat on Santa's lap.:D

JustRalph
04-24-2014, 01:33 AM
I was with JR a few years back-4?- at The Big A on Wood day with OTMAL. We were in the paddock area prior to the Wood and JR got to meet Mig. Reminded me of the first time a kid sat on Santa's lap.:D

That was a great day! :ThmbUp:

menifee
04-24-2014, 01:49 AM
The way this year's race is shaping up I would be surprised if there are any life changing scores. The long shots in this year's race are terrible.

I'm sure others said the same about Mine that Bird, Giacomo, Closing Argument, Golden Soul, etc., but I just think the top 4 or 5 are so much better than the bottom 5. And with California Chrome being so much better than everyone else, I just don't see a big tri or super this year.

rastajenk
04-24-2014, 06:53 AM
Oh, I don't know about that. A lot can happen behind the leader in that last extra furlong. Any or all of those top 4 or 5 can run well, finish in the top ten, and still miss hitting the board. A couple in the midrange of final odds can really blow up a payout. :eek:

fasteddied
04-24-2014, 07:14 AM
2000 derby, bet 100 bucks. 60 win fusaichi pegasus, 30 straight exacta with aptitude and a 30 straight tri 12-5-1 that day. I took down around 7100.00 if memory serves and bought a pickup truck that monday am. So everytime I started up that f-150 I thought about that stretch run.

Ocala Mike
04-24-2014, 12:29 PM
Nice choice in trucks, fasteddie. My 2004 Ford Ranger was bought used a few years back, and it's given me great service. As I recall, I used some winnings on the ponies to help pay for it too.

BettinBilly
04-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Very cool story Eddie! In 1995, I bought a Triumph Motorcycle on winnings I had from a streak in April. Didn't cover the entire buy, but made a great down payment. And every time I rode that bike, I thought of my wins. Wish I had not sold it a few years ago, but time marches on. I'm done with Motorcycles for a while. Might get another if I have another great winning streak.

ultracapper
04-24-2014, 04:06 PM
My first really big score at the track, over a grand, was soon after I was married. My wife took the money off my bed stand and she and her sister went and bought a bunch of patio furniture. I had never been so pissed in my life. I was going to parlay it and roll it into this and that. For sure I would have lost it. It was probably the first time I actually ever got anything other than another bet out of money I won at the track.

JustRalph
04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
My first really big score at the track, over a grand, was soon after I was married. My wife took the money off my bed stand and she and her sister went and bought a bunch of patio furniture. I had never been so pissed in my life. I was going to parlay it and roll it into this and that. For sure I would have lost it. It was probably the first time I actually ever got anything other than another bet out of money I won at the track.

You mean you don't remember that win every time she brings you a drink while you're sitting on the patio?

Kind of like the aforementioned truck :lol:

JustRalph
04-24-2014, 04:26 PM
Oh, I don't know about that. A lot can happen behind the leader in that last extra furlong. Any or all of those top 4 or 5 can run well, finish in the top ten, and still miss hitting the board. A couple in the midrange of final odds can really blow up a payout. :eek:

Good post. I would think the junkier these Derby horses are.....the more volatile the finish/odds etc

GaryG
04-24-2014, 04:52 PM
I usually play the Derby just for fun, but I made a nice score with a win bet on Animal Kingdom at 20-1. The $5 that I lost on Gallant Man at age 14 hurts every time they play My Old Kentucky Home.

thaskalos
04-24-2014, 04:52 PM
I will be shocked if the result of this year's Derby makes any handicapping sense.

Stillriledup
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
I will be shocked if the result of this year's Derby makes any handicapping sense.

It won't and it can't.

There's nothing about that race that mirrors what handicappers conventionally handicap. We handicap fields of 12 or less, we don't see many 1 and 1/4th races, we don't see races where many of the runners have never raced at the current track and the ones that did havent raced there in a while, we don't handicap too many races in front of 100k fans and we don't handicap races that have massive surveillance and pre race security also. We also don't handicap races where DQs don't exist and jocks can do whatever they want with no fear of penalty.....

If youre betting on the Derby, its a good idea to bet on a horse who can take a hard bump and not quit.

Cratos
04-24-2014, 04:59 PM
I have had some decent Kentucky Derby winners in the past (and a lot more losers), but I never had take-home cash like last year when I not only laid a bag of “wooden nickels;” I put the entire tree on Orb.

biggestal99
04-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Super saver-ice box-paddy o prado tri :)

To this day not sure how lookin at lucky didn't, get fourth and a really nice score

Allan

menifee
04-24-2014, 06:01 PM
It won't and it can't.

There's nothing about that race that mirrors what handicappers conventionally handicap. We handicap fields of 12 or less, we don't see many 1 and 1/4th races, we don't see races where many of the runners have never raced at the current track and the ones that did havent raced there in a while, we don't handicap too many races in front of 100k fans and we don't handicap races that have massive surveillance and pre race security also. We also don't handicap races where DQs don't exist and jocks can do whatever they want with no fear of penalty.....

If youre betting on the Derby, its a good idea to bet on a horse who can take a hard bump and not quit.

You obviously have never played Australia or HK or Japanese racing at 3am (est), have you? I'm a handicapping junkie - I would handicap 20 rats running through an alley.

Exotic1
04-24-2014, 07:42 PM
It won't and it can't.

Right and 1st time over CD dirt.

cj's dad
04-24-2014, 10:44 PM
two- Monarchos in a future bet at 19/1 for $10 and the Cavonnier/Grindstone exacta box which I believe paid approx $90 at $15

cordep17
04-25-2014, 12:08 AM
It won't and it can't.

Great Point
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

I'd say though that the Derby favors the pen and paper handicapper. All of the handicapping we do throughout the years builds our whole understanding, and that understanding has to be creative enough for the derby.

ultracapper
04-25-2014, 11:34 AM
You mean you don't remember that win every time she brings you a drink while you're sitting on the patio?

Kind of like the aforementioned truck :lol:

Absolutely I did (This was a long time ago now).

I was so proud of that furniture. It was solid proof of my handicapping prowess. The visual hint of the greatness that was, and still is, just around the corner. ;)

headhawg
04-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I rarely play trifectas, but it's been my go-to bet for the Derby since 1997. I hit the 2011 tri with Animal Kingdom which paid almost $4K. I also hit the $1200 one in 1998 (Real Quiet). Obviously my hit rate is pretty low. :D

The one that still bothers me was in '99 when I had Charismatic in the 2nd and 3rd slots but didn't put him on top even though I liked the horse a lot. The reason? If I remember correctly he ran in a claiming race that wasn't that far back in the PPs. I was thinking that if Lukas thought he was a claimer there's no way he could win the Derby. D'oh! :bang:

PIC6SIX
04-27-2014, 08:46 AM
With the details of your story in mind, is it not ironic that Victor Espinoza who rode War Emblem to victory in the 2002 Derby will also be riding probable favorite "California Chrome" in this years derby. Based on CA Chrome's PPs and derby match-ups would you be singling him in this years derby P-6??????

maddog42
04-27-2014, 08:56 AM

I have a similar lunatic pretending to be me from time to time. He wants to screw all the women, smoke dope and drink whiskey from dusk to dawn. I only let him out occasionally ....

Valuist
04-27-2014, 01:31 PM
My best Derby score was the trifecta in the 2001 Derby. I keyed Monarchos and Congaree 1st and 2nd and 1st and 3rd with about 8 other horses; one of which was Invisible Ink, who was around 55-1. Had the tri for a buck and got back just under $7k. At the time, it was the biggest score I ever hit.

rrpic6
04-28-2014, 03:20 PM
With the details of your story in mind, is it not ironic that Victor Espinoza who rode War Emblem to victory in the 2002 Derby will also be riding probable favorite "California Chrome" in this years derby. Based on CA Chrome's PPs and derby match-ups would you be singling him in this years derby P-6??????

Not sure if your question was directed to myself....not sure of anything yet. I do like to look at the picture of War Emblem and Victor pumping his fist after the Finish Line everyday, as it hangs on the wall above my computer!

RR

HUSKER55
04-28-2014, 04:18 PM
hardly a game changer but I had $200 on SuperSaver in 2010. Now, if I hadn't been betting the last 3 I would be up.

Oh well, so it goes....

jefftune
04-29-2014, 07:02 PM
1994 Derby - Go For Gin at 9-1. I bet $25 to win and place - a big bet for me. I was in Nashville on business and watched the race in my motel room yelling and screaming at the TV, lol.

cnollfan
04-30-2014, 12:19 AM
The Derby has been a good race for me over the years. No life changers but several nice wins. I loved Ferdinand and had about $200 to win on him, at a time when I didn't have two nickels to rub together -- can't remember exactly what was mine and what I had scraped together from some buddies to put on him. Charlie Wittingham's first Derby horse in 25 years -- how easy is that?

I liked Unbridled and had $150 to win on him.

I loved Funny Cide. That was only the second Derby I attended live and the first since Spectacular Bid in 1979. My friend Pete had touted me to all his Indiana cousins as his expert horseplayer friend. We went to the races Thursday and Oaks day too. I had picked about 28 straight losers heading into the Derby and the cousins were long off my scent, but Pete stuck with me and made sure the cousins knew that we had Funny Cide. I made $2600.

I had Get Stormy and Good Lord in the races sandwiching Animal Kingdom's Derby, used about half the field in the Derby in Pick 3s including AK and had a nice Pick 3. I was alive in the Pick 4 for $50k but missed the last leg.

Redhawk55
04-30-2014, 10:01 AM
I am mostly a lurker here. However, the derby is what inspired me to dig deeper into handicapping etc. This is a story before handicapping and thinking about who would win.
A buddy and I won 24k between the tri and exacta boxes with mine that bird on top. There was no real thinking. I liked post 8 because it had won in the past. "I hit Barbaro in 06 with the 8" He like Borel because he had won in the past. The others seemed like logical horses. We haven't cashed a ticket on the Derby since. hahaha

Valuist
04-30-2014, 10:11 AM
Here's a story on the Mine that Bird Derby. I used to work with a woman who went out on a first date with a guy on Derby Day 2009. They went to the OTB to take in the Derby. Supposedly (she claims) he hit the super on the Derby for a dime. I can't remember what it paid but it was huge.

So their second date? There wasn't any. I guess hitting the super with the unlikliest Derby winner in history wasn't impressive enough. :eek:

That's a tough woman to impress.

HUSKER55
04-30-2014, 10:21 AM
couldn't keep up with her "style"? :D

dannyhill
04-30-2014, 10:47 AM
Here's a story on the Mine that Bird Derby. I used to work with a woman who went out on a first date with a guy on Derby Day 2009. They went to the OTB to take in the Derby. Supposedly (she claims) he hit the super on the Derby for a dime. I can't remember what it paid but it was huge.

So their second date? There wasn't any. I guess hitting the super with the unlikliest Derby winner in history wasn't impressive enough. :eek:

That's a tough woman to impress.
First date is at an OTB...... can't imagine why no second. lol

citygoat
05-01-2014, 04:41 PM
Jenny

Valuist
05-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Jenny

867-5309?

dannyhill
05-02-2014, 10:24 AM
Jenny
Forrest Gump

deathandgravity
05-02-2014, 07:33 PM
Hardly life changing & had bigger derby payouts, but 2009 Oaks/Derby Double of Rachel Alexandra/ALL returned about $250.

Allows me to claim I had Mine That Bird! :D

Sunday Silence
05-08-2014, 02:31 AM

My best score was $250WP on Street Sense. Had several big near misses. Had $300 to win on Orb last year and a $100 exactas's to the 3rd and 4th place finishers - only to have Golden Soul come late. I've had other big scores on Sunday Silence to win and one way to Easy Goer, and Strike the Gold.

This year I just screwed myself. Posted on another board I had the Derby down to 4 key horses. Of course the top 4. Said I was going to bet a $20 exacta box, $1 tri box and $1 super box. $288 total. Hit for $13K. Of course instead of boxes I bet combinations to include other steam horses like Intense Holiday (IDIOT) and the one combo I didn't have was 5-17. Had CCurve boxed with Danza and Wicked Strong but somehow now to Chrome. IDIOT. I really thought Samarat was just outside the top 4, so to me the $149K pick 5 was hittable this year.

My chance for a life changing score was in 2006. I hit a $1500 tri early on the CD card. Liked Barbaro to win and 2 stone cold closers to clunk up in the tri's, supers. Bet $10 trifectas Barbaro/5 horses/Steppenwolfer and $5 Supers Barbaro/5 horses/Steppenwolfer/Jazil. Of course the one freakin' spot I spread I couldn't catch Bluegrass Cat. I had a rule to never bet a horse who backed up in their final Derby prep. Cost me over a quarter million.

One of these years I'm going to catch a monster if I don't get in my own way.

onefast99
05-08-2014, 08:49 AM
$1000 to win and place on Street Sense. I made the bet at the simulcast room at the Meadowlands. I came back on Monday to cash it at noon and they wanted to give me a check!

1st time lasix
05-08-2014, 01:14 PM
Hardly life changing & had bigger derby payouts, but 2009 Oaks/Derby Double of Rachel Alexandra/ALL returned about $250.

Allows me to claim I had Mine That Bird! :D ***************** I have said before..... I had the "all" button and still missed Mine that Bird!!

mostpost
05-08-2014, 01:35 PM
I can't recall a major score on the Derby. In fact, I am sure I am well in the red on that race. I do have a story which might be of interest. In 1973 the company I was working for pre Post Office had an office pool on the Derby. Of course that was Secretariat's year.

We each put in ten dollars and pulled a number. I was certain Secretariat was going to win, but I pulled Sham. I was preparing a eulogy for my lost ten dollars when one of my co-workers came up to me. We'll call him Charlie because that was his name. Charlie had pulled Secretariat. Charlie said, "Mostpost,* I know you like Secretariat and I like Sham. I'll give you Secretariat and ten dollars if you will give me Sham." I did not have to think a long time before I accepted Charlie's offer. Of course we all know what happened. On Monday when we came back to work and I collected my winnings, I offered Charlie his ten dollars back, but he refused to take it.

So I won $130 for a bet of $0. I wonder what the ROI is on that. :confused:

dannyhill
05-08-2014, 01:41 PM
My best Derby score was this year. With the scratch of Hopportunity my advance wagers were a refund. Broke even........Hence my Score:)

Xman2
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
Not a Derby score but a big one for me was in 1977 I hit a trifecta at Arlington for $1680.00 on a $3.00 bet. The horses were Set Up Red, Hard Life and Dark Flyer in the 9th on the Turf. Went to the track that day with $14.00 in my pocket. That was in the days of only one trifecta per day allowed in Illinois and it was a $3.00 base bet. The only other exotic allowed then were Quinella's which you could bet every other race. Oh and of course the Daily Double on races 1 and 2. This was a huge amount for a 20 year old kid and it financed my senior year in college, so I suppose you could call it a life changer. I can still hear Phil Georgeff calling the race. "Just Taa Minute"......"And now they're all in"......."The flag is up"......"Aaaannnd they're off"! Still the best announcer ever for my money. Anyone else remember those days? They were magical for me and I am still playing nearly 40 years later.

Xman2

WJ47
05-09-2014, 09:46 PM
It's been a long time for me. The only Derby I ever won money on in the last 25 years was when Funny Cide won. And I didn't even pick Funny Cide to win. I put Empire Maker on top of 5 horses in the trifecta and also wheeled him for 2nd. I won around $800.

tanner12oz
05-09-2014, 09:51 PM
I made around 850 this year on future bets and picks 3's...making it my second best derby...back to back years of very nice scores