PDA

View Full Version : At what point is the field set?

Smarty Cide
04-20-2014, 11:15 AM
Is the field not set until the post position draw? for example if a horse scratches morning of the post draw can another horse step right up in that spot?

will the 21st horse be in Kentucky waiting for something like that to happen?

BlueChip@DRF
04-20-2014, 11:32 AM
I think there are two AEs this time to take the place of the scratched horse.

SecretAgentMan
04-20-2014, 02:35 PM
I wish they could draw post positions like 10 days before the derby........I know there are possible defections but what changes much. Get the post positions out there so we can over analyze this race, lol!

BlueChip@DRF
04-20-2014, 03:41 PM
I wish they could draw post positions like 10 days before the derby........I know there are possible defections but what changes much. Get the post positions out there so we can over analyze this race, lol!

You mean we aren't doing enough to overanalyze this year's Derby yet?

sandpit
04-20-2014, 04:20 PM
Is the field not set until the post position draw? for example if a horse scratches morning of the post draw can another horse step right up in that spot?

will the 21st horse be in Kentucky waiting for something like that to happen?

This should do it for you...

The Kentucky Derby post position draw – a traditional “pill pull” in which horses’ entry blanks are pulled simultaneously with a numbered pill to determine what stall a horse will break from the starting gate – will be held at Churchill Downs on Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at 5 p.m. ET (live on
NBCSN). Up to 24 horses may enter the race and four horses can be listed as “also eligible” and would be ranked in order accordingly; they could draw into the field should any horse(s) be scratched before scratch time on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9 a.m. ET.

BlueChip@DRF
04-20-2014, 04:22 PM
This should do it for you...

The Kentucky Derby post position draw – a traditional “pill pull” in which horses’ entry blanks are pulled simultaneously with a numbered pill to determine what stall a horse will break from the starting gate – will be held at Churchill Downs on Wednesday, April 30, 2014, at 5 p.m. ET (live on
NBCSN). Up to 24 horses may enter the race and four horses can be listed as “also eligible” and would be ranked in order accordingly; they could draw into the field should any horse(s) be scratched before scratch time on Friday, May 2, 2014 at 9 a.m. ET.

Which post is the AE assigned in the event of a scratch?

Longshot
04-20-2014, 07:15 PM
AE gets post position #20 and everyone outside the scratched horse moves down one.

SecretAgentMan
04-20-2014, 07:31 PM
You mean we aren't doing enough to overanalyze this year's Derby yet?

LoL.....yes we are but we really get to the nitty gritty with the post positions.

SecretAgentMan
04-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Is there a list date when the derby contenders workout or do the trainers work then whenever?

sandpit
04-21-2014, 10:53 PM
Is there a list date when the derby contenders workout or do the trainers work then whenever?

it's kind of a crapshoot of finding out since a lot of trainers change their minds day-to-day depending on things like the weather. However, if you are a Twitter user and follow @DerbyMedia, you can get a lot of info there. Also, kentuckyderby.com streams the Derby and Oaks workouts live every morning from 8:30-8:45 a.m. ET.

SecretAgentMan
04-21-2014, 11:22 PM
it's kind of a crapshoot of finding out since a lot of trainers change their minds day-to-day depending on things like the weather. However, if you are a Twitter user and follow @DerbyMedia, you can get a lot of info there. Also, kentuckyderby.com streams the Derby and Oaks workouts live every morning from 8:30-8:45 a.m. ET.

Thanks a lot, I will check out KD.com

Grits
04-21-2014, 11:25 PM
Thanks a lot, I will check out KD.com

Several planned works are listed in this link I posted earlier today. Also, three works from this a.m.

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-hope-remains-final-spots

SecretAgentMan
04-21-2014, 11:31 PM
Several planned works are listed in this link I posted earlier today. Also, three works from this a.m.

http://www.drf.com/news/kentucky-derby-hope-remains-final-spots

Yeah, I check out drf.com every day......good stuff. I guess most horses will get 1 serious workout in within the next week.

Tall One
04-22-2014, 10:58 AM
WS worked 4f on the Belmont TT on the 17th. 49 and change, galloped out nicely, imo. I believe Jerkens has said they're shipping in this Thursday, so he should get one scheduled workout at CD, as well as his normal exercise.

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2014, 11:17 AM
7 more days until the draw, can't get here soon enough........

onefast99
04-23-2014, 04:38 PM
7 more days until the draw, can't get here soon enough........
Will you bet the farm on CC no matter what post he draws? I like a longshot in the derby this year, its just a feeling. I love Social Inclusion to win the Preakness, again just a feeling. Good luck!

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2014, 04:44 PM
Will you bet the farm on CC no matter what post he draws? I like a longshot in the derby this year, its just a feeling. I love Social Inclusion to win the Preakness, again just a feeling. Good luck!

If Chrome comes out of post #4 to #13, I will unload........I will still play him from post #14 to #20, just not as much but i wont play him at all in posts #1, #2 or #3 because the other jockeys will try to pin him against the rail.

Although he does have enough tactical speed to get out & set himself up, its still scary being along the rail at the break.

SecretAgentMan
04-23-2014, 04:46 PM

Forgot to ask, which long shot do you like?

onefast99
04-23-2014, 04:50 PM
Forgot to ask, which long shot do you like?Once the field is set I will let you know. Still a few more will opt out of the 20 that are in as of today.

Edward DeVere
04-24-2014, 12:09 PM
Q. At what point is the field set?

A. Nothing is over until we say it's over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?