PDA

View Full Version : Questioning the logistics of ontrack pharmacies

Grits
04-19-2014, 09:41 AM
From DRF's Matt Hegarty.

http://www.drf.com/news/racing-industry-mulls-logistics-ontrack-pharmacies

While few in racing overtly dismiss the concept, many veterinarians and racing officials said they cannot support the concept without answers to a vast number of questions. “I’m not sure how one would work, to be honest,” said Dr. Foster Northrup, a Kentucky racetrack veterinarian who is a member of the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission. “I’m not trying to shoot this thing in the foot, but I see a lot of problems, and I have a lot of questions.”

Exotic1
04-19-2014, 09:55 AM
From DRF's Matt Hegarty.

http://www.drf.com/news/racing-industry-mulls-logistics-ontrack-pharmacies

Thanks for posting, Grits. I know nothing about the practicality of implementing this, but if it could work then ...

Robert Goren
04-19-2014, 10:02 AM
Sounds like a lot of paper work to me

Tom
04-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Hundreds of horses on the grounds. seems like a no-brainer.
All it would take would be competent people to run them.
uh, never mind.

PaceAdvantage
04-19-2014, 12:46 PM
This thread has been sanitized of its nonsense and name calling.

The next time clocker7 goes personal on the poster, he (or she) is gone. Let this be your final warning.

You can debate the subject of the thread or the post all you want, but the next time you go personal, that will be your last.

Delawaretrainer
04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Another question would be are trainers allowed to keep a small group of medications around for emergencies....... It is typical to have a tube of banamine in case of colic if the vet can't make it right away or even an oral tranquilizer. Keeping a horse in pain can make damage irrepairable in some circumstances. There are really not that many over the counter options for horses, almost everything is rx unlike humans.

Jasonm921
04-19-2014, 10:27 PM
I don't see what is so hard about the concept. The tracks vault works the same way. Central repository that branches off into several betting bays. All accounted for. This is not complicated. If the pharmacy is manned 24 hours there is no reason why this shouldn't work.

Charli125
04-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Another question would be are trainers allowed to keep a small group of medications around for emergencies....... It is typical to have a tube of banamine in case of colic if the vet can't make it right away or even an oral tranquilizer. Keeping a horse in pain can make damage irrepairable in some circumstances. There are really not that many over the counter options for horses, almost everything is rx unlike humans.

I don't think it's any different than a hospital. The Doctors aren't running around with all of the emergency supplies they need, they simply order it from the pharmacy. Sure, the logistics need to be iron tight so that a needed medication isn't withheld, but it's really a simple problem.

This is the kind of logistic issue companies face every day in business. Maybe we should get UPS to handle it!

Greyfox
04-20-2014, 12:39 PM
I don't think it's any different than a hospital. The Doctors aren't running around with all of the emergency supplies they need, they simply order it from the pharmacy. Sure, the logistics need to be iron tight so that a needed medication isn't withheld, but it's really a simple problem.

I agree. Good post. :ThmbUp: