PDA

View Full Version : Regulators Begin Asmussen Investigation

Grits
04-17-2014, 12:40 PM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/84427/regulators-begin-asmussen-investigations

"It's a slow process. We are moving at a fast snail's pace dictated by the PETA organization," said Ward, noting that the animal rights organization may have more videos it plans to release. "We have already done all of our due diligence as far as what we have seen. Our scenario now is to find out what other information they have. That's kind of the same way New York is."

"We've reached out to both New York and Kentucky to let them know that any materials they need, any documents we have; we're completely open," Brewster said. "Steve told me to be transparent in every respect. We're supplying any documentation requested and Steve is available to speak with them at any time. I've been in contact with representatives from both of those states."

New York keeps one of the most transparent databases on equine injuries and deaths in the country, searchable by trainer. According to the database, Asmussen has not had a single horse in his care die during a race since the database was launched before racing shifted to the main oval at Aqueduct in the spring of 2009 through its most recent update of April 10 this year.

Looking at stats for the full years available, 2010-2013, Asmussen started 847 horses at New York tracks without a single fatality. During those years, horses suffered fatal breakdowns (as listed in the database) in New York races at a rate of 1 every 438 starts.

The state also keeps track of equine fatalities during training. Using starts to help define a rate for this statistic, horses in New York from 2010-2013 broke down at a rate of once every 260 "starts." (for these purposes "starts" count race starts but include fatalities suffered while racing or training for those starts.)

Asmussen had five horses die during training from the time the database was launched in 2009 through 2014: Timberah, Edwards, Kensei, Liston, and Whistleblower. In looking at statistics from the full years available for the trainer (2010-2013), Asmussen horses died in racing or training for those races once every 212 "starts," a rate that is 18% higher than the state average.

Mineshaft
04-17-2014, 12:52 PM
seriously what are they looking for? I seriously doubt they find anything. Its just a waste if you ask me.

DJofSD
04-17-2014, 02:30 PM
Ya, I agree, it will be a waste of time and effort.

See "Casablanca" -- round up the usual suspects.

Stillriledup
04-17-2014, 04:50 PM
I have to admit, i'd rather know much MUCH more about Jorge "the legend" Navarro than Steve Asmussen....but, maybe that's just me?