PDA

View Full Version : Another $500 million down the drain

Clocker
04-16-2014, 02:58 PM
The country will need many thousands of high tech workers in the years to come. Since the private business sector and the existing educational system are obviously not capable of finding and training those workers, the government needs to step in and save the day.

So Obama is announcing (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/16/us-usa-obama-employment-idUSBREA3F0JC20140416) that the government will spend $500 million for a competition to get businesses and community colleges to develop training programs to produce those high tech workers.

According to the BLS, one of the areas of greatest need is for nearly a million new customer service reps over the next 10 years. I wonder if call centers in Mumbai are eligible to enter the competition.

tucker6
04-16-2014, 05:50 PM
The country will need many thousands of high tech workers in the years to come. Since the private business sector and the existing educational system are obviously not capable of finding and training those workers, the government needs to step in and save the day.

So Obama is announcing (http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/04/16/us-usa-obama-employment-idUSBREA3F0JC20140416) that the government will spend $500 million for a competition to get businesses and community colleges to develop training programs to produce those high tech workers.

According to the BLS, one of the areas of greatest need is for nearly a million new customer service reps over the next 10 years. I wonder if call centers in Mumbai are eligible to enter the competition.

Since when does "high tech workers" = "Customer service reps"

I used to manage five CSR's in both the USA and India, and it requires good phone skills and the ability to enter data. We trained them all on the job. All were women trying to earn a little more for the household, and all saw it as a job and not a career.

Clocker
04-16-2014, 06:04 PM
We trained them all on the job.

Maybe you should enter the competition.

Just one more example of the dangerous ignorance of this president and his administration about the private sector. And of his unshaken, unsubstantiated blind faith in the ability of the government to create jobs.

tucker6
04-16-2014, 06:23 PM

Just one more example of the dangerous ignorance of this president and his administration about the private sector. And of his unshaken, unsubstantiated blind faith in the ability of the government to create jobs.
Is he f'n serious?? Holy mackerel he's Forrest Gump stupid. A CSR position is one step above administrative assistant on the pay scale. Look it up. In fact my assistant was paid more than most of the CSR's.

tucker6
04-16-2014, 06:27 PM

By the way, the new hires sat with another CSR for one week to learn the system and then were on their own in week two. That's how "high tech" these jobs are.

Clocker
04-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Is he f'n serious??

Deadly serious. Apparently, Obama and the BLS consider CSRs and pharmacists to be equivalently high tech.

In the current economy, for example, many people lack the skills to become software developers or computer programmers, and the Bureau of Labor Statistics estimates American companies will need 522,000 people with these skills in the next decade.

In addition, there will be a need for 110,000 pharmacists, 224,000 electricians and 941,000 customer service representatives, as well as people trained as welders, machinists, dental hygienists and even electrical power line installers.

FantasticDan
04-16-2014, 06:51 PM
What are you silly-heads whining about now? Obama thinks customer service jobs are high-tech? Wuzza?

Nowhere in the article or in the explanation of this plan does it suggest that. It lists the variety of jobs that will be in demand.. some are high-tech, some are skilled, and in the mix were customer service reps. OMG, I can't get to my keyboard fast enuff, the guys at PA will love this!! :lol:

Maybe another thread for the fact that Obama and Biden took separate airplanes to PA? :ThmbUp: :sleeping:

Bettowin
04-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Kathleen Sebelius will be in charge of the "competition".

fast4522
04-16-2014, 07:01 PM
More shit from the inept, shovel ready part two (DOA).

haw about a tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_kjR487TwI

tucker6
04-16-2014, 07:05 PM
Maybe another thread for the fact that Obama and Biden took separate airplanes to PA
That's only really required when you can't afford to lose both. I'm not seeing it Dan. :lol:

Robert Goren
04-16-2014, 07:45 PM
That's only really required when you can't afford to lose both. I'm not seeing it Dan. :lol:Then we should load up every GOP senator, congressman and governor on the same Asian airliner. :rolleyes:

Tom
04-16-2014, 08:21 PM
Since when does "high tech workers" = "Customer service reps"

To Obama, every job is high tech. Remember, he was a lousy community organizer - no skills required for that job! :lol:

"Hey, Obama.....you gave me a Obama phone, but no one trained me how to use it!"

"WE, uh, we, um, we need to set up some, ah,some uh, some training. Some Hi-tech training. WE have these telephone,s and, uh, uh, they are hard to figuire out, you know?"

"Do not worry, Mr. President, Peggy will help you out. Peggy can train anyone.
But plese, speak up, Peggy can't hear you very good."

elysiantraveller
04-16-2014, 08:37 PM
I wonder if call centers in Mumbai are eligible to enter the competition.
Lol Team Mumbai...

"You may not be able to understand us but we're still more efficient than your government."