PDA

View Full Version : The Few, The Proud that NEVER look back

mountainman
04-16-2014, 10:43 AM
Call me old-school, but I cringe when a jockey looks back. One of the stone-commandments of race-riding, of course, passed down from the masters, admonishes jocks to NEVER look back. A quick glance before cutting to the rail I can tolerate (barely), and a sly look under the armpit (more professional than between the legs) can pass muster. But it looks bush-league when riders crank their heads around-or even sideways- in the stretch. Yes, your horse is tiring, and yes, you're probably going to get tagged, but that's no excuse for pausing one nano-second to look nervously back, rather than focusing COMPLETELY on the finish.

And really good riders don't need a glance back to confirm someone is gaining, they sense it (and often drift out, or in accordingly).

Greyfox
04-16-2014, 11:04 AM
Call me old-school, but I cringe when a jockey looks back. One of the stone-commandments of race-riding, of course, passed down from the masters, admonishes jocks to NEVER look back. A quick glance before cutting to the rail I can tolerate (barely), and a sly look under the armpit (more professional than between the legs) can pass muster. But it looks bush-league when riders crank their heads around-or even sideways- in the stretch. Yes, your horse is tiring, and yes, you're probably going to get tagged, but that's no excuse for pausing one nano-second to look nervously back, rather than focusing COMPLETELY on the finish.

And really good riders don't need a glance back to confirm someone is gaining, they sense it (and often drift out, or in accordingly).

Good post. :ThmbUp:

We must be from the same old-school of hard knocks.

Fastracehorse
04-16-2014, 11:36 AM
because i think the jock hasn't set down when he's done this; meaning he/she has lots of horse left

it looks cool IMO; don't do it when you are riding your trike; it's fun

and you want your jock to know who is behind them in the stretch run so they can accidentally/on purpose drift efficiently into intended path

fffastt

BettinBilly
04-16-2014, 11:48 AM
This is conjuring images of Turcotte looking back on the Stretch at Belmont. I remember the Interview where Turcott said "Curiosity got the best of me, and I looked back. When I look at it now, it even scares me." or something to that effect.

Stillriledup
04-16-2014, 04:41 PM
If i bet on a horse where the jock is in front and he's looking back i yell out loud STOP LOOKING BACK and RIDE.

These guys look back so they can "measure" off wins and placings and "Save" some horse for next time if they can.

rrpic6
04-16-2014, 05:29 PM
IMO,The only jockey that looked back and eventually would hang on to win, was Chris McCarron. He was such a good judge of pace. I hate it now and when it happens, I start to tear up tickets, even the virtual ADW ones.

RR

therussmeister
04-16-2014, 05:47 PM
I, years ago, saw a scientific study addressing the best ways to defend a wide receive in football. The one thing I remember is that it was determined that a human does not slow down when running whilst looking back. Based on that, I doubt horses show down when the jockey looks back.

PhantomOnTour
04-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Sometimes a jock has just hit the lead or is moving towards it (around the 1/4 pole) and he looks back....I love that look back. The jock is basically saying that he has these guys next to him beaten and is wondering if someone is flying from the back.

Then there's Calvin Borel on Street Sense taking a very quick and nervous look back at Curlin about mid stretch in the Preakness...I hate that look back.

Bettowin
04-16-2014, 06:29 PM
I agree with those who like it. My take is that when a jockey has move to the lead without asking his horse he is feeling real good about his chances and just wants to make sure there is nothing coming from the back. I'll take a jockey sneaking a peek back entering the stretch as opposed to one with his whip cocked and riding his brains out:)

DJofSD
04-16-2014, 06:47 PM
I, years ago, saw a scientific study addressing the best ways to defend a wide receive in football. The one thing I remember is that it was determined that a human does not slow down when running whilst looking back. Based on that, I doubt horses show down when the jockey looks back.
It's not a matter of slowing down. It's a matter of the balance being altered.

Yes, believe it or not, the position of the riders head affects the balance of a horse.

Milkshaker
04-16-2014, 07:32 PM
A jock who I respect once told me it is only OK to do the full-blown look back when...

1) You know you have enough horse to win by a huge margin (to make sure no one is coming so you can effectively gear the horse down).

2) You know you are going to lose by a huge margin (so that if you are fading through the pack, you get the F*** out of the way so you don't cause an accident).

HuggingTheRail
04-17-2014, 12:43 AM
My jockey usually looks back because he is afraid the grater and the water truck may run him over at the sixteenth pole....

Tom
04-17-2014, 07:27 AM
Mine only look back when the ambulance blows the horn at them.

Valuist
04-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Sometimes a jock has just hit the lead or is moving towards it (around the 1/4 pole) and he looks back....I love that look back. The jock is basically saying that he has these guys next to him beaten and is wondering if someone is flying from the back.

Then there's Calvin Borel on Street Sense taking a very quick and nervous look back at Curlin about mid stretch in the Preakness...I hate that look back.

I agree. Don't mind it at all when they are at the top of the stretch. When you see it at the sixteenth pole, you know that horse is gassed.

Chris Longshot
04-17-2014, 09:51 AM
I hate when jockeys do that they almost always quit or get tagged...Thankfully, when your horse is in last, there are no other horses to look back at...

Problem solved!

ArlJim78
04-17-2014, 10:56 AM
I don't like the lookbacks in general. Ok one quick glance as they turn for home I can live with, especially if the horse has been leading for awhile. But what I see all the time now are three, four, five, six, different looks beginning on the back stretch. When I've got money on it you can hear me shouting at that point, "ride the damn horse, are you filming a documentary or trying to win the race?". Much of it is just hotdogging if you ask me.

johnhannibalsmith
04-17-2014, 11:30 AM
I don't like the lookbacks in general. Ok one quick glance as they turn for home I can live with, especially if the horse has been leading for awhile. But what I see all the time now are three, four, five, six, different looks beginning on the back stretch. When I've got money on it you can hear me shouting at that point, "ride the damn horse, are you filming a documentary or trying to win the race?". Much of it is just hotdogging if you ask me.

I have no problem with the left shoulder looks down the backside and into the turn. Often it's just a visual message to the inside riders to get in or get out because I'm coming over and taking my spot at the fence. Not to mention, if you do stand a guy on his head dropping into the turn and you've given the guy a look or two and he still got himself jammed, the stews seem to be less eager to listen to the crying if he objects.

The stuff down the lane is annoying. Sure, take a little peek if you're on one of those that the best thing all around is to just keep him picked up and carry him to the wire. But the nonsense when you blow past the field leaving the corner, do the little rowboat routine as you open up, and then keep checking back to measure just how far you gassed them by... that makes me nuts.

mountainman
04-17-2014, 08:53 PM
Lots of look backs aren't strategic at all, just a self-indulgent way of gauging the chance of victory. Like a child who can't wait to open a xmas gift.

Stillriledup
04-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Lots of look backs aren't strategic at all, just a self-indulgent way of gauging the chance of victory. Like a child who can't wait to open a xmas gift.

6 or 7 "peeks back" for Johnny V riding Wise Dan.

Tom
04-18-2014, 08:24 AM
That amateur!

Tall One
04-26-2014, 11:06 PM
Only time I can recall when the look back was bad ass was Perret on Unbridled in the 1990 Derby

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 04:22 PM
The Clown riding Noble Cornerstone in the 8th at Belmont looked around 40 different times, and got beat at the wire while "hand riding" down the lane.

Nice. :D

dannyhill
05-17-2014, 04:44 PM
The Clown riding Noble Cornerstone in the 8th at Belmont looked around 40 different times, and got beat at the wire while "hand riding" down the lane.

Nice. :D
He looked around a few times but he also hit him 8 or 9 times while also showing him the whip the whole way.. Not even close to a hand ride.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 05:10 PM
He looked around a few times but he also hit him 8 or 9 times while also showing him the whip the whole way.. Not even close to a hand ride.

He was handriding at the top of the lane while looking around. He had a chance to burst clear, but was "looking" at the inside runner for some reason. I'm not sure why you would ever look around, what could you possibly be looking at. Just put your head down and ride straight.

Stillriledup
05-24-2014, 05:49 PM
Paco Lopez riding in the 11th at Monmouth, looked around about 40 times.

Shouldnt you be looking straight ahead?

I guess i'll never get the grandstanding and showmanship, no reason for it.

Fingal
05-25-2014, 01:14 AM
It's not a matter of slowing down. It's a matter of the balance being altered.

Yes, believe it or not, the position of the riders head affects the balance of a horse.

Back when Kent Desormeaux rode at Santa Anita in the 90's he got into a habit of looking between his legs. Drove me as crazy as the not riding out to the wire bit.

Helles
05-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Wow, I guess I haven't been in this game long enough for something like this to bother me. I always thought it was smart to look behind when leading by a wide margin so you could measure your gear down.

Stillriledup
05-25-2014, 03:44 PM
Wow, I guess I haven't been in this game long enough for something like this to bother me. I always thought it was smart to look behind when leading by a wide margin so you could measure your gear down.

Bettors don't care about a gear down, they want you to ride thru the line. Also, there are differences between a look back to measure off a win and a look back in a grandstanding kind of way. Anyone who's looking back before midstretch is grandstanding imo, if you want to look back and measure a margin, you take ONE quick peek back in midstretch and that's it, you don't need to look back and swing your body around 40 separate times, when a jock does that he's not "measuring the gear down" he's showboating.

pandy
05-25-2014, 11:16 PM
Obviously, the jockey is looking back to see if he needs to whip the horse or not. He is just looking out for the horse, which is smart. I hate it more when jockeys beat on the horse when they have an insurmountable lead, which you see all the time.

MutuelClerk
05-26-2014, 01:11 AM
My horses never seem to have insurmountable leads. Only insurmountable odds.

Stillriledup
05-26-2014, 05:06 AM
Obviously, the jockey is looking back to see if he needs to whip the horse or not. He is just looking out for the horse, which is smart. I hate it more when jockeys beat on the horse when they have an insurmountable lead, which you see all the time.

Its ok to look early in the race, if you're trying to get a certain position, or you want to see if someone is coming behind you so you know how long you can "rate" your horse before being forced to move by an onrushing rival, but when you get to the top of the lane, all that's left is urging, there are no "decisions" left to be made, the only thing you need to do is keep your head straight ahead and make that horse go as fast as he can to the wire. When you pass the wire, you can start slowing the horse up.

As far as beating with an insurmountable lead goes, there is a difference between an all out urge and staying in your "tuck" and hand riding to the wire. Bettors are asking to at least hand ride to the wire, while in the aerodynamic position, just be a rider, they're paid to ride, its not a lot to ask.

Stillriledup
05-26-2014, 05:48 PM
More grandstanding from P Lopez in the finale at Monmouth.

No need for the unsportsmanlike conduct.