PDA

View Full Version : Brennan's Poor Drive Causes Accident At Yonkers

Sea Biscuit
04-16-2014, 01:14 AM
Brennan is OK but Andy Miller I hear has a back broken in 2 places.

Get well soon Andy. Our prayers are with you.

Here is the video link

http://www.yonkersraceway.com/livevideo/

Click on April 15 and race 1

Sea Biscuit
04-16-2014, 03:05 AM
News on DRF

http://www.drf.com/news/yonkers-driver-andy-miller-injured-yonkers-raceway-accident

Stillriledup
04-16-2014, 04:47 AM
I'd watch that race again before i blamed GB for the accident. The horse on the front end just kind of went really slow and George was running over his helmet, he couldnt hold the horse, its possible his horse didnt have a severe enough bit in his mouth and was hard to handle. George tried to move out a little bit, but the 3 horse on the outside just did something funny, like took a bad step or stopped himself and GB was just in a bad jackpot with 2 horses in front of him who were going much slower than his mount. It's not easy driving a harness horse on a slippery track when the horse might not have been rigged up properly with 2 other horses sort of stopping in your face, i don't blame George from what i saw on that angle.

I didnt see a head on, but it looked like the 3 gained up to the leader's neck and then all of a sudden put on the breaks, that horse was very rough gated the entire mile, he was a length off the gate and he sort of hit a "wind wall" or something, it looked odd, it was as if the 3 backed into George.

Watch the replay again and don't watch George, watch the 3, he's moving up and then all of a sudden kind of gets really funny gaited and slows up dramatically.

Sea Biscuit
04-16-2014, 06:01 AM
I'd watch that race again before i blamed GB for the accident. The horse on the front end just kind of went really slow and George was running over his helmet, he couldnt hold the horse, its possible his horse didnt have a severe enough bit in his mouth and was hard to handle. George tried to move out a little bit, but the 3 horse on the outside just did something funny, like took a bad step or stopped himself and GB was just in a bad jackpot with 2 horses in front of him who were going much slower than his mount. It's not easy driving a harness horse on a slippery track when the horse might not have been rigged up properly with 2 other horses sort of stopping in your face, i don't blame George from what i saw on that angle.

I didnt see a head on, but it looked like the 3 gained up to the leader's neck and then all of a sudden put on the breaks, that horse was very rough gated the entire mile, he was a length off the gate and he sort of hit a "wind wall" or something, it looked odd, it was as if the 3 backed into George.

Watch the replay again and don't watch George, watch the 3, he's moving up and then all of a sudden kind of gets really funny gaited and slows up dramatically.

SRU you may be right. Not trying to get into who is right and who is wrong. It just goes to show how we all see the same race so differently.

From what I saw was that George was trying to angle out his horse behind the first over horse into a hole which just wasn't there and hence the mishap. If Geroge had kept his position in the 2 hole, me thinks this tragedy would never had happened. Even the DRF report mentioned and I quote "when he looked to slip out and appeared to step on the wheel of a first-up Fiftyshadesofhay (Dan Dube)"

We'll see how the other members respond.

baconswitchfarm
04-16-2014, 10:49 AM
It was completely Brennans fault.

LottaKash
04-16-2014, 11:15 AM
I watched that race live as it was happening last nite....I didn't care much for the race but I noticed that Brennan's horse took a ton of kash, and that piqued my curiosity some, so I watched it unfold....When they hit the 3/4's or thereabouts, I could see that Brennan's horse was still chock full of life, and I thought to myself WTF is going on here, I couldn't put my finger on it just then, but I knew something was wrong....It looked to me at the time that Brennan was trying to inch his way out, or bull his way out & off out of the 2-hole, and it was beginning to work, but OMG suddenly it looked to me that his horse stepped into the wheel of the 1st over horse who clearly had the right-of -way....That shouldn't have happened, imo, as, if it was a dire emergency, Brennan had the option to go over the other way and crossover the pylons.....Shame on Brennan if what I saw is the way it happened...

Sea Biscuit
04-16-2014, 12:37 PM
I watched that race live as it was happening last nite....I didn't care much for the race but I noticed that Brennan's horse took a ton of kash, and that piqued my curiosity some, so I watched it unfold....When they hit the 3/4's or thereabouts, I could see that Brennan's horse was still chock full of life, and I thought to myself WTF is going on here, I couldn't put my finger on it just then, but I knew something was wrong....It looked to me at the time that Brennan was trying to inch his way out, or bull his way out & off out of the 2-hole, and it was beginning to work, but OMG suddenly it looked to me that his horse stepped into the wheel of the 1st over horse who clearly had the right-of -way....That shouldn't have happened, imo, as, if it was a dire emergency, Brennan had the option to go over the other way and crossover the pylons.....Shame on Brennan if what I saw is the way it happened...

if it was a dire emergency, Brennan had the option to go over the other way and crossover the pylons

You nailed it with this comment Kash. :ThmbUp:

LottaKash
04-16-2014, 03:02 PM
You nailed it with this comment Kash. :ThmbUp:

And Biscuit, I wonder how many tragedies may have been averted due to the tracks taking away the inner hub rail....

It is now so convenient for a breaking horse that is stuck on the rail to leave the racing surface and quickly get out of the way when that happens....We all see it at least once a day "at any, and every harness track"...

I venture a good guess would be, "MANY" ! :jump:

Many years ago when working as a harness groom, when watching the races from the backside, I would hear Drivers "YELL" such things like "LET ME OUT", "I can't hold my horse"....And how other drivers would respond in kind, by either checking their horses as best they could or swinging way wider in order to let the "yeller" help his horse...I don't know how many horses I have seen break-stride and jump over the old hub rails, as well...:eek:

Goodbye hubrail, we don't miss ya...

Sea Biscuit
04-16-2014, 03:24 PM
And Biscuit, I wonder how many tragedies may have been averted due to the tracks taking away the inner hub rail....

It is now so convenient for a breaking horse that is stuck on the rail to leave the racing surface and quickly get out of the way when that happens....We all see it at least once a day "at any, and every harness track"...

Many years ago when working as a harness groom, when watching the races from the backside, I would hear Drivers "YELL" such things like "LET ME OUT", "I can't hold my horse"....And how other drivers would respond in kind, by either checking their horses as best they could or swinging way wider in order to let the "yeller" help his horse...I don't know how many horses I have seen break-stride and jump over the old hub rails, as well...:eek:

You're absolutely right about the hubrail.

There is still one harness track in NA Northlands Park Alberta who is still using a hubrail and that too a t-bred hubrail. How dangerous is this rail for the drivers?

http://i1138.photobucket.com/albums/n533/peter1355/NP_zps3454859b.jpg (http://s1138.photobucket.com/user/peter1355/media/NP_zps3454859b.jpg.html)

Stillriledup
04-16-2014, 05:57 PM

So if the 3 "Releases" George and lets him get in between horses and George goes on to win easily (which probaly would have happened) fans are screaming bloody murder that the guy moved out of the way.

Stillriledup
04-16-2014, 05:59 PM

He couldn't control the horse, he would have been ok if the 3 didnt "put on the brakes" suddenly and back into him.

Sea Biscuit
04-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Licensee: GEORGE J. BRENNAN
Licensed As: DRIVER
Notice Number: YR 38-2014
Racing Type: Harness
Track: Yonkers Raceway
Notice Date: 04/19/2014
Ruling Type: Suspension
Rule(s): 4117.4
Ruling Text:
You are hereby suspended for a term of 8 days reduced to 3 days without an appeal. While driving #4 (In The Clear) in the 1st race on 4/15/2014 you did strike the wheel of #3 (Fiftyshadesofhay) causing interference to him and trailing horses.

Suspended: 04/20/2014 to 04/22/2014 (3 days)