PDA

View Full Version : Census Bureau changing data collection methods...

Clocker
04-15-2014, 11:14 PM
...of health insurance data in such a way that it will be difficult if not impossible to measure the effects of ObamaCare. By coincidence, the new method produces results that show a lower number of uninsured than the old method.

From the NY Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/16/us/politics/census-survey-revisions-mask-health-law-effects.html):
The Census Bureau, the authoritative source of health insurance data for more than three decades, is changing its annual survey so thoroughly that it will be difficult to measure the effects of President Obama’s health care law in the next report, due this fall, census officials said.The changes are intended to improve the accuracy of the survey, being conducted this month in interviews with tens of thousands of households around the country. But the new questions are so different that the findings will not be comparable, the officials said.

An internal Census Bureau document said that the new questionnaire included a “total revision to health insurance questions” and, in a test last year, produced lower estimates of the uninsured. Thus, officials said, it will be difficult to say how much of any change is attributable to the Affordable Care Act and how much to the use of a new survey instrument.

DJofSD
04-15-2014, 11:58 PM
Just another reason not to believe anything that comes from the government.

Clocker
04-16-2014, 12:05 AM

You are probably one of those conspiracy theory guys that doesn't trust the latest Consumer Price Index methodology either. Just because the CPI shows there is no inflation as we near $4 a gallon gas and $4 a pound ground beef, you skeptics think the government is cooking the books. :rolleyes:

HUSKER55
04-16-2014, 03:28 AM
why would they do that? :rolleyes:

ArlJim78
04-16-2014, 08:25 AM
the census was moved to White House control back in the beginning of the regime. no one should be stunned that it is now hyper partisan and serves to feed the narrative.
next thing you'll tell me is that the IRS has been politicized too. Oh, wait a minute...

classhandicapper
04-16-2014, 08:41 AM
Sounds a lot like the new methods for measuring inflation and unemployment....in other words totally disregard anything and everything the government says about anything and everything.

DJofSD
04-16-2014, 08:53 AM
The Census Bureau has been attempting to abandon counting methods for statistical models for decades.

Tom
04-16-2014, 09:57 AM
The changes are intended to improve the accuracy of the survey,

Riiiiiiight! :lol::lol::lol:

If you like your baseline, well forget it - you can't have your baseline!

DJofSD
04-16-2014, 10:38 AM
http://www.bankruptingamerica.org/new-census-survey-revisions-obscure-health-law-effects-spending-daily/

Internal documents at the Census showed that the new questionnaire overhaul would produce lower estimates of the uninsured. Officials noted the new survey would be a “total revision to health insurance questions,” and would produce a lower uninsured rate due to how they are asked.

davew
04-16-2014, 10:33 PM

This is the most transparent administration in history. If it comes from them you can be guaranteed it has been manipulated and adjusted to help their cause.

JustRalph
04-18-2014, 04:18 PM
Middle of the roadie Mcardle calling them out

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-04-15/is-obama-cooking-the-census-books-for-obamacare

"I’m speechless. Shocked. Stunned. Horrified. Befuddled. Aghast, appalled, thunderstruck, perplexed, baffled, bewildered and dumbfounded. It’s not that I am opposed to the changes: Everyone understands that the census reports probably overstate the true number of the uninsured, because the number they report is supposed to be “people who lacked insurance for the entire previous year,” but people tend to answer with their insurance status right now.

But why, dear God, oh, why, would you change it in the one year in the entire history of the republic that it is most important for policy makers, researchers and voters to be able to compare the number of uninsured to those in prior years? The answers would seem to range from “total incompetence on the part of every level of this administration” to something worse."

Clocker
04-18-2014, 04:36 PM
But why, dear God, oh, why, would you change it in the one year in the entire history of the republic that it is most important for policy makers, researchers and voters to be able to compare the number of uninsured to those in prior years?

A. Because I have a phone and a pen.

B. Because I can.

C. Because I have the most transparent administration in history.

D. Because you can't stop me.

E. All of the above.

Tom
04-18-2014, 05:13 PM
They are working on changing the laws of mathematics as well.
5,000 + 2,000 + 13,000 - 2,500 = 6,000,000. :D

DJofSD
04-18-2014, 05:15 PM
Hey, what's an order of magnitude between friends?

Everett wouldn't mind, would he?