PDA

View Full Version : Wicked Strong Vs Danza

Smarty Cide
04-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Who do you think is the better derby horse?

redshift1
04-12-2014, 11:35 PM
Danza runs the first six furlongs as the rabbit drops out while a resting Wicked Strong joins the field on the backstretch for a four furlong sprint to the wire and KD win.

letswastemoney
04-13-2014, 06:32 PM
On TimeformUS numbers, Wicked Strong was faster. But, might as well use both of them.

Thebigguy
04-13-2014, 08:32 PM
One of them is a very likely Derby winner, the other barley belongs.

holmmd
04-13-2014, 09:25 PM
danza

Valuist
04-13-2014, 10:21 PM
Danza running almost as fast as Will Take Charge was pretty impressive. Granted, he had a good trip, but Wicked Strong's trip was pace aided. IMO, Danza is more impressive.

SecretAgentMan
04-14-2014, 12:19 AM
Danza got a beyer of 102 & Dance Fate received a 97......as for Danza vs Wicked, I like Danza better. I don't like horses that don't like running on certain tracks.

Robert Fischer
04-14-2014, 04:36 PM
They are both tough to read.

Danza really got a dream trip in the Arkansas Derby. He also benefited from Bayern not exactly firing to expectations. To Danza's credit he did at least finish very well.

Wicked Strong also got a nice setup in the Wood. Social Inclusion did a lot of work and then Wicked Strong kind of idled into the stretch on the wrong lead and then changed righty, and had way more horse than anyone else. The Remsen was probably less impressive than it seemed at the time as well.

Wicked Strong could have some New York money and be backed much heavier, but he's also more likely to hit the board, as far as what information we can see.

:confused: tough call

Tall One
04-14-2014, 06:34 PM
They are both tough to read.

Danza really got a dream trip in the Arkansas Derby. He also benefited from Bayern not exactly firing to expectations. To Danza's credit he did at least finish very well.

Wicked Strong also got a nice setup in the Wood. Social Inclusion did a lot of work and then Wicked Strong kind of idled into the stretch on the wrong lead and then changed righty, and had way more horse than anyone else. The Remsen was probably less impressive than it seemed at the time as well.

:confused: tough call

It is a tough call! However, I voted for Wicked Strong. WS didn't have an easy trip, imo. He was wide on the turn, and when he switched leads mid stretch, found that extra kick and had a solid finish. In the Wood thread, I referred to this as a Derby winning move. Samraat, Uncle Sigh(trouble), and SI were his top opponents and nothing to sneeze at. With Danza, I was out at Keeneland all day, so admittedly, I was seeing double when I watched the AD, so, his performance is a bit fuzzy. Bayern who I haven't been high on regardless, didn't fire and I guess that helped the outcome. Obviously, I will rewatch it but if he ran fractions close to those of WTC, that's impressive in my book. I think we have to include them both in the exotics.

holmmd
04-14-2014, 09:58 PM
My problem with WS is he always seems a touch slow on the start which spells trouble for the Derby. I will be using him in the exotics but have a hard time seeing him win.

Valuist
04-15-2014, 07:27 AM
Wicked Strong has one thing going for him that Danza, Constitution and We Miss Artie don't; he's not trained by Pletcher. As great as Todd has been in Derby preps, he's terrible on the first day of May at CD.

Smarty Cide
04-15-2014, 08:37 AM
what are timeform numbers?

ArlJim78
04-15-2014, 09:55 AM
that's an easy one, Danza.

Valuist
04-15-2014, 12:30 PM
Considering Pletcher has been a 22-25% winning trainer for over 15 years, should a horse of his EVER, under any circumstances, be 40-1? Could be one of these situations similar to bridgejumpers; when a 20% plus trainer is that big a price, an automatic wager, even if small, is in order.

SecretAgentMan
04-20-2014, 03:36 AM
Considering Pletcher has been a 22-25% winning trainer for over 15 years, should a horse of his EVER, under any circumstances, be 40-1? Could be one of these situations similar to bridgejumpers; when a 20% plus trainer is that big a price, an automatic wager, even if small, is in order.

In the Ark derby, when I saw Pletcher have 2 entries, I asked my cousin, do you think Pletcher might pull the switcharoo, where everyone expects his better horse to win but the long shot comes in?

That's as far as the conversation went & after the race, we just looked at each other like, we should have had st least $10 to win on that 40-1 shot........