PDA

View Full Version : 2014 -- "The Bucket List" -- All 3 legs of T.C

TheGarMan
04-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Ok, so not to bore you all with my life story, but I have always wanted to take in all three legs of the Triple Crown in one year.

This is the year it will finally happen. :)

So, with almost a year of planning, it now stands at just a little over two weeks until we leave for Kentucky. I thought now would make a nice time to start this thread and document some of the process here for everyone to see.

I am not a professional horseplayer, nor a horse expert in any way. Just a regular guy who appreciates this great sport, and wants to take a very important item off my "bucket list" :)

It has beens long "prep season" and like most of you we are now ready to "get on with it" :)

For now, I'll just tell you there will be four of us making all three stops. (My wife, our adult son, his girlfriend and myself). We also have a few friends jumping in and out the various races along the way.

I'll check back in later tonight to offer my take on the planning / ticket & lodging process for each leg, and I'll try to offer any information I learned along the way. Likewise, if you have some advice or input for us, I am all ears.

Thats all for now, just wanted to get the thread rolling. I'll stop back later and start to document the process, and then make periodic updates as the next eight weeks unfold.

We are very much looking forward to sharing all the great times with the other members here. :ThmbUp:

Gar

MutuelClerk
04-11-2014, 05:53 PM
Sounds like a great trip Gar. Enjoy, have fun and who knows if you knockout the derby tri the trip pays for itself.

bgbootha
04-11-2014, 06:59 PM
Sounds awesome, I look forward to reading this and following along.

ArlJim78
04-11-2014, 07:11 PM
great idea. is it one long trip moving from leg to leg, or three separate trips returning home each time?

TheGarMan
04-11-2014, 08:18 PM
great idea. is it one long trip moving from leg to leg, or three separate trips returning home each time?

Great question...

My work is flexible, but not THAT flexible :D

We will be returning home between races.

Gar

Robert Fischer
04-11-2014, 08:24 PM
Sounds awesome, I look forward to reading this and following along.

Same here. :ThmbUp:

Smarty Cide
04-11-2014, 08:40 PM
gonna be a great story if cali chrome can win the triple crown... or any horse for that matter

ArlJim78
04-11-2014, 08:58 PM
Great question...

My work is flexible, but not THAT flexible :D

We will be returning home between races.

Gar
figured that might be the case. I was thinking though that for a retired person this idea might make for a great RV trip. taking in the racing and other sights along the way.

tanner12oz
04-11-2014, 09:38 PM
I'll be at the preakness and Belmont this year I stay home and throw I blowout party for the derby...usually do some preps...by the Belmont I'm running on fumes myself

TheGarMan
04-11-2014, 10:07 PM
Ok, here we go:

First, I can not stress enough that I was not brought up a horse guy. I grew up out in the country, but never owned a horse, never visited a race track, and have no idea what drew me to the sport.

But somewhere around Easy Goer / Sunday Silence, I was hooked. :)

Since the early 2000's, we have treked to various OTB's , racinos, etc, for each of the three races of the Triple Crown. I can't begin to tell you how many bets I made for friends back home that were scribbled out on a beer coaster. :D

Then, in 2010, we made a "day trip" from our house in Pennsylvania to Baltimore to see the Preakness. -- The next year (and each year since) we roll into Baltimore on the third Saturday in May with a small entourage , ages 25 - 45. We sit inside behind the glass for the "main event", but we are still young enough to party with the kids in the infield for a few hours as well. :D

But deep down, "The Derby" always called. Every year we always seemed to find reasons not to go. (Too busy with work, paying for college, etc). We were the people at the OTB, who would always say "maybe next year".

But life is funny. Our son grew up to be a fine young man, he also loves the "game" and now he makes a little money of his own. Just after Derby day 2013 he reminded me that "I wasn't getting any younger". Then maybe you hear about an old work buddy that falls over dead of a heart attack at 40 something, and you realize, its time to get some of this important stuff out of the way. And that (in a round about way) brings me to last November, and the scheduled "presale" for the Kentucky Derby 2014 tickets.

-------------------------------

After endless conversations , I had signed up in October for a special "presale" on churchhildowns.com. Having been to dozens of events in my life (concerts, races, NFL playoffs, etc) I thought I had seen it all in terms of ticketing, but the Derby takes things to a new level. The "rules" of the early presale were quite strange. A few things come to mind: 1) You MUST agree to buy Derby and Oaks tickets on your order. 2) You MUST agree to buy a $25 souvenir "gift card" with your order and 3) You MUST pay a "premium" for first crack at the tickets. (Yes, above face value) -- So, if you are keeping track at home, you are required to buy a bunch of things you may or may not want, pay extra for "honor" of buying the tickets and be prepared to send them your money a full six months in advance :D All of which I happily did :)

See, prior we had searched the internet in advance for those "tour companies" that offer "Derby Experiences" and found them to he horrendously overpriced. Overpriced tickets, bundled with over priced rooms, and sold to people who don't know any better. I guess they are easy and simple, but I still work for my money, and I am a pretty resourceful guy, so after much conversation, we sucked it up, and went the way of the presale. We considered "the infield" (decided against) and in the end, we simply bought the best tickets we could afford. We were going to make this happen. :ThmbUp:

During the first few moments of the presale, we landed 4 tickets in section 124 - Row "A" . (trackside!) The face value is $154.00 each -- We will also be at the Oaks on Friday in the same seats -- A $100 face value.

Our total investment for four (4) tickets in the lower grandstand (both days) was about $1300.00

I should point out that we could have waited and entered the regular "public sale". We also could have bought tickets later on the secondary market. We CHOSE to go the "presale" route, and in the end are happy with the results.

Within an hour of landing the tickets, I began to feverously shop for a hotel in Louisville. (Most of which I learned are "blocked out" year to year by the big tour companies). I found rooms close that were VERY expensive. And rooms far away that were rather reasonable. The trick is to find a close room that is reasonable. :D -- After reading a few online reviews, we settled on the "Red Roof Inn" located at Louisville Fair and Expo Center. I understand the hotel to be about 4 miles from Churchill, and it really was "highly recommended". - Early in the week, the rates are very reasonable ($85.99) however, as the Derby gets closer, the rates rise. (Thursday, Friday and Saturday came in at nearly $325.00 per night).

Our hotel bill for 5 nights is $1200.00

NOTE: I booked the above hotel in November. If you are planning a trip of this nature, I would highly recommend you do the same, as they sell out FAST.

I'll stop there for tonight, but I will say this, like most "big events" there is a bit of a "cash grab" going on with the derby. The semi strange ticket practices, and the tripling and even quadrupling of nightly hotel rates are an example. However, for us this is probably a "once in a lifetime" event, and I'm a "glass half full" kind of guy. We will pay it, and we will make the most of it and we will have a BLAST. . After all , ITS THE DERBY! --

I hope I am not boring you to tears , and also I hope someone who is considering a similar trip can learn something from my story and experiences.

We hope to arrive in Louisville on Tuesday and spend some time sightseeing, and going on the "Bourbon Trail" tours before getting down to business at the Oaks on Friday.

Up Next: The Preakness ticket experience :ThmbUp:

TheGarMan
04-11-2014, 10:14 PM
Sounds like a great trip Gar. Enjoy, have fun and who knows if you knockout the derby tri the trip pays for itself.

Now THAT would be awesome :)

burnsy
04-12-2014, 08:58 AM
figured that might be the case. I was thinking though that for a retired person this idea might make for a great RV trip. taking in the racing and other sights along the way.

Great idea! Gotta put that on my list. Never made all 3 in one year either. Good luck Gar, enjoy the ride and the thrill.

Cholly
04-12-2014, 09:58 AM
Gar Man--You are livin' LARGE...Good on ya', Mate!

TheGarMan
04-12-2014, 02:11 PM
Preakness :

So for us, attending the Preakness has become a pretty common practice . This will be our fourth year in a row. It is a nice easy 3 hour drive from our home in Pennsylvania. Further our son lives just north of the Baltimore city limits, near Cockysville, Maryland. We generally use his place as our "meeting place" before and after the races. From a gamblers perspective, I always do very well on Preakness day. Last year we hit "Oxbow" pretty hard, and also had "Sky Ring" in the previous race at a big number.

For the last three years, we have a group of 8-10 tickets inside behind the glass in "Grandstand Upper Reserved" . It is air conditioned and if it rains, you have no worries. These tickets also allow you to travel into the Preakness famous "infield fest" which is plenty of fun, and nowhere near as wild as it was 10 years ago. In recent years we have seen some great concerts on Preakness weekend from Florida Georgia Line, The Goo Goo Dolls , Rodney Atkins and many others. There are plenty of food and drink vendors at the "Fest". The infield is generally PACKED with college aged kids, and can be overwhelming at times, but no worries, as you are only a 15 min walk back to your own seat, and air conditioning :D

As most of you may know, Pimlico is honestly in a pretty dumpy community, but it has its own charm. I have never been mugged or felt unsafe near the racetrack.

Once you have Preakness tickets, they will continue to mail / email you a yearly confirmation in December for a "renewal" -- You have until late January to confirm your seats and send payment. My ticket contact is "Ashley" and they seem to be well organized and friendly. This year our tickets were right about $110 each. A parking pass for Saturday was $50.

We will be staying at the Ramada Limited in Cockysville the day before and after the races. (A middle of the road hotel, priced at $60.00 a night on Expedia) Not fancy, but functional.

One of the truly nice things about Preakness is Fridays "Black Eyed Susan Day". I think general admission for the Friday races is less then 10 bucks. The weather is normally great, and its is a nice day to the track, without all the fuss of Preakness Day -- I would strongly urge you to consider B.E.S. day in your plans.

Once we made our plans for the Derby, and our normal renewal for Preakness, someone in the group pointed out the obvious: If you are going to Kentucky, and you are going to Maryland, "We might as well try the Belmont" :D -- :bang: -

I'll pick it up here next time. :D

TheGarMan
04-21-2014, 06:25 PM
Just checking in as we have a little over a week until we leave for Kentucky.

Week before last we ordered our Belmont Stakes tickets. The process seemed pretty straight forward, as we settled for grandstand seats in section 3 P U . With the service fees, they ran just about $70.00 each. We also purchased a "level 2" parking pass, for a very reasonable $20.00. This leg of travel will be a "day trip" from our home in Pennsylvania, and will not involve any hotel / accommodations or side trips. :)

Ok, so with only a week to go, we now have all three legs set. We have tickets (and a plan) in place for each.

Here's to a prosperous and safe triple crown season for all of you! :ThmbUp:

Gar

ps -- Any recommendations on things to do / see on Derby week? We were thinking bourbon trail tour / Louisville Slugger Museum, etc. etc. We will have a day or two to kill, and advice is appreciated.

Grits
04-21-2014, 07:48 PM
Regarding Churchill--if you've not done this before.

The museum is closed on Oaks and Derby Day, if you arrive in Louisville early in the week--if you do nothing--but this one thing aside from attending the Derby you will have had an incredible visit.

Go, earlier in the week, to the museum. Try and make a reservation if necessary. There, as part of the museum experience--is a theatre in the round. High above you, looking upward to the second level, turning full circle, in Dolby surround sound--you will watch the film that tells the story of the "Run For The Roses", the story of colts coming into this world (sometimes a filly, too) and their journey to the Kentucky Derby. It is narrated by the rich baritone voice of trainer, D.Wayne Lukas. It starts, softly. Quietly, in the barn's shedrows before sunrise and builds to the moment the gate opens with the thunderous rush of hooves.

I've seen it several times, and it never fails to give me chills. It will take your breath. And remind you of why you love thoroughbred racing and why it was important to you to embark on this travel to all three Triple Crown races. Have fun with your family!! ;)

BettinBilly
04-21-2014, 08:37 PM
What a treat, and what a great thread. Thanks, Gar.

Well, you are not alone in wanting to attend all three jewels of the Crown. I would not say it's a "Bucket List" item for me, but I have wanted to attend since I got into Thoroughbred Racing in the Mid 80's. Like you, I grew up on some land a bit out in the country and my Father (RIP) had a passion for Quarter Horses, so I grew up around them. I never got into QH Racing (too fast and over too quick), but developed a love for Thoroughbreds when I was a young adult.

I've been to Churchill for the Derby three times. All three times were spectacular. You are in for a treat, especially if the weather is bright and sunny and you can enjoy the festivities. Have a Mint Julep and take in some people watching. Even if it rains, it's still a wonderful place to be for the most exciting two minutes in sports. I have also been to the Preakness and Belmont (not in the same years), but there is something magical to me about the Derby.

I'll be spending Derby Day at Beulah Park in Columbus for the final "Derby Day Party" before the park closes permanently that evening ending over 90 years in Thoroughbred Racing History at Beulah. Sigh. It will be a very sad day for me.

I'll be reading this thread with anticipation. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy yourself. I know you will.

-Billy

TheGarMan
04-22-2014, 11:19 AM
Regarding Churchill-- ---

Go, earlier in the week, to the museum. Try and make a reservation if necessary. There, as part of the museum experience--is a theatre in the round. High above you, looking upward to the second level, turning full circle, in Dolby surround sound--you will watch the film that tells the story of the "Run For The Roses", the story of colts coming into this world (sometimes a filly, too) and their journey to the Kentucky Derby. It is narrated by the rich baritone voice of trainer, D.Wayne Lukas. It starts, softly. Quietly, in the barn's shedrows before sunrise and builds to the moment the gate opens with the thunderous rush of hooves.

I've seen it several times, and it never fails to give me chills. It will take your breath. And remind you of why you love thoroughbred racing and why it was important to you to embark on this travel to all three Triple Crown races. Have fun with your family!! ;)

:ThmbUp: On this recommendation, I just called the museum, and made a reservation for the "backside tour" and museum visit for the four of us for 8:00 Wednesday morning.

Grits, a million thanks! :)

Gar

precocity
04-22-2014, 11:37 AM
man that's awesome have a great time gar, wish I could do that one year? :confused:

tanner12oz
04-22-2014, 12:09 PM
mammoth cave national park isn't that far south of Louisville if you want a little nature to go along with your horses and whisky

tanner12oz
04-22-2014, 12:16 PM
Preakness :

So for us, attending the Preakness has become a pretty common practice . This will be our fourth year in a row. It is a nice easy 3 hour drive from our home in Pennsylvania. Further our son lives just north of the Baltimore city limits, near Cockysville, Maryland. We generally use his place as our "meeting place" before and after the races. From a gamblers perspective, I always do very well on Preakness day. Last year we hit "Oxbow" pretty hard, and also had "Sky Ring" in the previous race at a big number.

For the last three years, we have a group of 8-10 tickets inside behind the glass in "Grandstand Upper Reserved" . It is air conditioned and if it rains, you have no worries. These tickets also allow you to travel into the Preakness famous "infield fest" which is plenty of fun, and nowhere near as wild as it was 10 years ago. In recent years we have seen some great concerts on Preakness weekend from Florida Georgia Line, The Goo Goo Dolls , Rodney Atkins and many others. There are plenty of food and drink vendors at the "Fest". The infield is generally PACKED with college aged kids, and can be overwhelming at times, but no worries, as you are only a 15 min walk back to your own seat, and air conditioning :D

As most of you may know, Pimlico is honestly in a pretty dumpy community, but it has its own charm. I have never been mugged or felt unsafe near the racetrack.

Once you have Preakness tickets, they will continue to mail / email you a yearly confirmation in December for a "renewal" -- You have until late January to confirm your seats and send payment. My ticket contact is "Ashley" and they seem to be well organized and friendly. This year our tickets were right about $110 each. A parking pass for Saturday was $50.

We will be staying at the Ramada Limited in Cockysville the day before and after the races. (A middle of the road hotel, priced at $60.00 a night on Expedia) Not fancy, but functional.

One of the truly nice things about Preakness is Fridays "Black Eyed Susan Day". I think general admission for the Friday races is less then 10 bucks. The weather is normally great, and its is a nice day to the track, without all the fuss of Preakness Day -- I would strongly urge you to consider B.E.S. day in your plans.

Once we made our plans for the Derby, and our normal renewal for Preakness, someone in the group pointed out the obvious: If you are going to Kentucky, and you are going to Maryland, "We might as well try the Belmont" :D -- :bang: -

I'll pick it up here next time. :D

im a Pittsburgher who has made the trek since afleet alex to hook up with my uncle who lives in Westminster, md and has been going since the early 80's...I have taken over our seating year to year and we are front row apron box midway between the starting gate and finish...Preakness has changed a lot since I started going but its still a lot of fun...completely different vibe and scene from the derby, keeneland, toga or anything else...not stuffy in the least...almost feels like "the peoples race" or something...

as much of a dump that pimlico is they do a great job with ticketing, the renewal process and the like...like clockwork my renewal forms show up, like clockwork the high gloss fancy tickets arrive in the mail. year to year the price seems to get higher and higher ($136 now) but I'm going till they bury my ass.

Grits
04-22-2014, 01:14 PM
:ThmbUp: On this recommendation, I just called the museum, and made a reservation for the "backside tour" and museum visit for the four of us for 8:00 Wednesday morning.

Grits, a million thanks! :)

Gar

Gar, I'm happy for you all--the reservation assures your getting in! You and your family will have an incredible time in Louisville!!

You'll enjoy the Preakness and the Belmont just as much as the Derby!

I love the quiet afternoons of Belmont Week on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday each year before the big crowd on Saturday.

Talk to your wife, make sure she wears flats--her most comfortable shoes-- for all three. Forget the stilettos. What a hassle; I shucked them long ago. ;)

Greyfox
04-22-2014, 02:01 PM
Good luck TheGarMan in your forthcoming undertaking.
It sounds like an interesting trip.

Many years ago Hunter Thompson, a somewhat off the wall writer, took in The Kentucky Derby.
You might be interested in his 1970 report of that experience that is posted in the link below.
It's entitled
The Kentucky Derby Is Decadent and Depraved

Hunter S. Thompson

http://sensitiveskinmagazine.com/hunter-s-thompson-the-kentucky-derby-is-decadent-and-depraved/

BettinBilly
04-22-2014, 08:13 PM

Many years ago Hunter Thompson, a somewhat off the wall writer, took in The Kentucky Derby.
You might be interested in his 1970 report of that experience that is posted in the link below.
It's entitled

Hunter S. Thompson

http://sensitiveskinmagazine.com/hunter-s-thompson-the-kentucky-derby-is-decadent-and-depraved/

Thanks GF, I'd not read that before. Interesting. I did not know whether to laugh or cry upon reading. :)

Greyfox
04-22-2014, 08:36 PM
Thanks GF, I'd not read that before. Interesting. I did not know whether to laugh or cry upon reading. :)

Thank you.

Hunter Thompson was a weird guy. He ultimately committed suicide at age 67.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson

BettinBilly
04-22-2014, 09:12 PM
Thank you.

Hunter Thompson was a weird guy. He ultimately committed suicide at age 67.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_S._Thompson

I'm fairly well read and have a decent home library (not counting Kindle). Yet, even though I know of Thompson's work, I never read any of it - that I am aware of.

I may read "Hell's Angels" just to get a flavor for his work. It's been on my hit list for a while.

glengarry
04-22-2014, 11:18 PM

It's entitled

Hunter S. Thompson

I read that article years ago. It was part of a collection of short stories from various authors, including a few by Hunter S. The Derby story was by far the most interesting for me. No surprise there.

Cratos
04-22-2014, 11:20 PM
im a Pittsburgher who has made the trek since afleet alex to hook up with my uncle who lives in Westminster, md and has been going since the early 80's...I have taken over our seating year to year and we are front row apron box midway between the starting gate and finish...Preakness has changed a lot since I started going but its still a lot of fun...completely different vibe and scene from the derby, keeneland, toga or anything else...not stuffy in the least...almost feels like "the peoples race" or something...

as much of a dump that pimlico is they do a great job with ticketing, the renewal process and the like...like clockwork my renewal forms show up, like clockwork the high gloss fancy tickets arrive in the mail. year to year the price seems to get higher and higher ($136 now) but I'm going till they bury my ass.

You are absolutely correct about Pimlico being a "dump" and I gave up on Pimlico in 1996 and vowed never to return until they completely renovate the facility which I suspect will never happen.

glengarry
04-22-2014, 11:23 PM
Garman, you are indeed the man. I have one question. On the presale, did you have the opportunity to choose from a list of seats at all price ranges? Did you have to set your price range early on, and were locked into choosing seats in that range? Or was it more of a crapshoot, where you get what you are assigned, sort of like a "best ticket available? From what I read, there is an enormous difference in price of seats, based on accessibility to food and drinks, whether covered or not, whether bleachers or seat backs. I guess what I'm asking is whether the presale allows you to pick the seats or sections you like, with everything Churchill has available for the choosing, assuming money is not a concern.

Tall One
04-23-2014, 08:28 AM
I'm fairly well read and have a decent home library (not counting Kindle). Yet, even though I know of Thompson's work, I never read any of it - that I am aware of.

I may read "Hell's Angels" just to get a flavor for his work. It's been on my hit list for a while.

Hell's Angels isn't the "Gonzo" style writing Thompson is known for, but it's a solid read. Day in the life of an 81 could've been the title.

If you want Thomspon at his best, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas would be the ticket. The drugs he did would've put down the normal man...:eek:

TheGarMan
04-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Garman, you are indeed the man. I have one question. On the presale, did you have the opportunity to choose from a list of seats at all price ranges? Did you have to set your price range early on, and were locked into choosing seats in that range? Or was it more of a crapshoot, where you get what you are assigned, sort of like a "best ticket available? From what I read, there is an enormous difference in price of seats, based on accessibility to food and drinks, whether covered or not, whether bleachers or seat backs. I guess what I'm asking is whether the presale allows you to pick the seats or sections you like, with everything Churchill has available for the choosing, assuming money is not a concern.

Glengarry, you ask some pretty good questions. Let me see if I can remember back to November and see what went down. :D

First, a few days in advance of the presale they did tell us (in an email) what sections would be available. It was several sections, covering all price ranges. That then gave us enough of a chance to search the night before to see what sections made the most sense for us. I do remember that they DID NOT tell us exactly how much the tickets would be in advance. That was a suprise they kept for the sale day :D

You are correct, the different types (and prices) of tickets are almost overwhelming. I bet there are 50 ways to see the derby (private tables, food & drink included, etc) In the end we opted for no frills. A grandstand type outdoor seat. No food, no drink, no cover from the weather. Once I entered my selected "section" I think they gave me "best available". -- To be honest, there was quite a "rush" going on in my mind as I was completing the order :D

One final note: It wasn't until after the transaction was complete and they sent the confirmation that I realized we were in "Row 1" -- A quick google search showed that we should be "trackside" -- I almost refuse to believe it until i see it, but we should have an excellent view of the post parade. and stretch run. (Albeit with limited or no view of the backstretch)

Gar

glengarry
04-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Glengarry, you ask some pretty good questions. Let me see if I can remember back to November and see what went down. :D

First, a few days in advance of the presale they did tell us (in an email) what sections would be available. It was several sections, covering all price ranges. That then gave us enough of a chance to search the night before to see what sections made the most sense for us. I do remember that they DID NOT tell us exactly how much the tickets would be in advance. That was a suprise they kept for the sale day :D

You are correct, the different types (and prices) of tickets are almost overwhelming. I bet there are 50 ways to see the derby (private tables, food & drink included, etc) In the end we opted for no frills. A grandstand type outdoor seat. No food, no drink, no cover from the weather. Once I entered my selected "section" I think they gave me "best available". -- To be honest, there was quite a "rush" going on in my mind as I was completing the order :D

One final note: It wasn't until after the transaction was complete and they sent the confirmation that I realized we were in "Row 1" -- A quick google search showed that we should be "trackside" -- I almost refuse to believe it until i see it, but we should have an excellent view of the post parade. and stretch run. (Albeit with limited or no view of the backstretch)

Gar

Thanks Garman. The prices in the secondary market are insane. I know one couple that used a tour provider that is one stop shopping for seats, hotel, etc. The company even got them access to a few derby parties. They had a ball, but got drenched as it poured Derby day. Then again, the package was a gift from their son, so there was no sense in complaining.

Looking forward to hearing you describe Derby day. Would appreciate sharing things like access and wait times at betting lines, same for food and drink, view of the race, and whatever else crosses your mind. I am hoping to be there one day, but am getting too soft at this point to endure too much discomfort.

burnsy
04-23-2014, 10:31 AM

The Kentucky Derby is Decadent and Depraved. Hunter Thompson

I had heard of this but never read it until last night. I laughed and cried. If you've ever been with your buddies without the wife or girlfriend....its a pretty accurate account of what goes on that weekend. I had a trip like that in 2005, there were 4 of us. Two of them didn't get back to the rooms on Derby morning until about 7:15 am......10 minutes before my wake up call:lol: . They had smartly given me most of their cash (the night before) and needed 10 bucks to give to the guy that drove them to the hotel. Needless to say we left them there to sleep it off. They had to hitch hike to the derby and didn't get to where we were sitting until the 5th race. Still sick, sun burnt, half drunk and covered in bead necklaces. The pictures are still hilarious to this day....one of us even had Giacomo. We had the time of our lives...one of those things you never forget. The weather that year was incredible too.

Woke up this morning to get the news that one of the guys had passed. He was one of my best friends. He had been battling cancer for about 5 months, it had not been going good for the last 8 weeks, lots of pain.....Read this last night and wanted to share it with him.:( We had a "bucket list weekend" at Louisville that year. I know he took this memory to his grave because I will too.

Have a ball Gar, these are the things that make life worth living.

burnsy
04-23-2014, 10:55 AM

It's entitled

Hunter S. Thompson

By the way, thanks for posting.............

mlyles1
04-23-2014, 08:36 PM
It was weird, I read the Hunter S Thompson article this morning and then read this in USA Today: http://usat.ly/1idBfWm

Greyfox
04-23-2014, 08:46 PM
It was weird, I read the Hunter S Thompson article this morning and then read this in USA Today: http://usat.ly/1idBfWm

Wow. That is a remarkable coincidence.

PaceAdvantage
04-24-2014, 02:34 AM
Woke up this morning to get the news that one of the guys had passed. He was one of my best friends. He had been battling cancer for about 5 months, it had not been going good for the last 8 weeks, lots of pain.....Read this last night and wanted to share it with him.:( We had a "bucket list weekend" at Louisville that year. I know he took this memory to his grave because I will too.

Have a ball Gar, these are the things that make life worth living.Very sorry for your loss burnsy....

burnsy
04-24-2014, 06:12 AM
Very sorry for your loss burnsy....

Thank you. Its been a rough couple of months. You know you are getting older when you are going to memorials instead of weddings. That's how life works and that's why you got to enjoy the people and things you care about. I read that story by Hunter Thompson and it was like the trip we had.

TheGarMan
04-28-2014, 09:00 AM
Ok guys,

The stuff is packed and we are heading out for leg #1 of the Triple Crown.

We should be leaving Pennsylvania just after lunchtime today.

Wednesday morning we have the Churchill "back barn tour" at 8:30.

Thursday we are booked for a "stillhouse tour" at Jim Beam distillery.

Obviously Friday & Saturday we will be at the track.

I'll try to check in from the laptop in the hotel, or from my smartphone.

Wish me luck!

(And good luck to everyone here at PA!)

Gar

Shelby
04-28-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm jealously following along and hanging on every word! Good luck and have a great time!!

TheGarMan
04-28-2014, 10:52 AM
I'm jealously following along and hanging on every word! Good luck and have a great time!!

Thanks man, we are very excited...

BTW - Does anyone know if we can post photos on this forum?

I dont think i have ever seen a photo on here?

I better do some quick research :)

G

Shelby
04-28-2014, 10:54 AM
Thanks man, we are very excited...

BTW - Does anyone know if we can post photos on this forum?

I dont think i have ever seen a photo on here?

I better do some quick research :)

G
Yep, you can post pictures. Just click above on the picture that looks like a mountain to insert an image. The picture has to be uploaded to something like photo bucket first.

fmolf
04-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Garman ....good luck i am very envious!.....your gonna have a great time.If you come down to the Belmont a couple days early or stay a couple days longer you need to go to Umbertos Italian restaurant.about 2 miles east of Belmont on Hempstead turnpike (same rd. track is on)and Elmont road on south side of the street.Best Italian on Long Island.Do not go on day before or day of the stakes though there will be a long wait if you do.If you like real authentic German food a little further east is the Plattdeutsche restaurant owned and operated by three generations of the same german family for 60 plus years.good luck and win some money!

TheGarMan
05-05-2014, 10:17 AM
Good morning guys...

I'm back!

We got home from the derby last night after an all day drive back from Louisville. In short, we had an AMAZING time. I do not know how I can accurately describe such an incredible week here for you guys in only a few posts :D

Early in the week, we did the "back barn" tour, and followed the "bourbon trail tour" , and then we attended two entire days of racing on Friday and Saturday. As "first timers" we avoided all traffic by coming in super early (7:45 am) and leaving super late (7:45 pm) on both days. Two very long days of racing in the sun :ThmbUp:

There is so much I want to share about the experience, but maybe for now, I'll just post up some photos, and we can get the ball rolling.

Right now, I am exhausted and sun burnt, but leg one was everything we had hoped.

By all means, do not hesitate to ask questions or make comments. I have lots of stories and comments that I am dying to share :D

Here are a few photos from earlier in the week, keep in mind these are all cell phone pictures, so the quality vaires:

Early In The Week:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-04-29_152202_zpsdf0a6652.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-04-29_152202_zpsdf0a6652.jpg.html)

We visited all the major bourbon places (Wild Turkey, Jim Beam, Makers Mark, Heaven Hill, and Evan Williams)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-04-30_092635_zps8c2ffd38.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-04-30_092635_zps8c2ffd38.jpg.html)

Back barn tour (Wednesday morning)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-04-30_084907_zpse4bbbf7a.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-04-30_084907_zpse4bbbf7a.jpg.html)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953208_zpsf0d656af.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953208_zpsf0d656af.jpg.html)

Bob says "hello"

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953207_zpsed6d3257.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953207_zpsed6d3257.jpg.html)

Rosie doing some training

During our morning walk, we literally ran into Rosie, Jerry Bailey, "Mine That Bird" , Bob Baffert and others.

If I get time later today, I will get this post rolling by posting a few photos from Fridays "Oaks Day" -- We had amazing seats, and were treated to some fine racing.

I guess that is all for now.

Gar

UP NEXT : " OAKS DAY" (Stay tuned) :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
05-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Great pics! Thank you GarMan for posting them. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Shelby
05-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I've been waiting for an update :) So glad you had a great time. MTB is one of my favorite horses. And I love me some Rosie!

TheGarMan
05-05-2014, 11:03 AM
I've been waiting for an update :) So glad you had a great time. MTB is one of my favorite horses. And I love me some Rosie!

Shelby,

I have several good photos of Mine That Bird, I'll be sure to post them for you at some point. Rest assured, he is doing fabulous. :)

PaceAdvantage
05-05-2014, 11:42 AM
Great pix! Thanks for posting them!

iceknight
05-05-2014, 02:06 PM
Wow! This is a great thread and I am glad I stumbled on it. Great to hear you a nice first leg of the TC and splendid pics.

I am kicked to note that you are in Pennsylvania! (I am near penn state right now). Awesomeness :) and wish you a great time at pimlico and belmont too!

TheGarMan
05-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Ok, so Friday was obviously Oaks day.

In case you were wondering, we had answered a "craigslist" add for a fellow who had "yard parking" just off of gate 10 of the racetrack. He was a very nice fellow, and his price was half of what Churchill wanted to park further away :). He also offered us a frosty beverage, and a grilled cheeseburger with our parking. :)

We arrived at the track by 7:45 Friday morning, and we walked in as the gates opened at 8:00. Fridays weather was cool and windy. If you could stay in the sun, it was perfect, but when the sun went in it was "chilly" --

My handicapping early was right on point. I had done some research ahead of time, but mostly I used a paper copy of the DRF I bought at the track to quickly analyse past performances, recent workouts, etc. Most of my bets were WPS, for maybe $15 - $20. I took a swing at a four horse Tri early in the day, and missed. I was happy to cash tickets early in the day on "Brazen Persuasion" , "Handmade" , "On Fire Baby" and "Stormofthecentury".

Not that I was "making money" mind you, as everytime I turned around, I was buying a $11 drink, or a $10 hot dog for the group. But I was happy, as I was winning races and "treading water" financially throughout the day.

Later, in the eight bells I had both "Fifty Shades" and "Milam" across the board for a few dollars.

Then came my "play of the day" LOL :D As I was SURE that Golden Ticket was going to beat my old favorite "Will Take Charge" in the Alysheba.. I went in pretty high (for me) on Golden Ticket to win. ---

Well, I was half right.

As I had hoped, WTC didn't fire, but Golden Ticket was beaten by Calvin and "Moonshine Mullin". -- I did have a small "saver" on "place" so I still cashed, but I was not rich :D That is what is strange about this game, I was "almost right" and still didn't win.

I had thought long and hard about how I was going to "beat" Untappable in the main event. In the end, at the window, I just made a straight up "$25 to win" bet on her, and took the even money. (A lesson that would have served me well on Derby day, but more on that later)

On a side note, we had an excellent vantage point of the awful situation in the gate with two horses in the Oaks. I was literally feet away, and saw some mighty unsettling things in that gate, first with the 10, then later with the 7. Kudos to the fine horseman of Churchill for making sure both horses and riders were somehow uninjured. I can tell you more about this if you want to know.

Early in the day, lines at the betting windows and food / drink were very manageable. However, by post time of the Alysheba, people were sometimes 20 deep at the windows.

Here are a few photos from Oaks day. Again these are cell phone pictures from our seats.

Gary Stevens aboard "WILL TAKE CHARGE" at the gate for the Alysheba

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953379_zps17259cc6.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953379_zps17259cc6.jpg.html)

Rosie aboard "Untappable" at the gate for the Oaks:

(they are both beautiful in person) :)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG_3444_zps6fb9ba44.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG_3444_zps6fb9ba44.jpg.html)

Load in of the Oaks (note the situation developing with #10)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG_34531_zpsa9b32422.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG_34531_zpsa9b32422.jpg.html)

The #10 "Empress of Midway" in a bad spot. (She was quite literally stuck there for a few moments, very scary)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953460_zpsa482daa2.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953460_zpsa482daa2.jpg.html)

The home stretch -- An amazing cell phone photo!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG_3474_zps253197dc.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG_3474_zps253197dc.jpg.html)

Ok, so Friday was chilly (but somewhat profitable) - We left the track at about 7:30 that night, and I still had almost all my gambling money in my pocket.

Out of pure respect for my fellow man, I didn't take any photos of the thousands of pretty girls in their pink outfits and hats, but trust me fellas, the Fillys were amazing both on and off the track. :D :D

Up next:

Derby Day (stay tuned)

BettinBilly
05-05-2014, 05:33 PM
Awesome stuff, GarMan. Really like the photos.

Great thread. Really appreciate you starting this thread.

TheGarMan
05-06-2014, 08:33 PM
Finally Derby Day

We had heard horror stories about Derby traffic all week, so we again decided to rise and shine before dawn. The four of us were showered, dressed in our Derby outfits, and out the door by 7:15 am. We made our way back to our new friends house for our parking spot, and with zero trouble (no road closures, etc) we pulled in at 7:30 or so.

We again walked in to gate 10, just as it opened, no lines, no problems. :)

We had plenty of time to kill so we made our first walk through the infield (not much to see at that hour) and eventually made our way back to the betting windows for 10:00 am, and in our seats for first post at 10:30.

The weather Saturday was noticeably warmer, but the breeze was still around.

My handicapping on Saturday was not near as good as it had been on Friday.

I did manage to cash tickets on Central Banker & Midnight Lucky but I was losing more then I was winning.

Then again came my "play of the day" :D

I was SURE I could find a way to beat "Wise Dan" I went in pretty deep on :2: "Bright Thought" and :9: "Skyring"

The race was amazing, with the :10: nearly pulling the upset, however in the end, Wise Dan was the winner, and I was poorer. :D

Then came the derby. Now here is where I just plain "choked" -- I had placed a large bet the day before on Danza to WPS. I also had several "live" futures bets on Vicars & Intense Holiday that would have paid me very well. But for some reason, I just couldn't pull the trigger to bet on California Chrome. I had no problem betting "Untappable" the day before, but for what ever reason, I couldn't play the favorite on Saturday. Instead, I decided to go "treasure hunting" through the field, and ended up taking a hit. Always a lesson to be learned. :)

Again, early in the day, the lines at the betting windows and food / drink were very manageable. However, by just after lunch time, the concourses were a madhouse, with people sometimes 20-25 deep at the windows.

Ok, so to wrap it up, here are a few photos from Derby day. Again these are cell phone pictures so go easy on me. :ThmbUp:

Walking in to Churchill about 7:45 Saturday Morning:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-05-03_075734_zps04ab2fc4.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-05-03_075734_zps04ab2fc4.jpg.html)

Mid Day Crowd :

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-05-03_1542581_zps864b6802.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-05-03_1542581_zps864b6802.jpg.html)

Betting Window Line. Taken at about 2:30- 3:00

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-05-03_162404_zps1747ccb7.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-05-03_162404_zps1747ccb7.jpg.html)

The only ticket cashed after the Derby- "Show" on Danza :ThmbDown:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-05-02_102540_zps36da9dc0.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-05-02_102540_zps36da9dc0.jpg.html)

The big "payoff" -- This is the field going by us at the start. Taken with an iphone 5 -- AMAZING

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/derbyfirstpass_zps5131c5c7.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/derbyfirstpass_zps5131c5c7.jpg.html)

Overall, we had an amazing week in Louisville. We planned the trip well in advance, and we stuck to the plan. We came early and stayed late so we didn't sit in traffic. We found the people of Kentucky to be awesome hosts. All the track employees we encountered were first rate.

If you or someone you know is considering a Derby trip, I will be glad to help in any way (If you have questions, JUST ASK) :)

With that , I will close this portion of the trip, and see you late next week from Preakness (Triple Crown stop 2!)

We hope to be on the grounds at Pimlico by Friday late morning for Black Eyed Susan card.

Thats all for now, SEE YOU AT THE PREAKNESS !

Skanoochies
05-06-2014, 11:13 PM
At almost 77 ( June 4th) It is highly unlikely I will ever enjoy what you are experiencing. So I will experience it vicariously through you. Very enjoyable reading the posts, and think your photos from an iphone are exceptional.
Really look forward to the rest of the trip and your reports. Good luck the rest of the way and hope you cash a big one along the way.

Jealous horse enthusiast from western Canada. :) :) :)

TheGarMan
05-07-2014, 12:55 PM
At almost 77 ( June 4th) It is highly unlikely I will ever enjoy what you are experiencing. So I will experience it vicariously through you. Very enjoyable reading the posts, and think your photos from an iphone are exceptional.
Really look forward to the rest of the trip and your reports. Good luck the rest of the way and hope you cash a big one along the way.

Jealous horse enthusiast from western Canada. :) :) :)

Thank you so much. I truly realize how fortunate I am to have this opportunity so close by. The best part is we are enjoying it as a family. We are truly making the most out of the experience. :ThmbUp:

Shelby
05-07-2014, 02:50 PM
Great pictures. Seriously, I wouldn't know they were from a cell phone. And your seats were SO close.

TheGarMan
05-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Great pictures. Seriously, I wouldn't know they were from a cell phone. And your seats were SO close.

Yes Sir, Section 124, row "A" -- We were sitting on the rail. :)

Grits
05-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Gar Man, I'm so glad you all had fun!! On to the Preakness.

And maybe, just maybe, a better wagering day. Along with blue skies. ;)

TheGarMan
05-13-2014, 05:51 PM
As of today, I have one seat available with my group for the Preakness.

Its indoors , third floor, section 4, row "A"

You are up high, behind the glass.

If you dont mind sitting with us bunch of hooligans, I am willing to sell it to a member here very reasonably.

We can meet on the grounds Friday, or early Saturday morning.

I think the face value is $110, I would probably go half price to a PA member. :)

Gar

EDIT- I should tell you, we are "roamers" so you will be sitting by yourself 75% of the time. :D :D

TheGarMan
05-16-2014, 09:01 AM
Guys, its a MONSOON... But we are heading out. :ThmbUp:

Should be in Baltimore in about 3 hours.

More Photos on Monday.

Gar

Shelby
05-16-2014, 09:39 AM
Be safe and can't wait to hear how your weekend went!

burnsy
05-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Picked a great year! Its all on the line now! Your "bucket list" may include witnessing 3 legs of a TC winner :ThmbUp: ......,...good luck, safe trip......

tanner12oz
05-19-2014, 09:03 PM
Waiting for the update...hopefully he isn't in the preakness infield somewhere

TheGarMan
05-21-2014, 10:49 AM
Waiting for the update...hopefully he isn't in the preakness infield somewhere

:D Nah, I made it back in one piece. :D

We had another great weekend! The weather was actually much better then expected. I have been busy with work, so I have not had a chance to upload my photos, or write my report. I'll try and do so tonight. :)

BTW -- Has anyone actually received their Belmont tickets? I thought they would have been here by now?

TheGarMan
05-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Black Eyed Susan Day:

We arrived on Friday, prepared for the worst. Our trip down had been marred by major rain, flash flooding, accidents and closed roads. 2-3 inches of rain had fallen by mid morning.

By the time we arrived in Baltimore, it was already 1 oclock.

But then, almost unbelievably, the sun came out :ThmbUp:

Pimlico had announced that the turf would be closed, but much to our delight, the main track went from "sloppy" to "good" by mid afternoon.

I managed to bank a quick $50 on my first three races, and then I stuck out on both the Black Eyed Susan (won by Stopchargingmaria) and the Pimlico Special (won by Revoloutionary). I went looking for "value" and the winners were right in front of me. :D

All in all, a nice day, with almost no crowd, and plenty of elbow room.

Dinner was a Baltimore staple "Pit Beef" sandwiches :)

Pimlico (recently painted red exterior)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG_3623_zps921f59c1.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG_3623_zps921f59c1.jpg.html)

The B.E.S. start
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953619_zps118192fe.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953619_zps118192fe.jpg.html)

Preakness Day

Saturday, the weather was perfect. 72 and sunny.

Due to some morning issues with a flat tire, and some traffic, we arrived in time for race three, and again, won the first race of the day.

From there, we got "lost" in the infield for a while seeing the concerts and the crazy college kids :D

We were back in our seats by mid afternoon, and in perfect position when the "main event" rolled off.

The Ely Young Band / Preakness Infield Fest

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-05-17_121558_zps433d3393.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-05-17_121558_zps433d3393.jpg.html)

Preakness Start

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953657_zps55119679.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953657_zps55119679.jpg.html)

He did it again!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG_3667_zps20988896.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG_3667_zps20988896.jpg.html)

All in all, a great time in "Charm City" - A trip I would highly recommend to anyone. :ThmbUp:

A record crowd of 123,469 were on hand on Saturday.

As always, if you have questions, or are planning a trip, I will try and help in any way that I can.

Ok, so , next its off to the Belmont, with stop three of my "Triple Crown Spring" :)

Much more to follow,

Gar

Izzy2742
05-22-2014, 12:35 AM
Great pictures! Great stories!
(I'm sure there are a lot of us enjoying this thread and usually not commenting, so I did want to comment at least once to say thank you for sharing)

nijinski
05-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Great pictures! Great stories!
(I'm sure there are a lot of us enjoying this thread and usually not commenting, so I did want to comment at least once to say thank you for sharing)

I second that thanks for sharing !

Sunday Silence
05-22-2014, 02:20 AM
Thanks for sharing. This is definitely on my bucket list too! Hope you get to witness history, or make a ton of money if it doesn't happen.

LottaKash
05-22-2014, 02:34 AM
Hey Gar Man, I enjoyed the ride...thanks for sharing....:jump: :ThmbUp: :jump:

Shelby
05-22-2014, 09:45 AM
Excellent!

Also, thanks for the pic of the newly painted red---I swear on my tv it looked pink and I didn't like it very much.

TJDave
05-22-2014, 10:41 AM
Dear TheGarMan,

I understand you've been having a great time and hope it continues. Though you'll undoubtedly be busy I wonder if you could take the time to purchase 20-$2 commemorative win tickets on CC.

I'll pay you back...Promise.

Love,
TJDave ;)

TheGarMan
06-06-2014, 08:11 AM
Just checking in before the "Big One" :)

Tomorrow is obviously our third and final leg of our journey to all three triple crown races. When we began to outline this trip six months ago, we had no idea that California Chrome would be along for the ride. :D

We will be leaving Pennsylvania early tomorrow morning, and settling in at Belmont Park by mid morning.

We are all very excited about the undercard races including the Met Mile and Ogden Phipps.

All in all it should be a great day of racing, and a great way to complete out Triple Crown experience.

Watch for my final report next week.

Thanks to the many of you that have "checked in" on this thread, and as always GOOD LUCK to all the members of this site!

Gar

Shelby
06-06-2014, 10:21 AM
Can't wait to read your report and good luck to you!

MutuelClerk
06-06-2014, 02:28 PM
Awesome trip. Great year for it. Good luck, have even more fun.....

TheGarMan
06-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Guys... We made it. :ThmbUp: Freaking UNREAL.

Months and months of planning have come to a head, and we couldnt be happier. :)

Just a few quick Belmont day raves and rants if I may? (I'll do my recap later this week) .....

First, hats off, to all, as Belmont Parks is nicer then you would ever imagine. A truly beautiful facility . We were all amazed. Certainly a rival to Churchill in every way. Awesom facility! --- :ThmbUp:

Further, (not to brag ) but I had been a fan of Tonalist since February's "future bets" and even though he didnt make the Derby for me, yesterday I was finally rewarded :)

I hate to "stir the pot' , but I did not have a single penny on Calif Chrome , I knew he was in a tough spot, and just felt like looking elsewhere (no harm meant)

That said, I was a little disappointed that he lost. Could you imagine our story? All three legs of the TC in person, and personally witnessing each? Amazing.

As happy as I was that "Tonalist" won, I need to be honest. We were HUGE on the #8 (Commissioner) -- If the Commissioner holds on at the wire , we are rich (ha-ha)

And finally, no offense to anyone, but I woke up this morning to Steve Coburns "sour grapes" on both "Good Morning America", and the "Today" show... Probably not the "boost" the sport needed from the mainstream media. All things equal, you need to learn to to lose with some grace :confused:

All in all an amazing ( and profitable) day, and a terrific end to our Triple Crown experience. ...

Feeling great (but tired) and looking forward to some rest. :D :D :D :D

Gar

Shelby
06-08-2014, 06:24 PM
Glad you made it home in one piece :)

TheGarMan
06-08-2014, 06:40 PM
Glad you made it home in one piece :)

Thanks Shelby, it has been a long six weeks :D ...

Simply amazing!

Watch for my report and photos one day this week. :)

Gar

TheGarMan
06-09-2014, 09:04 PM
So, here it is, the end of our "triple crown" run...

It has been a long six weeks since we left for Kentucky, but I wouldn't have changed it for the world. For the thrid time, we had excellent weather, and couldnt wait to hit the road!

Ok, where to start?

We made the three hour drive in from central Pennsylvania, and arrived at the track around 9:30. We had "yellow" parking pass, and admittadly we did get a little "lost" looking for our spot. (whoops)

Once parked, we quickly made our way through security, with zero problems.

Inside the "park" , I was very impressed with the beauty of the place. Very impressive. We went by the paddock to take the mandatory photo of the Secretariat statue. It was early , and still kind of quiet. :)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-06-07_095604_zps3601028b.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-06-07_095604_zps3601028b.jpg.html)

Our seats were on the 3rd floor, 3P if I remember correctly. We made our way up top just to find our seats and check out the view. If you have never been to Belmont, it is hard to explain HOW BIG the place is. It is large, and well manicured. As someone who has never been there before, it was impressive. It is kind of nice seeing an "uncluttered" infield :D

Ok, so after finding our seats, we take a walk and rest under the outside "Knob Creek" tent, just in time for race 1. We went $20 on Wabbajack, and "boom" we were off and running. I cashed tickets on the first four races, including the "TRI" in race #2. :eek:

At that point, I gave my wife $150, and asked her to "hide it" from me :D

Around that time, I went down, and made my Belmont Stakes bets-- $50 on Wicked Strong, and $20 on Ride on Curlin, $4 "across the board" on Medal Count. That was all I INTENDED to bet.. I was done (stick with me) :D

A view from down low early afternoon:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/2014-06-07_131815_zpsf4c88435.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/2014-06-07_131815_zpsf4c88435.jpg.html)

I then took a beating on Social Inclusion, and another on Beholder.

Ran into these guys twice on my walks.. :D

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG9509941_zps9612cbbb.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG9509941_zps9612cbbb.jpg.html)

As the day wore on, YES, it got crazy. lines were getting longer, and people where everywhere. Probably the wierdest thing was the folks who (obviously) bought $10 admission tickets wandering around "picking fights" to sit in someones "paid" seat. I saw some "mid-evil" stuff going down on the third floor by mid afternoon. They have GOT TO do something different there. These people were just pain old RUDE... That poor lady trying to keep control in our area was "over matched" at some points. Luckily, real police officers showed up, and the situation was (somewhat) diffused..

As this was all happening, I took two more wins later, with Coffee Clique and Palace Malice.

Having been a big Tonalist fan since the February "futures" betting, (and having watched his odds stay decent), I told myself I should parlay some of the winnings onto Tonalist. So down I went for another $15 on Tonalist :ThmbUp:

Finally, with about a half an hour before post time.. I just couldnt stand it anymore. The elephant in the room (on the board) was staring at me in the face all day....

:8: COMMISSIONER...

I would look at the DRF ... And then at the board (27/1)

Then the DRF... Then the board (28/1)

DRF... Board...

All the while thinking, what am I missing? :D :D

So, I ran down and put another $6 across the board on Commissioner. :ThmbUp:

I should also tell you that I did not have a red cent on Chrome... I was looking to "take down" other peoples money, and I'll BE DAMMED.. IT WORKED :D

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG953757_zpsfec3418a.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG953757_zpsfec3418a.jpg.html)

With Chrome out of the money, Medal Counts "SHOW" paid $13.20 :lol:

All in all, I cashed tickets on Tonalist, Commissioner and Medal Count for about $400.00 after the Belmont. .. Add that to the $150 I stashed with the wife earlier, I left with a $550 smile on my face. Wicked Strong and ROC let me down, but they had the lowest odds anyhow.

We did have some heartache though... First, we truly thought the :8: had won the race. We were celebrating pretty good until we realized that Tonalist hit him at the wire. (Damn, that cost our little group about a grand)

Also, my son had a tri box that included :8: (Commish) -- :11: (Tonalist) and :2: (Chrome) Soooo close... But no cigar.

The NBC crew from the third floor:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z249/thegarman69/IMG950100_zps603640ae.jpg (http://s188.photobucket.com/user/thegarman69/media/IMG950100_zps603640ae.jpg.html)

So, we had a nice profitable day...

YES... There were ladies in the mens room... (Didn't bother me really)

YES... The beer was wayyy over priced ($15 for a 24oz Heniken)

YES.. There were too many idiots trying to steal seats :ThmbDown:

And YES, there were too many people... WAY too many. :D

But I am a "glass half full" kinda guy... We really enjoyed our trip to Belmont. So much in fact, we are looking to go back on a "non triple crown day"

We stayed until after the 13th race... Made our way out of "yellow" parking pretty quickly, and headed for home.. Of course, I got us "lost" and put us right into the middle of Manhattan at 9:30 on Saturday night. :D (whoops) We got back home to central PA by about 12:45.

Ok guys, thats a wrap... This thread has certainly taken on a life of its own, and I hope you enjoyed it...

I also wanted to point out that over the course of the three races, we had 8 "various" people coming and going on our trips.. Just for fun, I will tell you that my wife and i are in our mid 40's .. Our son is 24.. his friends are also mid 20's .. Dont ever think that the sport cant attract "new blood" IT CAN -- Our average age for our tickets over the entire TC was probably about 30 years old. . The sport will be fine, if it stops hurting itself. :ThmbUp:

Well, its been a wild ride... Hope you enjoyed!

This site ROCKS See you all later.

Gar

Greyfox
06-09-2014, 09:59 PM
Encore. Encore.

Tell us more.

That's superb stuff and great pics. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

tanner12oz
06-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Excellent job...i did 2 of the 3 and hosted a big party for the derby and I'm gassed at this point so I know you are as well. Thanks for the writeups and I wouldn't be surprised if this thread helps others in the future running the triple crown

Cholly
06-15-2014, 08:42 PM
Just got around to reading the final installment of GarMan's Excellent Adventure--Excellent, indeed! I thoroughly enjoyed hitching a ride on your trip; thanks for the lift.

BettinBilly
06-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Truly and awesome thread!

Thanks Garman. A pleasure reading about your TC venture and the pics were great. I had planned on going to the Preakness but work got in the way. The Belmont was not even a remote possibility.

Yet, I felt like I was there because of this thread.

Thank you.

PS - Congrats on picking Tonalist for the WIN.
I did as well. Would have loved to see Chrome WIN but knew deep down it was very remote.

MutuelClerk
06-15-2014, 11:25 PM
Great stuff Gar. Sounds like the perfect road trip(s). Appreciate the insight and the pics. Well done.