PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Computer Question

Pace Cap'n
04-13-2004, 10:30 PM
A friend was relating a problem with his computer and I thought I might ask about his situation. He thinks it is a virus. I'm not so sure.

The computer will not power up. Can't turn it on. He has replaced the power supply and checked all connections.

He was running Win98, upgraded to XP, and reverted to W98 in the not too distant past.

Can a virus kill a computer?

headhawg
04-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Pace Cap'n,

Does the fan on the power supply spin when he powers up?

That would be a pretty sophisticated virus if it could damage hardware, although its definitely possible.

I'm thinking it is a hardware problem, though.

HH

JustRalph
04-13-2004, 11:55 PM
As long as he has done the obvious........power to the outlet from the wall etc.........

motherboard may be toast.........but a virus normally cannot do harm to the hardware. If no lights.......at all........no power......I suspect failed mb or power supply (but if you have already replaced it....hmmm)

a virus can toast the bios....but you should still get power even if the bios is toast....you should see some lights........

Pace Cap'n
04-14-2004, 12:36 AM
Thanks, guys.

I am also inclined to agree it is a hardware problem.

He tried spinning the fan with a can of air while attempting to power up with no luck.

Hammerhead
04-14-2004, 06:11 AM
Anyone bother to check to see if its getting power? Plug cable etc.

Pace Cap'n
04-14-2004, 07:38 AM
While I haven't personally checked for power in, he assures me that he has.

headhawg
04-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Pace Cap'n
Thanks, guys.

I am also inclined to agree it is a hardware problem.

He tried spinning the fan with a can of air while attempting to power up with no luck.

Pace,

If the power supply fan isn't working, then it's likely a bad power supply/power cord. Have your friend try a different power supply.

HH

Hammerhead
04-14-2004, 05:32 PM
Remote possibility that the replaced power supply is also wrong. I replaced a starter in a Chrysler back in 65 4 times before I got one that worked. All other ones were deffective. They looked new but would not work. Check ground wireing.

JustRalph
04-16-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Hammerhead
Remote possibility that the replaced power supply is also wrong. I replaced a starter in a Chrysler back in 65 4 times before I got one that worked. All other ones were deffective. They looked new but would not work. Check ground wireing.

Hammer....... the same thing happen to me in 65....

I changed some parts on a truck that were all bad. It was in Mrs. Hollands Kindergarten class......I think the make was Tonka!

LOL

:D :D :D :D :D

Dick Schmidt
04-16-2004, 03:39 AM
Had exactly the same symptoms last week. Apparently a drunk hit a power pole and caused a very localized power spike on my block. Fried up my motherboard real good. Luckily I have a Dell in house service contract and they came out the next day. Wound up replacing the motherboard, memory, CPU and power supply. If you don't have quite as much money as Dell, try swapping parts one at a time. If it just won't go at all, I do believe the boy had done fried his motherboard up some and major repairs are in order. Or a new computer, which ever costs less.

Good luck,

Dick

"What do you get when you cross a gorilla and a computer? A Harry Reasoner."