PDA

View Full Version : LEFT RIGHT or TRUTH?

Hank
04-10-2014, 12:08 AM
Definition of 'Confirmation Bias'

A psychological phenomenon that explains why people tend to seek out information that confirms their existing opinions and overlook or ignore information that refutes their beliefs. Confirmation bias occurs when people filter out potentially useful facts and opinions that don’t coincide with their preconceived notions. It affects perceptions and decision making in all aspects of our lives and can cause us to make less-than-optimal choices. Seeking out people and publications with different opinions than our own can help us overcome confirmation bias and make better-informed decisions.

Clocker
04-10-2014, 12:46 AM

A psychological phenomenon that explains why people tend to seek out information that confirms their existing opinions and overlook or ignore information that refutes their beliefs. Confirmation bias occurs when people filter out potentially useful facts and opinions that don’t coincide with their preconceived notions. It affects perceptions and decision making in all aspects of our lives and can cause us to make less-than-optimal choices. Seeking out people and publications with different opinions than our own can help us overcome confirmation bias and make better-informed decisions.

Please provide a source for that statement so that some folks here can determine whether or not they agree with it.

redshift1
04-10-2014, 01:10 AM
Cognitive Dissonance theory more apt in the political posts. My guess that's what he was shooting for. Close though.

HUSKER55
04-10-2014, 08:30 AM
I was thinking the blind following the blind as opposed to knowing the road.

Hank
04-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Please provide a source for that statement so that some folks here can determine whether or not they agree with it.

Interesting request.So let me ask you does truth come from authority or does authority come from truth?

Hank
04-10-2014, 12:48 PM
Cognitive Dissonance theory more apt in the political posts. My guess that's what he was shooting for. Close though.

Actually. seeking to avoid cognitive dissonance would be a reason to adhere to conformation bias.

Robert Goren
04-10-2014, 12:52 PM

A psychological phenomenon that explains why people tend to seek out information that confirms their existing opinions and overlook or ignore information that refutes their beliefs. Confirmation bias occurs when people filter out potentially useful facts and opinions that don’t coincide with their preconceived notions. It affects perceptions and decision making in all aspects of our lives and can cause us to make less-than-optimal choices. Seeking out people and publications with different opinions than our own can help us overcome confirmation bias and make better-informed decisions.A tea party member would get little use from seeking out publications that differ for their own bias. They would have learn to read first. Oops I just let one of my preconceived notions slip out.:rolleyes:

Clocker
04-10-2014, 01:12 PM
Interesting request.So let me ask you does truth come from authority or does authority come from truth?

There are a number of people here that will attack a source without regard to content. In other words, my "interesting request" was sarcasm. Sorry, we don't have a smiley for that here.

Clocker
04-10-2014, 01:14 PM
A tea party member would get little use from seeking out publications that differ for their own bias. They would have learn to read first. Oops I just let one of my preconceived notions slip out.:rolleyes:

Thanks fine, just go back to the DNC-approved publications. And try to color inside the lines.

cj's dad
04-10-2014, 03:41 PM

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/confirmation-bias.asp

ArlJim78
04-10-2014, 06:09 PM
conservatives by far are the ones who are more likely to question their beliefs, its in their nature. almost everyone starts out life as a liberal, you only become a conservative after questioning those initial youthful beliefs and inherent biases taught in school.

Clocker
04-10-2014, 06:17 PM
conservatives by far are the ones who are more likely to question their beliefs, its in their nature. almost everyone starts out life as a liberal, you only become a conservative after questioning those initial youthful beliefs and inherent biases taught in school.

You mean after you grow up? :p

_______
04-10-2014, 06:27 PM
He's as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see...

JustRalph
04-10-2014, 06:45 PM
He's as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see...

Ironic coming from a blank user name

_______
04-10-2014, 07:14 PM
Ironic coming from a blank user name

I think illustrative more than ironic.

I read the original post and a few responses earlier and then heard the song for the 1000th time and, remembering the post, thought Lennon had summarized it's point in fewer words.

I know not anything particularly original or insightful on my part. But what the hell.

Tom
04-10-2014, 11:16 PM

You see that as a microcosm on this board - the left NEVER deviates from lock-step on any issues. The right is generally not all signing the same song. Bobby, that is because not only can we read, we choose what to read, not what the DNC sends us to read. That is why they have the "big tent" - cattle need to be corralled. :lol: :lol: :lol: