PDA

View Full Version : Beyer - move the Preakness

highnote
04-13-2004, 07:02 PM
I think Andy Beyer made an excellent point regarding Maryland racing/slot machines/Magna and the Preakness.

If I owned Pimlico and needed slots to keep my track competitive with the tracks of neighboring states, I'd threaten to move the Preakness to Texas (Lone Star?) or Santa Anita or some other venue with a better potential for getting slots.

Besides, why not have a Triple Crown race in the South or West?

Sometimes you gotta shake the pols up! When they face the prospect of losing more votes because the Preakness is moving than they do by favoring slots, guess what they'll support.

Zman179
04-13-2004, 07:12 PM
Right, move the Preakness to Santa Anita.

Like the Triple Crown isn't hard enough, now you'd want to run three races in five weeks AND travel over 6000 round-trip miles for the middle leg.

Picture that: Kentucky -> California -> New York.

You REALLY want to shake things up? Threaten to run the Preakness at Delaware Park!

Ah screw all that, run the Preakness at Great Lakes :P

Tom
04-13-2004, 07:15 PM
Finger Lakes is open in May and I bet I could convince them to take the Preakness. I'll let you know. :rolleyes:

highnote
04-13-2004, 07:17 PM
Why not Mountaineer or C-Town? They'd love to have it, too. But you're right -- Delaware is the place to threaten to run it, except that Magna doesn't own Delaware Park -- yet, does he?

Zaf
04-13-2004, 08:27 PM
CT would be great ! A triple crown race around 7 turns :D :D :D .

ZAFONIC

Speed Figure
04-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Open up Saratoga for a 3 day meet!:cool:

highnote
04-13-2004, 09:02 PM
Judging from the creativity of just these posts alone, it's clear to me that the Human Resource Departments of the various racetracks should be looking on PA for employees. There is a goldmine of talent here.

Tom
04-13-2004, 09:04 PM
Let the horses race from CD to Belmont two weeks after the Derby. We could shut down the interstate and let them show thier real ability to get a distance.

peakpros
04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
Open up Monmouth two weeks early.

Hey...it's on the way to Belmont anyway.

BigJake
04-13-2004, 09:52 PM
Move the Kentucky Derby to SA and run the Preakness at CD. The lunitics out in Cali think they're the racing capital anyway. :mad:

bigray76
04-13-2004, 10:01 PM
Philly Park is open that day!!! They could put the Preakness between 4k claiming races!

The Skeptic
04-13-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm taking wagers already. I won't reveal my source but it's not Beyer. From a Magna insider....Lone Stars the place! Write off California. It will be Lone Star should they move it plain and simple (of course if CA became slot/work comp friendly all cards would then be off the table). Magna will not reward another unfriendly State with a Jewel.

Kappa
04-13-2004, 11:49 PM
You are all off base. The Preakness WILL be moved to ...... Colonial Downs, and run on the grass!! After all, the Maryland Jockey Club will still benefit, and Maryland will be screwed.

The Skeptic
04-14-2004, 12:37 AM
I'd be in favor of Colonial but that's a ridiculous statement!

Pace Cap'n
04-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Magna will probably move it to where all the Preaks are.

hurrikane
04-15-2004, 10:17 AM
There is a Maryland state law that specifically says the Preakness cannot be moved out of state. It will be in Md or it will not be at all.

The preakness is the only thing keeping Md racing alive. Don't think it will be eliminated and it can't move.

Show Me the Wire
04-15-2004, 10:22 AM
hurikane:

I am not doubting you as I am not familiar with Maryland. The magnitude of this government restriction on privvate property rights belongs in the off-topic section about how government is limiting private and individual property rights.

And Sq thought my examples were extreme.

Regards,
Show Me the Wire

perception is realtiy

cj
04-15-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by hurrikane@HTR
There is a Maryland state law that specifically says the Preakness cannot be moved out of state. It will be in Md or it will not be at all.

The preakness is the only thing keeping Md racing alive. Don't think it will be eliminated and it can't move.

I know there is some law about this, but I also think Frank could find a way around it. I doubt Andy Beyer would have written that article if it was not possible. I'll have to do some reading...

hurrikane
04-15-2004, 11:11 AM
I believe the State of Md owns the preakness. Could be wrong but I believe that is the deal

rrbauer
04-15-2004, 10:11 PM
First, this is another of Andy Beyer's trivial pursuit quests. The idea that Magna cares zip about the Preakness is a false premise.
Beyer, who hasn't picked a winner; or, written a winner for so long that his cobwebs have cobwebs, cares about one thing and one thing only: His check from the DRF for the figs that his "associates" develop and publish.

Second, as has been pointed out in other posts, trying to move the Preakness across the country to Texas or California (Hello Hollywood) is a logistical quagmire.

Third, Maryland racing, as does racing in other jurisdictions, needs to get in touch with the economic realities of presenting a viable product. If the only way an industry can survive is on welfare, either from customer-supported venues; or, from political distributions, then the appropriate evaluation begins with the question: "Who cares?"

If racing in various regions can't make it on the basis of its appeal to consumers as either an entertainment (yeah, right) product; or, as a gambling product, then it needs to reinvent itself; or, die. That's hard, but so are the 400,000 jobs that have gone to Mexico and the 150,000 jobs that have gone to India over the past 10 years. And, what about the "family" farms? Where are their slots?

Next time that you are in an inner-city location; or, coming off a freeway offramp and you are hustled for a handout, take a second look. Last year's leading trainer?

Nah!

The Skeptic
04-15-2004, 10:26 PM
Regarding your Beyer comments.

Let's not forget that he's not afraid to write about things that others are afraid to. Let's give the DRF credit for printing sometimes his critical comments about the industry whereas others are afraid to rock the boat. Beyer has been around long enough not to worry about what others think of him and we need more like him.

As for picking winners - I'm not going to worry about whether he picks winners or not. I pick my own winners as I pick some phenomenal loosers too!

penguinfan
04-18-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
CT would be great ! A triple crown race around 7 turns :D :D :D .

ZAFONIC

LMAO

Richard
04-20-2004, 09:53 PM
IMHO,moving any of the Triple Crown races away from their home tracks would be like trying to move The Masters away from Augusta National or The World Series Of Poker away from Binion's Horsehoe.Aint gonna happen.Like it or not,the Triple Crown is as much about tradition as much as anything else.The Breeders' Cup Day moves around every year and showcases a different track each time.That's logistical nightmare enough.Leave the Triple Crown just as it is.
Richard