PDA

View Full Version : Runkle--Breaking Slow

pandy
04-08-2014, 07:49 AM
There's a horse named Runkle that raced in the 9th at Gulfstream Sunday. This horse was a good gate horse when he started his career. He broke fine in his first 7 starts and even showed speed. Then he was claimed and he broke slow and he was claimed by David Vivian. He has raced three times for Vivian and his gate problems have worsened. In his last two starts he essentially refused to break.

Somewhere along the line he was gelded, but I'm not sure when. My guess is that he does not like the way he has been handled. Either he didn't like being gelded or he simply does not like his current handlers. I wonder if he would improve if back in his original barn.

If any of you have training experience, I'd like to hear your thoughts. How does a horse go from a clean breaker to a horse that refuses to break? Vivian gave the horse 5 straight gate works prior to last, didn't help.

lamboguy
04-08-2014, 09:10 AM
we had that horse, my partner got him straightened out right now. sometimes when a horse is in a different paddock and doesn't like something about the surroundings they will act up. when RUNKLE got to the farm he acted up in the gate, he has been behaving and his last work was in 46 and change which is science fiction fast for that training track.

lamboguy
04-08-2014, 09:19 AM
there is probably something bothering him in Gulfstream, a change of venue might help in this case.

pandy
04-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Mike Welsh said that he had worked well from the gate prior to Sunday's start, but once again he dwelt. Not a happy horse.

ultracapper
04-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Something about the routine on race day upsets him?

Show Me the Wire
04-08-2014, 01:37 PM
Something about the routine on race day upsets him?

Yes, the race itself. It is an indication the horse has soured on racing.

CryingForTheHorses
04-08-2014, 02:20 PM
Lots of times in the morning gate works,The horses are left to stand by themselves,Most times they break clean.This guy could very well be worried about the guy standing beside him and may be worried that he will hit him when he breaks,He may also not like the handler holding him.I would request he be left alone at the break.He also may have something bothering him in behind .My guess is that he doesnt want a handler beside him making him worry...JMO