PDA

View Full Version : 40 years ago today

Marshall Bennett
04-08-2014, 07:43 AM
"Hammerin" Hank hit #715 against Al Downing of the Dodgers. As far as I'm concerned, the record still stands.

Robert Goren
04-08-2014, 08:21 AM
So does almost everybody else.

Valuist
04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
20 years ago today Kurt Cobain committed suicide.

Robert Goren
04-08-2014, 11:15 AM
20 years ago today Kurt Cobain committed suicide.If I live to be a hundred, I'll never get that one.

TheEdge07
04-08-2014, 01:13 PM
"Hammerin" Hank hit #715 against Al Downing of the Dodgers. As far as I'm concerned, the record still stands.

Barry Bonds owns the record period.And Hammerin Hank isnt in the same league as Bonds.

Robert Goren
04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
That would be league of people who will never seen the inside of Cooperstown.

TheEdge07
04-08-2014, 03:07 PM
That would be league of people who will never seen the inside of Cooperstown.

So the boys in the 60's and 70's werent using some drug to keep awake?:bang: :D which is banned by mlb..

Valuist
04-08-2014, 03:14 PM
So the boys in the 60's and 70's werent using some drug to keep awake?:bang: :D which is banned by mlb..

Basically strong caffeine. Big deal. You didn't have all the energy drinks back then. Aaron's hat size never increased. Never had the bloated, puffy look of Bonds. You aren't trying to compare amphetamines to HGH, are you?

Marshall Bennett
04-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Barry Bonds owns the record period.And Hammerin Hank isnt in the same league as Bonds.
Bonds may hold the record, but forget the "period". History may decide he's not even worthy of consideration. Unlike with many others accused of cheating, with Bonds there's little doubt.
If the majority of fans don't respect the record, what difference does it really make anyway?

TheEdge07
04-08-2014, 06:41 PM
Basically strong caffeine. Big deal. You didn't have all the energy drinks back then. Aaron's hat size never increased. Never had the bloated, puffy look of Bonds. You aren't trying to compare amphetamines to HGH, are you?

46% percent of minor leaguers are juicing or hgh,,,where are the steroids stats?
Amphetamines if no big deal then why banned?

Bonds 72 hrs 98% of them were no doubters..so without the juice they only travel 340Ft..don think so.

And yes the 98% is a fact...

TheEdge07
04-08-2014, 06:42 PM
Bonds may hold the record, but forget the "period". History may decide he's not even worthy of consideration. Unlike with many others accused of cheating, with Bonds there's little doubt.
If the majority of fans don't respect the record, what difference does it really make anyway?

One more fact Bonds never tested positive fact..Of course we know he used but the fact remains he never tested positive.

Marshall Bennett
04-08-2014, 07:48 PM
Okay.....:bang:. He'll never be in Cooperstown with Aaron which suggest the numbers he posted don't mean a lot. As I stated previously, without the respect of the baseball world including the voters of the Hall of Fame, you could just as well erase his name. Few care what numbers he had.

JustRalph
04-08-2014, 08:12 PM
50 years ago today, Pete Rose played in his first MLB game

He had one at bat and walked

Nobody knew there were 4256 hits to come........ :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
04-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Pete Rose's injustice is the worst thing to happen to MLB. Pete is quite possibly the best player ever

Marshall Bennett
04-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Pete Rose's injustice is the worst thing to happen to MLB. Pete is quite possibly the best player ever
His record hits will stand.

JustRalph
04-09-2014, 01:43 AM

You're just trying to get on my good side :lol:

You know how I feel about him. I agree. 5 different positions too.

Stillriledup
04-09-2014, 04:09 AM
So does almost everybody else.

If we don't honor the actual record in the book, we could say that about anyone at any time. How would you like it if i decided that i didnt 'honor' the time that your favorite team won the World Series? I didnt accept them as champions. David Ortiz is a member of the Red Sox, does that mean they didnt really win the series last year, or when they had Manny Ramirez, they didnt win those serieses either? Maybe the Yankees win in 2009 didnt really happen because A Rod was on the team.

Its hard to pick and choose which records you want to honor, but if you do pick and choose, that opens up the ability for all of us to pick and choose which statistics and which winning teams we want to 'not recognize'.

Just a little bit of a slippery slope.

Marshall Bennett
04-09-2014, 05:06 AM
No, his former teammates shouldn't be punished. I do however have a problem giving his personal achievements any respect.

Stillriledup
04-09-2014, 05:33 AM
No, his former teammates shouldn't be punished. I do however have a problem giving his personal achievements any respect.

So, if Bonds had a World series trophy on his mantle, you would be willing to let him have the trophy as long as you were able to essentially "erase" his personal stats? Seems like if you want his stats stricken from the record, you should want his trophy taken away too, right?

You say the former teammates shouldnt be punished, but if the steroids are a big enough deal to strike records from the books, couldnt you make the case that you're not really punishing his teammates by taking THEIR world series trophy away (if they had one with Bonds as a Teammate) because without the steroid use of at least one player, a strong case could at least be made that they wouldnt have won that title anyway?

rastajenk
04-09-2014, 08:50 AM
50 years ago today, Pete Rose played in his first MLB game

He had one at bat and walkedActually, he probably ran (to first).

Robert Goren
04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
The sad thing about Bonds is that he didn't need to do it. He was already the best hitter of his era.

Valuist
04-09-2014, 09:51 AM
The sad thing about Bonds is that he didn't need to do it. He was already the best hitter of his era.

Thats true. He'll get in to the HoF at some point, basically on his resume before 1999.

Marshall Bennett
04-09-2014, 01:10 PM
So, if Bonds had a World series trophy on his mantle, you would be willing to let him have the trophy as long as you were able to essentially "erase" his personal stats? Seems like if you want his stats stricken from the record, you should want his trophy taken away too, right?

You say the former teammates shouldnt be punished, but if the steroids are a big enough deal to strike records from the books, couldnt you make the case that you're not really punishing his teammates by taking THEIR world series trophy away (if they had one with Bonds as a Teammate) because without the steroid use of at least one player, a strong case could at least be made that they wouldnt have won that title anyway?
Where do you come up with my assumption to all of this from my post, all of 2 sentences having little to do with what you've posted here?

JustRalph
04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

I don't buy it. How many warning track fly balls ended up going out instead of being caught?

By doing it he turned the emphasis on the long ball into his glory. It elevated his profile like no other.

He was a good player, but he turned himself into a larger than life sports figure.

Valuist
04-09-2014, 01:46 PM
I don't buy it. How many warning track fly balls ended up going out instead of being caught?

By doing it he turned the emphasis on the long ball into his glory. It elevated his profile like no other.

He was a good player, but he turned himself into a larger than life sports figure.

Check out his numbers pre-1999. Pretty good. His size increase came between the 1998 and 1999 seasons. Rumor has it he was jealous of all the attention McGwire and Sosa received so thats when he turned to roids.

NJ Stinks
04-09-2014, 03:09 PM
I saw Barry Bonds play in July 1987 in Cincinnati. He was in his second year in the majors with Pittsburgh and 23 years old. Here's what I remember:

1. He played center and he obviously loafed going after a fly ball(s).

2. He was skinny - definitely built like a center fielder.

The guy I saw bears no resemblance to the guy younger guys here remember. To say that Barry was destined for the Hall of Fame long before he became Shrek is preposterous to me. He was a guy with a bad attitude - unless you think lack of hustle is a good thing - who had some power.

One more thing. In my opinion, Bobby Bonds was a better ballplayer than his son for at least the first 5 or 6 seasons both played. And I don't think most people thought Bobby was ever destined for the Hall of Fame.

NJ Stinks
04-09-2014, 03:17 PM
On second thought, I'll change my last sentence. Bobby Bonds may have had Hall of Fame potential after 5 or 6 years in the majors.

JustRalph
04-09-2014, 03:30 PM
I read somewhere that Bonds actual helmet size went up a full size and a half from the time he started until the end. How does that happen?

http://www.cougarradio.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Bonds-comparison.jpg

PaceAdvantage
04-09-2014, 03:33 PM
He's back to his old self now...wonder if his head shrunk?

http://guestofaguest.com/wp-content/uploads/wppa/Barry_Bonds3.jpg

Valuist
04-09-2014, 03:57 PM
I saw Barry Bonds play in July 1987 in Cincinnati. He was in his second year in the majors with Pittsburgh and 23 years old. Here's what I remember:

1. He played center and he obviously loafed going after a fly ball(s).

2. He was skinny - definitely built like a center fielder.

The guy I saw bears no resemblance to the guy younger guys here remember. To say that Barry was destined for the Hall of Fame long before he became Shrek is preposterous to me. He was a guy with a bad attitude - unless you think lack of hustle is a good thing - who had some power.

One more thing. In my opinion, Bobby Bonds was a better ballplayer than his son for at least the first 5 or 6 seasons both played. And I don't think most people thought Bobby was ever destined for the Hall of Fame.

Here's the reality: Bonds had won THREE MVPs before the 1994 season was even played. I'm not a Giants fan or particularly a Bonds fan, but lets get the facts straight.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

Stillriledup
04-09-2014, 04:16 PM
Where do you come up with my assumption to all of this from my post, all of 2 sentences having little to do with what you've posted here?

Maybe you need to explain post 18 to me as i obviously didnt understand what you were trying to say.

NJ Stinks
04-09-2014, 04:19 PM
Here's the reality: Bonds had won THREE MVPs before the 1994 season was even played. I'm not a Giants fan or particularly a Bonds fan, but lets get the facts straight.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bondsba01.shtml

Good point.