PDA

View Full Version : Triple Crown - Pedigree Newbie

TheGarMan
04-07-2014, 04:21 PM
I'll admit that one of the areas I tend to overlook on derby day is a contenders pedigree. I tend to get tied up in prep races, workouts, track conditions, etc.

As someone who is still learning this delicate game, I have to ask, on a elementary level is it as easy as doing the research as to what Daddy and Granddaddy did? :bang: -

All the major sites offer pedigree back a few generations, so I got to digging. Based on a day or so of research, I have come up with a few interesting angles.

To me (the noob) this years heavy hitters on pedigree alone would be (in no order) :

Tapiture
Ring Weekend
Constitution
Hoppertunity
Wicked Strong
We Miss Artie

With my eyes now a little more opened, I will continue to review pedigree.

To be honest, I may have already stumbled on some interesting angles that lead me to a horse I wasn't previously considering.

Any advice for the budding pedigree researcher? Any horses on the trail that I may have overlooked with killer pedigree? How much does pedigree matter to you when 'capping triple crown races?

Feel free to offer any advice, criticism or discussion. :)

tanner12oz
04-07-2014, 06:03 PM
Raise a native

turninforhome10
04-07-2014, 06:34 PM
Here is a link to a thread I wrote during I'll Have Another's Derby. It has some good stats and research. http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=91344&page=1&pp=15

sbcaris
04-08-2014, 06:48 PM
Here is one pedigree angle that carries clout. Horses with the Raise A Native sire line have accounted for 18 Kentucky Derbies dating back to Majestic Prince in 1969. The last one was I'll Have Another in 2012. These types comprise only 25% of the Derby starters but make up around 50% of the Derby winners. For an impact value of 2.00 (50% winners divided by 25% of the starters equals 2.00).

I have a whole section dealing with this factor in my book--Analyzing the Triple Crown which can be purchased at American Turf Monthly.

Robert Fischer
04-08-2014, 09:56 PM
good link from Tom in another thread on some basic pedigree info on some of them
http://www.chef-de-race.com/dosage/classics/2014/2014_triple_crown_trail.htm

SecretAgentMan
04-09-2014, 02:27 PM
I believe there are several dual qualifiers this year as well........

SecretAgentMan
04-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Anyone have the Tomlinson ratings for this years 3 year old derby probables?