PDA

View Full Version : WILDCAT RED should duck Derby?

greengorilla
04-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Should Wildcat Red duck Derby to win Preakness? Any thoughts?

Stillriledup
04-05-2014, 10:07 PM
Connections rarely do the smart thing and skip "the next dance" and "do right by the horse" when this particular race, on the first Saturday in May, is the race in question.

Do you have any insight that these people will put the horse first and their 'dreams' second?

andtheyreoff
04-05-2014, 11:33 PM
Connections rarely do the smart thing and skip "the next dance" and "do right by the horse" when this particular race, on the first Saturday in May, is the race in question.

Do you have any insight that these people will put the horse first and their 'dreams' second?

He was a photo finish away from being one of the Derby favorites. As long as he's doing well, his people have every right to run him there.

Valuist
04-05-2014, 11:42 PM
He's clear thru :48 1/5 at GP and he still couldn't hold off Constitution. Nobody is going to coast along in front thru 48 1/5 in Louisville. I don't think the Derby is the right spot for him. Maybe the Illinois Derby, but not the KY Derby.

Tom
04-06-2014, 09:37 AM
Of course they can run him there if they want, but means they put "party" ahead of the horse. He has no shot in the Derby.
He could, however, turn into a very good middle distance horse.

horses4courses
04-06-2014, 11:56 AM
Imagine an owner putting that question to Wayne Lukas? :lol:

magwell
04-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Many a "nice horse" has been ruined by Derby fever, that will never change

Tom
04-06-2014, 12:45 PM
The Derby has always been happy to allow idiots to run their horse in it.
If they could fit 30 on the track, they would do it.

Maybe like harness, they put 21 - 30 BEHIND 1-10, but make them the lowest point earners to make it fair. :rolleyes:

Stillriledup
04-06-2014, 04:36 PM
He was a photo finish away from being one of the Derby favorites. As long as he's doing well, his people have every right to run him there.

They could do whatever they want, but then we can't complain about short fields and horse shortages. Think of all the quality horses who have already been ruined just in the last 6 months trying to 'chase this dream'?

The list is long and i'm sure will get longer in the next month.

cj
04-06-2014, 04:45 PM
They could do whatever they want, but then we can't complain about short fields and horse shortages. Think of all the quality horses who have already been ruined just in the last 6 months trying to 'chase this dream'?

The list is long and i'm sure will get longer in the next month.

Of course not taking a chance and looking for the ideal spots is a bigger reason for short fields than injured horses, but I guess that doesn't matter.

dannyhill
04-06-2014, 04:49 PM
Wrong place for this but is there a way to not see what someone posts?
Black out or ignore option?
Thanks

cj
04-06-2014, 04:54 PM
Wrong place for this but is there a way to not see what someone posts?
Black out or ignore option?
Thanks

Yes, in your profile. Was my post that bad?

dannyhill
04-06-2014, 05:02 PM
Yes, in your profile. Was my post that bad?
Not you're posts.... mine

cj
04-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Not you're posts.... mine

So you don't see your own posts? I really don't know. You can try adding your own name to the ignore list available in your profile. I don't know if it will work.

dannyhill
04-06-2014, 05:07 PM
So you don't see your own posts? I really don't know. You can try adding your own name to the ignore list available in your profile. I don't know if it will work.
No i see them. Was joking with u that my posts were that bad. Was just curious how to block seeing someone's if wanting to.

Stillriledup
04-06-2014, 05:14 PM
Of course not taking a chance and looking for the ideal spots is a bigger reason for short fields than injured horses, but I guess that doesn't matter.

I think that owners as a whole would have more running opportunities if they managed their stock like they actually knew something about the game. Less horses would be injured if owners were smarter about when and where they ran.

Sure, you will get on occasion an owner skipping a spot and then his or her race doesnt fill and they end up sitting out for a week or two shopping for a place to run, but isnt that better than rushing the horse into a situation where they are outclassed or running at the wrong distance or wrong surface?

cj
04-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Sure, you will get on occasion an owner skipping a spot and then his or her race doesnt fill and they end up sitting out for a week or two shopping for a place to run, but isnt that better than rushing the horse into a situation where they are outclassed or running at the wrong distance or wrong surface?

I think running horses too deep is a very exaggerated reason for horses going wrong. Horses get badly beaten every day and come out of it just fine.

dannyhill
04-06-2014, 05:22 PM
With the triple crown being run early in their 3yr old campaigns there will always be rushing or running in the wrong spots. Derby fever i am sure has influenced many.

CryingForTheHorses
04-06-2014, 07:35 PM
I think that owners as a whole would have more running opportunities if they managed their stock like they actually knew something about the game. Less horses would be injured if owners were smarter about when and where they ran.

Im wondering if you would think this very thing if it was your horse in the derby!!...I dont think so..Catch that derby fever and there is no stopping you ,Doesnt matter what the horse thinks :lol: ...But I do agree...Many horses are ruined by the greed of man!

greengorilla
04-06-2014, 08:49 PM
I really think WildCat Red would air them in the preakness if they decide to skip the derby. If I owned him that would be my play. But hey it's good to know I'm not the only one who feels that way.

affirmedny
04-06-2014, 08:59 PM
I think running horses too deep is a very exaggerated reason for horses going wrong. Horses get badly beaten every day and come out of it just fine.

the 3 year old champ last year got buried in all 3 triple crown races, appeared to be over his head, amazingly didn't get "ruined" and became and remains among the top 2 or 3 horses in training, If that doesn't prove your point nothing does.

letswastemoney
04-06-2014, 09:18 PM
Having a horse lead or contend for the Kentucky Derby, at least for a short while, is probably one of the more exciting experiences owners can go through. Obviously, I'm not an owner, but it's what I read before on other places.

If Wildcat Red is healthy, no reason not to go.

Stillriledup
04-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Im wondering if you would think this very thing if it was your horse in the derby!!...I dont think so..Catch that derby fever and there is no stopping you ,Doesnt matter what the horse thinks :lol: ...But I do agree...Many horses are ruined by the greed of man!

If he was my horse i would sell him to someone who had derby dreams, i'd take advantage of the 'fever'.

Thebigguy
04-07-2014, 12:51 AM
He's clear thru :48 1/5 at GP and he still couldn't hold off Constitution. Nobody is going to coast along in front thru 48 1/5 in Louisville. I don't think the Derby is the right spot for him. Maybe the Illinois Derby, but not the KY Derby.

You got it. This Derby pace will be insane, I predict 45.1 plus Constitution is not even that good.

CryingForTheHorses
04-07-2014, 10:13 AM
If he was my horse i would sell him to someone who had derby dreams, i'd take advantage of the 'fever'.

LOL..We think alike!!