PDA

View Full Version : Beyer on MD Slots-Move the Preakness?

cj
04-13-2004, 04:15 AM
Daily Racing Form (http://www.drf.com/news/article/54706.html)

or

Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A6627-2004Apr12.html)

I'm from Baltimore, and no fan of Magna, but I actually agree with him. Don't get me wrong, I would hate to see the Preakness leave Baltimore. But, the Dems in Maryland have done everything they can to screw this up, so what choice does Magna have?

justin
04-13-2004, 07:22 AM
The whole deal w/ slots is partisan politics at its worst. Michael Busch seems so hellbent on denying the governor any kind of legislative victory that he's more than willing to drive home the final nail in the coffin of MD racing. I don't think that anyone with any common sense can deny that racing has an important economic impact on MD but this guy just doesn't care. I'm no fan of DeFrancis, Magna, or any of those associated with them but after this whole ordeal, they rank much higher on my list than Michael Busch. I hope Magna does just what Beyer suggests and moves the Preakness. :mad:

-Justin

OTM Al
04-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Historically, though the race did start in Maryland it hasn't always been there. It took a hiatus to New York for a few years between the close of the original track and the opening of Pimlico. I think running it at Santa Anita would be detrimental to the horses given the cross country ship twice in such a short period of time, though as a venue, it would be wonderful. The Texas idea is interesting as it would give real credibility to that track, especially after it has the Breeders Cup this year. As it would stay in the Magna family of tracks, they could also consider a split season at Gulfstream, closing after the Florida Derby, as there really isn't much left of racing quality afterward, and then reopening for a few weeks in May. (would be a nice slot for Hialeah to open during that interval wouldn't it) Then there is the fact that Magna has a large plot of undeveloped land in Florida, which may someday be the home to a new "Gulfstream". Only other two tracks I think that could make good venues for the race are the Meadowlands (or maybe even Monmouth) and Arlington but I can't see Magna giving that race up.

JustRalph
04-13-2004, 01:01 PM
Move it to Beulah......... anywhere but Maryland..........

After the way the Legislators in MD went after the Horse players with tax increases last year, they could move it anywhere and I wouldn't care..........I won't play it in Maryland though.........

BillW
04-13-2004, 01:08 PM
The last thing I'll do is defend Md. politicians (trust me ... I just got done doing my parents Md. state and city taxes :rolleyes: ) but how clear did Magna make it that they were dependent on the legalization of slot machines at their tracks when they bought the places? I do remember grandios promises, but never read much detail.

Bill

Kappa
04-13-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by JustRalph
Move it to Beulah......... anywhere but Maryland..........

After the way the Legislators in MD went after the Horse players with tax increases last year, they could move it anywhere and I wouldn't care..........I won't play it in Maryland though.........
Glad to see that the legislature passed the tax increases on horse players without the Governor's approval. :D

takeout
04-13-2004, 08:26 PM
Move it far, far away and take DeFrancis with it.