PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Fast Horses for Saturday, 4/5

MeSlew
04-04-2014, 11:34 PM
Hello All! For Saturday, April 5 2014 the following tracks and races are on the silicon mind of Slew:

Aqueduct - 1,3,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
Gulfstream - 1,2,5,7,8,10
SantaAnita - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11
Tampa - 3,4,7,9,10,12
Keeneland - 3,5,6,7,9,10
Pimlico - 7,9
Calder - 2,6,7
Parx - 4,7,8
Oaklawn - 1

As you can see, that's a mind-full. Aqueduct has the Bayshore, Gazelle, Wood (sponsored by Twin Spires?) and the always fun Carter.
Santa Anita has the Oaks and the Santa Anita Derby, and Keeneland has the Ashland.

And I have to work. Might make it home in time for the Derby, but still.

Anyway, Slew's listing for Saturday is rather large. Much to digest and choose from. Including a Key Horse:

My Miss Sophia - Aqu ( 9) GP 02/09/14 # 5

Here were my initial observations from her maiden voyage at Gulfstream on February 9th of this year. They were posted on 2/17 in my 'Racing's Cape of Good Hope' blog post:"My Miss Sophia also needs to be watched, as she set an ambitious pace and was beaten by not quite 2 lengths. By Unbridled's Song and running for Todd "32%" Pletcher, we'll see her stretch out before the summer.
Here we have stamina on the top side with the 1996 Sovereign Award (Canada) winning champion sprinter Langfhur on the bottom. I'll be curious to see what she does with Belmont's one turn routes this spring.
She went on to break her maiden by 11 lengths one month later in very impressive fashion after a slow start. The mile went in 1:35.2 with Castellano up...I doubt he will be getting off any time soon. He sticks for the Gazelle, a Gr.II 1 1/8 round trip around the Aqueduct main track. She appears to be begging for this type of distance, and will get what is usually a very unfair test in the jump from maiden winner to Gr.II 9-5 2nd favorite behind the daughter of Street Sense, Sweet Reason who is tabbed as the 8-5 ML fav.

It is all about the company you keep (your mother was right) and Sweet Reason deserves that position by virtue of her experience. However, it must be pointed out that her best race was in the slop up at Saratoga on a sealed track.
After that race, the speed figs are nothing to write home about, and her comeback race on 3/7 was barely a win at the N3L level. Yes, a paid work no doubt, but not entirely impressive.

All this from the perspective of a low priced 8-5 ML favorite in a Gr.II race, with the 2nd favorite a recent maiden winner...ML at 9-5!

Clearly we do not have a clue as to the makeup of our lady My Miss Sophia, but we'll find out more a little after 5:00 PM on Saturday. And if she is put together right, she should take the favorite...if she isn't made that by post time.

I don't know that you play her to win unless you dream about her tonight, not at 9-5. But if she drifts up a little, second thoughts about that wager are in order. I'll look at her with several other Slew horses in a pick 3.

I've not yet decided which ones, but I'll pick at least one sequence and hope for the best.

I'm working tomorrow so I'll miss most of the action, but not you...you lucky dog.

So enjoy the Saturday racing...a big day for sure...good luck and good 'capping!