PDA

View Full Version : Slew's Fast Horses for Friday, 04/04

MeSlew
04-03-2014, 10:05 PM
Hello All! Like the church bells ringing across some long forgotten countryside signaling the arrival of royalty, the opening day at the Keeneland spring meet signals the beginning of the racing that we all wait patiently for.

And signals the only time it is acceptable to end a sentence with a preposition.

Things begin to heat up now, and not just in the battered north country, but anywhere a racing fan lives and breaths. As the late great Jean Shepherd once said to begin one of his most memorable late night stories on the old WOR radio station:

"Hang on...Here we go."

Slew's lineup for Friday April 4th is as follows:

Aqueduct - 2,3,6
Gulfstream - 3,4,9
SantaAnita - 1,2,4,5,6,7,8
Tampa - 1,5,7
Keeneland - 1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
Pimlico - 3,4,5
Calder - 3,6,7
Oaklawn - 7

As you can see, it's beginning to look like Christmas. Riders are migrating northward, as are the best horses. And Keeneland is a busy place.

We also have a Key Horse running at Keeneland on Friday:

Bella Castani - KEE ( 8) GP 02/08/14 # 9

Daughter of Big Brown, trained by Christophe Clement and ridden back by Julien Leparoux, she tries Optional Claiming company once again, this time at keeneland on the fake stuff. Here were my notes from my Key Horse posting of 2/17 from her race on 02/08 at Gulfstream Park:"Bella Castani, daughter of the ill-fated Big Brown followed Kittens Point from the quarter mile marker all the way to the finish line. Finishing 1 1/2 lengths behind the victress, she was waking from a slumber
dating back to August 30, 2013 at the Spa in the Riskaverse Stakes where she earned her rest with an 8th place finish. Christophe Clement guides her career and is looking to get this one her 3rd win,
with her next race being the 8th in her short career. A win in the Diamondrella Stakes at Belmont on 7/7/2013 and her 2nd place finish to Kittens Point here gives her reason to be optimistic about her chances going forward.
She was ridden by the accomplished Jose Lezcano."Well, in her last on 3/1 she finished barely a length behind 16-1 winner Savvy Hester. That one had not run since November of last year, and flew all the way down from Woodbine to ride the rail to a front running victory. Now, I'm not familiar with her trainer Ricky Griffith, but he obviously knew something because he finished in front of the likes of Mott, Clement and Fawkes.

Bella was odds-on that day so there was much groaning in that imaginary Gulfstream Park grandstand. And for Friday's race, she is, once again, the favorite at 9-5. One can only hope for two things:

1. The very same people who tore up tickets in the last one refuse to invest again and

2. She wins at at least 5/2. The problem is a short field so #2 is unlikely.

And check your PP's to see if she is at all familiar with the phoney-baloney carpet fibers she will be running on. On the plus side, she is Slew's top horse in that race AND a double entry to boot.
If I play her, I'll use her with the other Slew horse, Elusive Fate who will be a bit of a price. Slew also has a long shot single in race 7 in Zero Game, so a small double won't be out of the question.

No mortal lock here, especially at those odds. But certainly worth inclusion on any multi race tickets.

Enjoy the Friday racing, good luck and good 'capping!