PDA

View Full Version : Invitational

Valuist
04-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Simple solution to the points system nonsense. Churchill should just make the race an invitational. Get a panel of professional handicappers and extend 15 invitations. Isn't the Haskell an invitational?

BIG49010
04-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Great idea, give Churchill even more control over the race.

Do it like American Idol, let the fans vote!

1st time lasix
04-03-2014, 12:58 PM
Nothing wrong with the way they do it....the various preps are far more meaningful and the more powerful barns can't "lobby" their way in to the gate. A subjective "invite" is really a terrible idea. Now they earn their spot. I can understand if one wants to "tweak" the point allocations for a particular race or for a track based on sound reasoning....but a popularity contest is really not the solution to any objection in my opinion.

letswastemoney
04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
That's a bad idea. Unknowns like Mine That Bird deserve a shot and a panel of handicappers is just going to pick the most well known horses.

bgbootha
04-03-2014, 01:34 PM
I don't see the problem with the points setup. I think it does wonders for the sport, it makes the sport more engaging for everyday fans. It provides a system and a structure to it all instead of some arbitrary panel.

Why all the hate on the points system?

burnsy
04-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't see the problem with the points setup. I think it does wonders for the sport, it makes the sport more engaging for everyday fans. It provides a system and a structure to it all instead of some arbitrary panel.

Could not agree more.... just like others said, it ain't no popularity contest. Half these people can't face reality when a horse is not keeping up. I love the point system because its based on stakes race results and nothing else.....you can't perform, you can't play....no ticky......no laundry.......When will people realize that you have to be running well just BEFORE the derby? Just throwing "name" horses in there is fodder for bad competition and disaster for the horse. Its one of the best moves racing has made. Some of these jackasses would run once as a 3 yo and expect to get in off their 2 yo record...which at this point everyone knows is a total farce.

tanner12oz
04-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Simple solution to the points system nonsense. Churchill should just make the race an invitational. Get a panel of professional handicappers and extend 15 invitations. Isn't the Haskell an invitational?

make it like march madness have automatics with the major preps and then the rest wildcards....love the idea

Stillriledup
04-03-2014, 06:50 PM

Illinois Derby Snub?

Stillriledup
04-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Great idea, give Churchill even more control over the race.

Do it like American Idol, let the fans vote!

Its their race, why shouldnt they have total control over it?

bgbootha
04-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Illinois Derby Snub?

Point, but every big race can't have points. I would love to see some of the races move around a bit and let some of the other tracks aroudn the country host some of these shipper specials.

Thebigguy
04-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Mine that Bird did not deserve anything. The best horses should run in the Derby, period. Its pretty simple actually.

FlyinLate
04-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Point, but every big race can't have points. I would love to see some of the races move around a bit and let some of the other tracks aroudn the country host some of these shipper specials.

Races as 2 year olds and on poly track get but points but a half million dollar race at a competitive distance on dirt gets zero? This isn't a "we cant give points to all races", it was a targeted snub.

Tom
04-03-2014, 10:03 PM
A race in Dubai that has never produced a Derby winner has 100 point, but races here that have produced several get 0.

It is not about getting the best horses, that is obvious.

MutuelClerk
04-03-2014, 10:11 PM
It's kind of like the replay in the MLB right now. A work in progress. I love the theory and the point system. The Illinois Derby is a snub that for me sums up the problem with the sport. Just follow the money.....

olddaddy
04-03-2014, 10:20 PM
The poly issue will be solved probably next year with keenland going to dirt and so may dubai. If dubai doesnt I understand, its the only way to give the derby an international flavor. The point system as is fine except for the illinois derby snub.

BIG49010
04-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Its their race, why shouldnt they have total control over it?

Knowing the way CD is going, they will make a race at Calder worth 100 points, and the Florida Derby worth 10, similar to the move they made against the Illinois Derby when Hawthorne didn't do what Dicky D wanted. Perhaps they could sell the rights to have a prep. The Derby used to be an American Classic, and when CD Inc can't squeeze any more profit out of it, it will begin it's decline like Calder, Fairgrounds, Housier Park and Hollywood Park.