PDA

View Full Version : Supreme Court rules for free speech

Clocker
04-02-2014, 10:53 PM
The Supreme Court (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/2/supreme-court-strikes-down-limit-campaign-giving/) ruled today that many existing restrictions on campaign contributions are unconstitutional.

Current laws limit the amount any one person can contribute to an individual candidate as well as the total amount a person can contribute to all candidates in a year.

The court kept the restrictions on donations to a single candidate, but ruled that there can be no limited on the aggregate amount a person gives to all candidates.

Under the old limit, a donor couldn’t give more than $123,200 to candidates, parties and political action committees in an election cycle. Of that, just $48,600 could go directly to candidates.

That meant the maximum $5,200 donations to federal candidates could be limited only to nine.Chief Justice Roberts said that made no sense. If it wasn’t corrupting to give one candidate the maximum, he said, it shouldn’t be corrupting to give the same amount to any other candidate.

NJ Stinks
04-02-2014, 11:02 PM
Buy elections. They are for sale in the USA, don't you know? :ThmbDown: :ThmbDown:

Free speech BS.

I can't wait for all stinking commercials.

Clocker
04-02-2014, 11:06 PM
Mission Accomplished.

In record time.;)

Tom
04-02-2014, 11:24 PM
No surprise, the court got it dead wrong.
They just put running for office out the reach of average people.

Agree with Stinky - Free Speech - BS.
No doubt there were some "bonuses" for the justices on this one.
anyone believe they are not bought and piad for just like the rest of the government?

Sad that the FF got is so wrong with this branch of govt.
9 unaccountable people get lifetime appointments that allow them to decide far too much for for too long, no matter what their mental facilities are.

The Supreme Court is a disgrace and has no place in a responsible government.

Now we are ruled by nine mentally challenged geezers and whoever has the most cash.

Clocker
04-03-2014, 12:04 AM

Running for office has been out of the reach of average people since the two-party system locked up the political power in this country many, many years ago. Nobody goes anywhere in politics in this country above the local level without the initial support of the state GOP or Dem party, and then the national party.

It's all about money. What difference does it make if the money comes from the DNC or the Koch brothers? It's all about money. Period. I'd put the ceiling on elected office without big bucks at the level of the lower house of a state legislature, running from a rural district.

TJDave
04-03-2014, 02:39 AM

Nothing has changed. Anyone who can raise the filing fee and/or signature requirements can run for office.

It is not the responsibility of the government to protect voters from being gullible.

Robert Goren
04-03-2014, 02:57 AM
Nothing has changed. Anyone who can raise the filing fee and/or signature requirements can run for office.

It is not the responsibility of the government to protect voters from being gullible.How about protecting us from wall to wall campaign ads. I don't care what party you support, tell me that it doesn't take all the self control you muster to keep from throwing stuff at the TV right before an election. I don't think you can.

Tom
04-03-2014, 07:49 AM
It is their job to protect the system.
9 geezers with possible mental problems just attacked it.