PDA

View Full Version : How much $$ needs to be in the WPS pool to change the morning line?

Longshot6977
04-01-2014, 08:39 PM
Quick question guys.
Does anybody know how much money needs to be in the WPS pools to change the morning line odds? I always thought it was $600. I was watching a harness race the other nite (forgot which track) and at 1 MTP, the current odds were still the same as the ML odds. One flash later, they finally changed as they were approaching the gate. There was a bit over $600 in the WPS pools. Just wondering if anyone knows. Thanks.

davew
04-01-2014, 08:59 PM
$2 in win pool, the Place and Show are not used

whatever you were watching was still stuck on ML

Longshot6977
04-01-2014, 09:32 PM
$2 in win pool, the Place and Show are not used

Sorry, that can't be correct. I knew many years back it was a requirement to have at least $600 in the pool until the monitors displayed the current odds. The odds won't change on the monitor if just $2 is in the win pool. I realize the odds DO mathematically change even with $2 or $100, but what I mean is the monitors will not display the correct odds until at least ($600?) is in the pool. Does anyone know if that is still true. It happens a lot at small harness tracks.

therussmeister
04-01-2014, 09:43 PM
I'm guessing it's up to each individual track, although most probably use the same standard. Now I'm going to waste time tomorrow watching the tote board trying to figure it out. :mad:

TravisVOX
04-01-2014, 09:49 PM
Depends on the track. You can set the minimum to whatever you want.

davew
04-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Sorry, that can't be correct. I knew many years back it was a requirement to have at least $600 in the pool until the monitors displayed the current odds. The odds won't change on the monitor if just $2 is in the win pool. I realize the odds DO mathematically change even with $2 or $100, but what I mean is the monitors will not display the correct odds until at least ($600?) is in the pool. Does anyone know if that is still true. It happens a lot at small harness tracks.

Has to be track dependant, possibly state racing commission rule - what track are you asking about?

The Hawk
04-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Generally it's $1,000.

Longshot6977
04-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Now I'm going to waste time tomorrow watching the tote board trying to figure it out. :mad:

Did you come to any conclusions or observations yet?

sammy the sage
04-03-2014, 09:11 PM
this WHOLE topic is akin to....how much does my dog eat.. :faint: :rolleyes: :lol: :D

Well do you have a WEINER dog...or...a GREAT Dane.....seriously...

Gotta REPHRASE the question SIR....as to WHICH track before a LEGIT QUESS could be given.... :faint:

therussmeister
04-03-2014, 09:40 PM
Mostly I forgot about it. Whenever I looked early on the odds had already moved.

davew
04-03-2014, 10:31 PM

Just you can't even remember what track. I have bet at dogtracks where the closing win pool is under $200 (and they have no trouble changing the odds).

Longshot6977
04-04-2014, 08:02 AM
Just you can't even remember what track. I have bet at dogtracks where the closing win pool is under $200 (and they have no trouble changing the odds).

I usually notice it at small pool harness tracks like Balmoral, Pocono, Fraser etc. It didn't matter exactly what track, my question was a general one, and not about dog tracks. Someone mentioned $1000 and that could be correct for the track they use. I guess the amount depends on the specific track like someone else mentioned. The next time I see 1 or 2 MTP and the odds shown are still the ML odds, I'll post the info. I do remember many years ago Yonkers wouldn't post the actual odds until $600 was in the WPS pools. A mutuel clerk told me. Thanks.

HuggingTheRail
04-04-2014, 08:58 AM
I usually notice it at small pool harness tracks like Balmoral, Pocono, Fraser etc. It didn't matter exactly what track, my question was a general one, and not about dog tracks. Someone mentioned $1000 and that could be correct for the track they use. I guess the amount depends on the specific track like someone else mentioned. The next time I see 1 or 2 MTP and the odds shown are still the ML odds, I'll post the info. I do remember many years ago Yonkers wouldn't post the actual odds until $600 was in the WPS pools. A mutuel clerk told me. Thanks.

For a while, Fraser was $200 in the win pool, but that some time ago....haven't really paid attention recently.

clocker7
04-04-2014, 09:37 AM
For the longest time, most US racetracks used equipment and operators from Amtote on a lease basis, paying a percentage of the gross to do so (NY had their own systems after awhile). I presume that Amtote set the parameters for their computational processes, but that's just a guess. What goes on now might be similar, but I doubt that there is any great plot involved to mislead anyone.

Valuist
04-04-2014, 10:27 AM
I always thought it changed over the instant after the previous race was declared official.

ThinkingAlways
04-04-2014, 11:24 AM
If the money went in the win pool at the same rate as specified in the ML, the odds would never change from the ML.

What is it you are driving at?

Longshot6977
04-04-2014, 05:31 PM
If the money went in the win pool at the same rate as specified in the ML, the odds would never change from the ML.

What is it you are driving at?

I'm not driving at anything. You guys shouldn't read too deep into the question. Thanks to those who replied. But as an FYI, look at a small track's WPS pool and see if it changes the instant money goes in the pool.

I brought this up because the other nite I was watching (I think Pocono Downs) and it was 1 MTP and the #1 had most of the money on it. I noticed it was still displaying the ML odds as all the others. I quickly tried to figure out the current odds, but the next flash was a few seconds later (0 MTP) and the current odds were finally displayed. There was a little over $600 in the pool so I asked if anyone might know the amount required. I guess it depends on the track.