PDA

View Full Version : Last One Standing

Big Russ
03-29-2014, 07:09 AM
Surprisingly, I'm the last one still alive in the "Live it up Challenge 2014" sponsored by Tampa Bay Downs and the DRF. It's a survivor type contest. I still have 5 racing days to get through, and there are many ways to lose in racing, but it's been fun so far. Today's two contest races are the 7th and 8th. I need to pick one horse from either race and it needs to run 1,2 or 3. I'm up early and studying the PP's.

098poi
03-29-2014, 08:33 AM
Good luck.

JolyB
03-29-2014, 08:50 AM
Congrats Russ. That was a very tough contest, as they often chose the two most challenging races as the choices for the day. I think that my score was in negative numbers the entire time I was playing.

A question, though. It sounds as if you have already won as the final player standing. Do you still need to keep competing, or is it just for the satisfaction of making it to the end?

Big Russ
03-29-2014, 09:00 AM
Congrats Russ. That was a very tough contest, as they often chose the two most challenging races as the choices for the day. I think that my score was in negative numbers the entire time I was playing.

A question, though. It sounds as if you have already won as the final player standing. Do you still need to keep competing, or is it just for the satisfaction of making it to the end?

Thanks. The bonus prize for most "winners" is wrapped up for me. However, to win the grand prize I must have at least one "lifeline" at the conclusion of the contest. The last contest day is Saturday, April 5th. I currently have 3 lifelines remaining.

Bennie
03-29-2014, 10:08 AM
Off turf today, play accordingly and good luck:ThmbUp:

Big Russ
04-02-2014, 09:27 PM
I managed to clinch the top prize today.

JustRalph
04-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Congrats! :ThmbUp:

NJ Stinks
04-02-2014, 11:29 PM
Thanks. The bonus prize for most "winners" is wrapped up for me. However, to win the grand prize I must have at least one "lifeline" at the conclusion of the contest. The last contest day is Saturday, April 5th. I currently have 3 lifelines remaining.

3 lifelines remaining is incredible! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

raybo
04-03-2014, 02:08 AM
Congratulations!! Well done! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

TBD
04-03-2014, 02:52 AM
Great job. It was a long tough contest. There were a couple of upsets a few longshots pulled off wins. The best I could do was 26th. Kudos to your handicapping, enjoy your victory:ThmbUp:. It was nice to see track management give some back to the patrons. Hopefully they will bring it back next year.

PaceAdvantage
04-03-2014, 09:22 AM
I managed to clinch the top prize today.WAY TO GO!!!! Much congrats!!! :ThmbUp:

thaskalos
04-03-2014, 09:24 AM
Congratulations! What was the payoff?

Exotic1
04-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Congratulations!! Always nice to hear of success.

rubicon55
04-03-2014, 12:20 PM
Congratulations! What was the payoff?

Gus, this is what I saw in their website:

PRIZES:

Highest total bankroll based on pari-mutuel payouts from a $2 across-the-board wager ($2 win, place & show) on player’s selections.

GRAND PRIZE: A seat in the 2015 DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championship and $1,000 Cash.
SECOND PLACE: $1,000 Cash.
THIRD PLACE: $500 Cash.
MOST WINNERS BONUS PRIZE: $500 Cash.
Prize winners determined ineligible to participate in the “LIVE IT UP CHALLENGE” will be disqualified from that position and the player with the next highest category total will be accordingly awarded.

By the way congrats Big Russ!

TBred17Roan
04-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Congrats Russ. Always nice to see a member here get the top prize. A fellow capper of mine, RYonker was with you in the final four until near the end so I was following along despite being knocked out early. Once again, nicely played.

Big Russ
04-03-2014, 05:14 PM
Congrats Russ. Always nice to see a member here get the top prize. A fellow capper of mine, RYonker was with you in the final four until near the end so I was following along despite being knocked out early. Once again, nicely played.

Thanks. It did get exciting once it was down to 4 remaining alive. RYonker played very well!

Big Russ
04-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Thanks everyone for the congrats. I had a lot of fun and learned a few things.

1. After the first couple of weeks, I played on Tampa Bay instead of my usual 4 or 5 tracks at a time. It was nice to be able to do and helped with recognizing trainer patterns in more detail.

2. I used both BRIS PP's and DRF. Beyer numbers seemed a bit better than BRIS on dirt, while I found the opposite on Turf. In neither case were speed figures my biggest asset.

3. By being able to concentrate on 1 track, I found that my decades of handicapping experience was more helpful than I thought it would be. From reading many books, and the countless hours looking at PP's, I somehow manage to use all of that knowledge to form a decent opinion every now and then.

4. I would find it almost impossible to explain to a newbie how to go about becoming a decent handicapper without frightening them.

Anyway, thanks again for the kind words. That's enough horn blowing for me.