PDA

View Full Version : Ray Rice Indicted

cj's dad
03-28-2014, 11:18 PM
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/27/ray-rice-indicted-assault-charges/

Could face jail time; the Ravens should cut him. The Bengals will probably pick him up; they are used to having criminals on their team,

Rice had a horrible year last year, his worst ever. The team has Bernard Pierce in the wings; bigger and faster !

JustRalph
03-28-2014, 11:55 PM
A felony

I hope he saved some money

Robert Fischer
03-29-2014, 12:25 AM
http://nfl.si.com/2014/03/27/ray-rice-indicted-assault-charges/

Could face jail time; the Ravens should cut him. The Bengals will probably pick him up; they are used to having criminals on their team,

Rice had a horrible year last year, his worst ever. The team has Bernard Pierce in the wings; bigger and faster !

He gives you everything you could ask as a football player.

But this is a bad public relations incident, and running backs are the most easily replaceable position.

There's a million guys that are strong and fast. You could get guys off the street or out of prison who could run for 3+ yards/carry in the NFL.

A little scouting and planning (Bernard Pierce), and it isn't a position that you should ever sink big money or public relations into unless you've got Adrian Peterson or Barry Sanders.

proximity
03-29-2014, 12:41 AM
There's a million guys that are strong and fast. You could get guys off the street or out of prison who could run for 3+ yards/carry in the NFL.

just don't trade draft picks to Cleveland for them!!:faint:

cj's dad
05-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Today at 3 PM

Pitiful ! The club asked ray to postpone until Tuesday when Harbaugh and Ozzie could attend. Obviously he did not.

Read a disjointed statement and allowed his now wife to speak- she said basically nothing. Of course there were the obligatory flowing of tears. Nothing at all was said about what happened in the elevator and the cause for such actions. He asked everyone including stadium vendors to forgive him but not a word to his teammates.

They took no questions. When a reporter tried to ask a question, the mouthpiece shut it down

There are many Raven players living in the Baltimore area, one player showed up to offer support-Torrey Smith.

Rays got to go. No way he will be supported by the fans in general IMO.

And of course NFL Commissioner (I think it;s mandatory to preface his name with that title) Roger Goodell will suspend him -guessing 4 games.

ronsmac
05-23-2014, 04:51 PM
If he has a great year,most of the fans will forgive him. I really have to hand it to Torrey. He's always a supportive and positive guy. He stays out and about in the community also.

Stillriledup
05-23-2014, 07:50 PM
Its over for Ray in Balto for sure, his career might be over too, is anyone really going to want to take this guy on? You can't hit women period and if you're a very strong athlete, its even worse, this guy isnt a 98 lb weakling, what a coward.

cj's dad
05-24-2014, 01:34 AM
At this point in Ray's career he is just another running back- Pierce has surpassed him in ability What a shame/ Bye-Bye

Valuist
05-24-2014, 11:54 AM
At this point in Ray's career he is just another running back- Pierce has surpassed him in ability What a shame/ Bye-Bye

I heard he packed on a few unnecessary lbs a year ago. Maybe if he can get into good shape he could return to his form from 2012.

magwell
07-25-2014, 07:30 PM
He got a 2 game suspension for knocking her out and dragging out of the place by her hair, but if he smoked a joint he probably gets twice that, something just doesn't seem right about that.........:rolleyes:

PhantomOnTour
07-25-2014, 07:35 PM
He got a 2 game suspension for knocking her out and dragging out of the place by her hair, but if he smoked a joint he probably gets twice that, something just doesn't seem right about that.........:rolleyes:
If he had called her a racial slur he would have gotten more than two games also.

Marshall Bennett
07-25-2014, 07:42 PM
If he had called her a racial slur he would have gotten more than two games also.
And if he'd been white he'd be finished. :cool:

ronsmac
07-25-2014, 08:14 PM
And if he'd been white he'd be finished. :cool:That's true. Riley Cooper is finished. NOT!!!

jballscalls
07-25-2014, 08:30 PM
That's true. Riley Cooper is finished. NOT!!!

I was gonna reply the same thing. Cooper is a white guy who got caught using a racial slur and got some sensitivity training and was back to work.

Robert Fischer
07-25-2014, 08:50 PM
The NFL isn't one of those things that looks pretty under closer inspection.

It's a fairly big media business.

Maximillion
07-25-2014, 08:58 PM
Harbaugh's press conference addressing the matter was probably not his finest hour.

magwell
07-25-2014, 09:34 PM
I was gonna reply the same thing. Cooper is a white guy who got caught using a racial slur and got some sensitivity training and was back to work.Yes but this guy got caught knocking the girl unconscious and dragging out of the door, way big difference than a racial slur.....

jballscalls
07-26-2014, 10:54 AM
Yes but this guy got caught knocking the girl unconscious and dragging out of the door, way big difference than a racial slur.....

exactly! I think you missed the context of our replies, which was to the previous posters indicating that if someone were white and said a racial slur they'd get a bigger suspension than what Mr. Rice got.

Marshall Bennett
07-26-2014, 12:08 PM
exactly! I think you missed the context of our replies, which was to the previous posters indicating that if someone were white and said a racial slur they'd get a bigger suspension than what Mr. Rice got.
I still say in 9 out of 10 instances they would. It's easy to pull one example out of the haystack and use it.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 12:13 PM
Smart move to quickly marry her.

TJDave
07-26-2014, 01:46 PM
Smart move to quickly marry her.

What?

That's f***ed up.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 02:08 PM
What?

That's f***ed up.

Yup. They got married the day after he was indicted. :rolleyes:

magwell
07-26-2014, 02:21 PM
Yup. They got married the day after he was indicted. :rolleyes:After you see what he did to her ......makes me think how disappointed I would be if she was my daughter.

TJDave
07-26-2014, 02:24 PM
Yup. They got married the day after he was indicted. :rolleyes:

Then she ENJOYS getting beaten. In which case, Rice should be given a humanitarian award.

TJDave
07-26-2014, 02:27 PM
After you see what he did to her ......makes me think how disappointed I would be if she was my daughter.

If she were my daughter there wouldn't be anything left for her to marry.

magwell
07-26-2014, 02:34 PM
If she were my daughter there wouldn't be anything left for her to marry.That was my attempt of being PC... truth be told I'd be in a very " ugly place"

TJDave
07-26-2014, 02:37 PM
That was my attempt of being PC... truth be told I'd be in a very " ugly place"

Which leads to this conclusion:

The girl and her family are interested in one thing...

Money.

magwell
07-26-2014, 02:48 PM
Which leads to this conclusion:

The girl and her family are interested in one thing...

Money.Yep, could only be she's mentally unstable or shes afraid or as you say its all about the money.......what else could it be ?

Marshall Bennett
07-26-2014, 03:17 PM
Then she ENJOYS getting beaten. In which case, Rice should be given a humanitarian award.
They deserve each other. Maybe next time he kicks her ass he'll be smart enough to check for cameras, or do it behind closed doors.

jballscalls
07-26-2014, 03:33 PM
I still say in 9 out of 10 instances they would. It's easy to pull one example out of the haystack and use it.

Well it's the most glaring example and kind of disproves your point. Your claim is what you think they would do....my example is what they DID do.

I know what you're getting at, that if you're a white guy and you say something racist it's 100 times worse, which is often true....but the facts don't support the claims made earlier. At least not yet.

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 04:41 PM
This thread is an example of the mis-understanding of black culture

jballscalls
07-26-2014, 05:27 PM
This thread is an example of the mis-understanding of black culture

How so?

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 05:35 PM
How so?

This is accepted conduct in the black community. Doesn't even register.

Marshall Bennett
07-26-2014, 07:24 PM
You're right, and we've been programed to sit back, do nothing, and allow it to spread. The issue must be approached delicately with the up-most care. Any sort of misconstrued motion and we're deemed racist and punished for it.

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 07:35 PM
You're right, and we've been programed to sit back, do nothing, and allow it to spread. The issue must be approached delicately with the up-most care. Any sort of misconstrued motion and we're deemed racist and punished for it.

You don't know how bad it is until you've taken ten thousand or so 911 calls in a city with a large black community.

I'll sit back and wait for those who will surely come after me.........tough shit. I know what's real.......

jballscalls
07-26-2014, 08:41 PM
You don't know how bad it is until you've taken ten thousand or so 911 calls in a city with a large black community.

I'll sit back and wait for those who will surely come after me.........tough shit. I know what's real.......

if they're making calls to 911 wouldn't that mean it isn't accepted? I would think acceptance would be "he hits me but i'm staying here"??

I live in the whitest big city in the country and when I was little and lived in a more diverse area I was too young to notice stuff like that. So I'll have to take your word for it.

Robert Fischer
07-26-2014, 08:57 PM
Right now, the culture that has been appraised, is that of the NFL fan.

It has been estimated that "we" the fan will find a public apology, and a 2-game suspension to be reasonable.

PhantomOnTour
07-26-2014, 09:20 PM
You really think that Ralph, really?

beating your wife or girlfriend is accepted behavior among black folks in America?

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 09:22 PM
if they're making calls to 911 wouldn't that mean it isn't accepted? I would think acceptance would be "he hits me but i'm staying here"??

I live in the whitest big city in the country and when I was little and lived in a more diverse area I was too young to notice stuff like that. So I'll have to take your word for it.

Rarely do they leave or press charges. They call to get their phone back, or their money that was in their purse that he left with.

And that's all I will share. I could tell you some stories that would make you cry.

JustRalph
07-26-2014, 09:23 PM
You really think that Ralph, really?

beating your wife or girlfriend is accepted behavior among black folks in America?

Not the older generation. But absolutely in those under fifty.

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 12:21 AM
Not the older generation. But absolutely in those under fifty.
I disagree wholeheartedly, and then some.
As a former police officer I am sure your encounters with society were not with the most educated and well behaved....any chance that those encounters have influenced your opinions about certain people?

JustRalph
07-27-2014, 12:35 AM
I disagree wholeheartedly, and then some.
As a former police officer I am sure your encounters with society were not with the most educated and well behaved....any chance that those encounters have influenced your opinions about certain people?

I worked for five different police Depts in 3 different States. SoCal-Ohio-NC. I was also a military police officer in 3 different States. Believe it or not There's a pretty wide swath of different people in the US Military. I've handled hundreds of Domestic Violence cases in person, and in many different environments.

I took over 12 thousand 911 calls in Charlotte. I was also privy to the stats on such matters via our call center in Charlotte. I draw my conclusions from a very well rounded body of experience.

If you do a google search you will find black women are domestic violence victims at much higher rates and when it comes to being murdered, or seriously injured, the rates are also higher.

Facts are facts. Btw, I've seen wholesale criminal doctoring of numbers to hide these facts on two of the Police Departments I worked for. Just because nobody wants to talk about it, doesn't make it untrue.

PhantomOnTour
07-27-2014, 12:50 AM
And what about the massive majority of the black population who you didn't get 911 calls from?
How would you know their views on domestic violence?

I am not doubting that some abused women will not leave their abuser, but you've only interacted with the abused, right?

Serial murderers are mostly white (facts are facts) - but have we come to accept that among white folks as a characteristic?
No.

JustRalph
07-27-2014, 01:24 AM
And what about the massive majority of the black population who you didn't get 911 calls from?
How would you know their views on domestic violence?

I am not doubting that some abused women will not leave their abuser, but you've only interacted with the abused, right?

Serial murderers are mostly white (facts are facts) - but have we come to accept that among white folks as a characteristic?
No.

The proof is in the pudding. When a city like Charlotte that is 30% black, yet 90% of the Domestic violence victims are black females, similar numbers in other cities too, you don't have to know how people feel. It's obvious. Especially after you see it for fifteen years. Oh, btw, there are other cultural differences that skew the numbers but you get trained on these differences as an officer. They have to do mostly with Latin and Asian cultures not reporting. There is a whole science to the numbers. Look some of it up. Lots of info online.

jballscalls
07-27-2014, 10:43 AM
Was reading here that Black women experience DV at a 35% rate higher than white women and 2.5 times women of other races, yet are much less likely to use social services or report.

Asian/Pacific Islander women had the highest rate of reporting DV during their lifetime. Said rates were also higher among recent immigrants.

Wonder what role poverty plays in all of this? (answer libs; huge role......cons; tiny role)

http://www.nhcadsv.org/uploads/WOC_domestic-violence.pdf

TJDave
07-27-2014, 01:15 PM

Is it accepted conduct of the community that owns professional sports franchises or the majority of fans?

If not, why is this man still employed? ;)

JustRalph
07-27-2014, 04:26 PM
Was reading here that Black women experience DV at a 35% rate higher than white women and 2.5 times women of other races, yet are much less likely to use social services or report.

Asian/Pacific Islander women had the highest rate of reporting DV during their lifetime. Said rates were also higher among recent immigrants.

Wonder what role poverty plays in all of this? (answer libs; huge role......cons; tiny role)

http://www.nhcadsv.org/uploads/WOC_domestic-violence.pdf

Poverty is also used as an excuse for armed robbery. It's bullshit. Crime rates for neighborhoods right next to each other have been studied. In one example I remember was somewhere near Boston. A large black area next to a large Irish Catholic neighborhood. Both with the same income. I don't have to tell you the rest.

Cultural differences mean everything. If you live in a culture that excuses criminal activity, for whatever reason, you have no reason to fear doing anything you want. Likewise if you live in a culture where you will be ostracized and considered a criminal for acting outside the law, and maybe even thrown out of your church, you draw a line when it comes to criminal activity. There are other cultures who provide the same type of oversight. Consider Asian cultures where honor among families means everything. From childhood through adulthood, honesty and exceptionalism are considered mandatory. Criminal activity is to dishonor your family.

In the American black community, being convicted of a crime is not considered dishonorable nor is it treated as a reason to be looked down upon within the community. There is always an excuse. Blackness and the constant uttering of racism is the ultimate fallback. This country has created a permanent underclass.

tucker6
07-27-2014, 05:10 PM
In the American black community, being convicted of a crime is not considered dishonorable nor is it treated as a reason to be looked down upon within the community. There is always an excuse. Blackness and the constant uttering of racism is the ultimate fallback. This country has created a permanent underclass.
In fact, your street cred goes up if you've been incarcerated and have a prison tat.

JustRalph
07-29-2014, 01:50 AM
Just heard on Sportscenter that Baltimore fans gave Ray Rice a standing ovation at practice yesterday? WTF?

magwell
07-29-2014, 02:08 AM
Just heard on Sportscenter that Baltimore fans gave Ray Rice a standing ovation at practice yesterday? WTF?Yep, a hero's welcome by 25k on hand, hard to believe..........

Stillriledup
07-29-2014, 03:42 AM
Just heard on Sportscenter that Baltimore fans gave Ray Rice a standing ovation at practice yesterday? WTF?

That's amazing. I know people want to win games at all costs, but how can a self respecting person clap for that guy. Years (or sooner) when this guy is gone from the team and out of the league, those people will have to look in the mirror knowing they clapped for him.

tucker6
07-29-2014, 05:59 AM
Principled people are becoming harder and harder to find...

Stillriledup
07-29-2014, 05:51 PM
Principled people are becoming harder and harder to find...

This....is a great point.

I don't know what kind of people existed a few decades ago, but it seems harder and harder to find people with morals. Maybe our politicians lie, cheat and steal so much that people figure its the way you do things?

Marshall Bennett
07-29-2014, 07:48 PM
The country has never been so liberal. Moral decay naturally follows. It's a fact of life hard to argue because it's so evident.
If we don't first get nuked by some Muslim nation or organization, expect the home-grown moral decline to eventually lead to civil unrest and disaster in some form or another.

Robert Fischer
07-31-2014, 01:12 PM
Is it accepted conduct of the community that owns professional sports franchises or the majority of fans?

If not, why is this man still employed? ;)

That is the part that no one wants to sink their teeth in.
Forget all the tangents into "the black community etc..." for a moment.

The NFL has very smart people managing it's media image, and consulting on these types of situations.

They determined that this was a "2 gamer".
Maybe if they hadn't rushed into the 'sanctity of marriage', it would have been a "4 gamer"? Maybe it would have been a situation where the league put pressure on the Ravens to release him and relegate him to a different small-market team after undergoing "counseling"?
Who knows...

The fact of the matter is that the league studied us, the customer, and determined that the current situation is a "2 gamer".

JustRalph
07-31-2014, 01:18 PM
And the guy in Mn who told a gay joke got 3 games

He also has to take a class?

I guess if he would have just punched out the gay punter he would be better off

Robert Fischer
07-31-2014, 01:36 PM
And the guy in Mn who told a gay joke got 3 games

He also has to take a class?

I guess if he would have just punched out the gay punter he would be better off
yup...

We aren't doing much thinking, that's for sure.

ronsmac
07-31-2014, 03:00 PM

The NFL has very smart people managing it's media image, and consulting on these types of situations.

Maybe if they hadn't rushed into the 'sanctity of marriage', it would have been a "4 gamer"? Maybe it would have been a situation where the league put pressure on the Ravens to release him and relegate him to a different small-market team after undergoing "counseling"?
Who knows...

The fact of the matter is that the league studied us, the customer, and determined that the current situation is a "2 gamer".I wonder if the tape will ever be released of what actually happened in the elevator? 2 games seems really light.

TJDave
07-31-2014, 04:09 PM

Who knows...

The fact of the matter is that the league studied us, the customer, and determined that the current situation is a "2 gamer".

Any other profession this guy gets fired.

Why is he still employed?

Stillriledup
08-28-2014, 05:04 AM
Rice 2 games
Gordon 16 games.

Seems about right. :bang:

tucker6
08-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Rice 2 games
Gordon 16 games.

Seems about right. :bang:
one is a judgement suspension by the league under the bad conduct policy.

The other is a specified suspension collectively bargained by the players.

You figure out if you're comparing apples and tangerines.

I think you'll see the league codify a bigger suspension for domestic violence and I hope they do, but it'll never be the same length as Gordon's suspension on the first abuse allegation because this was Gordon's fourth abuse of the drug policy.

Other than all that, you have a point ... :rolleyes:

Tom
08-28-2014, 10:31 PM
I saw the story on TV today - I had never heard of it since I have zero interest in any players in any sport. But this piece of trash, in the clip they showed of him trying to apologize, had no concern for the girl at all. He was only upset about the 2 games he would miss.

Why is trash like him not in jail?
The man is worthless.
And any team that would let him play for them is the same trash.

magwell
08-29-2014, 12:23 PM
Gooddell says he messed up on the Rice decision and unveils a new policy, all he has to say to save face is "after further review" Rice must sit 6 games and if it happens again he gets life and a day.........;)

Stillriledup
08-29-2014, 01:14 PM
Gooddell says he messed up on the Rice decision and unveils a new policy, all he has to say to save face is "after further review" Rice must sit 6 games and if it happens again he gets life and a day.........;)

So what they're saying is that its ok to beat your spouse as long as its only once?

:bang:

magwell
08-29-2014, 01:31 PM
So what they're saying is that its ok to beat your spouse as long as its only once?

:bang: Yup, SRU you got it figured out as always......:ThmbUp:

proximity
08-29-2014, 06:29 PM
once this woman married ray (AFTER THE FACT:faint: ) the suspension should have been reduced to zero games and weird al yankovic should make a rendition of that song "rude" about the situation:

she's gonna marry rice ray
marry rice ray
no matter what you say
marry rice ray
and they'll be a family

jballscalls
08-29-2014, 06:48 PM

I think Rice's suspension was already agreed upon and will stay at 2 games.

magwell
08-29-2014, 06:57 PM
I think Rice's suspension was already agreed upon and will stay at 2 games.Your 100% right, but I said "after further review".........:)

cj's dad
08-29-2014, 11:39 PM
I have previously posted (as a Ravens fan) that I think he should be cut from the team. There is zero room for physical abuse in any walk of life.

I will preface that by saying that RR is abiding by the punishment as handed down by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (it is required to address his excellency in that manner as per ESPN) No one, but no one, other than maybe NFL security, knows what happened in the casino prior to RR and Janet entering the elevator. The ban is in place; he will do his time. For Goodell to now suck up to special interest groups is weak. He apologizes, yet does not name RR, yet anyone with a brain knows that is who he is referring to when he said he (NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell) made a mistake. Has it ever occurred to anyone here that NFL Comm RG saw the original tape from inside the casino and realized that RR's GF (at the time) was out of control?

Something here stinks ! I cannot and will not stand by RR in this case but I think this is a massive case of the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell covering their A$$$$es so as not to impact the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ made by the NFL.

tucker6
08-30-2014, 07:38 AM
I think this is a massive case of the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell covering their A$$$$es so as not to impact the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ made by the NFL.
Well of course it is. In business, new policies are always enacted to either protect the company/league from liability or to shield themselves from a financial impact. This goes without saying.

cj's dad
08-30-2014, 11:45 AM
Well of course it is. In business, new policies are always enacted to either protect the company/league from liability or to shield themselves from a financial impact. This goes without saying.

I do realize this. I should have put a few of these :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at the end of my $$$$ statement

tucker6
08-30-2014, 04:23 PM
I do realize this. I should have put a few of these :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: at the end of my $$$$ statement
No harm. We're all friends here. :ThmbUp:

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 06:53 AM
Released by TMZ sports

Pretty brutal punch.

http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsports

JustRalph
09-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Released by TMZ sports

Pretty brutal punch.

http://www.tmz.com/category/tmzsports

Down goes Frazier! Kind of punch

onefast99
09-08-2014, 01:03 PM
The fact the AC prosecutor looked the other way gave the commish the ability to render a meaningless suspension.

OTM Al
09-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I have previously posted (as a Ravens fan) that I think he should be cut from the team. There is zero room for physical abuse in any walk of life.

I will preface that by saying that RR is abiding by the punishment as handed down by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell (it is required to address his excellency in that manner as per ESPN) No one, but no one, other than maybe NFL security, knows what happened in the casino prior to RR and Janet entering the elevator. The ban is in place; he will do his time. For Goodell to now suck up to special interest groups is weak. He apologizes, yet does not name RR, yet anyone with a brain knows that is who he is referring to when he said he (NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell) made a mistake. Has it ever occurred to anyone here that NFL Comm RG saw the original tape from inside the casino and realized that RR's GF (at the time) was out of control?

Something here stinks ! I cannot and will not stand by RR in this case but I think this is a massive case of the NFL and Commissioner Roger Goodell covering their A$$$$es so as not to impact the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ made by the NFL.

I so love how you recognize the one and only true way to refer to the leader of the NFL. I think this originally came from the time when explayers started populating the booth. Always figured it was an outgrowth of the discipline and hierarchy of football that they speak that way. My second favorite is the tone of voice that is used when there is a rules issue that needs to be referred to the Competition Committee. That name is always spoken in such hushed and reverenced tones. My final favorite is how the word "football" is used way more frequently than needed as if someone was referring to some other sport while a game was on. I tried to count how many times the word was used and wore out after about 15 minutes.

As to the issue at hand, to me it would just be throwing travesty onto travesty if they changed Rice's penalty at this point. The film shows nothing we did not know. He hit her and hit her hard enough to knock her out. Maybe we've seen too many action flicks to think that doesn't take an extremely hard blow. The NFL blew it on this one, but the penalty was already given and agreed on. Case is done and now new regulations are in place. Of course the NFL considers itself an all powerful entity it seems so maybe they will just keep making the rules up as they go. As big of a bad guy as Rice is in this, he still deserves the protection of what has been agreed with his employer as well as from his union. To undermine such opens up the door for the NFL to simply keep punishing people they don't like, guilty or not, to protect their image (and money of course).

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 01:49 PM
I agree Al that the 2 game ban is in place and he will play game 3 in Cleveland.I just wish the Ravens would cut him. Balt. has 3 decent RB's in Pearce, Forsett and Tagliferro.

Now that this video has come out, the Ravens will, I believe, be under a lot of pressure to let him walk.

What he did is indefensible.

JustRalph
09-08-2014, 02:14 PM
People act like they didn't know this had happened?

How did they think he had knocked her out? Chloroform ?

MutuelClerk
09-08-2014, 02:23 PM
Ray Rice released by Ravens..... Good move !!!!!

burnsy
09-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Al, is so right on this. Because the tape is seen....it makes this worse? You get one shot to punish some one. Now its like ESPN has the torches and pitch forks out. This happened months ago. The guy fessed up, took his punishment. Now what?? because of the uproar it gets retried? Because people saw it? Of course they screwed up with a measly two game deal......but that's on the NFL. The guy that got caught for smoking pot got a year. Although, a repeat offender, how many joints equal socking a woman that you are twice as strong as? The country is a mess because our values are shot. He should of been gone a year (at least)....right off the bat....two games....what a freaking joke.

This is the world we live in. All visual, no thought. ESPN is pissing their pants because its on tape. Its not as bad if people can't see it.:confused: But if they can.....Oh, the outrage......the media fans the flames and the "jug head" general public sector has a hemorrhoid. It was a bad thing, day one, a bad act, day one, why does there have to be a "tape" before people take this seriously? He's out, as he should of been from the start. Thanks to the team, not the NFL. Gee, I wonder why terrorist lop heads off on tape? Its to the point where people don't give a crap unless they can see it on TV. Once that happens..........oh, the outrage........ Honky Dory... :(

TheEdge07
09-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Hows he not in jail..assualt,felony..wtf..

Ray Rice is a. Fing coward ...

Robert Fischer
09-08-2014, 02:55 PM
Ray Rice released by Ravens..... Good move !!!!!

:ThmbUp::ThmbUp: GOOD MOVE (finally)

is it too soon to start hoping our team signs Rice?

MutuelClerk
09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
If no one signs him. I'm thinking divorce court. Maybe taking a left to the jaw wasn't worth the money after all. DUH......

Robert Fischer
09-08-2014, 03:03 PM
the Ravens should cut him.

:ThmbUp: Ravens fan called it, 1st post of the thread.

PaceAdvantage
09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
One has to wonder the kind of upbringing that would allow a guy like Rice to have no second thoughts about knocking his then girlfriend/fiance/whatever now wife, completely unconscious, then carrying around her limp body in an attempt to get her out of the elevator and on her feet again...at one point, kicking at her motionless body lying flat out on the floor...at no point does his body language show any remorse for what he just did...nor does he show much compassion for her unconscious body lying there on the floor. For all he knew, he could have killed her...

What can we blame this on? A bad temper? Steroids? Nonexistent anger management skills? Childhood trauma?

Hmmmm...I wonder what it could be...

One also has to wonder at the kind of upbringing his wife had that would allow her to marry this guy after what he did to her in that elevator.

OTM Al
09-08-2014, 03:30 PM
:ThmbUp: Ravens fan called it, 1st post of the thread.

He's right. They should have cut him then. Cutting him now has nothing to do with what he did because it is still the same today as it was yesterday as it was the day he did it. Ridiculous move by an ego driven league. Their day of reckoning will come. They have a license to print money and they are going to blow it.

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 04:03 PM
Breaking News:

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Ray Rice indefinitely. He is acting as if he never saw that video. I'm willing to wager he has.

OTM Al
09-08-2014, 04:08 PM
Breaking News:

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has suspended Ray Rice indefinitely. He is acting as if he never saw that video. I'm willing to wager he has.

Getting dumber and dumber. Now he has been given the second offender punishment for the first offense. If their union had any strength at all (it doesn't) they should bury the NFL on this one.

BTW. What the hell did he base his original punishment on or the rules he set up a couple days ago? What has changed since then? What are the point of these rules if NFLCOMMISSIONERROGERGOODELL can just bypass them?

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 04:37 PM
Semms like double jeopardy to me. New evidence ? emerges so NFLCOMMISSIONERROGERGOODELL decides to change the punishment. I really believe he did this to avoid the embarrassment of another team looking like 2nd class members of the NFL by signing RR.

cj
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Hard to imagine the NFL can win this one if Rice actually fights it.

proximity
09-08-2014, 05:03 PM
One also has to wonder at the kind of upbringing his wife had that would allow her to marry this guy after what he did to her in that elevator.

this x infinity.

she married the guy after the fact and from that point on nfl commissioner roger goodell should keep his nose out of rice family business.

ray punches her in the face and the relationship outlives the casino it happened in. very nice. :rolleyes:

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 05:15 PM
[QUOTE=OTM Al]I so love how you recognize the one and only true way to refer to the leader of the NFL. /QUOTE]

Al, I just watched the local news here and of course it is the lead story. The segment lasted about 7-8 minutes and between the news desk and the ssports guy I counted 17 times that NFL COMMISSIONER ROGERGOODELLwas used. Hysterical.

I agree with you cj that if Rice hires an attorney, actually he has one unless he retains a different one, he will destroy the NFL and particularly NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL in court.

ronsmac
09-08-2014, 05:23 PM
Hard to imagine the NFL can win this one if Rice actually fights it.
He'll be reinstated before the seasons over, but he sucked so bad last year . that he may or may not be picked up by another team.

OTM Al
09-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Semms like double jeopardy to me. New evidence ? emerges so NFLCOMMISSIONERROGERGOODELL decides to change the punishment. I really believe he did this to avoid the embarrassment of another team looking like 2nd class members of the NFL by signing RR.
No double jeopardy here as we aren't talking the US legal system, but since the NFL is the highest power in the land I guess it is ok for them. Rice should sue. This may also be a prime way to break the NFL as this latest action looks like that of a monopoly and the NFL is not exempted from anti-trust laws. Dumb dumb dumb move.

magwell
09-08-2014, 05:45 PM
He'll be reinstated before the seasons over, but he sucked so bad last year . that he may or may not be picked up by another team.He has no shot of another team picking him up if he's reinstated, here is a good example, a girl I know who you couldn't pay her to watch or go to a game, when the video was shown on TV early today, she called me and asked, do the Ravens play the Dolphins here this year? because her and some other girls wanted to go and protest him. I knew he was done at that moment.........

proximity
09-08-2014, 05:47 PM
nfl commissioner roger goodell should be asking himself how denver has the money to make the big signing EVERY year. manning, welker, and then upgrading over 1/4 of their defense in a single off season with pro-bowl/all-pro caliber players like ware, talib, and ward?

can't denver draft any of their own players?

Robert Goren
09-08-2014, 06:17 PM
Hard to imagine the NFL can win this one if Rice actually fights it.Not if Rice lied about what happened when he talked to Godell. The lying is the key. My ABM industries manager's handbook said I could legally fire someone for lying or stealing without having to through the protocol. This apparently is not covered by the collective bargaining agreement. An indefinite suspension could be the first of several legal hoops they have to go through to permanently ban him. That said, I think he gets reinstated next year if there is not another incident.

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 06:31 PM
Either NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL is lying about not seeing the video or he and his staff are incompetent. There is no in between here. As pointed out on ESPN, the NFL has league and team security in place manned by former FBI agents and local law enforcement officers.

TMZ has this film but no one at the NFL saw it. Seriously!!

JustRalph
09-08-2014, 06:33 PM
Now if the Ravens could just release the 25 thousand fans that applauded him when he came back to practice

TJDave
09-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Now if the Ravens could just release the 25 thousand fans that applauded him when he came back to practice

They should publish their names and addresses.

Robert Fischer
09-08-2014, 06:52 PM
what deal did they make with Artest for the Palace Malice incident?

I'm seeing 72 NBA games + playoffs , so essentially 1 season...

So maybe 1/2 to 1 full season? in the NFL?

I'd guess a full year. At least you don't want a contender signing Rice for the playoffs... So if he comes back before a year it has to be with a 2nd-tier franchise.

Rookies
09-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Either NFL COMMISSIONER ROGER GOODELL is lying about not seeing the video or he and his staff are incompetent. There is no in between here. As pointed out on ESPN, the NFL has league and team security in place manned by former FBI agents and local law enforcement officers.

TMZ has this film but no one at the NFL saw it. Seriously!!

Yep. Bang on.

I'd say figurative "baksheesh" went on here. "Don't ask and NOOOOOOOOOBODY will tell anything! "

It was an NFL insider version of the 3 monkeys to gloss over a heinous crime, that would embarrass Rice, the Ravens and the NFL.

Now, that it is in the public eye, they've got that exposure 100 fold! :ThmbDown:

What has started to happen is that all manner of the former Protected Class Suspects ( Athletes, Actors, Bizmen, Pols) are ALL going to go down for crimes that they formerly got a free pass for, because of the $$$$$$$$$$ influence on society!

It's about time and it is ONLY because of the digital world that their fates are being sealed. Tough... very, very tough to splain away the video evidence!

Rise Over Run
09-08-2014, 08:41 PM
My ABM industries manager's handbook said........
Funny stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving me a chuckle. How often do you find yourself referencing that?

horses4courses
09-08-2014, 09:05 PM
Which casino in AC did it happen in?

Surveillance team there kept the lid on this very well,
as they are supposed to do when turning evidence
over to the authorities. :ThmbUp:

proximity
09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
Funny stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving me a chuckle. How often do you find yourself referencing that?

that bad boy's probably about as dog-eared as your copy of slope handicapping! :)

MutuelClerk
09-08-2014, 10:02 PM
If TMZ can prove Goodell saw this tape before today he is through as commissioner.

cj's dad
09-08-2014, 11:49 PM

You have to know Ralph that for the countless thousands of fans that sit in the bars and at home rooting for the Ravens that this is not the norm. I can only speak for myself here but as one who did call for RR to be released immediately, it was an embarrassment for REAL Ravens fans to see that 25k cheered for that POS. Glad he is gone, Hope he never plays another game in the NFL.

One last thing Goodell is a liar- he saw the tape- no way he did not. He needs to resign or be fired.

PhantomOnTour
09-09-2014, 12:26 AM
You have to know Ralph that for the countless thousands of fans that sit in the bars and at home rooting for the Ravens that this is not the norm. I can only speak for myself here but as one who did call for RR to be released immediately, it was an embarrassment for REAL Ravens fans to see that 25k cheered for that POS. Glad he is gone, Hope he never plays another game in the NFL.

One last thing Goodell is a liar- he saw the tape- no way he did not. He needs to resign or be fired.
The more I watch players from my favorite teams commit crimes (mainly LSU and the Steelers) the more I am reminded of what a local radio host said:

Don't pretend to truly care about these guys. Who are we fooling? Most of these players are like robots on the field to us. We just want them to play well, stay out of trouble, and not hurt or bring shame upon the team.
Outside of the superstars (Cal Ripken Jr, Peyton Manning, etc...) most of couldn't care less about the personal lives of these guys, and nor should we.

I have come to feel this way as well...seen too many fantastic players thrill me and then blow it by being a criminal. Cecil Collins immediately comes to mind from LSU.
Outside of my absolute favorite players (see Antonio Brown) I just want the rest of them to behave, off the field at least.

Robert Goren
09-09-2014, 05:50 AM
Funny stuff. Thanks for sharing and giving me a chuckle. How often do you find yourself referencing that? A lot when I was working especially after I had take back an employee that I had fired for leaving her shift early. The court decisions on which the book was based on may not make sense, but they are what you have to live buy if you are in a position to do hirings and\or firings. For the record ABM is a huge corporation that is traded on NYSE. I worked for branch of it, Amaco Parking. Non-management employees often never read their employee handbooks. Managers in large corporations have to if they are expect to be managers very long.

Robert Goren
09-09-2014, 06:01 AM
The more I watch players from my favorite teams commit crimes (mainly LSU and the Steelers) the more I am reminded of what a local radio host said:

Don't pretend to truly care about these guys. Who are we fooling? Most of these players are like robots on the field to us. We just want them to play well, stay out of trouble, and not hurt or bring shame upon the team.
Outside of the superstars (Cal Ripken Jr, Peyton Manning, etc...) most of couldn't care less about the personal lives of these guys, and nor should we.

I have come to feel this way as well...seen too many fantastic players thrill me and then blow it by being a criminal. Cecil Collins immediately comes to mind from LSU.
Outside of my absolute favorite players (see Antonio Brown) I just want the rest of them to behave, off the field at least.I am going raked over the coals for saying this, but I believe it is true
You can take the man out the hood, but you can not always take the hood out of the man. Big time sports prove that on weekly, if not daily basis.

Dark Horse
09-09-2014, 06:57 AM
2/15/2014 - Rice knocks gal unconscious
3/28/2014 - Gal marries Rice.

That's the real issue. Getting KO-ed wasn't a deal breaker for her. The only reason Rice got caught is that it's on camera. The law of averages would suggest that this wasn't the first time.

Ray Rice, in the footsteps of OJ.

cj
09-09-2014, 08:26 AM
I am going raked over the coals for saying this, but I believe it is true
You can take the man out the hood, but you can not always take the hood out of the man. Big time sports prove that on weekly, if not daily basis.

Are you suggesting people from the hood find beating women acceptable?

magwell
09-09-2014, 08:45 AM
Are you suggesting people from the hood find beating women acceptable?It sure looks that way, and he acted in the video like it was business as usual like no problem, just like he has done it before,very callous in my opinion.If it turns out Rodger (good deal) seen this video before he gave him 2 games he also has to go, that's for sure and the NFL has ex FBI people working for them, so its pretty sure if TMZ got it so did they......

cj
09-09-2014, 09:01 AM
It sure looks that way, and he acted in the video like it was business as usual like no problem, just like he has done it before,very callous in my opinion.If it turns out Rodger (good deal) seen this video before he gave him 2 games he also has to go, that's for sure and the NFL has ex FBI people working for them, so its pretty sure if TMZ got it so did they......

You are talking about an individual, I was talking about generalizing a group of people. What exactly is "the hood" anyway?

jballscalls
09-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Here is Ray Rice's wife Janay's statement this morning.

"I woke up this morning feeling like I had a horrible nightmare, feeling like I'm mourning the death of my closest friend. But to have to accept the fact that it's reality is a nightmare in itself. No one knows the pain that the media & unwanted options from the public has caused my family. To make us relive a moment in our lives that we regret every day is a horrible thing. To take something away from the man I love that he has worked his ass of for all his life just to gain ratings is horrific. THIS IS OUR LIFE! What don't you all get. If your intentions were to hurt us, embarrass us, make us feel alone, take all happiness away, you've succeeded on so many levels. Just know we will continue to grow & show the world what real love is! Ravensnation we love you!"

Grits
09-09-2014, 09:25 AM
"What is the hood"? The hood is more about mentality than it is about real estate.

It doesn't matter if, for years, you're bankrolling a dog fighting ring and consequently become a convicted felon--you get to come back to play again. It doesn't matter if you're accused of (though not convicted of rape, in multiple instances. These women are quietly paid off.) You get to come back to play again. It doesn't matter whether you break almost every bone in a woman's face (your girlfriend is Rhianna) you simply get probation and you still appear on stage and get record deals, though you violate your probation, in the news again, just days ago. Fighting on the street.

There's a pattern here. Its known as "entitlement" and its not confined to any one color or neighborhood.

magwell
09-09-2014, 09:48 AM
You are talking about an individual, I was talking about generalizing a group of people. What exactly is "the hood" anyway? I have lived in the "hood" on and off most of my life and from what I can tell you its just a different culture, hard to explain but you know it when you see it and live in it........

cj
09-09-2014, 09:53 AM
I have lived in the "hood" on and off most of my life and from what I can tell you its just a different culture, hard to explain but you know it when you see it and live in it........

I get it...I know all about it. I'm just saying you can't lump people together. There are good and bad in all walks of life.

PhantomOnTour
09-09-2014, 05:08 PM
I am not sure of the number but Mike Vick killed dogs in cold blood, some he electrocuted, and he was allowed back in the NFL.

May get clobbered for this, but which is worse?
Killing a few dogs or punching a woman in the face?

The major point is that we never saw video of Vick killing those dogs.
If that elevator video never surfaces Ray Rice would be playing next week.

TJDave
09-09-2014, 05:24 PM
May get clobbered for this, but which is worse?
Killing a few dogs or punching a woman in the face?

Do you have a daughter?

PhantomOnTour
09-09-2014, 05:28 PM
Do you have a daughter?
No

Charli125
09-09-2014, 05:30 PM
If that elevator video never surfaces Ray Rice would be playing next week.

You're not wrong, but the whole system is wrong because it's true.

TJDave
09-09-2014, 05:30 PM
No

Pretend

PhantomOnTour
09-09-2014, 05:31 PM
Pretend
Well played

JustRalph
09-09-2014, 05:40 PM
I get it...I know all about it. I'm just saying you can't lump people together. There are good and bad in all walks of life.

Exactly right. But there are cultural differences that steer people who never escape "the hood" or similar circumstances. Or those who are indoctrinated or steeped into an ideology and are not allowed to think for themselves. This indoctrination can be crippling.

Peer pressure, parents, teachers and other influential parties in a persons life can influence beyond imagination.

If you don't have multi cultural experiences, you suffer. that is the problem with many in "the hood" growing up in an environment that is an echo chamber can be debilitating.

I know where you come from. Where I grew up wasn't as rough as Baltimore, but my high school was 51% black, 45% white. Still, joining the military was the true multi cultural experience that shaped my outlook. Having friends in the service from several different cultures was a great awakening. Including some close friends from places like the Philippines, France and Canada.

Even many Americans I served with and became friends with were enlightening for me. I was exposed to blacks who were completely different from those I grew up with. Some of the people I met from the deep south were downright puzzling to me. Upon getting to know them, I grew.

I fear those who never leave the hood will never change or change their us versus them outlook on life. I continued to grow working as a police officer in SoCal etc. you and I benefitted from our exposure to others. Many don't.

Grits
09-09-2014, 05:40 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/features/recycled-rage-ray-rice-and-the-nfls-righteous-indignation-20140909

reckless
09-09-2014, 06:02 PM

Curtis, I am asking you this only because you're from Baltimore ....

What is it with Ravens' fans and Ravens management?

One Raven beats a manslaughter rap and another one beats his wife and the people cheer them both?

Ray Lewis gets cheered and cheered and the bum has a bronze statue unveiled at the entrance of the Stadium?

Ray Rice gets cheered and cheered and if the TMZ video doesn't pop up the other day all eventually gets forgotten?

Speculating here and knowing full well the point is now moot, but if the TMZ video doesn't surface, I'll bet that some time in the future, the sports media whores would eventually do features on how Rice learned from his past errors and grew as a person (and husband). :bang:

I still don't get it. Explain it to me, please, Curtis. Thanks.

cj's dad
09-09-2014, 06:33 PM
Curtis, I am asking you this only because you're from Baltimore ....

What is it with Ravens' fans and Ravens management?

One Raven beats a manslaughter rap and another one beats his wife and the people cheer them both?

Ray Lewis gets cheered and cheered and the bum has a bronze statue unveiled at the entrance of the Stadium?

Ray Rice gets cheered and cheered and if the TMZ video doesn't pop up the other day all eventually gets forgotten?

Speculating here and knowing full well the point is now moot, but if the TMZ video doesn't surface, I'll bet that some time in the future, the sports media whores would eventually do features on how Rice learned from his past errors and grew as a person (and husband). :bang:

I still don't get it. Explain it to me, please, Curtis. Thanks.

A couple of points to make before I respond;

I am not a dye my face purple and wear a Ravens jersey person. I had athletes as heroes when I was a kid, not now.

I called for Ray Rice to be cut from the team way back when.

I think it is unfair to label Ray Lewis as an accomplice to murder when I believe he was never charged for that crime. I think he ended up with a misdemeanor. I find it difficult to believe that DA's in Atlanta, Georgia would turn the other cheek in a murder case. On a side note, I hated that pre-game screaming and acting the fool at intro time. He was however, a helluva player.
BTW_ that is the dumbest looking statue I have ever seen.

To your original question, Baltimore is a very different city. I have traveled quite a bit and I feel comfortable saying this. There was a time when this city was said to have an inferiority complex. 200 miles from NYC, 33 miles from DC 110 from Philly. It seemed always that no matter how good our teams were that the city or teams never got the respect they deserved.

Then there was the slap in the face to the Colt faithful when Irsay snuck the Colts out of suburban Baltimore early one morning.

Then Baltimore made a strong bid to get an expansion team and is passed over for Charlotte and (of all places) Jackonsville. How is that working out for the NFL?

So now, in 1996 the Browns are relocated from Cleveland. Most here saw nothing wrong with that. I did. The NFL grew rapidly during the Colts absence. Suddenly we had a team. The folks who were teens and 20 somethings embraced the team without question or reservation. During the 90's and early 2000's the NFL did a great job attracting females to the sport. You go into any bar anywhere around here and the place is packed and I will wager 50% are females. I have heard more women here defend RR than berate his actions. I just shake my head.

To sum up, I have for the last several years been getting turned off by the NFL and the actions of the thug element.

I doubt most cities with NFL teams would have reacted MUCH differently than Baltimore has in the wake of this incident. Just conjecture on my part and no way of verifying.

Yes, I enjoyed the team winning the SB in 2001 and 2012. I am not one of those who lives and dies by the Ravens. Now, the O's, that's another story altogether

GaryG
09-09-2014, 06:37 PM
You never know what women are thinking, at least that is my experience. How in hell can this woman take that kind of abuse, later marry him and now defend him to the media? Maybe she is only in it for the money (oblique nod to Frank Zappa). Grits, can you help?

PhantomOnTour
09-09-2014, 07:12 PM
I think it is unfair to label Ray Lewis as an accomplice to murder when I believe he was never charged for that crime.
Can we stop calling Roethlisberger a rapist now?...because he was never charged with ANY crime

Robert Goren
09-09-2014, 07:18 PM
You never know what women are thinking, at least that is my experience. How in hell can this woman take that kind of abuse, later marry him and now defend him to the media? Maybe she is only in it for the money (oblique nod to Frank Zappa). Grits, can you help?Or is too scared to leave him or she loves him and thinks she change him. I have some this and most of the time the guy had no money.

Greyfox
09-09-2014, 07:33 PM
You never know what women are thinking, at least that is my experience. How in hell can this woman take that kind of abuse, later marry him and now defend him to the media? Maybe she is only in it for the money (oblique nod to Frank Zappa). Grits, can you help?

Every woman is different, but I've listed some of the causes below.
Some women who have known nothing but abuse all of their lives see "normality" in that type of relationship more than we do.
(Psychologically the process is known as repetition-compulsion. Father beat mother. My husband will beat me.)
Some women can be in a room of 100 men, 99 of them who might make reasonable mates.
They will find the one who will abuse them and use them.
Nice guys turn them off. It's as if they've got a radar for searching out rotten apples.
Some women want to be martyrs and feel they can reform the guy.
Look at all of the men who have murdered women on death row who get letters from women wanting to marry them.
Then of course there are many many others who stay in abusive relationships for fear of abandonment, low self esteem, and so on and so on.

MutuelClerk
09-09-2014, 08:04 PM
The NFL is in a no win spot. If they saw the tape and only gave Rice two games they're wrong. IF they didn't see the tape before sentencing and giving Rice a very lenient suspension they're wrong. Especially when TMZ and Ray Rice's attorney had copies. Goodell could lose his job. Harvey Levin of TMZ is one of the more powerful figures in sports these days.

If Ray Lewis's hands were clean he wouldn't have settled out of court.

MutuelClerk
09-09-2014, 08:17 PM
The only good that can come from this powerful video now is actually seeing the abuse and bringing more attention to it. Hopefully in the future in every realm of life judges, juries put the abusers away.

TheEdge07
09-09-2014, 08:34 PM
The Ravens didnt cut Rice because THEY saw the video...

They cut Rice because WE saw the video.

Grits
09-09-2014, 08:56 PM

Gary, I noticed in the video. His girlfriend, now wife, slapped him. To me, personally speaking, that was the first mistake made. The slap drew his fist. No woman should ever hit a man. I've never hit and I've never been hit, in my life. When a woman slaps or hits a man she opens herself up to the situation escalating, knowing full well he is much stronger, and probably much quicker. If provoked by anger, out of meanness or drunkeness, a man hit or beat me? It'd be a one time only deal. No amount of money, no amount of fear, would keep me under the same roof. I'd put mileage between us. Right after filing charges of assault and battery, hiring the best attorney I could find, and divorcing him.

Some food for thought from one who handles these situations daily. The question was asked by a friend of mine today.

"Is it possible to be a good person if you hit your wife once? Quite a few people are coming to the defense of Ray Rice, and it makes me wonder what the consensus is."

Answer: That question isn't relevant here, though to my mind a person never hits their partner only once unless the partner gets out after the first hit. But we aren't talking about a man hitting his wife once, we are talking about him punching her twice in the face, the second time so hard her head cracks against a metal railing and she loses consciousness.

Hitting is one point in a progression of violence that can start much smaller and always gets worse over time. Its a safe bet that he started hitting her long before he graduated to knocking her out.

As far as her response, there are a lot of complex reasons why people stay with abusive partners and they are much more a reflection of the cycle of violence and abuse created and maintained by the abuser than they are a reflection of the woman who stays and even defends. Minimizing and defending an abuser's behavior is extremely common in this cycle, and the responses that we see from abused women in the media mirror the responses of women in abusive relationships that don't receive media attention. It is not the victim who is responsible for holding the abuser accountable for committing a crime, especially considering the complex forces that keep women in abusive relationships.

Also, I think its entirely possible and not uncommon for a person to only abuse their partner and be a "good person" in their interactions with the rest of the world. So as long as you overlook documented and inevitably undocumented beatings, he may indeed be a good person.

Would it be a different answer if we asked can you be a good person if you beat your child unconscious only once?

---A NY attorney, Special Victims Prosecutor. She knows her stuff. :ThmbUp:

magwell
09-09-2014, 10:26 PM
The Ravens didnt cut Rice because THEY saw the video...

They cut Rice because WE saw the video.100 % right and Rodger(good deal) messed up and should step off, he makes million of dollars a year and this smells real bad, he's the male version of Lois Lerner

magwell
09-10-2014, 06:46 PM
100 % right and Rodger(good deal) messed up and should step off, he makes million of dollars a year and this smells real bad, he's the male version of Lois LernerSmells worse today.....

cj's dad
09-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Thousands of Ravens fans lined up today at Ravens stadium(M&T BANK STADIUM) to turn in their Ray Rice jerseys for a different jersey. There is hope for the fans.

Dark Horse
09-21-2014, 08:12 PM
During the coverage of this scandal and the larger one involving more NFL players, the elephant in the room, not once addressed by Goodell (or as far as I've seen, by the media) is.... *drum roll*... : steroids.

How much of this is roid rage?

Stillriledup
09-21-2014, 08:26 PM
During the coverage of this scandal and the larger one involving more NFL players, the elephant in the room, not once addressed by Goodell (or as far as I've seen, by the media) is.... *drum roll*... : steroids.

How much of this is roid rage?

Great call. Rice was an otherwise model citizen, this came out of the blue. Certainly something that needs to be discussed.

Of course, the "Steroid stigma" is more of a baseball thing, so i doub't anything comes of it.

Robert Fischer
09-21-2014, 09:07 PM
I really don't know enough to comment, but it never stopped me or others before - It kind of looked like his girlfriend initially approached him in a dramatic violent manner, before rice responded in kind. Wouldn't surprise me that if they had/have the kind of relationship that feeds off of that type of energy on a regular basis.

, but yea, - these guys take growth hormones and it makes sense that many would have doctors administering and self-testing doses of steroids, given the incentive.

Grits
09-21-2014, 10:14 PM
It kind of looked like his girlfriend initially approached him in a dramatic violent manner, before rice responded in kind. Wouldn't surprise me that if they had/have the kind of relationship that feeds off of that type of energy on a regular basis.

If you go back to the video, you'll see something many haven't...
a) noticed (or)
b) have chosen to ignore

He spit on her, twice. He spit right in her face. Likely causing her mistake, to raise her hand to him. Then, he spit on her a second time. The nastiest, the most vile thing one can do. I cannot imagine such an animal. Much less marrying it. Absolutely beyond my comprehension!

MutuelClerk
09-22-2014, 05:10 PM
If the Ravens owner was telling the truth at the press conference I have a hard time believing him. Those fake white teeth and that fake white tooth smile makes me hold on to my wallet when he speaks. Seems a guy with that much cash could get better teeth, and a better look.

PhantomOnTour
09-22-2014, 05:36 PM
If the Ravens owner was telling the truth at the press conference I have a hard time believing him. Those fake white teeth and that fake white tooth smile makes me hold on to my wallet when he speaks. Seems a guy with that much cash could get better teeth, and a better look.
He looks like a surly gangster, a thug even :D
Full length leather coats, slicked back hair, crater face and Al Davis sunglasses.
Dude has that look down pat.

cj's dad
09-22-2014, 06:26 PM
He looks like a surly gangster, a thug even :D
Full length leather coats, slicked back hair, crater face and Al Davis sunglasses.
Dude has that look down pat.

Well, he is Italian. What did you expect?:rolleyes:

cj's dad
09-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Much is being made about Bisciotti and Ozzie lobbying for a 2 game suspension instead of 4-6 that they expected. What owner and GM wouldn't do the same thing? Name them.

I'm not defending RR here, I am glad he is gone, but his case had already been adjudicated in NJ.

What is the point of the incessant criticism of the Ravens owner? A court of law decided that RR's punishment was sufficient. RG decided 2 games was enough.

I still believe that the reason RG put the indefinite suspension on RR was because he was scared out of wits that another NFL team would sign hi, after the Ravens let him go. Remember that the ind. suspension came after RR was released.

What is the NFL going to do regarding Bisciotti? Nothing but talk a lot.