PDA

View Full Version : Mine That Bird--The Movie

fmhealth
03-28-2014, 09:51 PM
Now this movie (if it makes nat'l distribution) could very well increase the visibility of racing. I wish these folks the best.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303725404579461363847850886?KEYWOR DS=movie&mg=reno64-wsj&url=http%3A%2F%2Fonline.wsj.com%2Farticle%2FSB1000 1424052702303725404579461363847850886.html%3FKEYWO RDS%3Dmovie

Shelby
03-29-2014, 10:14 AM
I keep watching the theater listings to see if it will play around here. No such luck yet.

FantasticDan
03-29-2014, 11:44 AM
Now this movie (if it makes nat'l distribution) could very well increase the visibility of racing. I wish these folks the best.We've had several threads about this movie since it was announced, so folks here are familiar with it. Unfortunately I don't think there's any chance it will reach any sort of wide distribution. You're likely looking at a series of limited engagements over the next few months, then on to to DVD/demand.

mountainman
03-29-2014, 12:04 PM
I heard the part where he savages my arm got left on the editing room floor.
(And also the part where his trainer wanted to scratch instead of purchase a wv license. Talking him down from THAT ledge was LOADS of fun.)

Believe me, I could write my own movie about "Mine that Bird."

rrpic6
03-29-2014, 07:31 PM
I heard the part where he savages my arm got left on the editing room floor.
(And also the part where his trainer wanted to scratch instead of purchase a wv license. Talking him down from THAT ledge was LOADS of fun.)

Believe me, I could write my own movie about "Mine that Bird."

I heard lots of crazy stories about that lost weekend the "Limping Cowboy" had. I can't remember the winner off the top of my head...a coupled entry from Woodbine...maybe....but anyways..... A nice big tri and daily double hit for me!!! Maybe he should have shared his party favors with Mine That Bird....or at least trained him a little bit that month.

RR

Shelby
03-29-2014, 08:54 PM
I'm a huge Mine That Bird fan. I would love to hear your stories mountain man!

JustRalph
03-29-2014, 10:39 PM
I keep watching the theater listings to see if it will play around here. No such luck yet.

They are releasing it in waves. It's coming to Texas this week.

I don't see Kansas on the website. The 50-1 movie website is here
http://www.50to1themovie.com

But you can follow them on twitter too

JustRalph
04-04-2014, 06:47 PM
LoneStar park this Saturday

BMustang
04-04-2014, 07:17 PM
I'm thinking it is going into widespread theaters on April 18th.

BettinBilly
04-04-2014, 07:30 PM
The Trailer looks good.

I was at a Barnes and Noble yesterday perusing the sports books, nothing on Horse Racing.
Magazines, same thing.

Except for the Cover of "Cowboys and Indians" magazine touting the new "Cowboys get a horse to the Derby" - "50 to 1".

Caught my attention. First I had seen the movie touted.

Shelby
04-05-2014, 11:46 AM
They are releasing it in waves. It's coming to Texas this week.

I don't see Kansas on the website. The 50-1 movie website is here
http://www.50to1themovie.com

But you can follow them on twitter too

Thanks Ralph!

Tom
04-05-2014, 11:56 AM
uj0GtRI4Ulo

v j stauffer
04-05-2014, 12:02 PM
uj0GtRI4Ulo

Hey wait just a minute. That was my call when he ran at Hollywood Park.

COPYRIGHTED!

v j stauffer
04-05-2014, 12:20 PM
Mike Smith was offered the call on Mine That Bird. He would end up getting under me and Rosario on Chocolate Candy even though we finished second on 'Candy to Pioneer Of The Nile in the SA Derby.

Smith's agent Brad Pegram gave me the number to call the MTB people. Discussed it with Rosario and gave them a call. They were interested and we were interested. We decided what the heck. Even if he's 50-1. Let's go for the experience. Called back the next day and said were in. Where do we send the receipts for the plane flight, hotel, transfers and expenses?

Hold on. If you wanna ride him we'll give it strong consideration but we're not paying for anything.

We had a ton of live horses that entire weekend at Hollywood Park. Decided to pass and stay home.

Word around the campfire was that Borel finally got the mount because he was local.

Cest La Vie.

Shelby
03-19-2015, 09:37 PM
Mike Smith was offered the call on Mine That Bird. He would end up getting under me and Rosario on Chocolate Candy even though we finished second on 'Candy to Pioneer Of The Nile in the SA Derby.

Smith's agent Brad Pegram gave me the number to call the MTB people. Discussed it with Rosario and gave them a call. They were interested and we were interested. We decided what the heck. Even if he's 50-1. Let's go for the experience. Called back the next day and said were in. Where do we send the receipts for the plane flight, hotel, transfers and expenses?

Hold on. If you wanna ride him we'll give it strong consideration but we're not paying for anything.

We had a ton of live horses that entire weekend at Hollywood Park. Decided to pass and stay home.

Word around the campfire was that Borel finally got the mount because he was local.

Cest La Vie.

WOW great story! I'm just now reading this because I just got an alert that I can buy 50-1 the movie on Amazon.

Here is the link if anyone is interested.

http://www.amazon.com/50-To-1-Skeet-Ulrich/dp/B00TRAO8VQ?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=sphe-50to1-social-20

Lemon Drop Husker
03-19-2015, 10:05 PM
WOW great story! I'm just now reading this because I just got an alert that I can buy 50-1 the movie on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/50-To-1-Skeet-Ulrich/dp/B00TRAO8VQ?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=sphe-50to1-social-20

Pardon me if I'm a little sick about that one, but I had the other 50/1 shot in Summer Bird that day.

I also had that magical Super with Pioneer Of the Nile, Musket Man, and Papa Clem along with him as he finished 6th. That Super that paid a life changing $278K plus.

Summer Bird then went on to romp in the Belmont to much my satisfaction, but that was a day I really see that was soooo close to being one for the ages.

Friend along with us fired Mine That Bird strictly due to Calvin Borel who was on fire the 2 days before the KD. He paid for much! ;)

letswastemoney
03-19-2015, 10:06 PM

http://www.amazon.com/50-To-1-Skeet-Ulrich/dp/B00TRAO8VQ?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&tag=sphe-50to1-social-20I wonder if there's a streaming version somewhere. My new laptop doesn't have a DVD drive.

Redboard
03-19-2015, 10:19 PM
It looks like neither Amazon Instant Video nor Netflix Instant have any plans to offer it. Netflix has no plans to carry the dvd version either, from what I can tell. The only option, at this point, is to purchase the DVD. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

parlay
03-19-2015, 11:11 PM
I watched it on the airplane the other day. I enjoyed it, even shed a few tears. It was surprisingly good, and kept me entertained. Worth the watch for racing fans

bcgreg
03-20-2015, 09:01 AM
It says here that video on demand will release same day as DVD:

http://www.50to1themovie.com/release1.html

bcgreg

forced89
03-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Great news. I have been waiting for this DVD for a long time.

jk3521
03-20-2015, 11:31 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777595/

Budgeted 10 million dollars , earned a little over a million. Oh , well.

mountainman
03-23-2015, 01:35 PM
I'm a huge Mine That Bird fan. I would love to hear your stories mountain man!

Since mtb is a gelding, my wheels started turning before he'd even galloped out in the derby. Soon after, I called his trainer and got a favorable response. Any colt having netted the derby would have connections consumed with year-end honors, but as I'd suspected, a big pile of soft purse money held considerable allure for team mtb.

We caught a break when they developed a paralyzing (and, at the time, slightly puzzling) fear of the filly, and she declared for Monmouth. R.a would , of course, go on to justify their fear, but the primary reason they were ducking her would not be apparent until sources I trust and respect informed me that mtb was galloping dead lame here.

Although a decidedly poor performance in our derby would validate those accounts, mtb remains our biggest 'get' and perhaps finest hour.

When you get the thing you covet most in life, is it EVER what you had thought it would be??

forced89
03-24-2015, 11:04 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1777595/

Budgeted 10 million dollars , earned a little over a million. Oh , well.

Not my problem. I just want to see the movie!

davew
03-24-2015, 01:13 PM
It looks like neither Amazon Instant Video nor Netflix Instant have any plans to offer it. Netflix has no plans to carry the dvd version either, from what I can tell. The only option, at this point, is to purchase the DVD. You can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think Netflix does - save it to your DVD list - they have Availibity as Releases April 2015

everything they show looks similar to The Gambler (with Wahlberg)
and Amazon has -> This title will be released on April 28, 2015.

davew
04-03-2015, 07:50 PM
50 to 1

releases on Netflix DVD 4/28/2015

hougie
04-04-2015, 09:31 AM
Jeez Ive been waiting forever for this movie to come out and it was only in select theatres anyway. Finally it looks like we can own the dvd. I bet Ive searched 50 times over the past 2 years on amazon instant video hoping it would be available. Heck it might not even be that good but any halfway decent horse racing movie is definitely going in my collection.

Redboard
04-04-2015, 10:30 AM
I think Netflix does - save it to your DVD list - they have Availibity as Releases April 2015

Yea. Thanks. I see it now. I stand corrected. Cool. Seems like it's been forever to be available, but, I just checked, and it wasn't initially released to theaters until 3/2014.
I guess it's just the nature of our world today, we expect everything yesterday.
Tom Durkin ripped his portrayal in the movie. I'm looking forward to seeing this. (no spoilers please)

FantasticDan
04-18-2015, 06:35 PM
Bloodhorse review:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/keeping-pace/archive/2015/04/16/mine-that-bird-movie-struggles-to-find-footing.aspx

forced89
04-29-2015, 12:50 AM
I picked up the DVD today at my local Red Box. Cost me all of $1.62 to rent. I enjoyed the movie. Just wish they had used actual race video. Otherwise very entertaining. Down the road when it starts selling on Ebay for between $5 and $7 I will probably buy a DVD for my collection.

tanner12oz
04-29-2015, 06:18 AM
I don't think it ever was released in a Pennsylvania theater

jk3521
04-29-2015, 07:14 AM
To get off the immediate subject of the movie, I just went back and watched the call of the race as done by Tom Durkin that day . Not one of the calls I'm sure he would've liked being shown in any of his tributes this past year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_jAM7vBJY4

A little embarrassing !

TheGarMan
04-29-2015, 08:11 AM
I normally love his work, but I tend to agree with you here...

I have watched this clip dozens of times, and always wondered, how does he not "call" Mine That Bird as he is taking the lead?

Worse yet, (and with the benefit of knowing the outcome) it seems like forever until he even notices MTB.

I am sure he wishes he could call that stretch run over again...

Maybe that is the beauty of a 50-1 longshot. Even Durkin was surprised. :D

davew
05-14-2015, 09:44 AM
I just returned to Netflix the movie 50 to 1
I liked it and comparable to Secretariat, Phar Lap - but lower budget with actors

An interesting movie. it was said they tried t keep it factual.

Most surprising was how condescending and cocky they made Baffert look.
I guess it is true that some horses can make any trainer loo good.

I watched all Mine That Bird races on Xpressbet replays - won mdn claimer for 62,500 at WO - last 2 races had Lukas as trainer and did no better
Chantel rode as well as anyone - best running style was S, faded as EP

forced89
05-14-2015, 09:56 AM
I liked it and comparable to Secretariat, Phar Lap - but lower budget with actors.

IMO better than Secretariat, not as good as Seabiscuit!

RacingFan1992
05-14-2015, 11:45 AM
If anyone is looking for the movie, they have it at Wal-Mart. I picked up my copy a few weeks ago and thought it was an okay movie. I would agree that Seabiscuit is the best so far.

tanner12oz
05-14-2015, 09:56 PM
I saw it yesterday and was much better then I expected. Not cinema greatness but it was fun.

tanner12oz
05-14-2015, 09:59 PM
I picked up the DVD today at my local Red Box. Cost me all of $1.62 to rent. I enjoyed the movie. Just wish they had used actual race video. Otherwise very entertaining. Down the road when it starts selling on Ebay for between $5 and $7 I will probably buy a DVD for my collection.

how about calvin? Talk about hamming it up

Shelby
05-25-2015, 06:24 PM
I finally sat down and watched it this afternoon. I really enjoyed it! I hope that people weren't truly that rude to the owners of MTB. And, is Bob B. REALLY that big of a jerk????

I could watch that race a million times.

And, I thought Calvin was good in the movie. Whatta ham :)

PoloUK6108
05-25-2015, 08:24 PM
I thought it was terrible to be honest. Like something you'd see on Hallmark channel. Calvin was the best part, if that tells you anything. Extremely corny.

Dark Horse
05-26-2015, 01:44 AM
The payoff at the end, predictable as it was, stood out, but one way of achieving that is to make the leadup to it as boring as possible. The characters were one-dimensional, the central drama (trainer learns to get along with female exercise rider during trip to Louisville) was irrelevant, and the horse was almost an afterthought until the big race. Of course there was the meaningful talk between trainer and horse in the stable, that turned both of their luck around. There is absolutely no movie here without the ending. All it did for me was make me miss 'Luck', the HBO series with Dustin Hoffman.

ultracapper
05-26-2015, 01:59 AM
Comcast On Demand has it, so I just watched it. Best part was watching the overhead view of the race itself. That was quite a trip Borel gave him. He had more horse than anybody by far at the 3/8ths pole.

The movie was not good, IMO. The icy cold Arabs and the smarmy Baffert was the worst. I'm sure neither group gave "the cowboys" a second thought until the 1/8th pole.

Kybred
05-26-2015, 12:44 PM
I was doing some surveying work at CD for an engineering company in Louisville a couple of years ago and MTB was on display by the museum. By "on display" I mean they have a stall and a small enclosure where the horse stays for sometime so the visitors can get a glimpse. Not allowed to approach the horse within touching distance, but not that far away either(maybe ten feet or less). I would go over during a break and just watch him and noticed two things...1. Very small horse and 2. Very well natured. When I say small. I'm 6'1" and the top of his shoulder appeared to be about the bottom of my chin...and I've got a big ole head.
I want to check the movie out for sure, any HD versions because NETFLIX movies are not.

FantasticDan
05-26-2015, 03:54 PM
I saw it last week.. agreed that the production value has cable movie written all over it, but it does have its moments (especially for race fans), and I thought Skeet Ulrich did a good job as Wooley.

Any truth to the scene where the guy is yelling and pounding on the plexiglass in the announcer's booth desperately trying to get Durkin's attention about Mine that Bird coming up the rail? :bang: :p