PDA

View Full Version : Race 9 at Aqueduct

tzipi
03-28-2014, 05:19 PM
What was with Jose Otiz standing up waay before the wire and stopping his ride on See The Music?? Is it me or did he completely stop riding? Won by a hair. Geez.

cj
03-28-2014, 05:20 PM
Really, that was embarrassing.

tzipi
03-28-2014, 05:25 PM

Yeah it was. I mean he wasn't even close to the wire. I along with other people, have money on the horse and you don't ride out the race?? Horrible. One of the worst "stop rides" I have ever seen.

Stillriledup
03-28-2014, 05:30 PM

You could also make the case that it was shady.

cj
03-28-2014, 05:32 PM
You could also make the case that it was shady.

I never buy that. If you want to stiff a horse you don't put it on the lead and pull up late. I think it was just being either lazy, or trying to be cool.

Stillriledup
03-28-2014, 05:38 PM
I never buy that. If you want to stiff a horse you don't put it on the lead and pull up late. I think it was just being either lazy, or trying to be cool.

But a lot of people buy it....and this game doesnt need anymore perception problems. Also, if a jock can just excuse away his ride by saying he fell asleep and the judges buy it lock, stock and barrel, why would a jock who wants to stiff a horse and finish exactly 2nd care if it looks bad or not? Its not like these guys ever get in trouble no matter how bad it looks. They know they're teflon and can do anything on the track and nothing will ever happen to them.

tzipi
03-28-2014, 06:06 PM
I agree with CJ, if he was going to throw the race why do it with that ride but up front, but it was weird that he was pulling the reins back and even the fourth jump before the wire you see the horses head snap back a bit. Ridiculous....weird....horrible.

Silver florin
03-28-2014, 07:00 PM
Ortiz should count his blessings,he stoped riding the horse the last 20 or so yards,I don't think it was shady,but I think he should get days for that ride.

appistappis
03-28-2014, 07:44 PM
I had the super either way but was hoping the 2 got there.....it appeared that ortiz just missed him and thought he was home and cooled out. It certainly didn't look very professional.

tzipi
03-28-2014, 07:59 PM
Ortiz should count his blessings,he stoped riding the horse the last 20 or so yards,I don't think it was shady,but I think he should get days for that ride.

I love the Ortiz brothers but I agree, Jose should get days. People are betting on these horses. You have to try to the end in that situation. If he was back and a problem arose with the horse or the horses seemed overly tired or injured, I would agree to stop racing. But he had a winning horses running fine and he just quit the ride. Lucky he help on.

But yes, I think a few days should be given to let him now and let the fans now, this will not be tolerated.

WJ47
03-28-2014, 08:49 PM
I hate to criticize jockeys, but it seems like the Ortiz brothers either ride like champions or give a horrendous ride.

wisconsin
03-28-2014, 08:59 PM
I'm pretty sure he thought he had it won. The :2: came up the rail out of nowhere. His mount was drifting out and extremely tired.

tzipi
03-28-2014, 09:01 PM
I'm pretty sure he thought he had it won. The :2: came up the rail out of nowhere. His mount was drifting out and extremely tired.

I thought the horse was running on strong until he stood up before the wire and then the horse stopped running.

Tom
03-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Give him days.
When you have thousands of dollars bet on your ride, you damn sure better give it 100% every time. Anything less is unacceptable. These pinheads need to be taught a very expensive lesson. I'd give him two weeks, if he appeals, three.

greengorilla
03-28-2014, 10:51 PM
He wrapped up before the wire because he thought he was home free, and didn't see the 2 horse until it was to late. Riders standing up before the wire is becoming more and more common in our sport.

Poindexter
03-28-2014, 11:30 PM
When I watch the head on the horse was lugging out pretty badly until he took hold when he straightened out but the horse looked extremely erratic after that even after the wire. I will take the naive viewpoint here and conclude that he took hold for a reason. Extremely lucky to win and it looks really bad. At least watch the head on and see what you think. I am not trying to sell anything here, just trying to make sense of it. :) Anyways glad he held on or else there would be a lot of angry folks out there.

JustRalph
03-29-2014, 12:00 AM
http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/videos/20140328/9/

He never saw it coming. Who was on the :2:

Love that he kept coming

Btw, that NYRA website is possibly the best in racing. They really have that thing dialed in. Looks great, works great :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
03-29-2014, 09:30 AM
The jockey look like he sensed something had gone wrong with the horse and was getting ready for a quick exit if needed. Maybe he heard a pop or felt something. The way horse was lugging out in mid stretch despite the jockey trying to get it back to the rail tells me horse has soreness issues. That's my take.

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2014, 03:35 PM
I disagree completely Robert.

I see this as a bonehead ride. Nothing more, nothing less. No chicanery. No "he felt something go wrong with the horse."

It's obvious he thought he had the race all wrapped up. He was obviously quite wrong.

As our President would say..."a teachable moment" for Mr. Ortiz.

Stillriledup
03-29-2014, 03:47 PM
It doesn't matter if there was "chicanery" because nobody there would have investigated it on that end anyway. They're not going to review betting records and try sniff out if this was a "boat race" and if "envelopes" of cash changed hands, so to the bettors, there's really no difference if there was 'chicanery' or it was just a bonehead mistake.

As far as thinking you have the race wrapped up, bettors dont care about that, you ride all the way to the wire, bettors could care less if he "Saves something" for next week, its not like they own the horse.....jocks are paid very handsomely to ride that mount all the way thru the wire, thats what they're paid to do.

Watch Aaron Gryder ride No Easy Money in the 4th race at SA on Thursday, the horse was never a loser, he was a sure winner all the way and yet, he kept riding that horse all the way to the end, never grabbed him up and "Saved something" for another day. THATS how you ride. (or, as Will Smith might say "THATS HOW YOU DRIVE")

PaceAdvantage
03-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Why the rant SRU? Did I pat Ortiz on the head and forgive his ride?

No. I called it a bonehead ride. And you'll see those every now and then from almost EVERY jockey. Nothing you can do about it.

Stillriledup
03-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Why the rant SRU? Did I pat Ortiz on the head and forgive his ride?

No. I called it a bonehead ride. And you'll see those every now and then from almost EVERY jockey. Nothing you can do about it.

Because that's what i do. :D

I have a pet peeve about jocks who "think" on the track, i dont think we're asking much for them to ride hard all the way, and they can't even do that. I also have a sore spot for the jock in question in this race at Big A, thus, the rant. ;)