PDA

View Full Version : How Many Channels Do You Watch?

badcompany
03-27-2014, 06:52 PM
My Verizon FIOS cable package has about 700 channels. I was thinking about how many I REGULARLY watch.

I counted four:

CNBC
Bloomberg
Velocity
ESPN

That's less than 1%!

thaskalos
03-27-2014, 07:13 PM
I canceled my Directv service ($119-month) over a year ago...and replaced it with Netflix ($8-month). Best thing I've ever done. It sucks to pay for 700 channels, and have nothing to watch.

Marshall Bennett
03-27-2014, 07:20 PM
No more than a dozen here. News & sports.

lamboguy
03-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I canceled my Directv service ($119-month) over a year ago...and replaced it with Netflix ($8-month). Best thing I've ever done. It sucks to pay for 700 channels, and have nothing to watch.can you get TVG or HRTV on NFLX?

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2014, 09:32 PM
Beth and I bond on our evening TV shows. We spend about 90 minutes a night watching DVR'd shows without commercials.

Cable:
ABC
NBC
CBS
TNT
Fox
HBO (for series)

And, of course
RTN for racing via Dishnet

ManU918
03-27-2014, 11:19 PM
In no order off the top of my head...
ESPN
ESPN 2
ESPN U
FS1
NBCSN
Comcast Sports Net
BEIN (Spanish League Soccer)
ID
TVG
HRTV
FX
AMC
HBO
Starz
Showtime
Encore
Cinemax
CBS
ABC
NBC
Fox
CW
MLB Network
NFL Network
NHL Network
History
CNBC
CNN
Esquire
USA

ManU918
03-27-2014, 11:22 PM
can you get TVG or HRTV on NFLX?

No. You cant watch anything live on Netflix... Only past seasons of some television series' and some movies.

elysiantraveller
03-27-2014, 11:51 PM
All the ESPN's
FoxNews
CNN
Food
Comedy Central
FX
AMC
TNT
Fox Sports Detroit
Travel
Cartoon Network
IFC
TBS
WGN (Only when the Cubbies are on)

Those are in no particular order but thats pretty much it. Wish I had Al Jazeera but can't justify the upgrade to pick up just that and NBCSN which would be the only two I would watch. I didn't include the major networks simply because A) they are free anyway and B) I only watch them for sports as I feel all major network programming blows.

Dave Schwartz
03-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Okay, I am going for a re-post.

Beth and I bond on our evening TV shows. We spend about 90 minutes a night watching DVR'd shows without commercials.

Cable:
ABC
NBC
CBS
TNT
Fox
HBO (for series)

Other Good Stuff
NetFlix
Amazon Prime

And, of course
RTN for racing via Dishnet

dav4463
03-28-2014, 01:23 AM
My Verizon FIOS cable package has about 700 channels. I was thinking about how many I REGULARLY watch.

I counted four:

CNBC
Bloomberg
Velocity
ESPN

That's less than 1%!

So....you are the one who watches CNBC!!! :D

mostpost
03-28-2014, 01:39 AM
CBS
Amazing Race
The Good Wife
Survivor
Big Bang Theory
Sports
NBC
ABC
Fox
Bears Football
MSNBC
AMC
The Walking Dead
Showtime
Homeland
Masters of Sex
HB0
True Detective
The Newsroom
TVG and HRTV-more TVG
NBCSN
CBSSN
TVland
SYFY
CSN Chicago for Cubs and Bulls and Blackhawks.

I used to like the Learning Channel for its home remodeling shows, but not since it started showing things like Honey BOo Boo.

I watch Fox News if I have swallowed poison and need to vomit.

badcompany
03-28-2014, 07:54 AM
So....you are the one who watches CNBC!!! :D

Barely. I'll turn it on early in the morning to see if anything is going on, there usually isn't. However, if the ghastly Jim Cramer shows his grotesque face, I'm gone.

Robert Goren
03-28-2014, 08:28 AM
CBS mostly dramas & Big Bang Theory & Football
NBC the Blacklist & if I am up Seth Meyers
FOX Bones & football
ABC right now is a blank ,Castle if Blacklist is a rerun.
CNN for breaking news
TCM
PBS when the masterpiece mystery is running
Some assorted other cable channels when they are showing something like Longmire or Justified if I know they are on.
CNBC if I am in the hospital just to have something on.
some METV
ESPN and other sports channels.
Big Ten Network for some UNL sports.
I have about 80 channels and most never have anything I like
I have recently started Netflix, but I am beginning to have problems finding shows. I have used up the ones I wanted to see.

lamboguy
03-28-2014, 09:20 AM
about 10 years ago i was getting Dish Network. it had both HRTV and TVG and they were getting $25 a month, it also had CNBC and the weather channel. they added a few stations and charged about $10 a month more and i got rid of them. half the time in rain and windstorms, the signal went blank. i switched to Comcast and pay over $150 a month for more channels a phone and the internet hookup. no HRTV though.

DeltaLover
03-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Aside from NYRA's feed I watch exactly 0 TV chanels as I find the internet to be much preferable and pluralistic means of communication.

elysiantraveller
03-28-2014, 10:14 AM
NBC the Blacklist & if I am up Seth Meyers

I have recently started Netflix, but I am beginning to have problems finding shows. I have used up the ones I wanted to see.

:ThmbUp:

I do like the Blacklist (huge Spader fan) but only after I dvr it.

As far as Netflix streaming am I the only one that agrees with RG that their selection sucks lately with a single show showing up in 8 different submenu's some of which are completely unrelated? Is there some way to reset your viewing history because I feel like I've pigeonholed myself?

badcompany
03-28-2014, 10:57 AM
Aside from NYRA's feed I watch exactly 0 TV chanels as I find the internet to be much preferable and pluralistic means of communication.

I've definitely moved in this direction. With the exception of Football, I can't remember the last time I watched the major Networks.

I listen to a lot of podcasts. You often can get a forty minute interview with someone who is knowledgable about a topic which interests you. This as opposed to television where you get ten minute segments with five people all talking over each other.

JustRalph
03-28-2014, 11:25 AM
I was a cord cutter for a few months. The wife hated it. Hulu and Netflix just aren't there yet. Hulu forcing you to watch commercials and denying you certain shows just because you're watching on an iPad was too much for her to endure.

We recently moved and got the new customer discount from DISH. The Hopper is awesome. I dearly love it. The built in slingbox allows me to watch the DVR on any device from anywhere. Even my phone brings up my DVR from home while I'm waiting for my wife to shop etc. this includes live tv too. If it's on DISH I can watch it anywhere. Anytime. DVR'ed or not. I was watching TVG live the other day sitting in my truck in the mall parking lot while my wife was shopping.

It also works on my wireless network via a USB stick. Which means I have a box the size of a small router in the sun room. No cables. Just a power cord. It gets it's connection via my wireless network (the hopper is on the network also) and works almost flawlessly unless I am downloading or streaming a movie somewhere else in the house.

It's cheap the first year. But I really believe it's probably worth it at the full price.
I would pay up to 200 bucks for this a month. It's 89 for the first year. 250 channels or so.

elysiantraveller
03-28-2014, 11:37 AM
I was a cord cutter for a few months. The wife hated it. Hulu and Netflix just aren't there yet. Hulu forcing you to watch commercials and denying you certain shows just because you're watching on an iPad was too much for her to endure.

We recently moved and got the new customer discount from DISH. The Hopper is awesome. I dearly love it. The built in slingbox allows me to watch the DVR on any device from anywhere. Even my phone brings up my DVR from home while I'm waiting for my wife to shop etc. this includes live tv too. If it's on DISH I can watch it anywhere. Anytime. DVR'ed or not. I was watching TVG live the other day sitting in my truck in the mall parking lot while my wife was shopping.

It also works on my wireless network via a USB stick. Which means I have a box the size of a small xrouter in the sun room. No cables. Just a power cord. It gets it's connection via my wireless network (the hopper is on the network also) and works almost flawlessly unless I am downloading or streaming a movie somewhere else in the house.

It's cheap the first year. But I really believe it's probably worth it at the full price.
I would pay up to 200 bucks for this a month. It's 89 for the first year. 250 channels or so.
I love Dish. How many TV's do you have connected via Joeys? Considering switching over to the hopper.

JustRalph
03-28-2014, 11:56 AM
I love Dish. How many TV's do you have connected via Joeys? Considering switching over to the hopper.

3 Joey

I guess that's the limit with one Hopper.

I have a USB stick in one of them, that I can move around. I have a huge family room that I don't use much. So I move it around between the family room and the sun room. You just have to plug it into power and HDMI to the TV.

The sling box built in is the part I like the most. The DISH anywhere app on iPad and Android works great. I'm starting to talk like those Boston guys on the commercial.......I can even watch from my desktop in the office via my browser

therussmeister
03-28-2014, 12:16 PM
I watch the best of whatever is on broadcast TV during dinner most nights, and that's it. In my 58 years on this planet, I've never had cable or satellite TV.

classhandicapper
03-28-2014, 04:28 PM
I'm slowly eliminating all shows and networks that I perceive have a political agenda in their programming other than in cases where a discussion of politics is the purpose of the show.

If anyone is interested in buying a TV, let me know.

elysiantraveller
03-28-2014, 04:56 PM
I'm slowly eliminating all shows and networks that I perceive have a political agenda in their programming other than in cases where a discussion of politics is the purpose of the show.

If anyone is interested in buying a TV, let me know.

You might like Al Jazeera America. If you have it give it a shot. Most are put off by the name but its far and away the best true news reporting we have in the states.

lamboguy
03-28-2014, 06:15 PM
now i can understand the complete beef on this one. i just went through the channels they give me on cable television. i have 20 different stations that are like home shopping network, i never bought a thing or watched any of them in my entire life. then i went scrolling and found 12 station that only use Spanish as their language, they even had a weather channel in Spanish, at least when i call a business they ask me chose the language that i want i can still press 1 for english. i don't speak spanish, i don't speak chineese because they have 2 stations for that and i found one that is in Arabic, and another station called Al Jazaera. i never even knew i had these stations. last i looked, i still live in America, yet these guys running the cable television want us to pay for languages we don't understand. obviously they thing they can get away with it because there are plenty of suckers like me that don't know whats going on.

the cable company advertises they are giving you 100 stations, believe me they are giving away nothing but a headache.

NJ Stinks
03-28-2014, 06:35 PM
I've got DISH - about 250 TV stations. So I'll list in station order what we actually watch. Most cop shows are my wife's idea as well as a bunch of other shows below.

ME TV - lots of old shows like Perry Mason, Bonanza, the Untouchables, Rawhide, and F Troop.

CBS - Elementary, Blue Bloods, 60 Minutes, The Good Wife, The Mentalist, Person of Interest, The Big Bang Theory, NCIS

ABC - local news, Nightline, ABC World News, The View, Castle, Modern Family

NBC - Chicago Fire, The Black List, Saturday Night Live, Chicago PD

PBS - Masterpiece, Frontline, BBC News

USA - Law & Order

TV Land - King of Queens, Everybody Loves Raymond

Comedy Channel - The Daily Show

HGTV - Househunters International, Income Properties, Love It or List It

TCM - old movies

BBC America - Ripper Street, Graham Norton, Law & Order UK, Copper

FX - The Americans

ESPN

Major League Baseball Network

NFL Network - games only

Hallmark - Golden Girls, Cheers, Frazier

CNN

FOX News

MSNBC

CSPAN

WGN - Cubs Games

HBO - Bill Maher, movies

Cinemax - Boobs mostly ;) and movies sometimes

HRTV

TVG

GOLF Channel - oh yea!

One other note. We dumped Comcast for DISH about 10 years ago for the racing channels. That means I can't watch the Phillies, 76ers, or Flyers the vast majority of the time. Oh well, at least my priorities are in order! :cool:

elysiantraveller
03-28-2014, 08:46 PM
and another station called Al Jazaera.
Its Al Jazeera America its alot like Headline News and its in English.

barn32
03-28-2014, 09:07 PM
I don't watch news or sports on TV.

The only show I watch on network TV is 60 minutes.

What do I watch?

PBS
History
A&E

Once in awhile a movie on TCM.

lamboguy
03-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Its Al Jazeera America its alot like Headline News and its in English.
what a break that is!

Tom
03-28-2014, 10:20 PM
TNT - good series, Dallas, Rizzoli and Isles
Discovery - Survivorman, Amish Mafia
Smithsonian Channel
Military Channel
History Channel - Axmen, Ice Road Truckers
Animal Planet - Gator Boys
Esquire - The Horseplayers
Spike - Bar Rescue, Cops
Food Network - Triple D, Chopped
MSG+ - NYRA replay shows
FOX News - Housecalls,
USA/Sfy - WWE shows
NatGeo - varrious shows
TVG, HTR
Skinamax, er, Cineamax!
TMC whenever a good film is on. Love the old B&W movies. Nothing like Humphrey Bogart movies. Here's looking at you, kid.

elysiantraveller
03-28-2014, 11:37 PM
what a break that is!
Ever watched it or just doling out blind judgement?

elysiantraveller
03-28-2014, 11:43 PM
I forgot Discovery Channel. Big fan of naked and afraid.

redshift1
03-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Ever watched it or just doling out blind judgement?

Definitely worth watching for a less frenetic newscast.

lamboguy
03-29-2014, 03:54 AM
Ever watched it or just doling out blind judgement?i am sure it is no worse than Fox News or MSNBC. its just another media outlet that compromises the truth for their own agenda just like all the others.

upthecreek
03-29-2014, 07:09 AM
I watch them all -All 300+ I like to get my $100 a month worth!

elysiantraveller
03-29-2014, 11:38 AM
i am sure it is no worse than Fox News or MSNBC. its just another media outlet that compromises the truth for their own agenda just like all the others.

No it doesn't. Thats why its better than either of those.

lamboguy
03-29-2014, 12:06 PM
No it doesn't. Thats why its better than either of those.if anything they are worse, they are owned by the government of Qatar, last i heard Fox and NBC are not owned by any government

Marshall Bennett
03-29-2014, 12:08 PM
I watch them all -All 300+ I like to get my $100 a month worth!
You mean all, as in all today? Perhaps all, as in the next 90 days? Maybe all, as in zooming thru the channel guide? :)

rastajenk
03-29-2014, 03:08 PM
GOLF Channel - oh yea!
I had to look through this thread twice to find a Golf Channel honorable mention; I knew there had to be one. Waytogo, Stinks. :ThmbUp:

TJDave
03-29-2014, 03:41 PM
if anything they are worse, they are owned by the government of Qatar, last i heard Fox and NBC are not owned by any government

The government of Qatar is one guy and it is illegal to criticize him.

Tells you all you need to know about the objectivity of Al Jazeera. :rolleyes:

elysiantraveller
03-29-2014, 04:41 PM
Love people that judge stuff without at least educating themselves. I spent my entire childhood hating sour cream... then I tried it once...

NJ Stinks
03-29-2014, 07:59 PM
I had to look through this thread twice to find a Golf Channel honorable mention; I knew there had to be one. Waytogo, Stinks. :ThmbUp:

Thanks, Rasta! :cool:

Tom reminded me I forgot to add Esquire for The Horseplayers show and I forgot to credit ABC for Jeopardy.

Tom
03-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Love people that judge stuff without at least educating themselves. I spent my entire childhood hating sour cream... then I tried it once...

When is spoils, does it stop being sour?

thaskalos
03-29-2014, 09:34 PM
How does it taste? I've been hating sour cream for over 52 years.

elysiantraveller
03-29-2014, 10:57 PM
How does it taste? I've been hating sour cream for over 52 years.
Like frosting... for tacos... :cool:

Dahoss2002
03-30-2014, 05:30 AM
DirecTv and Dish need to "man-up" and offer 30 channels viewer choice for 50 bux a month but that would be to close to righteousness :lol:

reckless
03-30-2014, 06:18 AM
if anything they are worse, they are owned by the government of Qatar, last i heard Fox and NBC are not owned by any government

While NBC may not be owned by the government, they are sure as hell are rented by them.

JustRalph
03-30-2014, 08:05 AM
While NBC may not be owned by the government, they are sure as hell are rented by them.

Great line!! :ThmbUp: