PDA

View Full Version : Holy Bull

alhattab
03-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Typically outstanding piece by Haskin. I know PA enjoy(ed) it and others will too. I got chills when I read it. I have one of those Holy Bull buttons, acquired at the annual Monmouth Park sales supporting the Don MacBeth fund. I've been looking for one of the t-shirts forever. Brings back terrific memories of a truly great racehorse.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/horse-racing-steve-haskin/archive/2014/03/27/holy-bull-s-legend-born-20-years-ago.aspx

cj
03-27-2014, 11:19 AM
One of my best memories in racing is seeing Holy Bull's first race at Monmouth Park. Almost certain it was a week day and I was working the night shift. I stayed up after work to make his speed figure, couldn't wait until the next day!

PaceAdvantage
03-27-2014, 12:27 PM
I was just about to create a thread about this Haskin piece. Yup...Holy Bull is my favorite horse EVER...I fell in love with that horse like no other before or since.

This article brought back a lot of memories...

I'll never forget visiting Holy Bull at Jonabell not too many years after he retired...wish I could remember where those photos went...

He was the pure definition of monster.

Also, I think over the years a lot less people doubt Croll's claim as to why Holy Bull performed so poorly in the Derby....

JustRalph
03-27-2014, 01:12 PM
watching the races on youtube and considering the fractions, it blows away anything we see today

PaceAdvantage
03-27-2014, 01:20 PM
My Mike Smith autographed finish line photo of Holy Bull's Travers is a prized possession of mine.

But I will never forgive him for saying Zenyatta was the best horse he ever rode. :lol:

ronsmac
03-27-2014, 01:25 PM
My Mike Smith autographed finish line photo of Holy Bull's Travers is a prized possession of mine.

But I will never forgive him for saying Zenyatta was the best horse he ever rode. :lol:
I've only loved 3 horses, Seattle Slew, Holy Bull and Zenyatta. I do believe the Bull is third on that list but only by a nose.

andtheyreoff
03-27-2014, 05:08 PM
One of my best memories in racing is seeing Holy Bull's first race at Monmouth Park. Almost certain it was a week day and I was working the night shift. I stayed up after work to make his speed figure, couldn't wait until the next day!

August 14, 1993 (which was a Saturday). Used to be on youtube...wish KirisClown would put it back up.

Trivia- without looking it up, does anyone know who rode Da Bull in his debut?

alhattab
03-27-2014, 05:42 PM
August 14, 1993 (which was a Saturday). Used to be on youtube...wish KirisClown would put it back up.

L Rivera, Jr

cj
03-27-2014, 05:48 PM

Hmmm, I was an AC guy so I worked Saturday's too in the summer, so that makes sense. I remember Palance was also highly touted in the field, but didn't turn out to be much.

affirmedny
03-27-2014, 05:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SniG8xB334Y

andtheyreoff
03-27-2014, 06:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SniG8xB334Y

Did not realize it was still up. Thanks for that.

And Rivera is correct.

RunDustyRun
03-27-2014, 08:33 PM
Great job by Mr. Haskin....one of my favorites as well and I'm not sure any horse will ever replicate his three year old campaign...a true warrior on the track and I seem to throw his progeny into any verticals I play because of him

rubicon55
03-27-2014, 09:18 PM
Thanks for posting the article, articles or experiences like that makes me stick with the game. Whether its comes to me live or not it still gives me chills reliving that wonderful expression of animal courage and strength that to some degree I think wish we all could have as humans. There is nothing on this planet like it. Thank you.

Stillriledup
03-27-2014, 09:37 PM

I was at GP for his Fla Derby win, i was at the top of the stretch right by the fence, seeing him steaming around that turn on the lead is etched in my head like it was yesterday.

BIG49010
03-27-2014, 10:52 PM
I'm just sorry he broke down against Cigar, I was looking forward to a great race between those two horses.

alhattab
03-27-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm just sorry he broke down against Cigar, I was looking forward to a great race between those two horses.

The Bull's career has provided me with some indelible memories. The day he broke down against Cigar is definitely one of them. It must be like the Kennedy Assassination was to some people. I was in the Handicapper Room at The Meadowlands. I believe it was Feb 10, 1995 (I didn't look up) and that the Devils played across the way that afternoon. Was watching at the TV in the area you'd hit after making a hard left at the door and walking past the bar. Another is his Met Mile win. I was at Belmont that day and I recall sitting on the 3rd floor when the first flash of the betting came through. I believe the Bull was 1/5 in the first flash. He drifted up to even money. You know the rest.

OK I looked up the Donn- it was Feb 11.

As an aside, Belmont was so special then, wasn't it? Thinking back, it was a privilege just to be there. The Met Mile was always a big deal it seemed. Housebuster and Easy Goer being surprised by Criminal Type in 1990 and the Bull in 1994 stand out, as does Easy Goer's Belmont.

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2014, 04:29 PM
I'm with you alhattab. I remember sneaking out of work to go to an OTB to watch the Donn. And I vividly remember the devastation I felt as I watched Holy Bull pull up injured. I didn't even stay to watch the rest of the race. I just got up out of my seat (I think I was sitting) and walked out of the place and drove back to work. That was the lowest low I have ever felt while watching a horse race.

But, thankfully, it was only a career ending injury, and not a life ending one.

Here is a pic Grits took of Holy Bull some years ago that she graciously sent me, framed and all. It was tough to get a good "picture of a picture" using my iPhone, but I thought I'd share the pic with all at the nudging of Grits herself... :ThmbUp:

http://www.paceadvantage.com/images/HB_Grits.jpg

Grits
03-30-2014, 04:54 PM
"Your fella" was incredible at Jonabell that day. This was around 1999 or 2000, there by myself, I spent a lot of time with him, feeding him carrots and mints. I sat on the ground by his paddock watching him move about, then coming back to me for more treats. Taking photos of him on a cloudy day. So kind and gentle, he was.

What a champion. .... He needs a heart icon. <3

PaceAdvantage
03-30-2014, 06:33 PM
Wow, I didn't realize the photo was that old...

nijinski
03-30-2014, 07:45 PM
Beautiful photo Grits and PA thanks for sharing.

Another great horse that a film could be produced one day.

Croll must have made quite an impression to have inherited those
horses . Imagine getting Holy Bull as a gift . Great times !

RacingFan1992
03-30-2014, 08:29 PM
I would love to get something like Holy Bull as a present.
Open your door and there standing is a beautiful grey colt with absolutely NO Native Dancer/Northern Dancer/Bold Ruler in him at all.
A TRUE GENETIC GEM.

nijinski
03-30-2014, 08:54 PM
I would love to get something like Holy Bull as a present.
Open your door and there standing is a beautiful grey colt with absolutely NO Native Dancer/Northern Dancer/Bold Ruler in him at all.
A TRUE GENETIC GEM.

An interesting phenomena , and a Fla bred to boot .

The Bull has some fine turf genes too and if you like the greys ,Broodmare
sire Al Hattab had the homozygous gene, so only sired grey foals . Not the same with HB but has sired plenty .

iceknight
03-30-2014, 09:06 PM
That's a beautiful photo! Thanks to Grits and Mike for sharing it!

horses4courses
08-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Retweeted by Neigh Savers
Melissa Bauer-Herzog ‏@mbauerherzog 10m
Since it's Travers week, here is a #TBT to 1994 Travers winner Holy Bull at @DarleyStallions last January.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BvnDZTnCcAA8CXM.jpg

RacingFan1992
08-22-2014, 05:39 AM
WOW! The Derby, The Donn, and The Fountain of Youth were his only losses and off the boards.

Frost king
08-22-2014, 08:20 AM
And the day he lost the Fountain of Youth, it cost me the Pick Six at Gulfstream. The first and last time they tried to rate him!

PaceAdvantage
08-22-2014, 09:32 AM
And the day he lost the Fountain of Youth, it cost me the Pick Six at Gulfstream. The first and last time they tried to rate him!He flipped his pallet that day in the FOY...Smith said you could hear him making all sorts of noises, struggling to breath...he's had some pretty good excuses for all of his losses...I don't believe that rating was a problem for this horse...not that he ever rated much (and rating for HIM was still sitting closer than most...lol)

alhattab
08-22-2014, 09:47 AM
He flipped his pallet that day in the FOY...Smith said you could hear him making all sorts of noises, struggling to breath...he's had some pretty good excuses for all of his losses...I don't believe that rating was a problem for this horse...not that he ever rated much (and rating for HIM was still sitting closer than most...lol)

20 year anniversary of The Bull's epic Travers score is, effectively, tomorrow. "As game as a racehorse can be!"

magwell
08-22-2014, 10:08 AM
20 year anniversary of The Bull's epic Travers score is, effectively, tomorrow. "As game as a racehorse can be!"Indeed and a nice colt to be around, it was a ankle fracture that ended his career in the Donn.........